Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,657 members, 7,809,487 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:27 AM

Jesus' Earthly Ministry Lasted A Little More Than Two Years - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus' Earthly Ministry Lasted A Little More Than Two Years (1298 Views)

Heavenly Reward Vs Earthly Reward: Hilarious Photo / Pastor Psalm Okpe Of Fresh Oil Ministry And The Singer That Died In Benin Hotel / Why Doesn't God Answer Mankind Like Earthly Fathers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jesus' Earthly Ministry Lasted A Little More Than Two Years by Kei144(m): 9:50am On May 24, 2015
Why is it that a lot of things you hear in the churches do not agree with the Bible? I have always heard that Jesus ministered on earth for 3½ years. This morning I decided to see if I could see in the Bible the time of the year Jesus began his ministry. And I saw in the gospel according to John not only the time when Jesus began the ministry, but also all the time that the ministry covered. So, popular church leaders of the past just came up with their own ideas and the church people accepted these ideas as God's ideas, because the popular leaders were called men of God.

Ideas like trinity and assumption of Mary are nowhere in the Bible. Modern Christians still hold to these ideas and accuse any person refuting them of blasphemy.

Jesus began his ministry in the month of Abib (Nissan). He was crucified just before Passover of the third year. The ministry lasted two years and two weeks, by Jewish calendar; roughly two years of the Gregorian calendar.

In order to get the timing in the gospel of John, begin at Jn. 1:32.

Jn. 2:1 On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there,
Jn. 2:2 and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding.

This was third day of Jesus' ministry.

Jn. 2:13 When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem.

Jn. 2:23 Now while he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many people saw the miraculous signs he was doing and believed in his name. [Or and believed in him]

Jn. 4:45 When he arrived in Galilee, the Galileans welcomed him. They had seen all that he had done in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, for they also had been there.

Jn. 6:4 The Jewish Passover Feast was near.

This was the beginning of the second year; in the month of Abib (Nissan).

Jn. 7:2 But when the Jewish Feast of Tabernacles was near,
Jn. 7:3 Jesus’ brothers said to him, “You ought to leave here and go to Judea, so that your disciples may see the miracles you do.

Jn. 10:22 Then came the Feast of Dedication [That is, Hanukkah] at Jerusalem. It was winter,
Jn. 10:23 and Jesus was in the temple area walking in Solomon’s Colonnade.

Jn. 11:55 When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, many went up from the country to Jerusalem for their ceremonial cleansing before the Passover.

This is the month of Abib (Nisan) of the third year.

Jn. 12:1 Six days before the Passover, Jesus arrived at Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead.

Jn. 13:1 It was just before the Passover Feast. Jesus knew that the time had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love. [Or he loved them to the last]
Re: Jesus' Earthly Ministry Lasted A Little More Than Two Years by dolphinheart(m): 2:07pm On May 24, 2015
Kei144:
Why is it that a lot of things you hear in the churches do not agree with the Bible? I have always heard that Jesus ministered on earth for 3½ years. This morning I decided to see if I could see in the Bible the time of the year Jesus began his ministry. And I saw in the gospel according to John not only the time when Jesus began the ministry, but also all the time that the ministry covered. So, popular church leaders of the past just came up with their own ideas and the church people accepted these ideas as God's ideas, because the popular leaders were called men of God.

Ideas like trinity and assumption of Mary are nowhere in the Bible. Modern Christians still hold to these ideas and accuse any person refuting them of blasphemy.

Jesus began his ministry in the month of Abib (Nissan). He was crucified just before Passover of the third year. The ministry lasted two years and two weeks, by Jewish calendar; roughly two years of the Gregorian calendar.

In order to get the timing in the gospel of John, begin at Jn. 1:32.

Jn. 2:1 On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there,
Jn. 2:2 and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding.

This was third day of Jesus' ministry.

Jn. 2:13 When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem.

Jn. 2:23 Now while he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many people saw the miraculous signs he was doing and believed in his name. [Or and believed in him]

Jn. 4:45 When he arrived in Galilee, the Galileans welcomed him. They had seen all that he had done in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, for they also had been there.

Jn. 6:4 The Jewish Passover Feast was near.

This was the beginning of the second year; in the month of Abib (Nissan).

Jn. 7:2 But when the Jewish Feast of Tabernacles was near,
Jn. 7:3 Jesus’ brothers said to him, “You ought to leave here and go to Judea, so that your disciples may see the miracles you do.

Jn. 10:22 Then came the Feast of Dedication [That is, Hanukkah] at Jerusalem. It was winter,
Jn. 10:23 and Jesus was in the temple area walking in Solomon’s Colonnade.

Jn. 11:55 When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, many went up from the country to Jerusalem for their ceremonial cleansing before the Passover.

This is the month of Abib (Nisan) of the third year.

Jn. 12:1 Six days before the Passover, Jesus arrived at Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead.

Jn. 13:1 It was just before the Passover Feast. Jesus knew that the time had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love. [Or he loved them to the last]

Are you saying that jesus ministry was for 2 and half years jewish calender and just over 2 years in our modern day calender?
Re: Jesus' Earthly Ministry Lasted A Little More Than Two Years by Kei144(m): 3:16pm On May 24, 2015
dolphinheart:

Are you saying that jesus ministry was for 2 and half years jewish calender and just over 2 years in our modern day calender?

Two years and two weeks (734 days); Two years and 4 days in the Gregorian calendar ≈ 2 years.
Re: Jesus' Earthly Ministry Lasted A Little More Than Two Years by Kei144(m): 3:24pm On May 24, 2015
Mt. 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

Re. 14:6 Then I saw another angel flying in mid-air, and he had the eternal gospel to proclaim to those who live on the earth—to every nation, tribe, language and people.

The end-time preaching of the the gospel of the kingdom (the eternal gospel) by the 144,000 Israelites will also last approximately two years. The sign of Re. 12:1-2 occurring on 23rd September, 2017, means that the preaching of the eternal gospel will begin two years before that; September 2015, at the last blood moon.

https://www.nairaland.com/2192023/three-day-journey-into-desert
Re: Jesus' Earthly Ministry Lasted A Little More Than Two Years by sonmvayina(m): 6:43pm On May 24, 2015
depending on the gospel you read...mathew, mark and luke recorded a one year ministry, john on the other hand recorded a three years ministry..so the next question will be did jesus do /say those things they said he did in one year or three years?...you decide
Re: Jesus' Earthly Ministry Lasted A Little More Than Two Years by Kei144(m): 7:50pm On May 24, 2015
sonmvayina:
depending on the gospel you read...mathew, mark and luke recorded a one year ministry, john on the other hand recorded a three years ministry..so the next question will be did jesus do /say those things they said he did in one year or three years?...you decide

Matthew, Mark and Luke did not include any timing information; because they did not know. John witnessed the ministry fully, and so knew when whatever happened. By the way, John's record shows that Jesus' ministry ended in the middle of the first month of the third year.

The fact that Jesus' ministry commenced at biblical New Year is very significant.
Re: Jesus' Earthly Ministry Lasted A Little More Than Two Years by sonmvayina(m): 10:41pm On May 24, 2015
Kei144:

Matthew, Mark and Luke did not include any timing information; because they did not know. John witnessed the ministry fully, and so knew when whatever happened. By the way, John's record shows that Jesus' ministry ended in the middle of the first month of the third year.

The fact that Jesus' ministry commenced at biblical New Year is very significant.

the synoptic gosoels only recorded 1 passover celebration, while john recorded three, dont delude your self thinking the gospel of john was written by an illitrate fisherman. it was not..the church or the editors added those names to distinguish them from each other. they were all written by anonymous intelligent greeks..
Re: Jesus' Earthly Ministry Lasted A Little More Than Two Years by NumberOne2(m): 1:31pm On May 25, 2015
OP, I agree with you about the Trinity part ONLY. There is no such thing as Trinity in the bible. This is why the Church has not been able to explain Melchizedek (as explained in Hebrews). Some say he is a "type of Christ or Christ". Which is WRONG. Melchizedek is God (the Priest). There are more sides to God than the 4 revealed in the bible. Some claim its just 3 in the Bible.
Re: Jesus' Earthly Ministry Lasted A Little More Than Two Years by FortresOfChrist(f): 5:38pm On May 25, 2015
NumberOne2:
OP, I agree with you about the Trinity part ONLY. There is no such thing as Trinity in the bible. This is why the Church has not been able to explain Melchizedek (as explained in Hebrews). Some say he is a "type of Christ or Christ". Which is WRONG. Melchizedek is God (the Priest). There are more sides to God than the 4 revealed in the bible. Some claim its just 3 in the Bible.

Which Melchizedek is God?
Re: Jesus' Earthly Ministry Lasted A Little More Than Two Years by NumberOne2(m): 10:34pm On May 25, 2015
FortresOfChrist:

Which Melchizedek is God?

For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; - Heb:7:1

...You can read the Whole chapter
Re: Jesus' Earthly Ministry Lasted A Little More Than Two Years by sonmvayina(m): 10:10am On May 26, 2015
NumberOne2:

For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; - Heb:7:1

christains actually think the old testament is a christain document..well, it is not. it is jewish...and only them can explain who melchezedek is..and according to them he is shem, Noah son, who is the first high priest..
Re: Jesus' Earthly Ministry Lasted A Little More Than Two Years by NumberOne2(m): 11:13am On May 26, 2015
sonmvayina:

christains actually think the old testament is a christain document..well, it is not. it is jewish...and only them can explain who melchezedek is..and according to them he is shem, Noah son, who is the first high priest..

Yeah, Shem that lived over 1,000 years right? I laugh. Paul was also a Jew (and a Christian inspired by the Holy Spirit whom the current Jews do not believe) so he also knew what he was talking about. Paul spoke of Melchizedek in the NEW Tesatament.

The Jews are still waiting for Christ, are you waiting with them?
Re: Jesus' Earthly Ministry Lasted A Little More Than Two Years by sonmvayina(m): 1:13pm On May 26, 2015
NumberOne2:

Yeah, Shem that lived over 1,000 years right? I laugh. Paul was also a Jew (and a Christian inspired by the Holy Spirit whom the current Jews do not believe) so he also knew what he was talking about. Paul spoke of Melchizedek in the NEW Tesatament.

The Jews are still waiting for Christ, are you waiting with them?

i am not waiting with them, i am not a jew..yaweh promised them a messiah that will liberate them from their enemies...that has not happened, so they are still waiting..the romans invented the story of jesus to make people behave properly as the cost of war was too much on the economy..chriatainity was created solely for one purpose, to make human governable....

the jews dont believe in jesus because there is no record of him existing in there history..

i will rather pay more attention to my village deity than a made up foreign one..
Re: Jesus' Earthly Ministry Lasted A Little More Than Two Years by NumberOne2(m): 1:42pm On May 26, 2015
sonmvayina:

i am not waiting with them, i am not a jew..yaweh promised them a messiah that will liberate them from their enemies...that has not happened, so they are still waiting..the romans invented the story of jesus to make people behave properly as the cost of war was too much on the economy..chriatainity was created solely for one purpose, to make human governable....

the jews dont believe in jesus because there is no record of him existing in there history..

i will rather pay more attention to my village deity than a made up foreign one..

There is NO record of Jesus in Jewish History? Really?
Look, if you want to put up falsefied facts, I do not converse with such. The works of Jesus are well documented. Go do your research.
The Jews acknowledge Jesus but NOT as the Son of God just as in Islam.

... but Really?
The Romans created christianity, and then KILLED (the founding fathers) early Christians and Apostles (by beheading and crucifiction) to make human's governable? I laugh.
If the above statement makes sense to you, you may as well worship a piece of carved wood (called your village deity).
Re: Jesus' Earthly Ministry Lasted A Little More Than Two Years by FortresOfChrist(f): 2:11pm On May 26, 2015
NumberOne2:

If Melchizedek is God according to you. How is the same God still priest of the most high God? God is priest of most high God? How does that sound please?
Re: Jesus' Earthly Ministry Lasted A Little More Than Two Years by NumberOne2(m): 5:05pm On May 26, 2015
FortresOfChrist:

If Melchizedek is God according to you. How is the same God still priest of the most high God? God is priest of most high God? How does that sound please?

Why is it strange to you?
Is the Holy Spirit not the Spirit of the Most High God. Why is it hard to comprehend. God offered His son Jesus for us. Who can make an offering if not a Priest? Or was there another Priest?

Disregard the false concept of Trinity. You will see it better. As long as you believe there is only God the Father, Son and Spirit, God the Priest will sound strange to you.

(1) (Reply)

Eating In The Dream... A Sin / How Christians Fool People With False Testimonies And Science Of Manipulation. / There Is No Spot In You - Joseph Prince

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.