Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,761 members, 7,820,650 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Re:american Visa Interview - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Re:american Visa Interview (2264 Views)

Visa Interview Date With The American Embassy, Any Advice? / Guys Share Ur Us Visa Interview Here / American Visa Lottery (dv- 2009) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re:american Visa Interview by stev872: 9:07pm On Feb 21, 2009
Can anyone advice me on F1 visa applicant procedure and likely interview questios
Re: Re:american Visa Interview by Omonla(f): 9:39pm On Feb 21, 2009
stev872:

Can anyone advice me on F1 visa applicant procedure and likely interview questios

Proof of ties to your home country. That is the central question. What do you have in your country of origin that will undoubtedly make you return once you are done with school?

- If you are married, and your spouse will remain in the country of origin, that is one good tie. Children, that are enrolled in school.
- A house/property with title deed.
- A job in your home country, with letter from the employer that you will return upon completion of studies (even better if the employer is the one sponsoring the travel).
- Bank account(s) with substantial funds - Preferably not 'fluffed up" within the last few months, but contains a steady inflow of money, historically - Could be your sponsor's account
- A sponsor who is financially viable enough to pay for the entire course of study
- Your age - If you are older than mid twenties, don't apply for a bachelor's program abroad
- Your past education - Do you have a similar degree already? Then there is no logic in applying for the same type of program abroad
- A different degree: If you are going for a more advanced degree program than the one you already have, you must be able to tell the Consulate how this advanced degree will benefit the qualifications you already have.

These are some basic questions and answers you should be prepared for.
Re: Re:american Visa Interview by stev872: 9:46pm On Feb 21, 2009
Thanks for your response. How about a student from Nigeria. What documents are required
Re: Re:american Visa Interview by Omonla(f): 10:29pm On Feb 21, 2009
stev872:

Thanks for your response. How about a student from Nigeria. What documents are required

- You will need your transcripts/diploma from the school(s) you previously attended
- Your test scores - TOEFL, GMAT or GRE, or LSAT (depending on the program you are going for - But TOEFL is required for all)
- Proof of financial support - Your parents, or whoever is sponsoring you, would need to provide their bank statement/reliable financial sources. Means that they should have jobs/businesses that experience steady flow of income which can support a dependent abroad, and themselves, wherever they live
- Form 1-134: Affidavit of support to be completed by your sponsor. Get it from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security website
- Obviously, your Form I-20, provided by the school where you plan to study
- Proof of relationship to your sponsors. If they are your parents, your birth certificate would be required to prove it.
- Proof that you will return home after your studies. This is the tricky part for young students who have no property/ties to their home. However, your demeanor, confidence, and how 'non-desperate' you are during the interview, would go a long way in the Officer not writing you off. If you can confidently discuss why you want to go for that degree, how it will benefit your future career, your plans to return home and set up a business/join a home company etc, this would help.
Re: Re:american Visa Interview by cvibe: 10:31pm On Feb 21, 2009
Re: Re:american Visa Interview by stev872: 10:41pm On Feb 21, 2009
Thanks Omonla

To be honest am really scared as i just got my I-20, My friend was at Abuja embassy Jnauray and he was denied visa by the consular officer and thats has got me really depressed.
Re: Re:american Visa Interview by Omonla(f): 10:51pm On Feb 21, 2009
stev872:

Thanks Omonla

To be honest am really scared as i just got my I-20, My friend was at Abuja embassy Jnauray and he was denied visa by the consular officer and thats has got me really depressed.

Do you know the reason why he was denied? You can learn from his experience, so that you don't make the same error.
Re: Re:american Visa Interview by stev872: 10:59pm On Feb 21, 2009
yeah i think he stutter when was being interview and the woman told him he is not ready
Re: Re:american Visa Interview by elctroguru(m): 11:06pm On Feb 21, 2009
dude, i dont think thats d reason, jus go and see wat will happen. They hardly give F1 to Young Nigerians esp undergraduate unless u av a good Travel History, for example maybe u've been to Canada, Uk or other Eu countries. Then I guess u'll av greater chance. If not, am afraid dey might ,
Re: Re:american Visa Interview by stev872: 11:13pm On Feb 21, 2009
three of my friends got it and they all had fresh passports

(1) (Reply)

Come And Experience Us At Miccom Golf Hotels And Resort This Easter / Celebrity Studded Nigerian Reunion On The Island Of St Thomas, Usa / Truck Crushes A Guy To Death In Abakaliki (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.