Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,609 members, 7,827,297 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU (35439 Views)

24 Sins Committed By Jonathan, Wike And PDP - APC / 8 New Ministers Appointed By Jonathan Get Portfolios / Olorunsogo Power Plant Commisioned By Jonathan Is Not Working - Bukola Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by Nobody: 9:40am On May 29, 2015
scachy:

500mn was given as kickoff fund, there're other mean d school can generate funds internally to Augument wat fed.Govt.gave. D problem is that every sectors in Nigeria wants to be well taking care of at d same time without consideration that there are other sectors that needs to been taking care of as well. If ASUU leaders r using the funds provided by Govt judiciously it ll go a library way in terms of facilities. but wat we see in our public sector is pathetic, d leaders ll take care of their pockets first before d institutions at d end, de ll start making noise of being underfunded. Am not saying that d federal government has funded them adequately, but d question is, d money ASUU received from various Govts, how well did they utilize it?

Well....first off, how much do you think a university needs as take off funds, and then as yearly annual budget.?

Afe Babalola who owns a private university, reckons universities need N250000 per student enrolled to graduate said student. The ASUU-FG agreement of 2009 put it at N150000.

And that assumes that we have the facilites and everything on ground in the first place.

The trouble is....you need kudi for facilities....Lots of kudi. And right now...N500million may put up a few structures....and that's it. It is what happens next that bothers me.The annual budget.

My Alma mater was established in the 1960's....and construction work continued on most of the facilities till the mid 1980's.

And right now we do not have the money because ''oil prices have fallen''....which leads us to the increased fees scenario....or the scenario where we produce graduates who cannot compete with foreign degree holders because ....of zero facilities, and zero lecturers. (Did i tell you that we do not have ENOUGH lecturers...especially PhD holders?)
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by Nobody: 9:43am On May 29, 2015
pawesome:
dis kind its been long de hv heard f dem...nw de re tryn to create sumtin out f ntin...sets of B I T C H E S.....de should go look fr a sit n stay put till baba stats showing dem wt he is made up of...edjots

That's all right...let ASUU keep quiet...and the universities end up having to increase fees because the money from government is not enough...since the govt is funding too many universities on a lean education budget...or the facilities remain poor....and the graduates produced from our universities cannot compete with foreign based grads.

Then you will be full of regrets.
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by scachy(m): 9:51am On May 29, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Well....first off, how much do you think a university needs as take off funds, and then as yearly annual budget.?

Afe Babalola who owns a private university, reckons universities need N250000 per student enrolled to graduate said student. The ASUU-FG agreement of 2009 put it at N150000.

And that assumes that we have the facilites and everything on ground in the first place.

The trouble is....you need kudi for facilities....Lots of kudi. And right now...N500million may put up a few structures....and that's it. It is what happens next that bothers me.The annual budget.

My Alma mater was established in the 1960's....and construction work continued on most of the facilities till the mid 1980's.

And right now we do not have the money because ''oil prices have fallen''....which leads us to the increased fees scenario....or the scenario where we produce graduates who cannot compete with foreign degree holders because ....of zero facilities, and zero lecturers. (Did i tell you that we do not have ENOUGH lecturers...especially PhD holders?)

We r on d same page but one thing I want to clear is that higher institutions needs upgrade from time to time even if it's well funded n equipped at inception, but it's not what we must do at once, (at least not at this present economic crisis) secondly, it depends on d courses the 4 new institutions offers, cos d only courses that needs adequate n sophisticated facilities are science n engineering courses. And besides, these institutions not offering free education, de can still raise huge sums from students tuition n other levies.another thing is, y didn't ASUU president say this all along, it's now that we about to inaugurate new administration that he has started talking trash about legality n funding of the new institutions.
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by pawesome(m): 9:52am On May 29, 2015
bushdoc9919:

That's all right...let ASUU keep quiet...and the universities end up having to increase fees because the money from government is not enough...since the govt is funding too many universities on a lean education budget...or the facilities remain poor....and the graduates produced from our universities cannot compete with foreign based grads.

Then you will be full of regrets.
Since d last strike dt ASUU,wt diffrnce cn we boast f in d university environment?.... is dsame old tin..go to lectures..lecturer reads frm dsame book dt he hs been using since wen...still crowded classes....lack of infrastructure....so wt re we talkin of hia?...d new university re beta cz d learning environment is new n hence evrytin...i hv seen d federal university in lafia n i knw wt it means to build a new university....
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by obanuar: 9:55am On May 29, 2015
Very useless attitude you know all these things and didn't say it since..its not the fault of the out going president but you cos you are incapable of the position...
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by Nobody: 9:56am On May 29, 2015
scachy:

We r on d same page but one thing I want to clear is that higher institutions needs upgrade from time to time even if it's well funded n equipped at inception, but it's not what we must do at once, (at least not at this present economic crisis) secondly, it depends on d courses the 4 new institutions offers, cos d only courses that needs adequate n sophisticated facilities are science n engineering courses. And besides, these institutions not offering free education, de can still raise huge sums from students tuition n other levies.another thing is,y didn't ASUU president say this all along, it's now that we about to inaugurate new administration that he has started talking trash about legality n funding of the new institutions

They have been talking about funding...which was the WHOLE purpose of the 2013 strike...

See this thread...https://www.nairaland.com/1471435/ASUU-strike-lecturer-speaks
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by Nobody: 9:58am On May 29, 2015
pawesome:

Since d last strike dt ASUU,wt diffrnce cn we boast f in d university environment?.... is dsame old tin..go to lectures..lecturer reads frm dsame book dt he hs been using since wen...still crowded classes....lack of infrastructure....so wt re we talkin of hia?...d new university re beta cz d learning environment is new n hence evrytin...i hv seen d federal university in lafia n i knw wt it means to build a new university....

No difference has been made....because Govt has released just one fifth of the funds promised....and thanks to the oil price drop....none of the funds are coming in.

Meanwhile....everyone is scared to raise fees.

You see the problem?
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by Nobody: 10:00am On May 29, 2015
obanuar:
Very useless attitude you know all these things and didn't say it since..its not the fault of the out going president but you cos you are incapable of the position...

ASUU has been talking about funding and all these things since time immemorial....plus the universities they are talking about were JUST established in the last few weeks.....(The Universities are not the ten established a few years ago).

So your comment is inaccurate to say the least.
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by bamiwuye: 10:15am On May 29, 2015
Y are u people talking talking now when the administration is winding up. U people should have comment before now. This is just eye service for new administration to pay attention to you. You are part of spoiler of this country.
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by scachy(m): 10:23am On May 29, 2015
bushdoc9919:

They have been talking about funding...which was the WHOLE purpose of the 2013 strike...

See this thread...https://www.nairaland.com/1471435/ASUU-strike-lecturer-speaks
Ya I know, but am making reference to his recent statement on d newly established universities, (500mn kickoff fund and legality of the new institutions)
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by Daykoozy(m): 10:32am On May 29, 2015
oduastates:

Mr it is that "me me me" attitude that is killing Nigeria and ASUU should know better. In a country where tribal and religious affiliation are pronounced, the academia is where you expect to get the uniformity, consensus, unity and the affirmation of ideas, ideology and direction.
ASUU I repeat,is a useless organisation. Apart from a few professors (Akin Oyebode, David west,Itse sagay,Pat utomi ) who put in an effort to shape the direction of the country, they are barely better than the road transport union.
One of them in ekiti( a professor in sociology wrote one useless article to spite fayemi.
An end to spreadsheet government.
I am like, "what they hell"?
I regard ASUU as no different from the road transport union.
Your gripe is misplaced. This clown- president was creating universities as tho he were creating a market. The creation of this institutions was political. These institutions ought be be scrapped as they offer no value to the already under-served, under-educated Nigerian youths. Gej's own academic exercise is an example of bad education; we don't want more of it.

1 Like

Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by geeluck1(m): 10:46am On May 29, 2015
[b][/b]We are saying de ones we have are not enough and u're here talking jargon just to be popular or for whatever selfish reason...
When has 'non become better than half bread'
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by Nobody: 11:04am On May 29, 2015
bamiwuye:
Y are u people talking talking now when the administration is winding up. U people should have comment before now. This is just eye service for new administration to pay attention to you. You are part of spoiler of this country.

The comments ASUU was making were about the new universities established in the last two weeks.....better reread the article.
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by daresimon(m): 11:10am On May 29, 2015
What ASUU said is true though,
The problem there is the time, they should have said when the thing was done
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by atlwireles: 11:20am On May 29, 2015
ASUU can go on strike requesting government close the new Universities. angry Unless roaches.

1 Like

Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by mikolo80: 11:22am On May 29, 2015
jmoore:
Eye service? You no talk am since, why?

I like to hear from NUC soon on this matter.
if na you and your 99mumu likers you go fit.abi na you go pay him bills after them don sack am
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by Nobody: 11:26am On May 29, 2015
atlwireles:
ASUU can go on strike requesting government close the new Universities. angry Unless roaches.

Welll...every University has an enabling law....which among other things gives legal backing to everything the university does...including award of degrees.

You see the problem?

Plus.....where are we going to find funds for all the extra universities? How about lecturers?

GEJ really left burdens for the universities.
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by atlwireles: 11:30am On May 29, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Welll...every University has an enabling law....which among other things gives legal backing to everything the university does...including award of degrees.

You see the problem?

Plus.....where are we going to find funds for all the extra universities? How about lecturers?

GEJ really left burdens for the universities.

Tell your friends in ASUU to strike and spare me you and their crap. Close the places down or shut up.
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by Nobody: 11:41am On May 29, 2015
atlwireles:

Tell your friends in ASUU to strike and spare me you and their crap. Close the places down or shut up.

All right....just don't complain when things go wrong.

The fact remains....every university in Nigeria needs an enabling law. This I guess is something Buhari and the new NA could look into next month...urgently.

Also...our universities do have a funding problem. Hence my comments about funds. We already have difficulty funding our existing universities and polys....which is why establishing new ones is rather problematic. Then there is the problem of finding new lecturers.(That is one of the issues I have with OBJ's new private universites).

You see....it is not that establishing universities is wrong....frankly we do need more of them. But if they do not have the enabling laws, SUPPORT and environment....especially as regards funding.(and yes....OUR unis do need funds..that was the point of the 2009 and 2013 ASUU strike...it was not about salaries...or there would have been no strike in 2013..)...we would be in deep and serious trouble. Poor Nigerian graduates from Govt unis in Nigeria will lose out to better trained Nigerians with foreign degrees....and eventually to the private universities(the better ones).

Have a good day,sir.
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by atlwireles: 11:44am On May 29, 2015
[s]
bushdoc9919:

All right....just don't complain when things go wrong.

The fact remains....every university in Nigeria needs an enabling law. This I guess is something Buhari and the new NA could look into next month...urgently.

Also...our universities do have a funding problem. Hence my comments about funds. We already have difficulty funding our existing universities and polys....which is why establishing new ones is rather problematic. Then there is the problem of finding new lecturers.(That is one of the issues I have with OBJ's new private universites).

You see....it is not that establishing universities is wrong....frankly we do need more of them. But if they do not have the enabling laws, SUPPORT and environment....especially as regards funding.(and yes....OUR unis do need funds..that was the point of the 2009 and 2013 ASUU strike...it was not about salaries...or there would have been no strike in 2013..)...we would be in deep and serious trouble. Poor Nigerian graduates from Govt unis in Nigeria will lose out to better trained Nigerians with foreign degrees....and eventually to the private universities(the better ones).

Have a good day,sir.
[/s]
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by Nobody: 11:49am On May 29, 2015
atlwireles:
[s][/s]

Since you won't be convinced....I leave you with the article(written by a Mr Amaza) that forms the genesis of most of my ideas.

http://omojuwa.com/2012/12/proposal-for-tertiary-education-in-nigeria-by-amasonic-opesays/

By the way....I enjoy reading your previous posts, even though we do not agree. You usually write factually and precisely. This your recent posts is rather unlike you.

And this isn't about GEJ vs Buhari...it is far more than that.

Good morning. God bless you.
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by atlwireles: 11:51am On May 29, 2015
[s]
bushdoc9919:

Since you won't be convinced....I leave you with the article(written by a Mr Amaza) that forms the genesis of most of my ideas.

http://omojuwa.com/2012/12/proposal-for-tertiary-education-in-nigeria-by-amasonic-opesays/

By the way....I enjoy reading your previous posts, even though we do not agree. You usually write factually and precisely. This your recent posts is rather unlike you.

And this isn't about GEJ vs Buhari...it is far more than that.

Good morning. God bless you.
[/s]
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by Nobody: 11:54am On May 29, 2015
wtfCode:

i swear nigeria will be the best country.
Trussme.
thats wat they all say:"i will be the best this country ever had"....na ur type day use 50 million for a meal.
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by Nobody: 12:08pm On May 29, 2015
[b][/b]i don't think funding the newly established universities is really a problem....how much do senators and members of house of rep. earn each month?
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by Nobody: 12:11pm On May 29, 2015
Souljeezy:
[b][/b]i don't think funding the newly established universities is really a problem....how much do senators and members of house of rep. earn each month?

They earn a lot of kudi....but even if we cut their salaries....it still won't be enough.

As an example...LASU gets N6bn in funding annually....most of which is gone when salaries of academic and non-academic staff are paid.

Funding Nigerian universities is a tough issue. We may eventually have to either raise fees...or take away the subsidy from fuel...and use the savings to fund university education.
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by uhuxy(m): 12:12pm On May 29, 2015
Good idea
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by cooljude(m): 1:08pm On May 29, 2015
ray48:
GEJ has no business establishing those universities at the twilight of his administration. Buhari will definitely review all these to ascertain the ones that have merits.
Bros no vex o but i wan ask whether u go skul at all. My junior brother is in his 2nd year with people in their 3rd year and you want to tell me that Jonathan just establish those school. With what i saw those schools are very ok even compared to some old schools. The question of sub-standard education is a general problem starting from funding and even the zeal for research from our so called professors who i prefer calling politicians. To me, i commend this administeration for building more universities and the funny thing there is that none of those school belong to him compared to OBJ and ATIKU. So it is time to see cause i know you've been blind due to hatred for Jona.
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by Excellentmind: 2:32pm On May 29, 2015
The fraudulent association called 'ASUU' can go on and on vituperating because GEJ treated them with courtesy. What did OBJ do when they went on strike?

Today, education is the sit of corruption and no amount of solidarity will sway investigation and sanctioning by this administration.
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by wtfCode: 2:42pm On May 29, 2015
Souljeezy:
thats wat they all say:"i will be the best this country ever had"....na ur type day use 50 million for a meal.
what do u expect me to say?
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by badesco(m): 3:08pm On May 29, 2015
Where is union’s National President, Dr. Issa Fagge Nasir before now? He is talking rubish, may he is sleep walking or so. why now?
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by Transgression(m): 4:11pm On May 29, 2015
Rubbish.. ASUU always fighting for themselves... NUC should be the one deciding if the schools established are legal or illegal not ASUU.. Talking gibberish
Re: All Universities Established By Jonathan Are Illegal-ASUU by Femistico(m): 4:38pm On May 29, 2015
They've started again oo...no giv dis baba problem oo it's too early for dis..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photo Of Layal Tinubu's Mother / Atiku Vs Buhari: Agbakoba Reveals Who Should Win Election, Gives Reasons / Shettima Reacts As Supporters Die In Auto Crash After Paying Him Congrats Visit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.