Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,109 members, 7,852,756 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 04:22 AM

Obasanjo Appointed Co-chair Of Council Of World Ex-presidents. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Appointed Co-chair Of Council Of World Ex-presidents. (708 Views)

Saraki tells 3 Ex-Presidents, Influential Nigerians To Come To His Rescue-Nation / Obasanjo Appointed Co-chair Of Council Of World Ex-presidents / Obasanjo Denies Snubbing Jonathan, Shagari, Other Ex-presidents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Appointed Co-chair Of Council Of World Ex-presidents. by Josele01(m): 3:07pm On Jun 06, 2015
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo is the
first African to have been appointed co-chair
of the InterAction Council of Former Heads of
State and Government during the 32nd annual
plenary meeting in Newport, United Kingdom. “I am humbled to have been elected as Co-
Chair of the InterAction Council, a position that
has been held by some of my great friends
who were also my mentors over the years –
Helmut Schmidt of Germany and the late
Malcolm Fraser of Australia – and also to
serve alongside my longtime friend Jean
Chrétien, the former Prime Minister of
Canada,” Obasanjo said on Friday after his
appointment.
“We will continue the Council’s important
work, but also look at some issues that are of
particular concern to me, like youth
engagement and employment. Africa has many
problems but also great opportunities, and the
IAC will look at both.”
Obasanjo has governed Nigeria as both the
head of a military administration (1975-1979)
and then as a democratically-elected civilian
president (1999-2007). He was a founding
member of the InterAction Council, taking leave
for the years when he resumed office as
president in 1999.
Obasanjo has assumed the position from Franz
Vranitzky, former chancellor of Austria
(1986-1997), who served as co-chair from 1
July 2010 until now.
Established in 1983, the InterAction Council of
Former Heads of State and Government is an
international organization addressing political,
economic and social problems of
the humankind. The membership is comprised
of over thirty former heads of state who
submit their proposals of actions directly to
national and international decision-makers.
In its 32-year history, the InterAction Council
has been at the forefront of many prominent
issues, most notably the 1997 drafting of
the Universal Declaration of Human
Responsibilities, a document that
counterbalances the UN’s Declaration of
Human Rights; the 2010 Hiroshima
Declaration, a powerful plea for the
abolishment of nuclear weapons; and the 2012
report, The Global Water Crisis: Addressing an
Urgent Security Issue. www.naij.com/454297-obasanjo-appointed-co-chair-of-interaction-council.html
Re: Obasanjo Appointed Co-chair Of Council Of World Ex-presidents. by INTROVERT(f): 3:08pm On Jun 06, 2015
Baba o grin
Re: Obasanjo Appointed Co-chair Of Council Of World Ex-presidents. by Acekidc4(m): 3:09pm On Jun 06, 2015
Good One for Baba Iyabocheesy
Re: Obasanjo Appointed Co-chair Of Council Of World Ex-presidents. by Flets: 3:09pm On Jun 06, 2015
Really? .... who cares?

What value did Obj add to this country and what value is he adding at the moment?
Where are the 1000 snipers?
What of the handover of govt to the military by GEJ?
He remains an element of controversy and division across all divides of this country including his immediate family

The day people like Obj leave Nigeria political scenery is the day I will begin to see hope on the horizon

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Appointed Co-chair Of Council Of World Ex-presidents. by EverestdeBliu(m): 3:09pm On Jun 06, 2015
But why?
Re: Obasanjo Appointed Co-chair Of Council Of World Ex-presidents. by okotv(m): 3:11pm On Jun 06, 2015
This baba keeps going from grace to grace. I wonder why some folks who haven't achieved a little of what he has loathe him.

Congratulations, always remember to represent us well.
Re: Obasanjo Appointed Co-chair Of Council Of World Ex-presidents. by Mogidi: 3:11pm On Jun 06, 2015
Big mistake, the members of that council would soon know how useless OBJ is.

He would demand 3 terms when his tenure expires.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Appointed Co-chair Of Council Of World Ex-presidents. by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jun 06, 2015
lol.. let him enjoy it while it last... buhari will soon put him in prison for haliburton scam....
Re: Obasanjo Appointed Co-chair Of Council Of World Ex-presidents. by Rumpelstiltskin(m): 3:13pm On Jun 06, 2015
Ebora Owu fun ra e......smiley
Re: Obasanjo Appointed Co-chair Of Council Of World Ex-presidents. by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jun 06, 2015
Congrats Obasanjo. Baba may not be beautiful but he is great. This is a lesson to those doing 'fine boys' but got nothing to offer. Smooth face but empty brain.
Re: Obasanjo Appointed Co-chair Of Council Of World Ex-presidents. by Jboyossai(m): 3:17pm On Jun 06, 2015
No offence pls but why this man never die sef
Re: Obasanjo Appointed Co-chair Of Council Of World Ex-presidents. by Orunto: 4:34pm On Jun 06, 2015
Obj has impeccable record in the us, uk, eu etc. He is of the order of Montgomerry, Churchill, Washington, Essenhower, Degaul etc. And he is still alive hail and hearty. It is a fact that a Prophet is never recognised much among his own people. He has done his best for the Unity of Nigeria and Africa. Mandela is praying for him wherever he is. Mugabe will never forget OBJ. The Angolans accept him as true friend. And so on. God bless OBJ!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Daura President!: My Opinion. / Osun Govt. Reacts To Sen. Ben Bruce’s Donation Of Wardrobe Allowance / What Does NAIJA Mean? See What Nigerians And Westerners Are Talking About! Funny

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.