Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,605 members, 7,809,217 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road (24756 Views)

Ferrari And Lamborghini Spotted In Lagos By FreezeCoolFm (photos) / Ayo Fayose's New Official Ride (PHOTOS) 1957 Mercedes Benz 220S Sedan / Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by komekn(m): 4:35pm On Feb 27, 2008
Just a little correction i am talking about ivvie sorry for the mistake.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Teejay07(m): 5:02pm On Feb 27, 2008
@komekn

Why dont we start immediately? Let me outline the major steps we need to take:

1. Agree the final list of participants - barring any unforseen issues, these individuals will be the final set to undertake the journey

2. Set out a timeline/ activity of events that we need to undertake to make the event a reality - including an outline of responsibilities for the participants

3. Review our progress/ preparation

4. Undertake the journey

5. Review the whole process and determine learning points - especially for those that may come after us and want to undertake the same journey

Let me hear from u as soon as u are through with the initial planning. I naturally assumed that it ws all ur idea initially u would need to coordinate activities for now.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by holythug(m): 5:08pm On Feb 27, 2008
@ post . . .*swallows spit, shakes head & whistling at the same time walks out of thread*
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by komekn(m): 5:56pm On Feb 27, 2008
Teejay,
It is my idea but I'm willing for anybody to jump on board, everybody that participates takes credit, this is not an ego trip its an adventure fun trip. one thing it seems you are in Nigeria, you know its London to Lagos and not vice versa.
Thats not a problem though you can always catch a flight here first, before we drive off for Lagos.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Teejay07(m): 1:24am On Feb 28, 2008
@poster,

yes I know. Thats not a problem. I could do the outbound trip out of Nigeria by air, then return with you guys. Its only a matter of ensuring that I get visas for other countries we will be passing through on the way back to Nigeria ever before leaving home - once the route has been planned and agreed on.

I will cross that river when I get to it!!!!!!!!
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by komekn(m): 2:14pm On Feb 28, 2008
Teejay07,
All you will need is one Schengen visa and then one for Morocco/ W.Sahara Rep. after that Mauritania from then on its ECOWAS, Naija pasport go suffice.

Morocco= (Tangier- Casablanca- Agadir- Tarfaya) + W. Sahara = (Cabo bojador- Ad dakhla )+ dakhla )+ Mauritania= (Nouakchott to Bamako in Mali options are varied but eventually coming into Lagos via coast passing through Accra and then on to Togo and Benin. The first stage is settled we are open to suggestions though on the 2nd and 3rd phases.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by cybersleek(m): 2:39pm On Feb 28, 2008
To add to the discussion, driving from London to Lagos is not as difficult as it sounds, but the only problem is the expenses associated with it, i believe minus the expenses, you can do it in a week, and with any car for that matter, as long as its a sound car, and you plot ur journey properly. If i was up to it, i would have joined you as i have a lot of experience in expeditions like this one. The only snag wil be getting through borders and things, and the main problems will be in Africa, not Europe. Ewan McGregor and James Boorman did it last year with motorbikes from John O'groates in Scotland to Cape town, so i guess its all about your sense of adventure, anyway guys have fun, and enjoy yourselves, its a trip of a life time.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Teejay07(m): 7:04pm On Feb 28, 2008
@komekn,

thanks for the insight into the journey plan. I will get onto it and see all the requirements for the schengen visa. From what you have posted herein France would be my best option for a schengen visa.

I will look into this and see the way it goes. Maybe from hereon we will need to send email to each other for some of the more detailed aspect of the journey. What do u think?
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by komekn(m): 10:34pm On Feb 29, 2008
I quite agree, however, i want to see how much support and interest there is or i my the inly one with an adventurous heart.
we need somebody who really knows about fixing cars and not by trial and error guys like sienna and ivvie or any body else that can demonstrate their pedigree.
It will cost us some money you will have top get decent SUV, the way the $ is stateside seems the best option for a best value compared to Europe.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Quddy: 2:17am On Mar 01, 2008
how can I get in contact so we can go together
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by lucabrasi(m): 9:29pm On Mar 01, 2008
hey dude,i absolutely love this idea and im down with it, i have a toyota rav4 yr 2000 model and i live in manchester uk could you tell me more about it as its been my dream wont mind being a passenger as well if its not too expensive and how r bout the visa process for the countries n tha
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Bhola(f): 11:26pm On Mar 01, 2008
Thot this idea was dead. I am so ready. Lets get head count and then find out wat each person can bring to the table and start to plan from there.

We can do this, people!!!
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Teejay07(m): 5:03pm On Mar 03, 2008
@bhola,

thanks for the new spirit u brought in. Definitely, this is 'doable'. All we just need is proper planning, like I said earlier. Now lets start counting those that have indicated their willingness to undertake the journey.

So, people, COUNT ME IN!!!
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by poske(m): 3:53am On Mar 10, 2008
cheesy Yeah count me in, what about sponsors like Glo mobile and co, I think if they can produce $100k sponsorship then we cool. We can then stick to US guys SUVs to get them involved, what do you think. Hey we need to do this for ourselves and charity, u get.

Its never to late to plan, "A man who has failed to plan has planned to fail"

For the fearful undecided, if you have leaved in Nigeria then you have witnessed all the possibilities and challenges you could face shocked on this trip. Common tell me what is missing, ?

When the police ask you for your "particulars" would it not have been easier to show them one passport and go instead they will want to check if your speedometer is working grin grin
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by doe: 2:16pm On May 16, 2008
If u guys are serious about this i am in. Get we get together in a small group to organise things.

I am based in the UK.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by icemann(m): 3:55pm On May 16, 2008
u guys need a mech like sienna to help
also some touregs in the north are dangerous , esp niger. they could rob u guys.
try to get more info from a tour guide and some nigerians who have passed the route(trying to get to europe through Gibralta)
also get an arab (or some 1 fluent in arabic and hausa)
Water will be a problem during the dry season so try during the rainny season
Good luck u guys
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by erico2k2(m): 3:56pm On Jun 06, 2008
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by lawry: 12:55am On Jul 16, 2008
Mungo Park!

u can b like him

even him no make am

the arabs will cut your throat

mayb u want someone there to roast wit you in flames

remeber na uk u dey come from ok o!
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by prinnceb: 5:52pm On May 13, 2009
I know this post is old but 3 years later, I know a chap who has done this journey twice from Germany.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by tkb417(m): 6:05pm On May 13, 2009
somburry wants to die
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Nobody: 6:18pm On May 13, 2009
Lol! cheesy

Have our intrepid globetrotters been and returned yet? grin
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by ElRazur: 6:28pm On May 13, 2009
After driving to Newcastle from London, I am not so sure. I mean, air fares are sort of cheap these days. undecided
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by owopepper(m): 6:23pm On May 29, 2009
my brothers abeg make una try am jare maybe when una do am man pickin fit vex leave this naija one day and hope him go reach uk via road at least there is hope.
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by waladis(m): 6:02pm On Jun 27, 2009
owopepper:

my brothers abeg make una try am jare maybe when una do am man pickin fit vex leave this naija one day and hope him go reach uk via road at least there is hope.
doe:

If u guys are serious about this i am in. Get we get together in a small group to organise things.

I am based in the UK.
Teejay07:

@bhola,

thanks for the new spirit u brought in. Definitely, this is 'doable'. All we just need is proper planning, like I said earlier. Now lets start counting those that have indicated their willingness to undertake the journey.

So, people, COUNT ME IN!!!
lucabrasi:

hey dude,i absolutely love this idea and im down with it, i have a toyota rav4 yr 2000 model and i live in manchester uk could you tell me more about it as its been my dream wont mind being a passenger as well if its not too expensive and how r bout the visa process for the countries n tha
Quddy:

how can I get in contact so we can go together

komekn:

Teejay,
It is my idea but I'm willing for anybody to jump on board, everybody that participates takes credit, this is not an ego trip its an adventure fun trip. one thing it seems you are in Nigeria, you know its London to Lagos and not vice versa.
Thats not a problem though you can always catch a flight here first, before we drive off for Lagos.

Father, PLEEEEEEEASSE enter your childrens hearts and change their minds, for they do not know what they are talking about. cry  cry
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Emperoh(m): 9:02pm On Jun 27, 2009
WHats the nig deal?
Newton Jibunoh did this for the second time last year with Suzuki cars
So its not a big deal for another person to venture. . .i do love such adventures though! grin grin grin grin grin

TK
Why you dey fear nah?
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by waladis(m): 1:27am On Jun 28, 2009
Emperoh:

WHats the nig deal?
Newton Jibunoh did this for the second time last year with Suzuki cars
So its not a big deal for another person to venture. . .i do love such adventures though! grin grin grin grin grin

TK
Why you dey fear nah?

I know you love adventures very well, by taking part with your mouth instead of being directly involve grin. Ol'boy no encourage this guys into the lion's den o o o. And for you BRAVEHEARTS out there with this funny ideas, wey don chop bellefull well well, and con dey look BEKUN BEKUN (Stomach buster). Well,  do your research very well before you embark on this kind of journey. A scriptural mandate here is from first Thessalonians 5:21: "But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good."

And moreover, all you BRAVEHEART will be better prepared for the journey if you can take some few minutes out of your time to click and read what's on the link below.

Migrant killed by Morocco police
http://eliesmith..com/2009/01/migrant-killed-by-morocco-police.html

And that one alone is not your only problem, you will still come accross the Buzu's otherwise known as the Tuaregs some of them are hardened criminals and dessert robbers. As a blackman travelling accross any Arab land in Africa by road means you are putting your life in a very serious danger because most of this North African Arabs have lost every respect for the black African people as far back as the Trans-Sahara Slave Trade which took place hundreds of years ago in Africa, it became worse now when most black Africans used their countries as a stepping stone to Europe. Believe it or not, Spanish people are racist as well. Guys, just be sure of your facts before you start the journey. Try to get some automatic pistols and AK47, you might need them. grin grin grin  Goodluck
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by jenju(m): 1:41am On Jun 28, 2009
waladis:

Father, PLEEEEEEEASSE enter your childrens hearts and change their minds, for they do not know what they are talking about. cry cry

smiley
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Sikirulai(f): 10:40pm On Jun 29, 2009
This is the best topic I have read on the net in a while, I am still LMAO! cool

I just want to say this is a good idea and to add that a few years ago I would have done it.

A word for the wise
Get as much sponsorship as you can lay your hands on, this helps with my next point which is advert
You need to let all the countries you intend to travel thorugh know that you are coming, that way you
can call on their security forces if and when you need it. Also by visiting all the embassies before the trip you will gather as much info on the best routes and the best tour guides to use.
You definitely want to record this and you will need some state of the art equipment plus back up incase of any hitches. (various discs that you hide away, a laptop with some internet arrangements to upload your films and also to contact your sponsors) Try also contacting a few local radio or tv stations.
You definitely need to affiliate it with a charity to get the best out of the experience, Camping stuffz will not be bad although am sure you can have planned daily hotel stops which may just make journey longer but safer.
I can't think of anything else but am sure now that I have put this up some smarties will add a lot more info.
Regards
Do let us know when you leave so we can cheer your corner. You can sell the footage when it is all said and done?
Just a tot,
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Nobody: 10:46am On Jun 30, 2009
I've been following this thread for a couple of years and my interest is definitely stirring.

I'd be interested to do it in a few years though, looks fairly easy if you stick to the west coast and have enough publicity so you don't go missing in transit.

Who knows. we might just even do it!
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Nobody: 11:04am On Jun 30, 2009
It'll be interesting to see if this trip actually takes off.

It's been 3 years in the planning - and no further forward than the "talking stage."
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by Spike88(f): 12:08pm On Aug 23, 2009
Kome,

I've just 'happened' upon this thread with great interest. I know its been a long time in the making and that I think gives some credibility to the project. As they say, if I can use the analogy; marry in haste, repent at leisure. With the project packaged right a lot could be achieved and enjoyed. I would really like to talk with you on this, I'm interested in being a project member.

Give us a shout soon as you can @ Sarix02@gmail.com

Rgds
Spike
Re: Join The Ride From London To Lagos By Road by bayol2001: 11:34pm On Aug 23, 2009
cool lets ride, i justr bought my G750, all d way down to gid bruv, say 1 week, lets roll.holla me up

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

New Plate Number: How Much In Lagos? / Bus Driver Uses Screw Driver As Car Key In Lagos (Photos) / Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.