Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan (1316 Views)

"Evidence Emerges Of Mass Burials After Arbaeen Massacre Of Shia In Kano"- IHRC / There’s Hunger, Starvation In The Land, Northern Leaders Tell Buhari / Expect Serious Famine In Nigeria, UN Warns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan by mustydeen(m): 5:28am On May 31, 2015
UN officials warn that 4.6 million people in South Sudan could face starvation over the next 3 months.

The country became independent from Sudan in 2011 after more than 2 decades of civil war. But fierce fighting between government troops and rebel forces has continued since 2013.

Many people fled their homes, leaving behind farmland, livestock, and food supplies. The deteriorating security situation has also forced aid groups to suspend their activities.

The UN World Food Program is warning that about 4.6 million people, or roughly 40 percent of the country’s population, will face a severe food shortage if the situation does not improve.

UNICEF says the lives of nearly a quarter of a million children in South Sudan are at risk.

Officials say increased funding is required to provide emergency food aid. They are appealing for international support.

source: http://africanwatch.net/un-warns-of-mass-starvation-in-south-sudan/

Re: Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan by mandhi(m): 6:36am On May 31, 2015
Much as I understand their grievances with the northern Sudan over wealth sharing. They were not ready for self governance and shld not have had the referendum in the first place. Their so called elders had the selfish interest of laying hands on the wealth for their enrichment at the detriment of their people. They should have solved or find a way to get more on wealth sharing in terms of allocation,development and education of citizenry by the Central gov't. A food for thought to my southern brothers. We may be facing challenges now, but our founding father were right about Nigeria and if they had any doubt about the country during colonial rule. Am sure they would not have sign to independent Nigeria. Let's all drop our personal grieves and let's sacrifice to make Nigeria work. We have a leader in who the mojarity masses entrust mantle of leadership, let's pray for them move on and become that great nation Nigeria was destined to be.
GOD Bless Nigeria and every place else.

7 Likes

Re: Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan by YoruBanger: 6:43am On May 31, 2015
So sad. Upon all their Oyel, South Sudan has not known peace since it gained independence. The country has since been plagued by inter-tribal/civil warfare. What a tragedy.

4 Likes

Re: Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan by overhypedsteve(m): 6:47am On May 31, 2015
Nigeria needs to act fast. The giant of africa need to pick up her leadership mantle and feed sudan

1 Like

Re: Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan by sademola: 7:09am On May 31, 2015
I hope MASSOB and other elements beating drum of cessation are watching.

7 Likes

Re: Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan by CSTR2: 7:31am On May 31, 2015
mandhi:
Much as I understand their grievances with the northern Sudan over wealth sharing. They were not ready for self governance and shld not have had the referendum in the first place. Their so called elders had the selfish interest of laying hands on the wealth for their enrichment at the detriment of their people. They should have solved or find a way to get more on wealth sharing in terms of allocation,development and education of citizenry by the Central gov't. A food for thought to my southern brothers. We may be facing challenges now, but our founding father were right about Nigeria and if they had any doubt about the country during colonial rule. Am sure they would not have sign to independent Nigeria. Let's all drop our personal grieves and let's sacrifice to make Nigeria work. We have a leader in who the mojarity masses entrust mantle of leadership, let's pray for them move on and become that great nation Nigeria was destined to be.
GOD Bless Nigeria and every place else.
Your so-called founding fathers like awolowo and saudana were tribalists.
The only true founding father you have is azikiwe and i don't think he would believe in this country if he was still alive.
Re: Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan by CSTR2: 7:32am On May 31, 2015
sademola:
I hope MASSOB and other elements beating drum of cessation are watching.
Apples and oranges.

2 Likes

Re: Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan by Alphaoscar: 7:48am On May 31, 2015
This should serve as a lesson to our local chest beaters fanning the ember of war over irrelevant stuffs.

5 Likes

Re: Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan by YoruBanger: 7:51am On May 31, 2015
CSTR2:
The only true founding father you have is azikiwe and i don't think he would believe in this country if he was still alive.

Bro, oh please don't rewrite history. Azikwe was at best an unstable Nationalist. He's on record to have supported Biafra (a Nationalist supporting secession?) only to later abandon Biafra and denounced Ojukwu under the protection of the British government, and refusing to return to the East till the end of the war. You can't fool all of us, maybe your fans but certainly not me.

3 Likes

Re: Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan by 500GP: 8:10am On May 31, 2015
THIS IS A LESSON FOR THE IBO..
I CAN'T WAIT FOR THEM TO SECEDE, OVER 3MILLION IBO WILL DIE AGAIN....

3 Likes

Re: Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan by saintfizzo(m): 8:45am On May 31, 2015
IGBOS!!!!!!!!! Look b4 U leap.... a word is enough for the wise

6 Likes

Re: Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan by mandhi(m): 9:16am On May 31, 2015
CSTR2:
This is were you are wrong. Even if Awolowo and Sardauna are tribalists and Azikiwe is not even though I know all of them are not tribalists but try to protect the interest of their people. Azikiwe lived to see the detoriating state of affairs caused by the military and was alive even after the civil war, but never supported the BIAFRA and even when things were getting bad during babangida gov't, he never for once supported separation. These are leaders who do not have selfish interest but people's interest. Most of the people or so called leader of present. All have selfish interest of enrichment.
GOD Bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan by sademola: 3:15pm On May 31, 2015
CSTR2:
Apples and oranges.

Clap for yourself!!!

1 Like

Re: Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan by SHARIAREPORTERS: 3:18pm On May 31, 2015
I s l a m a b a d
Re: Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan by abduljabbar4(m): 3:49pm On May 31, 2015
Biafrans I hope you are reading

2 Likes

Re: Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan by abduljabbar4(m): 3:54pm On May 31, 2015
CSTR2:
See how you are exposing yourself. Yoruba and Hausa were tribalists but your ibo brother was a nationalist
Re: Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan by IGBOSON2: 4:09pm On May 31, 2015
abduljabbar4:

See how you are exposing yourself. Yoruba and Hausa were tribalists but your ibo brother was a nationalist

^^^Yes, they were! It's on record they both never truly believed in a TRUE Nigerian nation....and they both put their regions/peoples first before Nigeria! But i don't hold no grudge against them as Nigeria is a jungle, and one has to first protect his own! Maybe Ndigbo wouldn't be in the position we presently find ourselves if Azikiwe and Ironsi were a little more tribalistic and a little less gullible, naive and nationalistic!

1 Like

Re: Un Warns Of Mass Starvation In South Sudan by CSTR2: 4:38pm On May 31, 2015
abduljabbar4:

Yes there were both tribalists with notable tribal statements to back it up.
While saudana was busy publicly ramping up northern superiority in the north , awolowo was in the the SW calling Nigeria a "mere geographical expression".
On the other hand ,Nnamdi Azikiwe has no record of tribalism.
Infact, at the early beginning of Nigeria's nationhood, the igbos were the most loyal supporters of one-Nigeria unlike the SW and North playing tribal politics.
Certain things happened and Nigeria lost the support and patriotism of its most loyal citizens of those days -the igbo people .
Instead of the rest of the country to find out what caused such dramatic change and rectify it, they consolidated on the madness that caused the change.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Photo: David Mark Emerges The New Senate Leader / [photos ] President Buhari Conferred As Bayajidda II Of Daura / MTN Free Browsing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.