Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,894 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:45 PM

The Ibo Udu Drum - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Ibo Udu Drum (18795 Views)

History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization / (igbo Language) Udu / Aregbesola Unveils World’s Tallest Drum - Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ibo Udu Drum by bigfrancis21: 3:10am On Jun 02, 2015
Have you heard the mystical sound of udu drums? Relaxing, almost hypnotizing, it carries you into a different world: The land of the Igbo. Below, I'll tell you about the origin and traditions of these African pottery drums.

If you are looking to buy an udu, it is very unlikely that you'll find an authentic one from Africa. The traditional instruments are too fragile to transport. That's why Western manufacturers started to produce modern versions of the African udu.

The Origin Of Udu Drums

The Igbo people are an African tribe that occupies a region in southeastern Nigeria. In their language, "udu" means pot. And that's exactly what these drums originally were: simple water pots.

A potter once struck an extra hole in its side while crafting a water pot and discovered the beautiful sound that resulted from it. This musical pot has many different names in Nigeria: udu, abang mbre (pot for playing) or kim kim, just to name a few.

The Traditional Use Of Udus

Like other African percussion instruments, udus have religious functions. The Igbo also use clay pots and other pottery ware for rituals and ceremonies.

It can be hard for us Westerners to imagine what that means. Here are some examples of who may set up a traditional shrine and why:

a woman that is unable to have a child
a family that suffers from sickness or poverty
a community that is threatened by war or natural disasters

The pottery and other sacred items become a medium for spirits, ancestors and gods. The Igbo make prayers and sacrifices before them to please the spirits and ask them for help and guidance. During these rituals, the deep haunting sounds of the udu drums are believed to be the voices of ancestors.

Udu Drums In Modern Times

Today, the sounds of musical pots praise God in churches, because nowadays most Igbos are Christians. And even men fearlessly play it to entertain audiences in bars.

Of course, also famous African stars and Western percussionists have noticed the peaceful and mystical sound of this African instrument:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wSeGxn8v00g
Dobet Gnahore, the rising star from the Ivory Coast plays an udu in "Paleo".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lctTIPGNLys
Frank Giorgini's Set of 4 Udu Drums Played by Brian Melick

The Udu is percussion instrument that is classified as a "vessel drum". It is played amongst the Igbo peoples. Amongst the Igbo people, the udu is much wider shape and volume. Originally the use of the udu was to be used as a water jug. In the languages of these peoples the word "udu" means "peace" or "vessel". Traditionally the udu was only made by the women in the Igbo. It was also used originally as a water jug. The word udu means vessel "peace" or "vessel". Today the Udu is now used and adapted into many different musical styles, from jazz, to rock, to classical and even Persian classical music. The udu was adapted by notable groups like the Kamkars and other Persian musicians. The left and right hands when striking the udu push a certain amount of air through the vessel. This leads to a deep resonant sound that is reminiscent to the Indian tablah.

http://www.african-music-safari.com/udu-drums.html

http://www.museumofworldmusic.com/udu.html

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by Teeboy22(m): 5:05am On Jun 02, 2015
nice one bruh....

Hw i wished i was a igbo guy....

13 Likes

Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by Phut(f): 6:52am On Jun 02, 2015
The Udu sounds amazing. The ubo is otherworldly.

Wouldn't it just sound heavenly: A hundred man orchestra of Udu, Ubo, Ogene, igba, Ichaka and mgbirigba players.

In fact I think our musicians (e.g. Phyno and Flavour) should stop using the western guitar, piano etc and go back to our traditional instruments. Below is a nice thread that somegirl posted a while ago

https://www.nairaland.com/1473676/igbo-traditional-music-musical-instruments/1#18932287

P.S. Our carnivals should fully reflect our culture instead of mimicking the West Indian ones which originated from our masquerade (mmonwu) traditions

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by makazona(m): 11:04am On Jun 02, 2015
Great work as usual but i don't actually like it when an Igbo man misspells the word Igbo as "ibo".

Pls Biggy take note....

One love

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by Ihuomadinihu: 4:50pm On Jun 02, 2015
Nice! I was thinking of opening a thread like this but this my small phone wouldn't let me.
The Udu drum is no longer local,percussionist from different parts of the world travel to Igboland to learn more about our Udu. Consequently, Western Musicians are gradually adding Udu to their music and instruments. Udu has been compared to the Indian Tabla but i can tell you that the tabla is a 'learner' when it comes to Igbo Udu. I have two Tabla music on my phone and it's nothing compared to Udu. Udu has also been compared to the Indian Ghatam,which is actually an Udu but it's still a learner(pardon my slang).
There is nothing wrong in using Western Piano and Guitar but i think it's time our musicians take a break and revive our traditional instruments. I recently discovered Igbos had thumb piano, harp,xylophones, Zither,wood block etc. As expected,most of these instruments have been neglected.

2 Likes

Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by Ihuomadinihu: 5:25pm On Jun 02, 2015
Phut:
The Udu sounds amazing. The ubo is otherworldly.

Wouldn't it just sound heavenly: A hundred man orchestra of Udu, Ubo, Ogene, igba, Ichaka and mgbirigba players.

In fact I think our musicians (e.g. Phyno and Flavour) should stop using the western guitar, piano etc and go back to our traditional instruments. Below is a nice thread that somegirl posted a while ago

https://www.nairaland.com/1473676/igbo-traditional-music-musical-instruments/1#18932287

P.S. Our carnivals should fully reflect our culture instead of mimicking the West Indian ones which originated from our masquerade (mmonwu) traditions
I don't think the Ubo is still in use. The last people that played it was Area scatter and Parley Brown from Ohaji Egbema. We really need to revive these instruments. That is why i respect Indians for protecting their culture and civilization. The White men entered Igboland and igbos neglected their culture. Uri,a traditional igbo body cosmetics should come back too.

3 Likes

Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by odumchi: 5:50pm On Jun 02, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

I don't think the Ubo is still in use. The last people that played it was Area scatter and Parley Brown from Ohaji Egbema.

It's certainly in decline, but there are a few artists that still employ it in their music. Akunwafor Obiligbo (a native of Nteje) still makes use of it to date as well as a few other egwu ekpili musicians from other parts of Anambra. I've also heard and seen its use amongst local music groups in Ikwereland, Ngwaland and other parts of southern Ali Igbo.

5 Likes

Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by Phut(f): 6:28pm On Jun 02, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
Nice! I was thinking of opening a thread like this but this my small phone wouldn't let me.
The Udu drum is no longer local,percussionist from different parts of the world travel to Igboland to learn more about our Udu. Consequently, Western Musicians are gradually adding Udu to their music and instruments. Udu has been compared to the Indian Tabla but i can tell you that the tabla is a 'learner' when it comes to Igbo Udu. I have two Tabla music on my phone and it's nothing compared to Udu. Udu has also been compared to the Indian Ghatam,which is actually an Udu but it's still a learner(pardon my slang).
There is nothing wrong in using Western Piano and Guitar [b]but i think it's time our musicians take a break and revive our traditional [/b]instruments. I recently discovered Igbos had thumb piano, harp,xylophones, Zither,wood block etc. As expected,most of these instruments have been neglected.

That's exactly what I mean. I actually do not have a problem with any of the Western instruments, but none of our instruments should be allowed to go into oblivion. Perhaps they could be played side by side?

3 Likes

Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by Phut(f): 6:29pm On Jun 02, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

I don't think the Ubo is still in use. The last people that played it was Area scatter and Parley Brown from Ohaji Egbema. We really need to revive these instruments. That is why i respect Indians for protecting their culture and civilization. The White men entered Igboland and igbos neglected their culture. Uri,a traditional igbo body cosmetics should come back too.

Please tell me more about Uri. Perhaps a separate thread so we don't derail this one
Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by Phut(f): 6:32pm On Jun 02, 2015
makazona:
Great work as usual but i don't actually like it when an Igbo man misspells the word Igbo as "ibo".

Pls Biggy take note....

One love

I don't think its as big a deal as some peoples make it.

What is in a name?

What is the point of ignoring the substance (cultural preservation) while chasing shadows?

1 Like

Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by Ihuomadinihu: 9:19pm On Jun 02, 2015
Phut:

Please tell me more about Uri. Perhaps a separate thread so we don't derail this one
It's called Uri or Uli. It's an ancient igbo body art or temporary tatoo. It's popularly seen in epic igbo movies but black pencils are used in place of the original Uri paint.

1 Like

Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by Phut(f): 10:08pm On Jun 02, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

It's called Uri or Uli. It's an ancient igbo body art or temporary tatoo. It's popularly seen in epic igbo movies but black pencils are used in place of the original Uri paint.

What color is Uli, orange? So it looks kind of like henna?

BTW, my grandmother (Ine'm Idu) had a permanent tattoo on her stomach. She passed away last year. May her soul R.I.P

1 Like

Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by makazona(m): 10:38pm On Jun 02, 2015
Phut:

I don't think its as big a deal as some peoples make it.

What is in a name?

What is the point of ignoring the substance (cultural preservation) while chasing shadows?

like seriously?

what if i call u "Slut" instead of Phut? since there is nothing in a name

no offence intended

1 Like

Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by Ihuomadinihu: 10:43pm On Jun 02, 2015
Phut:

What color is Uli, orange? So it looks kind of like henna?

BTW, my grandmother (Ine'm Idu) had a permanent tattoo on her stomach. She passed away last year. May her soul R.I.P
Aww,sorry. Uli is just temporary and last for a few days. It usually comes in black and indigo colour. I will send you a link shortly.
Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by Phut(f): 12:51am On Jun 03, 2015
makazona:

like seriously?

what if i call u "Slut" instead of Phut? since there is nothing in a name

no offence intended

Don't be elementary.

One is clearly perjorative, while the other isn't.

Carry on sha

2 Likes

Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by Phut(f): 12:51am On Jun 03, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Aww,sorry. Uli is just temporary and last for a few days. It usually comes in black and indigo colour. I will send you a link shortly.

Thanks, dear. Will be waiting
Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:34am On Jun 03, 2015
The Udu Igbo musical instrument,it brings richness balance and completion into the music yet one of the easiest instrument to play. It very prominent among Idenmili women dance group,Udu is also a cardinal instrument of egwu ekpili introduced by the likes of Nwoye Nwazodo,Okonkwo Iyaji Asaa seven-seven Ayaka Umunri,Akunwafor Obiligbo,Ifeanyi Agwuedu,Ozoemena Nsugbe.
For those who don't know what it sounds like to to YouTube and search for Afam Ogbuotobo from Onicha,Egwuobi Umuoji and feel your souls with the beautiful sound of Udu.

2 Likes

Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by Ihuomadinihu: 6:26am On Jun 03, 2015
OdenigboAroli:
The Udu Igbo musical instrument,it brings richness balance and completion into the music yet one of the easiest instrument to play. It very prominent among Idenmili women dance group,Udu is also a cardinal instrument of egwu ekpili introduced by the likes of Nwoye Nwazodo,Okonkwo Iyaji Asaa seven-seven Ayaka Umunri,Akunwafor Obiligbo,Ifeanyi Agwuedu,Ozoemena Nsugbe.
For those who don't know what it sounds like to to YouTube and search for Afam Ogbuotobo from Onicha,Egwuobi Umuoji and feel your souls with the beautiful sound of Udu.
I've not seen any Igbo region or choir or dance group where Udu is not a prominent instrument. Let's stop restricting general igbo stuffs to one region biko.

2 Likes

Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by makazona(m): 11:11am On Jun 03, 2015
Phut:

Don't be elementary.

One is clearly perjorative, while the other isn't.

Carry on sha

No dear, i am not being "elementary".
The word "Ibo" is a derogatory way of refering to Igbo and if not corrected, Igbo children will make same mistake in years to come.
Hausa=Hausa
Zulu=Zulu
Yoruba=Yoruba
Xhosa=Xhosa
Navajo=Navajo
Igbo=Ibo?

I beg to disagree, Dear.

11 Likes

Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by Ihuomadinihu: 11:45am On Jun 03, 2015
odumchi:

It's certainly in decline, but there are a few artists that still employ it in their music. Akunwafor Obiligbo (a native of Nteje) still makes use of it to date as well as a few other egwu ekpili musicians from other parts of Anambra. I've also heard and seen its use amongst local music groups in Ikwereland, Ngwaland and other parts of southern Ali Igbo.
Thanks. I will probably go youtube and look for the aforementioned artists.
Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by bigfrancis21: 1:26pm On Jun 03, 2015
makazona:

Pls Biggy take note....

One love

I get your concern bro. I never use 'ibo' for 'Igbo'. I went by 'ibo udu' because that is the phrase it is well known by all over the internet.

My usage of 'ibo' in the title is only for this thread.
Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by makazona(m): 1:37pm On Jun 03, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I get your concern bro. I never use 'ibo' for 'Igbo'. I went by 'ibo udu' because that is the phrase it is well known by all over the internet.

My usage of 'ibo' in the title is only for this thread.

Nice to hear that Biggy.

Ndewo

1 Like

Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by magabounce(m): 2:59pm On Jun 03, 2015
Hian!!!!
Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by StepTwo: 3:00pm On Jun 03, 2015
this be like Igbo thread, ma go find my own
Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by idithlove(f): 3:00pm On Jun 03, 2015
Nice
Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by gbaskiboy: 3:00pm On Jun 03, 2015
Igbo kwenu, Ndi igbo kwezo unu.... Oga dili anyi ma. Oganiru bu nke anyin

Pia likes button obu ni ikwere

8 Likes

Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jun 03, 2015
Kk
Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by softnipples(f): 3:01pm On Jun 03, 2015
Nice to know. Very insightful because I'm tabula raza personified when it comes to Nigerian culture and languages grin
Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by TAVOX: 3:01pm On Jun 03, 2015
Wow.
Re: The Ibo Udu Drum by Chebs212(m): 3:02pm On Jun 03, 2015
This land is for sale, buharist will come and attack me bu am ready for them

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It True That Females Always End Up In The Kitchen? (photo) / Is Marriage Still Important In Modern Society/Culture? I Dont Think So. / People Build Better Houses In The Village: Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.