Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,801 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules (14180 Views)

Flashback: What Commissioner Of Police Joseph Mbu Did To Amaechi Under Jonathan / Pulling Out Ceremony Of Joseph Mbu, Retired AIG / Ministerial Confirmation: No Court Injunction Stopping Amaechi’s Screening – APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by Obascoetubi: 7:45am On Jun 11, 2015
Justice Ibrahim Buba of a Federal High Court in Lagos on Tuesday dismissed a suit seeking to fire Assistant Inspector General of Police, Joseph Mbu, over his alleged abuse of power.

In his ruling, Mr. Buba said no court in Nigeria could declare the office of a police officer of the rank of AIG vacant, saying that such action was the responsibility of the Nigeria Police.

“If any threat is made against any person, it is the duty of the police to investigate and punish the officer who made it accordingly, even if it is an AIG.
“No court in Nigeria can declare the office of such officer vacant; it is the duty of the police,“ he said.
Mr. Buba said that the case of the plaintiff had no merit and was therefore dismissed.

In the substantive suit numbered FHC/L/CS/149/15, the plaintiff, Tope Alabi, a lawyer, sought a declaration that the first defendant, Mr. Mbu, “is unfit to be a police officer in Nigeria.”

Mr. Alabi hinged his prayers before the court on an alleged statement by Mbu, in which he threatened to kill 20 civilians in place of a murdered policeman during the April general elections.

The plaintiff had asked the court to direct relevant police authorities to declare Mr. Mbu’s office vacant and replace him, without further delay.

The second to fourth defendants were the then Inspector General of Police, Suleiman Abba, the Police Service Commission and the then Attorney General of the Federation, Mohammed Adoke.

Mr. Alabi had said that Mr. Mbu, as a senior police officer, swore to uphold the rule of law and abide by the constitution, but instead, behaved as if he was above the law.

The Counsel to the Applicant, Femi Falana, had in his originating summons, urged the court to grant the prayers sought by his client.

But Mr. Mbu, who is in charge of Zone 2, comprising Lagos and Ogun States, in his counter-affidavit, denied ordering the police to kill civilians in place of any policeman killed during the elections.

The counter-affidavit was deposed to on Mr. Mbu’s behalf by a policeman, Olugbemiga Adeoye.

Mr. Mbu denied ever making the alleged statement, and added that he only ordered that any policeman shot by any person could shoot back in self-defence.

Mr. Mbu averred that the newspaper publication containing the said allegation was “completely false, exaggerated, twisted and totally quoted out of context.”

Mr. Adeoye said he was at the briefing where Mbu made the alleged statement.

Mr. Adeoye noted that to the contrary, “the true position is that during the official tour and briefing of police officers at Lagos and Ogun State Commands, Mbu directed every police officer to be law-
abiding.

“Mbu urged us to work hard and wake up to our constitutional/statutory duties, and that we must respect every citizen’s rights in the course of the performance of our duties.

“He advised us that any policeman shot by any person could shoot back in self-defence.”
The Legal Officer-in-Charge of Zone 2 Police Command, Chukwu Agu, urged the court to dismiss the suit with substantial cost.

Mr. Agu, further urged the court, not to rely on newspaper publications tendered as exhibit because they contained unverifiable and uncertified facts. (NAN)

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/184746-no-court-can-sack-aig-mbu-judge-rules.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by Nobody: 7:54am On Jun 11, 2015
Haba

A court can always issue an order mandamus compelling the police service commission to dismiss an officer who goes against the service rules.

Just as the court can order the Police service conmission to reinstate an officer who was sacked unduly from the force.

The court interpretes the laws...and what matters here is what the police ethic laws says is the punishment for gross misconduct.

This also applies to the powers of the court to dismiss a Student from a university for violating the ethics, codes and conduct if the student disciplinary council fails to act.

However, if the court wants to be mild about it, it can compel the Police Service Commission to set up an investigation panel that will come up on with it's stance before any high court may revisit the findings.

Some judges do not spend quality time in writing judgments...maybe they also don't read hand written materials sha

21 Likes

Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by Kennywills7(m): 7:57am On Jun 11, 2015
I know many people are patiently waiting for d downfall of dis man but it seem he has nine lives
The man dat made river state looks like hell for amaechi

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by nnanyereugo(m): 8:05am On Jun 11, 2015
Mbu in d news again

1 Like

Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by rawtouch: 8:29am On Jun 11, 2015
The position of a policeman/woman cannot be declared vacant cos its not a political position...

SMH at the kind of lawyer who filed for such the case was already DOA

3 Likes

Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by mustydeen(m): 9:11am On Jun 11, 2015
Is eventual sack wuld soon catch up with me undecided

How Nigerians forget things so easily, It was these same Man that Made the men Black look more than mere stooges angry with respect to the part he played in Rivers State crisis angry

If it were other climes, he would have resigned.. But iror o.. Here in Naija, you can get away with anything.. Even when the people cry foul, they would act like they dont care.. They actually dont care about public image undecided... Dey never Had one b4 sef..

My own palava jare.. Check out www.africanwatch.net for lastest international Scholarships for Nigerians, and keep tabs with latest happenings in Africa
Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by makzeze: 9:11am On Jun 11, 2015
Hurray, FTC.

I dedicate this space to my president Buhari
VP osinbajo
Senate President Saraki
Dep Sen Pres, Ikweraamdu
Speaker Dogara
Deputy Speaker Lasun
and SGF Jidda.

2 Likes

Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by DjHypno(m): 9:12am On Jun 11, 2015
K
Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by makzeze: 9:12am On Jun 11, 2015
mustydeen:
k
L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z grin grin
Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by trigar12(m): 9:12am On Jun 11, 2015
This troublesome dude grin

1 Like

Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by adonbilivit: 9:12am On Jun 11, 2015
enroute supreme court. more cake for the lawyers handling the case
Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by Nobody: 9:13am On Jun 11, 2015
Ok.
Check My signature!
Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by KinkyAngela(f): 9:13am On Jun 11, 2015
What is Mbu? Sounds like the name of a fake product manufactured at Aba

5 Likes

Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by kazmanbanjoko(m): 9:13am On Jun 11, 2015
Ok

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by GraceInUSA: 9:14am On Jun 11, 2015
contact 07034804404; 08071456563 for AAU past questions in PDF.
Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by sirugos(m): 9:14am On Jun 11, 2015
Like Mbu like Fayose they are unimpeachable. Mbu my mentor fayose my daddy in the lord

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by globalresource: 9:15am On Jun 11, 2015
sirugos:
Like Mbu like Fayose they are unimpeachable. Mbu my mentor fayose my daddy in the lord

it is well with you and your future considering your destiny mentors

3 Likes

Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by kazmanbanjoko(m): 9:15am On Jun 11, 2015
mustydeen:
k
k for "killer"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by Nobody: 9:16am On Jun 11, 2015
The Counsel to the Applicant, [size=15pt]Femi Falana[/size], had in his originating summons, urged the court to grant the prayers sought by his client.
This man and APC dirty jobs

5 Likes

Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by KingsleyCEO: 9:16am On Jun 11, 2015
No matter how you try, you can't pull down a man elevated by God. We need more of Mbu in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by Skoopy(m): 9:17am On Jun 11, 2015
The president can, only by pulling a few strings.
Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by blesoh(f): 9:17am On Jun 11, 2015
This man is strong.
Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by hardywaltz(m): 9:18am On Jun 11, 2015
Sack the clown Mbu J Mbu
Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by wunmi590(m): 9:18am On Jun 11, 2015
Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by miqos02(m): 9:18am On Jun 11, 2015
seen
Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by blesoh(f): 9:19am On Jun 11, 2015
sirugos:
this got me rolling. @ Fayose my daddy in the Lord.

1 Like

Re: No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules by dotna(m): 9:20am On Jun 11, 2015
The power of the Court should be upheld

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sule Lamido Pictured With His Sons & Grandchildren / Allocations In 2017 Budget Lopsided – Clark / Ali Ndume Denies Slapping Bukar Daja-Ali, Lawmaker In Borno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.