Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,512 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President (1660 Views)

Senators Pray over Saraki's Victory At The CCT (Photos) / Nigerian Troops Record Great Victory As They Clear Boko Haram Camps.graphic Pics / Tinubu Dumbfounded Over Saraki’s Victory - Daily Independent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by socialmediaman: 6:03am On Jun 10, 2015
Opinion: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory as Senate President

By participating in a coalition (or gang up) that elected Bukola Saraki as senate president, The PDP hopes to crack the APC United force and cause discontent within the APC party leadership, exactly the same fate it suffered in 2011 when Its party members rebelled and elected Aminu Tambuwal as speaker. This has nothing or little to do with the power sharing that was brokered with Saraki which saw Ekwremmadu re-emerge as deputy senate president.

For Bukola Saraki however, this is about politics and ambition! By becoming senate president, he remains a political heavyweight in Kwara state and maintains support from both within the opposition and party members, let's not forget in a hurry he was ex-Governor Amaechi's preferred candidate for the position and Kwankwaso and a host of others remain within his camp. Though he worked for the success of APC at the general elections, If he falls out with the ruling party, he would gladly be welcomed back to the PDP. if however the internal crisis within the APC party leadership is resolved, then he will forge ahead his ambition in high places.

For the PDP as a party, it is yet unclear how this move would favor them politically as Saraki would likely tilt towards the policies of his party members than the opposition, being that the PDP is still the minority in the house, but it looks like the PDP has positioned itself on a spot to become politically relevant at high places. At the grassroots however, The PDP remains dead as Nigerians generally would resent any attempt to bring it back to power especially with the same crux of old politicians managing its affairs and a host of others who would likely resurface if the party gets back in charge.

Fingers crossed, we look forward to fruitful days ahead for Nigerians and I personally wish President Muhammadu Buhari success and Godspeed in delivering his mandate and campaign promises to Nigerians.

God Bless Nigeria.

- SocialMediaMan

3 Likes

Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by Nobody: 6:16am On Jun 10, 2015
You are right in your analysis. Though unlike you, I dont hate the emergence of Ekweremadu....rather, I rejoice in the failure of Tinubu to own Nigeria
Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by socialmediaman: 6:25am On Jun 10, 2015
Nemeka:
You are right in your analysis. Though unlike you, I dont hate the emergence of Ekweremadu....rather, I rejoice in the failure of Tinubu to own Nigeria

I don't hate Ekwremmadu's emergence as long as he isn't the senate president. Why I personally want the APC in charge of the assembly is because I don't want any excuses or anything that would delay the Government from making a speedy delivery of its campaign promises, sort of what Obama has been facing in the hands of republicans in the U.S.

I mentioned Ekweremmadu because some people may think the power sharing deal may be the major reason PDP supported Saraki

1 Like

Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by Orunto: 7:14am On Jun 10, 2015
Saraki's victory is victory for Democracy. God's Design. Goodluck must be smiling now.
Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by 1shortblackboy: 7:18am On Jun 10, 2015
Nigerians- always more intersted in the. Politics than good governance
Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by Nobody: 7:20am On Jun 10, 2015
Smiling like he's still relevant

Orunto:
Saraki's victory is victory for Democracy. God's Design. Goodluck must be smiling now.
Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by Nobody: 7:21am On Jun 10, 2015
Gbam! You nailed it bro.

1shortblackboy:
Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by Shuaibu4real(m): 7:25am On Jun 10, 2015
socialmediaman:
Opinion: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory as Senate President

By participating in a coalition (or gang up) that elected Bukola Saraki as senate president, The PDP hopes to crack the APC United force and cause discontent within the APC party leadership, exactly the same fate it suffered in 2011 when Its party members rebelled and elected Aminu Tambuwal as speaker. This has nothing or little to do with the power sharing that was brokered with Saraki which saw Ekwremmadu re-emerge as deputy senate president.

For Bukola Saraki however, this is about politics and ambition! By becoming senate president, he remains a political heavyweight in Kwara state and maintains support from both within the opposition and party members, let's not forget in a hurry he was ex-Governor Amaechi's preferred candidate for the position and Kwankwaso and a host of others remain within his camp. Though he worked for the success of APC at the general elections, If he falls out with the ruling party, he would gladly be welcomed back to the PDP. if however the internal crisis within the APC party leadership is resolved, then he will forge ahead his ambition in high places.

For the PDP as a party, it is yet unclear how this move would favor them politically as Saraki would likely tilt towards the policies of his party members than the opposition, being that the PDP is still the minority in the house, but it looks like the PDP has positioned itself on a spot to become politically relevant at high places. At the grassroots however, The PDP remains dead as Nigerians generally would resent any attempt to bring it back to power especially with the same crux of old politicians managing its affairs and a host of others who would likely resurface if the party gets back in charge.

Fingers crossed, we look forward to fruitful days ahead for Nigerians and I personally wish President Muhammadu Buhari success and Godspeed in delivering his mandate and campaign promises to Nigerians.

God Bless Nigeria.

- SocialMediaMan
Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by Nobody: 7:27am On Jun 10, 2015
PDP showed APC how to play ball.

If APC had their house in order there is no way the PDP could clutched the deputy position.

For 16 yrs of PDP dominance not once did we have a duly elected legislator from another party get elected inany of these offices.

The case of Dogara is even more disturbing as it was clear that PDP reps voted en-bloc for Dogara to further divide the APC.
Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by Caseless: 7:28am On Jun 10, 2015
PDP betrayed Jonathan!
Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by socialmediaman: 7:35am On Jun 10, 2015
1shortblackboy:

Not exactly, the politics is important in forseeing its outcome towards good governance. We can already predict whether the election will result is slow passage of bills necessary for development or not. For instance, president Buhari is interested in passing bills relating to whistle-blowing and corruption, and perhaps unemployment and industry related bills on electricity and oil sector etc, a divided house will definitely stall his efforts.
Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by Nobody: 7:44am On Jun 10, 2015
RevDesmondJuju:
PDP showed APC how to play ball.

If APC had their house in order there is no way the PDP could clutched the deputy position.

For 16 yrs of PDP dominance not once did we have a duly elected legislator from another party get elected inany of these offices.

The case of Dogara is even more disturbing as it was clear that PDP reps voted en-bloc for Dogara to further divide the APC.
it has nothing to do with APC's house not in order.

There are many political heavyweights in APC. There is a Tinubu camp and the N-PDP camp. The N-PDP camp feels the Tinubu camp is taking all the juicy positions and they are left with nothing. Why do you think Amaechi,Tambuwal,Atiku and even Kwankwaso supported Saraki's candidacy?

It is rather a battle of supremacy and I think the N-PDP are getting the upper hand and they will always run to PDP for help when the need arises.
Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by DropShot: 7:47am On Jun 10, 2015
Your analysis is spot-on. Tinubu failed to know that there is nothing like absolute power when it comes especially to national politics and more especially when the president kept telling the whole world he had no preference among the candidates. The president's position emboldened the other candidates to forge ahead with their ambition.

If APC fails to accept Saraki and Dogara, the party's future is bleak.

I can't be too concerned about the,politics of APC/PDP as long as PMB delivers on his change promise.
Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by Olofintoto(m): 7:51am On Jun 10, 2015
Good comment.
JackBaueress1:
it has nothing to do with APC's house not in order.

There are many political heavyweights in APC. There is a Tinubu camp and the N-PDP camp. The N-PDP camp feels the Tinubu camp is taking all the juicy positions and they are left with nothing. Why do you think Amaechi,Tambuwal,Atiku and even Kwankwaso supported Saraki's candidacy?

It is rather a battle of supremacy and I think the N-PDP are getting the upper hand and they will always run to PDP for help when the need arises.
Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by greggles: 8:12am On Jun 10, 2015
DropShot:
I can't be too concerned about the,politics of APC/PDP as long as PMB delivers on his change promise.

You just said my mind
Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by socialmediaman: 8:17am On Jun 10, 2015
Lalasticlala, Ishilove, mods
Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by Nobody: 8:38am On Jun 10, 2015
RevDesmondJuju:

[size=18pt]APC Should Be Grateful To Saraki[/size]
Normally, where a clear majority exists, the majority party produces the leadership of the house.

If all APC members where present in the house, Lawan and Saraki would have both stood up to contest just as what transpired in the House of Reps.

You can bet at this very point David Mark would have stood up to contest as well.

This will lead to APC votes being split between Saraki and Lawan with David Mark carting off all PDP votes and emerging a clear winner.

So all you janjawiid tadpoles crying for Tinubu should at least appreciate Sariki's effort at securing the President of the Senate for your party or else PDP mathematics where the minority is always greater than the majority would have played out again.
Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by DropShot: 8:41am On Jun 10, 2015
greggles:

You just said my mind
If we're not politicians, our concern should only be about good governance and not who holds what position.
Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by greggles: 8:46am On Jun 10, 2015
DropShot:

If we're not politicians, our concern should only be about good governance and not who holds what position.

Yes, my concern is my business and prosperity in Nigeria generally. We need dividends of democracy badly. Can't wait to see the day Nigerians will be able to obtain business loans, study loans etc like it is done in other countries, without being asked to bring collateral. Our social security services should be working, this country badly needs restoration so internal politics is not my concern as long as it brings development
Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by Nobody: 8:48am On Jun 10, 2015
DropShot:

Well your Buhari rode the dragon's back to power.

Politics is intertwined with governance.

Buhari's political brokers are corrupt and selfish and you can bet they will one way or the other influence his government.
Re: Why The PDP Celebrated Saraki's Victory As Senate President by socialmediaman: 9:20am On Jun 10, 2015
RevDesmondJuju:

Well your Buhari rode the dragon's back to power.

Politics is intertwined with governance.

Buhari's political brokers are corrupt and selfish and you can bet they will one way or the other influence his government.

I think we should also play mature politics. The worst thing that happens to a party is when members support the government ahead of public interest. Whichever government is in power, it's supporters should focus on making sure the party delivers its promises so as to satisfy the general interest and make them remain relevant politically

(1) (Reply)

Vacancy For Vice Chancellor In Federal University Dutsin-ma Katsina / BIAFRA: Brief Interview Granted To The Vice President EU Free Alliance / Appeal Court Gives EFCC Nod To Investigate N1.8bn Subsidy Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.