Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

Three Arguments For God's Existence - Religion (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Three Arguments For God's Existence (99693 Views)

What Christians Say When They Are Losing Arguments (For Atheists) / How Did Demons Come Into Existence? Who Created Them? / 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (48) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jul 18, 2015
Thehomer you never still burn out. You don lose this case since page 19
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 18, 2015
UyiIredia:

I'll just repeat what timonski said:
"What one has to go through to deny existence of the Almighty Creator. SMDH!"
LOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOL
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by UyiIredia(m): 1:17pm On Jul 18, 2015
timonski:

LOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOL

As in ! D guy funny. It's a deus ex machina but it's not God undecided wetin the 'deus' come be ?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jul 18, 2015
UyiIredia:

As in ! D guy funny. It's a deus ex machina but it's not God undecided wetin the 'deus' come be ?
lol. Kay17 na gal, FEMINIST for that matter.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by dalaman: 1:37pm On Jul 18, 2015
34 pages and no one has been able to show us the scientific proof that DNA was created by a supernatural entity. The topic saus 3 arguments for the existence of God. Shoq us the scientific studies that shows that DNA was created by a supernatural entity already. What are you guys waiting for? Scince can't account for theexistence of the DNA. Show us how the supernatural created the DNA and end this endless rigmarole.

1 Like

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by davodyguy: 1:41pm On Jul 18, 2015
dalaman:
34 pages and no one has been able to show us the scientific proof that DNA was created by a supernatural entity. The topic saus 3 arguments for the existence of God. Shoq us the scientific studies that shows that DNA was created by a supernatural entity already. What are you guys waiting for? Scince can't account for theexistence of the DNA. Show us how the supernatural created the DNA and end this endless rigmarole.
So is it a fact that science doesn't know it all?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jul 18, 2015
dalaman:
1g of dna can store up to 700TB of data. Isn't this proof enough?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by UyiIredia(m): 1:49pm On Jul 18, 2015
dalaman:

How do you want us to show you ? Do you want to see God making it ?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by UyiIredia(m): 1:50pm On Jul 18, 2015
timonski:
lol. Kay17 na gal, FEMINIST for that matter.
Shuu ! Kay17 is this true ?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by dalaman: 1:52pm On Jul 18, 2015
UyiIredia:

How do you want us to show you ? Do you want to see God making it ?

Scientific studies that attributes the origin of the DNA to a supernatural studies will suffice.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by dalaman: 1:53pm On Jul 18, 2015
davodyguy:
So is it a fact that science doesn't know it all?

Do you know what science is?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by UyiIredia(m): 1:57pm On Jul 18, 2015
dalaman:

Scientific studies that attributes the origin of the DNA to a supernatural studies will suffice.

You won't see that because mainstream science is plagued by materialism. However, peer-reviewed creationist and ID studies have touched on similar problems.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by davodyguy: 1:59pm On Jul 18, 2015
dalaman:

Do you know what science is?
May be I don't. Do you mind sharing with me?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by dalaman: 2:02pm On Jul 18, 2015
UyiIredia:

You won't see that because mainstream science is plagued by materialism. However, peer-reviewed creationist and ID studies have touched on similar problems.

And creationist and ID studies have demonstrated that the supernatural created the DNA through which verifiable studies?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by dalaman: 2:08pm On Jul 18, 2015
davodyguy:
May be I don't. Do you mind sharing with me?

Science is a growing body of knowledge. 50 years ago we didn't even know much about the brain and how it functions. 50 years ago we didn't know what the DNA was. Science discovered the DNA and how it functions. If there is anything that can explain the origin of the DNA it will be science not religion.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by davodyguy: 2:23pm On Jul 18, 2015
dalaman:

Science is a growing body of knowledge. 50 years ago we didn't even know much about the brain and how it functions. 50 years ago we didn't know what the DNA qas. Science discovered the DNA and how it functions. If there is anything that can explain the origin of the DNA it will be science not religion.
Beautiful.

I love your response.

science is still growing. We can only hope that one day, Science would have grown to explain everything in life but till then, Science doesn't have all answers

Science can't interpret dreams, neither can it explain how a woman with no remnant of womb gave birth without medical inducement
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by SNCOQ3(m): 2:30pm On Jul 18, 2015
Kay17:

I will answer both A and B together. Sorry for the long delay, do manage to relate it with the entire thread.

I think the Universe is governed by physical laws...

Just like a watchmaker:
He makes his watch self-regulate - Physical laws
He made the watch; he is not the watch - Transcendence
He rewinds or changes the battery, and fixes the watch when necessary - Immanence

...which are made known by observation.
That is why we don't have to 'transcend' common sense to know physical laws exist.

Our observation could be wrong at times...
It takes more than a cursory observation to classify it a law.

...but we understand that there is a systemic regularity in the manner things are run in the Universe.
the 'bolded' is a word salad for DESIGN.
To rephrase you word: "...but we understand that there is design in the manner things are run in the Universe"

You have solidly affirm design.

We are so adapted to regularity that we hardly question it.
Any evidence that we adapted to regularity? That we transited from a chaotic mindset(yaba left) to a 'regular' mindset that can sense order?

You're free to question 'regularity' with your sanity. You can try it for 2 weeks... All na scientific experiment, no wan go stop you.

The common regularity and arrangement we find in the Universe is imposed by the physical laws,
and all structural complexities and causalities are governed by it.
What you are describing is Design and Engineering.
Physical laws is not an imposition on design but a part of what constitute the environment. The other part is space-time.
The environment and all things in it is called the Universe- A grand design; Therefore physical laws is part of the grand design.

By structural complexities, that includes man-made complexities as well as complexities we see about. And like Uyi and Davidylan who are able to see the commonality between man-made complexities and complexities we see about, I see that structural complexity binding both.
That is: the mango tree in front of my house- a product of 'nature' and my house- a product of man are governed by physical laws.
Then what?
We Christians believe that man's creative power is subject to the supremacy of God creative power. Isn't that in agreement with your assertion in 'bold'?

Now, Uyi and Davidlyan both think that we can extrapolate the workings and displays of human intelligence to the Universe, because both seem to have a defined structure. And to them, all structures require a foresight.
There must be a guided anticipation to accomplish the function of the structure. So they argue more or less, that we should find the function and then by reverse engineering find the maker.
It does not require reverse engineering to come to a commonsensical conclusion; It takes a sane mind to do so.
a well design structure- complex or simple is a product of an intelligent mind. Any proof to the contrary?

But humans exercise their intelligence by understanding the physical laws in the Universe, ...
My imagination is independent of physical laws. But I must consider physical laws to create an object useful in a physical world.

A game programmer can create his own virtual world, name it Mongos with Mongal Laws. Their is no gravity nor friction in mongos. Mongals are intelligent 'creatures' without legs, they teleport.

Relatively, Anthills are magnificent skyscrapers with cooling systems that puts our modern skyscrapers to shame.
They are built by termites- Ants with well-organized social structure. They gather food during the good days and store for the raining days.

Kay17, Do termites also exercise their intelligence by understanding the physical laws in the Universe? Or is it in-built or both?

...and modelling their structures to align with them. For example, when humans decided to travel every fast, we realized that there is a way things work and there are rules which we have to follow. We cannot build block cars in our F1 races, rather the cars must be streamlined just as fishes are. Similarly with houses, they function as shelters but they need foundations, weight bearing standards etc. Maybe that is why magic does not work.
That is not entirely correct.
Engineering is basically about manipulating physical laws to serve a specific purpose. Alignment is just one aspect of manipulation: when I want rain water in my barrel, I make an object to redirect the water not align with the water.
Their are also vibration, contraction, expansion, attraction, repulsion, compression, diversion ... on and on.

To selectively select 'align' is reductionism. A futile attempt to use an aspect of something to explain the whole.

In another way, the Universe is a platform for human designs.
What should be consistent with your argument so far is: "In another way, the Universe is a platform designed for human designs".

So the Universe is actually influencing our designs and not the other way round.
Nonsense. This is a violation of the Law of Action and Reaction.

Ecological concerns like acid rain aside, how does your argument prove an alternative to the fact that order/design can only proceed from an intelligent mind?

So all extrapolations made regarding the Universe with human designs are wrong. So also, to find the Universe designed, you have to seek for another platform upon whose rules the Universe was designed to align with.
Spaghetti analysis. Spaghetti conclusion.
Pass me a plate of salad.

The obvious question you will ask, the origin of physical laws, and to be sincere I have thought about it but i can only speculate.
What is your speculation?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by UyiIredia(m): 4:13pm On Jul 18, 2015
dalaman:

And creationist and ID studies have demonstrated that the supernatural created the DNA through which verifiable studies?

How would you expect it to be demonstrated ? In any case, there are many books and studies detailing why life, and its DNA, was created. Here's a link to one of them

www.clv-server.de/pdf/255255.pdf
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 6:06pm On Jul 18, 2015
thehomer:

Which statement was the lie? Is it not a fact that red blood cells live for months without DNA? What exactly is wrong with you?

It was a lie by omission.

*You claimed that one would last a few hours after his/her DNA is completely removed from the body
*I then countered that one would die immediately on a cellular level.
*You then said that trillions of cells function without DNA
*What you failed to mention was that 10 times more cells (majority of cells) need DNA. It is only red blood and cornified cells that can function without DNA.

thehomer:

You stupid ignorant buffoon. The definition you presented was talking about character. Didn't you read it before you posted it as your definition? It's clear that you don't know what literal is because your example demonstrates my point and shows your confusion. Eba is literally garri since whatever applies to Eba applies to garri. I showed you that some things that apply to DNA do not apply to you and vice versa. Your ignorance is what prevents you from understanding this simple point.

So when British or American people say "he is literally a dead man walking", does that mean that the man walking is exactly dead? No it doesnt mean that the man is exactly dead but has something that will essentially make him dead soon. Literally does not mean exactly.

Also, the definition is clear- "literal" refers to the essence of the character (nature) of something. When they say "literally a dead man walking", this is what they mean- A man walking around with terminal brain cancer is a dead man walking; the brain cancer is essentially death for the man. Terminal brain cancer is not exactly death but it will bring about death.

You misunderstood the definition and retorted in derision that "eba/DNA has character". The definition is not using "character" in the sense you used it. It means "character" as in the "nature" of something.

Also, Eba is not exactly garri but you agreed that eba is literally garri. Eba is 40% water and 60% garri.
Why then will you argue that your DNA is not literally you? When your DNA defines your physical self?

Very clearly before, I stated that your DNA is not exactly you- about 2 posts ago.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Kay17: 9:01pm On Jul 18, 2015
SNCOQ3:

Just like a watchmaker:
He makes his watch self-regulate - Physical laws
He made the watch; he is not the watch - Transcendence
He rewinds or changes the battery, and fixes the watch when necessary - Immanence

That is why we don't have to 'transcend' common sense to know physical laws exist.

It takes more than a cursory observation to classify it a law.

the 'bolded' is a word salad for DESIGN.
To rephrase you word: "...but we understand that there is design in the manner things are run in the Universe"

You have solidly affirm design.

Any evidence that we adapted to regularity? That we transited from a chaotic mindset(yaba left) to a 'regular' mindset that can sense order?

You're free to question 'regularity' with your sanity. You can try it for 2 weeks... All na scientific experiment, no wan go stop you.

What you are describing is Design and Engineering.
Physical laws is not an imposition on design but a part of what constitute the environment. The other part is space-time.
The environment and all things in it is called the Universe- A grand design; Therefore physical laws is part of the grand design.

That is: the mango tree in front of my house- a product of 'nature' and my house- a product of man are governed by physical laws.
Then what?
We Christians believe that man's creative power is subject to the supremacy of God creative power. Isn't that in agreement with your assertion in 'bold'?

It does not require reverse engineering to come to a commonsensical conclusion; It takes a sane mind to do so.
a well design structure- complex or simple is a product of an intelligent mind. Any proof to the contrary?

My imagination is independent of physical laws. But I must consider physical laws to create an object useful in a physical world.

A game programmer can create his own virtual world, name it Mongos with Mongal Laws. Their is no gravity nor friction in mongos. Mongals are intelligent 'creatures' without legs, they teleport.

Relatively, Anthills are magnificent skyscrapers with cooling systems that puts our modern skyscrapers to shame.
They are built by termites- Ants with well-organized social structure. They gather food during the good days and store for the raining days.

Kay17, Do termites also exercise their intelligence by understanding the physical laws in the Universe? Or is it in-built or both?

That is not entirely correct.
Engineering is basically about manipulating physical laws to serve a specific purpose. Alignment is just one aspect of manipulation: when I want rain water in my barrel, I make an object to redirect the water not align with the water.
Their are also vibration, contraction, expansion, attraction, repulsion, compression, diversion ... on and on.

To selectively select 'align' is reductionism. A futile attempt to use an aspect of something to explain the whole.

What should be consistent with your argument so far is: "In another way, the Universe is a platform designed for human designs".

Nonsense. This is a violation of the Law of Action and Reaction.

Ecological concerns like acid rain aside, how does your argument prove an alternative to the fact that order/design can only proceed from an intelligent mind?

Spaghetti analysis. Spaghetti conclusion.
Pass me a plate of salad.

What is your speculation?

To sincere, I do not see your objection. You seem to accept the appearance of design is owed to physical laws, which is my point all along. The remainder points you raised are all moot; whether termites are intelligent or not. Assuming the termites are not intelligent and are stupid, and they blindly stumbled upon anthills with cooling system will be interesting and good luck with them.

Theists tie design with God's existence as a matter of necessity. Removing that necessity, removes the necessity of God's existence.

1 Like

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:40am On Jul 19, 2015
dalaman:

Science is a growing body of knowledge. 50 years ago we didn't even know much about the brain and how it functions. 50 years ago we didn't know what the DNA was. Science discovered the DNA and how it functions. If there is anything that can explain the origin of the DNA it will be science not religion.

Am not sure you really understand the true purpose of science or religion . Christians understand both and its clearly evident on this thread .
And please can you show me through science how

1. Something came from nothing without a cause and begat everything

2 How life came from inorganic matter (non living )

... or wait... isn't that "magic"? embarassed ... never mind
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:36am On Jul 19, 2015
thehomer:

I wanted you to say it specifically. Now, how did God create humans? Did he mould them with his hands? Or did he just produce them with his omnipotence? Or what?

Yes he did , with hands :

Genesis 2:7

7 Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

Psalm 8:4-6

4 what is mankind that you are mindful of them,human beings that you care for them?
5 You have made them a little lower than the angels and crowned them with glory and honor.
6 You made them rulers over the works of your hands; you put everything under their feet:

Light and darkness

Isaiah 45:7

7 I form the light and create darkness,
I bring prosperity and create disaster;
I, the Lord, do all these things.

form verb

make or be made into a specific shape or form

"Let there be light " . This might give you the perception of magic or something coming from nothing but continue ...

Meaning : Made visible

The earth was restored 6,000 years ago not created ; let was used to restore the orderliness of the once-created . Everything ... universes , planets were created billions of years ago

Isaiah 48:13

13 My own hand laid the foundations of the earth, and my right hand spread out the heavens ; when I summon them, they all stand up together.

Dinosaurs , mammoths , were created far back . Now Ive understood their purpose of creation (everything has a purpose of existing because God made it so). To provide resources needed for man to create or give the ability of functionality to his creations . Cars , planes , just name it

Psalm 82:6

6 “I said, ‘You are “gods”; you are all sons of the Most High.’

... this shows we have the ability to create just like Him

Genesis 1:26 a

26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness ... "

Likeness - meaning : outward appearance of ; resemblance

We have hands just like God ; we can create with our hands or form .

We form dough into balls - with our hands . Their circular shape was as a result of dexterity ; same with other hand made stuff

In conclusion : Our ability to create - a reflection of man's resemblance to God

C'est fini !
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by davien(m): 2:38am On Jul 19, 2015
timonski:

1g of dna can store up to 700TB of data. Isn't this proof enough?
haba!!...park well grin
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:49am On Jul 19, 2015
davien:
haba!!...park well grin

lol ... please davien show me how that ability to store that size of data "arose naturally "

Leave me in awe shocked shocked shocked

Wow me with science shocked shocked

grin

By the way I'll address your polytheist argument much later cool
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by davien(m): 2:57am On Jul 19, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

lol ... please dave show me how that ability to store that size of date "arise naturally "

Leave me in awe shocked shocked shocked

Wow me with science shocked shocked

By the way I'll address your polytheist argument much later cool
numbnuts,DNA doesn't store 700 Terabytes...it's only a template that can be used for data compression...and this is in large part only possible due to the data(the data the fellow i was responding to) being in a compressible form like binary...

"The work, carried out by George Church and Sri Kosuri, basically treats DNA as just another digital storage device. Instead of binary data being encoded as magnetic regions on a hard drive platter, strands of DNA that store 96 bits are synthesized, with each of the bases (TGAC) representing a binary value (T and G = 1, A and C = 0)"

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/134672-harvard-cracks-dna-storage-crams-700-terabytes-of-data-into-a-single-gram

And in truth any form of matter can be converted into "data" by plotting a sequence that is repetitive and predictable,how do you think computers work?....that doesn't make rocks and mud "designed" grin
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:23am On Jul 19, 2015
davien:
numbnuts,DNA doesn't store 700 Terabytes...it's only a template that can be used for data compression...and this is in large part only possible due to the data(the data the fellow i was responding to) being in a compressible form like binary...

"The work, carried out by George Church and Sri Kosuri, basically treats DNA as just another digital storage device. Instead of binary data being encoded as magnetic regions on a hard drive platter, strands of DNA that store 96 bits are synthesized, with each of the bases (TGAC) representing a binary value (T and G = 1, A and C = 0)"

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/134672-harvard-cracks-dna-storage-crams-700-terabytes-of-data-into-a-single-gram

And in truth any form of matter can be converted into "data" by plotting a sequence that is repetitive and predictable,how do you think computers work?....that doesn't make rocks and mud "designed" grin

Typical davien , This does not show how it arose naturally . cool It just described one of its characteristics . Am still waiting to be wowed !
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:27am On Jul 19, 2015
Hey davien , leave me feeling like grin grin:

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:33am On Jul 19, 2015
Kay17:

Theists tie design with God's existence as a matter of necessity. Removing that necessity, removes the necessity of God's existence.

Fallacy !

When "God" is said , basic descriptions of Him should come to mind

→ Supreme Being
→ Creator
→Wonder worker
→ Highly intelligent being

If these are understood , then you have no problem . Can this be proven outside the bible? Yes and BASICALLY

→Existence , Design and Complexity of life forms
→Miracles
→Effects of His Power on Nature
→Personal Experiences
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by davien(m): 3:38am On Jul 19, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Typical davien , This does not show how it arose naturally . cool It just described one of its characteristics . Am still waiting to be wowed !
wow....the sheer ignorance is apalling...smh sad ( read carefully below )

KingEbukasBlog:

lol ... please davien show me how that ability to store that size of data "arose naturally "

davien:
numbnuts,DNA doesn't store 700 Terabytes...it's only a template that can be used for data compression ...and this is in large part only possible due to the data(the data the fellow i was responding to) being in a compressible form like binary...

And in truth any form of matter can be converted into "data" by plotting a sequence that is repetitive and predictable ,how do you think computers work?....that doesn't make rocks and mud "designed" grin

Asking a non-question around a strawman and then laughing has been the height of your capabilities...

1 Like

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:42am On Jul 19, 2015
davien:
wow....the sheer ignorance is apalling...smh sad ( read carefully below )

Ok am sorry :

Show me how through evolution (development through simple forms) :

It became: "only a template that can be used for data compression ...and this is in large part only possible due to the data(the data the fellow i was responding to) being in a compressible form like binary..."

and how it

"can be converted into "data" by plotting a sequence that is repetitive and predictable "

Have I explained myself ? cool grin
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:48am On Jul 19, 2015
davien:

Asking a non-question around a strawman

something came out from nothing then grin grin
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by davien(m): 3:49am On Jul 19, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Ok am sorry :

Show me how through evolution (development through simple forms) :
Show me how through relativity you digest food.. undecided

It became: "only a template that can be used for data compression ...and this is in large part only possible due to the data(the data the fellow i was responding to) being in a compressible form like binary..."
because it comprises of bases that can be attributed to 1's and 0's(binary)

and how it

"can be converted into "data" by plotting a sequence that is repetitive and predictable "

Have I explained myself ? cool grin
data in this sense is a sequence that is repetitive and predictable...you're basically asking a "how" on another "how".... i.e how is laughing laughing?

It's not funny that you have trouble understanding simple statements,it tells of your education..

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (48) (Reply)

2014 Prophecies By Pastor Adeboye (RCCG) / Pastor Anita Oyakhilome Absent From Sharon's Wedding? (Photos) / Did you know that Pull Out Game Is Sinful?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.