Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,329 members, 7,826,304 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? (16661 Views)

Photo Of Eunice Elisha Olawale Preaching / Olawale Elisha: "Eunice Breasts & Head Were Removed According To Crowd" / Eunice Elisha Olawale Killed In Kubwa, Abuja, During Early Morning Preaching (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:30pm On Jun 18, 2015
Atheism   

An atheist was spending a quiet day fishing when suddenly his boat was attacked by the Loch Ness monster.  In one easy flip, the beast tossed him and his boat high into the air.  Then it opened its mouth to swallow both.

As the man sailed head over heels, he cried out,

"Oh, my God!  Help me!"

At once, the ferocious attack scene froze in place, and as the atheist hung in the mid air, a booming voice came down from the clouds,

"I thought you didn't believe in me!"

"Come on God, give me a break!"

the atheist pleaded.

"Two minutes ago I didn't believe in the Loch Ness monster either!"
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jun 18, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

God does not murder. Murder is the unlawful taking of life. God kills just as He has given the authority to human governments to exact capital punishments. Those who perished in Noah's Flood and Sodom and Gomorrah are examples where executed people according to His Law.
The text did not say God killed in the first place and it is your duty to find out the facts. wink
"It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter" (Proverbs 25:2).

But, he authorises the murder of "his son". Remind me of the law term that is used for people like him? I think, accessory!

OLAADEGBU:

Newsflash! The biblical text did not say that the thugs were killed so there's no need barking up the wrong tree. tongue

Prove it!

1 Like

Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by MuttleyLaff: 8:15pm On Jun 18, 2015
OLAADEGBU:
God does not murder. Murder is the unlawful taking of life. God kills just as He has given the authority to human governments to exact capital punishments. Those who perished in Noah's Flood and Sodom and Gomorrah are examples where executed people according to His Law.
Glad to read you know or acknowledge that God doesnt murder

OLAADEGBU:
The text did not say God killed in the first place and it is your duty to find out the facts. wink

"It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter" (Proverbs 25:2).

So why did you post "Why did God KILL 42 lads merely for saying Elisha was bald?"
You're even using one of my favourite verse (i.e. Proverbs 25:2)

Thank you for admiting "kill" is not found in 2 Kings 2:23-24
Thank you for being man enough to admit you inserted "kill" yourself into 2 Kings 2:23-24
So it's true you used a little poetic licence to embellish a good tale by adding the "kill" extra detail
Baba ooo!
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:05am On Jun 19, 2015
theAtheist101:

But, he authorises the murder of "his son". Remind me of the law term that is used for people like him? I think, accessory!

Are you now accusing the God that you don't believe exists? undecided

theAtheist101:

Prove it!

Read the text. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. wink
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:11am On Jun 19, 2015
MuttleyLaff:

Glad to read you know or acknowledge that God doesnt murder

[img] http://i57.tinypic.com/34sp9j4.gif[/img]

As if you know the difference between killing and murdering. undecided

MuttleyLaff:

So why did you post "Why did God KILL 42 lads merely for saying Elisha was bald?"
You're even using one of my favourite verse (i.e. Proverbs 25:2)

Thank you for admiting "kill" is not found in 2 Kings 2:23-24
Thank you for being man enough to admit you inserted "kill" yourself into 2 Kings 2:23-24
So it's true you used a little poetic licence to embellish a good tale by adding the "kill" extra detail
Baba ooo!

And you did not notice this before you jumped to conclusion which is the only exercise some folks get to do nowadays. undecided
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jun 19, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Who is your god if not the Bible or Christian God?
What an arrogant, ignorant and stup.id question. Are you unaware that monotheism predates christianity by a minimum of 50,000 years? Your very own ancestors, did they not believe in a Supreme Being? Do you know their belief predates your imported religion by several thousand years? Your ignorance stinks to high heavens.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jun 19, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Are you now accusing the God that you don't believe exists? undecided

Read the text. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. wink

But, you do? Am only applying reverse psychology!

"Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, "Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!" When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number" (2 Kings 2:23-24)

At bolded: maybe, you're right. The boys might have been clothes that could have been easily stitched together. You're a genius, man! Keep it up. Am expecting to clap for you when you collect your Nobel price of "shit".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by MuttleyLaff: 11:11pm On Jun 19, 2015
OLAADEGBU:
As if you know the difference between killing and murdering. undecided
Let that rest. You cant teach granma how to suck eggs

OLAADEGBU:
And you did not notice this before you jumped to conclusion which is the only exercise some folks get to do nowadays. undecided
At the expense of accuracy, it is an irresponsible and incorrigible behavior to insert texts or words (e.g. KILL) not found in 2 Kings 2:23-24 for sensationalism sake.

Why did God kill 42 lads merely for saying Elisha was bald?

"Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, "Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!" When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number" (2 Kings 2:23-24)

Why would God allow two bears to kill 42 young lads simply for saying Elisha was bald?
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by delishpot: 6:42am On Jun 20, 2015
Pr0ton:

This is why your answer doesn't work:

Punishment for violating the law in the OT was by stoning to death. Here is an example of a rude wayward child.

Deut 21

18 If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him,19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town.20 They shall say to the elders, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.”21 Then all the men of his town are to stone him to death.You must purge the evilfrom among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.

Assumimg these boys violated the law, then they should have died by stoning. But this wasn't anything in connection to the law. Elisha with the support and assistance from God ordered bears to tear those lads because they (Elisha and God) chose to.

Second reason is because the lads weren't Jews, and the law could not have had effect on them. Rom 3:19 says the Law speaks to those under it. And Rom 4:16 says where there's no law, there is no sin. Hence, the lads were innocent in that aspect as they were not under the Jewish law. If we are to base on what the law says, then God and Elisha killed innocent kids.

Rude lads that is what happens to lads who are rude.
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:09pm On Jun 20, 2015
ROSSIKE:

What an arrogant, ignorant and stup.id question. Are you unaware that monotheism predates christianity by a minimum of 50,000 years? Your very own ancestors, did they not believe in a Supreme Being? Do you know their belief predates your imported religion by several thousand years? Your ignorance stinks to high heavens.

Answer the question and stop prevaricating. I am not assuming we are serving the same God. I serve the Eternal God, Uncreated, infinite God, the God of Abraham, of Isaac and of Jacob. Who do you serve?
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:27pm On Jun 20, 2015
theAtheist101:

But, you do? Am only applying reverse psychology!

And you did not realise that I was begging the question? undecided

theAtheist101:

At bolded: maybe, you're right. The boys might have been clothes that could have been easily stitched together. You're a genius, man! Keep it up. Am expecting to clap for you when you collect your Nobel price of "shit".

That's what you get when you keep poking your nose into matters that doesn't concern you. tongue

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jun 20, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

And you did not realise that I was begging the question? undecided

That's what you get when you keep poking your nose into matters that doesn't concern you. tongue

A good way to show ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:45pm On Jun 20, 2015
MuttleyLaff:

Let that rest. You cant teach granma how to suck eggs

As long as you are not licking lager. grin

MuttleyLaff:

At the expense of accuracy, it is an irresponsible and incorrigible behavior to insert texts or words (e.g. KILL) not found in 2 Kings 2:23-24 for sensationalism sake.

Quit the potation. Where did I insert words into the text?

MuttleyLaff:

Why would God allow two bears to kill 42 young lads simply for saying Elisha was bald?

Don't tell me you're temulent. How was the loaded question inserted into the text you quoted here?
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:53pm On Jun 20, 2015
delishpot:

Rude lads that is what happens to lads who are rude.

Only if they had taken heed to God's earlier warning they would have saved themselves of some pain. undecided

"And if ye walk contrary unto me. . . . I will also send wild beasts among you, which shall rob you of your children" (Leviticus 26:21,22).
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:09pm On Jun 20, 2015
theAtheist101:

A good way to show ignorance.

Could there be a better way to show nescience other than the depiction below? undecided

Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by MuttleyLaff: 1:23pm On Jun 20, 2015
OLAADEGBU:
As long as you are not licking lager. grin
I do take the occasional pint or two now and then

OLAADEGBU:
Quit the potation. Where did I insert words into the text?
In your original post
KILL in your original post is nowhere found in 2 Kings 2:23-24

OLAADEGBU:
Don't tell me you're temulent.
I am only but only the Ephesians 5:18 type

OLAADEGBU:
How was the loaded question inserted into the text you quoted here?
I think I am beginning to understand how or why you open up threads
Maybe if you had done your KILL like this "kill", others will know what you are on to
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:05pm On Jun 20, 2015
MuttleyLaff:

I do take the occasional pint or two now and then

or 3 or 4 just make sure you don't drink and drive. grin

MuttleyLaff:

In your original post
KILL in your original post is nowhere found in 2 Kings 2:23-24

That is noted. cool

MuttleyLaff:

I am only but only the Ephesians 5:18 type

You can't be temulant if you don't do potation. cool

MuttleyLaff:

I think I am beginning to understand how or why you open up threads
Maybe if you had done your KILL like this "kill", others will know what you are on to

I get your drift and will make the necessary adjustments. wink
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jun 20, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Could their be a better way to show nescience other than the depiction below? undecided

Cool.

Look below, that is me querying you.

.... And a follow-up image.

Keep calm -- I understand your frustration in explaining a lie.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by menesheh(m): 9:55pm On Jun 20, 2015
theAtheist101:

Cool.

Amazing illustrative symbols

1 Like

Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by menesheh(m): 10:10pm On Jun 20, 2015
theAtheist101:

Cool.

My religion can not be explained via physical evidence, logic and prove. lipsrsealed
Holy Crap!

Second symbol is very hard to come by but god is the easiest way to explain the mysteries of things.
How did the mysteries of the universe, in god's mystery of his mysterious way as he created mysterious mysteries for us to unfold the mystery of his mysterious mysteriousness. cheesy

But we ain't going to take the easy model while we have better and more complex models to work on which is more plausible than religious fantasies.

Never be certisfy with a simple explanation if the complex one is available.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by Image123(m): 7:23pm On Jun 26, 2015
So, why were they killed? The unbelievers just continued with their frustration. i can't tell what's pissing them more, that the boys were killed or that only two bears came.
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:01pm On Jul 06, 2015
Image123:

So, why were they killed? The unbelievers just continued with their frustration. i can't tell what's pissing them more, that the boys were killed or that only two bears came.

Hi image123, do you believe those thugs were killed?
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by CHARLOE(m): 9:18pm On Jul 06, 2015
@ OP, Can't u see, it never happened! will 42 kids be standing by while 2 bears tear them apart? won't they run? @ most, d bears will kill 4-7 and injure less dan 10, but 42, haba! It's a tale, it never happened. Am a xtian, never belived d bible was tampered with, but now i know better. was blind, but now i see, was asleep but now awake!
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by Image123(m): 12:25am On Jul 07, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Hi image123, do you believe those thugs were killed?

Lol, i was simply amused at the behaviour of the unbelievers. They seemed quite confused and annoyed about everything from the number of bears, to who the bears killed.

2Ki 2:24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tore forty and two children of them.

Surely, 42 of the thugs got torn. i believe they were killed. Maybe others were injured only, but these 42 were not that spared. They were cursed. Cars for instance and heavy vehicles run into people accidentally and kill many. i wonder why people do not ask silly questions like can't they run away. Apart from curse which itself pits one at a huge disadvantage and abnormality, sudden pandemonium and appearance of two ferocious bears can freeze hearts, make people stumble on one another etc. The bears simply need to trample on and disturb their flight, then come back to tear the wounded. It's good we don't walk in the midst of thugs so that we don't get unfortunate like these ones did.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by johnw74: 2:30am On Jul 07, 2015
Mat 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Little ones here is child like believers

Mat 18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

If you offend one of God's little ones, and God's Angels see the hurt on God's face >>>

then look out!
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by tijusegele(m): 3:01pm On Jul 07, 2015
Is 4 d glory of God 2 be known 2 d whole.
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:02pm On Jul 21, 2015
CHARLOE:

@ OP, Can't u see, it never happened! will 42 kids be standing by while 2 bears tear them apart? won't they run? @ most, d bears will kill 4-7 and injure less dan 10, but 42, haba! It's a tale, it never happened. Am a xtian, never belived d bible was tampered with, but now i know better. was blind, but now i see, was asleep but now awake!

What's wrong with 2 bears killing 42 thugs? Didn't a single angel kill about 85,000 soldiers in one night?
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:05pm On Jul 21, 2015
Image123:

Lol, i was simply amused at the behaviour of the unbelievers. They seemed quite confused and annoyed about everything from the number of bears, to who the bears killed.

2Ki 2:24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tore forty and two children of them.

Surely, 42 of the thugs got torn. i believe they were killed. Maybe others were injured only, but these 42 were not that spared. They were cursed. Cars for instance and heavy vehicles run into people accidentally and kill many. i wonder why people do not ask silly questions like can't they run away. Apart from curse which itself pits one at a huge disadvantage and abnormality, sudden pandemonium and appearance of two ferocious bears can freeze hearts, make people stumble on one another etc. The bears simply need to trample on and disturb their flight, then come back to tear the wounded. It's good we don't walk in the midst of thugs so that we don't get unfortunate like these ones did.

This reminds me of the phrase: "fight, flight, freeze, or fawn response". grin Those who could not flee, fight or fawn certainly froze. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:33pm On Oct 28, 2015
johnw74:

Mat 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Little ones here is child like believers

Mat 18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

If you offend one of God's little ones, and God's Angels see the hurt on God's face >>>

then look out!

True talk. smiley
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:20pm On May 03, 2016
OLAADEGBU:
Why did God "kill" 42 lads merely for saying Elisha was bald?

Why would God allow two bears to "kill" 42 young lads simply for saying Elisha was bald?

Suggested answer.

https://carm.org/why-did-god-kill-42-lads-merely-saying-elisha-was-bald?platform=hootsuite
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by urahara(m): 12:59am On May 04, 2016
Re: Why Did God "Kill" 42 Lads Merely For Saying Elisha Was Bald? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:19pm On May 04, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer.

https://carm.org/why-did-god-kill-42-lads-merely-saying-elisha-was-bald?platform=hootsuite

by Matt Slick

2 Kings 2:23-24, "Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, "Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!" 24 When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number."

Why would God allow two bears to kill 42 young lads simply for saying Elisha was bald? Let's take a look. Elisha was travelling from Jericho to Bethel when a group of young men verbally accosted him. Forty-two (42) is a large number of people, and they were probably an organized group who had gone out to challenge Elisha. Their mockery implied a malicious intent, especially when the culture of the time insisted on showing respect to their elders. Furthermore, the statement--"go up you baldhead!"--has cultural significance. First of all, "go up" is probably a reference to Elisha;s predecessor, Elijah, ascending to Heaven (2 Kings 2:11). In other words, they are stating they want Elisha gone, and since Elijah had gone on to the "next world," the implication is they wanted Elisha dead. Also, the epithet 'baldhead' was one of "contempt in the East, applied to a person even with a bushy head of hair." 1 Lepers had to shave their heads, so such a statement could easily have been a deliberate and malicious insult--something dangerous in a mob that can quickly get out of hand.

Given the challenge of the youths, their intimidating number which could constitute a mob, their veiled threat, the contemptuous attitude, and the fact that Elisha was the prophet of God, the Lord allowed the youths to be destroyed.

But, God did not break his own moral law. The Bible says do not murder. Murder is the unlawful taking of life. But, all people have sinned against God and are worthy of death (Rom. 3:23, 6:23). So, God had them killed according to the Law.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Scriptures Say Eat Your Tithe - Daddy Freeze / Akinwunmi Ambode / Christian Or Muslim ? / Anja Ringgren Lovén Rescues 3 Children Accused Of Witchcraft In Akwa Ibom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.