Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,965 members, 7,810,676 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:09 PM

Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders (45610 Views)

Appointments: Buhari Has Violated Laws —senators / Federal Appointments: Buhari Didn’t Inform Me Of My Non-inclusion -onu / Appointments: Buhari, APC Move To Pacify S’east (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by midolian(m): 9:12am On May 31, 2015
With security at the top of his agenda, President Muhammadu Buhari may have decided to make the announcement of his security team the first in the series of appointments he is expected to make at the start of his administration, THISDAY has learnt. The team is likely to be headed by former Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant-general Abdulrahman Dambazau, who looks set to become the new National Security Adviser.
It is also gathered from a reliable source that the next on the list of appointments would be those of Secretary to the Government of the Federation and Chief of Staff to the President.

This is as Buhari’s silence on executive appointments seen as key to the full take-off of his administration has upset many chieftains of his party, All Progressives Congress. It has also provoked considerable anxiety about the roadmap he is reading after his swearing in as president on May 29.

Many Nigerians had thought from past experience that Buhari would announce major appointments, such as Chief of Staff, media spokesperson NSA, and SGF, at least within 48 hours of his inauguration. Former President Olusegun Obasanjo had sacked all the service chiefs, the director-general of State Security Services, and the NSA on his assumption of office.

Buhari’s refusal to say anything on the appointments has fuelled speculation that he and key stakeholders of APC may not be on the same page with regard to the choice of persons for the positions.

Nonetheless, Buhari and the vice president, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, have declared their assets in line with the constitution. This was disclosed in a statement by the head of Buhari’s media team, Garba Shehu.

But the non-publication of the details of the assets declaration, in keeping with popular expectation and the president’s own past pledge, has rankled with many Nigerians. 

The Code of Conduct Bureau on Friday acknowledged the submission of the asset declaration forms of Buhari and Osinbajo, which were submitted separately on May 28, and endorsed by the organisation's chairman, Sam Saba. Buhari's declarant identity was given as “President: 000001/2015.”

Nigerians expected the president to make his asset declaration public. But Shehu defended Buhari’s decision to limit the declaration to the Code of Conduct Bureau, thus, “President Muhammadu Buhari has declared his assets to the Code of Conduct Bureau as required by the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. If anyone is interested in knowing details of his asset worth, such a person can avail himself or herself of the use of Freedom of Information Act to seek the information from the bureau.”

In a related development, the president has denied placing a travel ban on any Nigerian, including officials of the past administration.

A statement on Saturday by Shehu said, “We have not banned anyone from travelling.” It stressed that all ex-government officials were entitled to their freedom of movement and other rights and privileges under the constitution and must not be subjected to harassment and intimidation at the airports or other points of entry and exit.

The statement was in reaction to reports about “V.I.P. stoppages” yesterday at the airports.

“Unless otherwise directed by the courts, no law-abiding citizens should be barred from travelling abroad. We must treat fellow citizens with courtesy and respect.

"Officials at the borders and other points of entry and exit should conduct their affairs in strict compliance with due process. No one has my permission to bar anyone from travelling abroad,” Shehu quoted Buhari as saying.

Meanwhile, THISDAY learnt that APC leaders insisted they must be carried along by the president in the making of strategic appointments in line with the principle of party supremacy. He had in his inaugural speech on Friday announced the relocation of the Defence Headquarters to Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State, the hotbed of the nearly six-year-old Boko Haram insurgency. This was in apparent demonstration of his determination to tackle the terrorist threat head-on. Against this backdrop, Buhari is believed to have prioritised the appointment of his security team.

The president was said to have initially decided to make Dambazau the Minister of Defence, but other APC leaders who got wind of it objected to the appointment of northerners into the two strategic positions of NSA and defence minister.

The president of Nigerian Guild of Editors and managing director of Sun Newspapers, Femi Adesina, is said to be pencilled in as Buhari’s senior special adviser on media and publicity, and former military administrator of Kaduna State, Col. Abdul Hamid Ali, is being considered for Chief of Staff. Ali had served as Buhari’s Chief of Staff before.

Those eyeing the post of SGF include immediate past governor of Rivers State, Chibuike Amaechi; former governor of Abia State, Chief Ogbonnaya Onu; and the latest entrant, Alhaji Babagana Kingibe.

Sources in APC said Buhari may have settled for Amaechi with the backing of prominent southerners in the party, who are keen on having someone from the region in the position.

Leaders of the party from the south were said to have confronted Buhari over Kingibe's alleged aspiration, insisting he didn't work for the party. But Buhari was said to have informed them that they might  not have been aware that the former SGF actually  worked for his victory behind the scene.

However, Kingibe has become visible since Buhari's victory, prompting leaders of the party from the south to unite behind Amaechi so that the region does not miss the opportunity of producing the SGF.

THISDAY gathered that the delay in the announcement of key appointments by the new government was caused by the president’s decision to refrain from any pronouncement in that regard until major political interests in his party had been catered for.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/key-appointments-buhari-s-silence-unsettles-apc-leaders/210759/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by banito1(m): 9:14am On May 31, 2015
This is serious. A lot of differing interests needs to be balanced, the old dictator and the new democrat are fighting for dominance and the likes of tinubu may be wondering if they've entered one chance.

76 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by Dollyak(f): 9:14am On May 31, 2015
How predictable that most of the key positions are already being given to the northern brothers.
let's wait and see how it pans out. I wouldn't hold my breath, but I hope the most deserving gets the key jobs.

Nigeria is still very regionally biased, so we need a balance of power between north and south to maintain fairness. The north will never accept a government dominated by the Southerners, so it's only fair we do the same.

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by SweetJoystick(m): 9:19am On May 31, 2015
Kingibe better not get any appointment angry

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by dave2meek(m): 9:23am On May 31, 2015
The whole world is watching Apc and Buhari....

5 Likes

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by Nobody: 9:25am On May 31, 2015
I canpaigned for him to win......but he will lose out in the long run if he is blind to multi-ethnic composition of Nigeria

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by 9jii(m): 9:26am On May 31, 2015
PDP IGS NEWS

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by Sirniyeh(m): 9:26am On May 31, 2015
Those who are not happy with Buhari's approach should go and hug transformer.
Wait till monday

74 Likes 1 Share

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by Sirniyeh(m): 9:26am On May 31, 2015
Those who are not happy with Buhari's approach should go and hug transformer.
Wait till monday

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by stevolinkon40: 9:28am On May 31, 2015
We are all watching

Baba already said he belongs to Nobody.
Calm your Ass down.

19 Likes

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by Emphany: 9:29am On May 31, 2015
The APC has never been settled,i doubt if they'll ever be... Awaiting ur lying responds

7 Likes

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by sleekp1: 9:30am On May 31, 2015
Power have shifted to the north courtesy of Tinubu, I don't feel sorry for him.

20 Likes

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by hadura29(m): 9:32am On May 31, 2015
Nemeka:
I canpaigned for him to win......but he will lose out in the long run if he is blind to multi-ethnic composition of Nigeria

No lies my bro, I don't care who he chooses, all I want is a working Nigeria after all we are all Nigerians what's with this ethnicity... Gosh...

75 Likes 1 Share

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by jorlons(m): 9:33am On May 31, 2015
I don't see any reason why our chieftains should be unsettled. The issue of fair representation is an issue PMB needs to handle wisely, it should not be toyed with, all regions of the country deserves to be fairly represented. This shouldn't be an issue and expect them to work it out soonest.

Garba should quit with the FOI, what's the difficulty in just making a copy of the assets declaration available to the press. I'm still of the opinion that it would be made public.

APC chieftains must learn from the mistakes of PDP lest we take the same path they took.

1 Like

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by Chiefpriest1(m): 9:36am On May 31, 2015
Baba will shock so many people. I like people that are not predictable.

Choose your team and take full responsibility for your failures and successes

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by sleekp1: 9:36am On May 31, 2015
[s]
hadura29:

No lies my bro, I don't care who he chooses, all I want is a working Nigeria after all we are all Nigerians what's with this ethnicity... Gosh...
[/s]

Imagine if Jonathan had filled his cabinet with only Otuoke people, bombs would have rained down.

Let me be the governor of your state because ethnicity doesn't matter.

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by hamaworld(m): 9:36am On May 31, 2015
Abeg...all dis reliable source for baba cabinet appointment is same with arsenal transfer market.

I won't believe any news about Buhari cabinet until I see it with my two korokoro eyes

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by Nobody: 9:37am On May 31, 2015
4 years seem a lifetime, but it isn't far.

Whatever he has to do, he better start on time.

President buhari almost formed a parralel government because "he wanted to hit the ground, running"

He better start running.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by Firefire(m): 9:37am On May 31, 2015
Meanwhile, THISDAY learnt that APC leaders insisted they must be carried along by the president in the making of strategic appointments in line with the principle of party supremacy.

What Nigerians require are people who will perform and not the same, recycle and thieving politicians.

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by ramdris(m): 9:37am On May 31, 2015
This news is comical. It has up to four different stories molded into one headline.

Still wonder why people can't just chill and allow this great man to do his job. Different propaganda and speculation from detractors. Lobbying is not. Bad thing and it is done anywhere in the world. Let's stop making it look as if it's bad.

I so believe in this government and I have no doubt the right thingz will be done.

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE.

11 Likes

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by Missfavourblog(f): 9:37am On May 31, 2015
good for them
Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by Firefire(m): 9:37am On May 31, 2015
sleekp1:
[s][/s]

Imagine if Jonathan had filled his cabinet with only Otuoke people, bombs would have rained down.

grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by Obaiyski(m): 9:38am On May 31, 2015
Still folding hand and watching... sad

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by Flets: 9:38am On May 31, 2015
If after Amaechi locks out the judiciary for two years while. Innocent Nigerians die in prison

If after Amaechi abandoned governance for over 2years at the expense of rivers people

If after Amaechi conducted a legally unallowed election 6days to leaving office

If after Amaechi has owed civil servants despite receiving the highest allocation and derivation in 8yrs

If after Amaechi has taken impunity to the next level by avoiding a hand over to his successor. .... and he forms Buhari's cabinet

Then Buhari might have to explain to Nigerians what corruption means and tell.us about his proposed fight against same.

64 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by Flashh: 9:39am On May 31, 2015
For those rushing themselves for him to turn water into wine within few days, what (GEJ) never do for years should calm their brain down. It's step by step.

13 Likes

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by chesterlee(m): 9:39am On May 31, 2015
They never see anything!

2 Likes

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by Emereolevanwill(m): 9:39am On May 31, 2015
Am in chrch will coment larer.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by Nobody: 9:39am On May 31, 2015
Na them sabi. If them like make them carry am go heaven for endorsement before dem announce na them sabi.. Old wine in new bottles

3 Likes

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by olaboy001(m): 9:39am On May 31, 2015
Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by sleekp1: 9:39am On May 31, 2015
Firefire:

Firefire happy Sunday my brother.

2 Likes

Re: Key Appointments: Buhari’s Silence Unsettles APC Leaders by Lanre4uonly(m): 9:40am On May 31, 2015
They should put their house in order and face the task at hand because to whom much is given, much is expected. May God grant President Muhammadu Buhari the strength to pilot the affairs of our dear country to the summit of greatness. God bless Nigeria!

For your best and latest quality stone coated roofing tiles (Bond, Classic, Roman, Shingle, Shake designs) from DS Rooftile, South Korea. Call/Whatsapp Lanre: 07036136517.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

6 Sets Of People Who Are Praying For Buhari To Die & Their Reasons - Ngeneukwenu / Ganduje Distributes Power Bikes To KAROTA (Photos) / Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Storms Tel Aviv University In Israel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.