Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,818 members, 7,810,141 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:35 PM

Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha (26969 Views)

Customs Hands Over Seized Helicopters To NAF At Lagos Airport / Solomon Arase Hands Over To Idris, New Police IG At A Colorful Event In Abuja / Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha As Speaker Of House Of Rep (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by EdCure: 5:33pm On May 26, 2015
The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr. Aminu Tambuwal, bowed out on Tuesday, handing over the leadership of the legislature to his Deputy, Mr. Emeka Ihedioha, who will round off the tenure of the House on June 5.

Tambuwal, who is the Governor-elect for Sokoto State, will be inaugurated on May 29 (Friday) as governor.

His decision to transfer power to Ihedioha ahead of May 29 was to avoid a possible constitutional crisis of taking oath of office for two separate offices.

While he will be inaugurated as governor on May 29, his current tenure as a member of the House will terminate on June 6.

Tambuwal, who spoke with journalists soon after Tuesday’s sitting of the House, disclosed that the members agreed at an executive session that Ihedioha should preside over the affairs of the House till June 6.

“My stay here in the House would have effectively come to a end on May 29 after I would have been inaugurated as governor.

“We have to avoid any possible issues on this, since the constitution is silent on what happens when a sitting speaker has to move to another office,” he added.

According to him, the 1999 Constitution does not envisage  a situation where the speaker will leave one office for another, while the oath taken for the current one is subsisting. 

However, he noted that under the Standing Orders of the House, a Speaker Pro-tempore was required to be elected by members to run the House for any period the substantive speaker  would not be available.
But he explained that the extant case was different because he would not return to the House anymore.

“At our executive session, a member came up with an ingenious way of dealing with the matter on hand, which members accepted.

“He came up with the idea that the portion of the House rules in question should be suspended to enable the deputy speaker to continue to preside over the House instead of electing a new speaker,” Tambiwal added.

Tambuwal stated that the other alternative would have been to shut down the House before June 6, but said he was not in support of such a move.

“I won’t shut down the House. The House can sit tomorrow, Thursday and possibly the other sitting days of next week,” he said.

Meanwhile, one of the contestants for the speakership of the 8th Assembly, Mr. Mohammed Monguno, on Tuesday voluntarily withdrew from the race.

Monguno, who is from Borno State, said he was stepping down to back the candidature of House Minority Leader, Mr. Femi Gbajabiamila, one of the frontline contenders.

Monguno added that he would instead join Gbajabiamila for the position of deputy speaker.

Part of a statement he issued in Abuja reads, “After broad consultations and thoughtful consideration, I have decided not to run for the office of the Speaker in the 8th Assembly.  

“Instead, I give my full endorsement to my friend and colleague, Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila, who I believe has the requisite qualification to lead the 8th Assembly in the onerous task of addressing the important and pressing needs of the citizens of this nation.  

“I will instead be running for the Deputy Speaker position on a joint ticket with Hon. Gbajabiamila.”

The PUNCH had long reported that Gbajabiamila and Monguno were working toward forming an alliance for a joint ticket.
http://www.punchng.com/news/tambuwal-bows-out-as-speaker-hands-over-to-ihedioha/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by Nobody: 5:36pm On May 26, 2015
Ok, next is the Senate ...after serving 8 years as Governor of Sokoto State, Northern Nigeria

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by doctuw(m): 5:37pm On May 26, 2015
..all hail the radical speaker. You are too much for Jonathan

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by PassingShot(m): 5:38pm On May 26, 2015
A very calculative politician who helped in dismantling PDP to bring about the needed change.

Go in peace!

43 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by EdCure: 5:39pm On May 26, 2015
Keneking:
Ok, next is the Senate ...after serving 8 years as Governor of Sokoto State, Northern Nigeria
Holding political office remains one of the most lucrative businesses in this country.

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by joystickextendr: 5:46pm On May 26, 2015
okay
Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by egift(m): 5:47pm On May 26, 2015
It was on this Forum we told PDP and their thugs to stop chasing Tambuwal. That he will not only remain a Speaker, but will upgrade to become the His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Sokoto State.

Today Tambuwal is walking very Tall, while TANiods hide their shameless faces in shame.

Nigeria will be better. We will overcome the failures of Jonathan.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by Spaxon(f): 5:48pm On May 26, 2015
bye bye sir... see u in prison cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by akins56(m): 5:49pm On May 26, 2015
He's a great guy, am sure gbaja 'll take over after the inauguration of the new house.
Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by freedom96: 5:49pm On May 26, 2015
I pray he performs
Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by prelinctus: 5:50pm On May 26, 2015
What's the point when Ihedioha has only few weeks left to stay? I know that Ihedioha will be deeply regretting contesting for Imo governorship position. A bird at hand, they say, is worth two in the bush. Very soon he'll go back to irrelevance.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by prelinctus: 5:51pm On May 26, 2015
Spaxon:
Which prison? Someone that is going to become a governor. Just admit that you wanted to book space. Lol

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by san316(m): 5:52pm On May 26, 2015
Normal thing... Next!!!
Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by Youngzedd(m): 5:52pm On May 26, 2015
Nice move.

Change is here to stay.
Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by Nobody: 5:52pm On May 26, 2015
Answer this question:

What if Ihedioha had won as Imo governor? Who would Tambuwal have handed over to?

10 marks

8 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by dondazie(m): 5:52pm On May 26, 2015
Thanks for d job well done
Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by Sweetguy25: 5:53pm On May 26, 2015
Ihedioha = A big Disappointment

2 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by jejemanito: 5:53pm On May 26, 2015
Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by Nobody: 5:53pm On May 26, 2015
What?
Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by egift(m): 5:53pm On May 26, 2015
Spaxon:

Shut up. Jonathan will spend a lifetime in jail before it gets to Tambuwal's turn. Whenever you meet him, address him as "Your Excellency, the Executive Governor of Sokoto State". grin grin grin grin

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by appini: 5:53pm On May 26, 2015
Heaven will not fall.
Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by Billygee2u: 5:54pm On May 26, 2015
smiley
Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by emiye(m): 5:54pm On May 26, 2015
Monguno, who is from Borno State, said he was stepping down to back the candidature of House Minority Leader, Mr. Femi Gbajabiamila, one of the frontline contenders.

Monguno added that he would instead join Gbajabiamila for the position of deputy speaker.

Part of a statement he issued in Abuja reads, “After broad consultations and thoughtful consideration, I have decided not to run for the office of the Speaker in the 8th Assembly.

Maybe Saraki and Gbajabiamila might end up as Senate president and speaker respectively.
Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by canalily(m): 5:54pm On May 26, 2015
...and Amadioha collectedundecided

1 Like

Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by asiwajumi(m): 5:55pm On May 26, 2015
I support the man from OYO for speaker of the 8th house of rep
Re: Tambuwal Hands Over To Ihedioha by asiwajumi(m): 5:55pm On May 26, 2015
I support the man from OYO for speaker of the 8th house of rep

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Military Bombards Militant Camp In Delta, Many Feared Dead / Mujahid Ibn: Asari Dokubo Celebrates 9th Birthday Of His Son (photos) / NANS Shuts MTN Kaduna, Benue Offices Over Xenophobia Attack In South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.