Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,199 members, 7,818,666 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? (5660 Views)

What The Bible says about alcohol / Honouring Your Parents Wish To Commit Sin As A Child Of God / Is It A Sin To Style A Haircut? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jun 26, 2015
true2god:
Jw and their loyalty to the watchtower is their greatest mistakes. Most JWs do not read their bible indepedently, but rely on 'reasoning with the scripture' and 'what the bible really teaches' booklets for guidance. That makes an average JW whole dependent on the governing body in their day-to-day spiritual activities.

What goes wrong on a birthday could have equally gone wrong on a wedding day. I have heard of people poisoned with food on a wedding day. I have heard of people had accident on their way to a funeral. Does that make wedding ceremony or funeral procession bad? No.

For the fact that many events were not recorded in the bible does not mean they never happened. Even in the old days of biblical events many things such as deaths during wedding could have occured without the bible scribes including them in the bible.

So using isolated events to standardize a doctrines, just as JWs do, is wrong. As someone earlier said, Paul said if eating meat will make people sin he will not eat meat. That is his personal conviction and not a law.

If JW believe that celebrating birthdays will make them sinners hence refuse to celebrate it, that is good. However it will be wrong to canonize such laws in an organized setting as a religious or spiritual law that must not be violated.

The bold makes u a professional liar.
Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by Emusan(m): 11:51pm On Jun 26, 2015
JMAN05:
So weaning party is now a birthday celebration. You are best left with ur error.

On which DAY did Isaac wean?
Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by Emusan(m): 11:52pm On Jun 26, 2015
JMAN05:

Like Watchtower Society
Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by true2god: 7:32am On Jun 27, 2015
JMAN05:

You are funny bro. I have studied with JW for over ten years and come to the conclusion that they are one of the most smartest liars on earth. Most JW publishers are ignorants of the fact that over 40% of their doctrines, from the time of russel to the time of rutherdoff till date, have either been jettisoned or modified. And when you guys are challenged about these changes all you all chorusly tell gullible people is that the 'light is getting brighter'. If you cannot see this clause 'the light is getting brighter' as a technical way of lying then you have problem.

Someone asked you a question and let me repeat that question. Can you tell me if the old JWs who celebrated their birthdays, like your founder Russel, will resurrect after armageddon or not? Yes or no. Remember, most of your AWAKE and WATCHTOWER magazine call your GB God anointed servants of earth.

And as you know, JW will continue changing doctrines and beliefs as long as the light keep getting brighter. If by tomorrow the watchtower tell you that there is nothing wrong in celebrating birthday, will you quit the organization?
Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by true2god: 7:43am On Jun 27, 2015
JMAN05:

Another thread will do. A bible principle condemned it.
The question was asked, 'Is there any place birthday is written in bible?' and I asked you if there is any place abortion was written in the bible.

Abortion is morally wrong and thats a fact but someone can equally justify the act by asking you to show him where it was condemned, verbatically, as a sin. So since birthday was not also specifically named in the bible does not mean that it was not celebrated at all. There is no any Jewish scripture that condemned birthday or said birthday was a pagan origin. Non.

I asked you a question, does JW take alcohol? Are there biblical instances where alcohol led to great sins hence some generations were cursed?
Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by Nobody: 8:27am On Jun 27, 2015
true2god:
The question was asked, 'Is there any place birthday is written in bible?' and I asked you if there is any place abortion was written in the bible.

Abortion is morally wrong and thats a fact but someone can equally justify the act by asking you to show him where it was condemned, verbatically, as a sin. So since birthday was not also specifically named in the bible does not mean that it was not celebrated at all. There is no any Jewish scripture that condemned birthday or said birthday was a pagan origin. Non.

I asked you a question, does JW take alcohol? Are there biblical instances where alcohol led to great sins hence some generations were cursed?

Someone ask for a verbatim condemnation is still a babe, since xtianity deals more with principles.

Don't u think that since the bible shows only pagans as celebrating it is a bad sign for us?

Secondly, abortion was condemned by a bible principle, and including alcoholism. However, known encouraged birthdays. Does that not convince u?
Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by Nobody: 8:40am On Jun 27, 2015
true2god:
You are funny bro. I have studied with JW for over ten years and come to the conclusion that they are one of the most smartest liars on earth. Most JW publishers are ignorants of the fact that over 40% of their doctrines, from the time of russel to the time of rutherdoff till date, have either been jettisoned or modified. And when you guys are challenged about these changes all you all chorusly tell gullible people is that the 'light is getting brighter'. If you cannot see this clause 'the light is getting brighter' as a technical way of lying then you have problem.

Someone asked you a question and let me repeat that question. Can you tell me if the old JWs who celebrated their birthdays, like your founder Russel, will resurrect after armageddon or not? Yes or no. Remember, most of your AWAKE and WATCHTOWER magazine call your GB God anointed servants of earth.

And as you know, JW will continue changing doctrines and beliefs as long as the light keep getting brighter. If by tomorrow the watchtower tell you that there is nothing wrong in celebrating birthday, will you quit the organization?

Can u also tell me whether Moses who lived by the law will be raised, since true xtians in the first century never lived by it?

Can u tell me also whether James who died believing that uncircumcised gentiles are not accepted by God, will be raised since latter that belief was jettisoned?

The law of God was lost for years, yet God never charged Josiah's possible sins on him. Why? Because when he discovered more of Gods requirements he was humble to change. That is the spirit God needs. Read 2kings 22:18-20.

I have done a personal research in this issue, and some of my conclusion is that what God needs is someone who loves the truth. Such one is ready to seek for the truth and stand by what he finds out , he can also change when he sees he was in the wrong. Jah does not vare whether u ve gotten all the truth. But show u love the truth, by searching for it, making changes were necessary, and apply what u found out.

If those men are raised up now, and they are told that God has reviewed the better understanding as against what they believed then, they would change cos they know that they ll get all the truth when the 'day is firmly established'. Prov 4:18.

So, since they are humbly and sincerely seeking the truth, Jehovah won't ignore them.

Madam, u are from assemblies of God shey? And u know u people uttered a false prophesy before right?
Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by true2god: 9:44am On Jun 27, 2015
JMAN05:

Can u also tell me whether Moses who lived by the law will be raised, since true xtians in the first century never lived by it?

Can u tell me also whether James who died believing that uncircumcised gentiles are not accepted by God, will be raised since latter that belief was jettisoned?

Can u tell me if those who lived before Jah's law was found by Hilkiah will be saved?

I have done a personal research in this issue, and some of my conclusion is that what God needs is someone who loves the truth. Such one is ready to seek for the truth and stand by what he finds out , he can also change when he sees he was in the wrong. Jah does not vare whether u ve gotten all the truth. But show u love the truth, by searching for it, making changes were necessary, and apply what u found out.

If those men are raised up now, and they are told that God has reviewed the better understanding as against what they believed then, they would change cos they know that they ll get all the truth when the 'day is firmly established'. Prov 4:18.

So, since they are humbly and sincerely seeking the truth, Jehovah won't ignore them.

Madam, u are from assemblies of God shey? And u know u people uttered a false prophesy before right?
I am a man, please dont address me as Madam. I mean no offence to my sisters.

If I get you right, the fact that Russel, JW founder, celebrated birthday is insignificant because he didnt know the truth then. Is that your conclusion? What gives you the impression that the current JW leaders are telling you the truth if they can deny most of their past beliefs and teachings?

Yes I am assemblies of God and we do not say that Jesus started his reign as a king in 1914 and neither did we say that prophets of old will come back to earth in 1925, know by the JW as berth-sarim. We do not also teach that some of the generations that saw 1914 will be alive to witness armageddon. Assemblies of God church did not teach that 1984 will mark the end of gentiles, that is 70 years span bw 1914 and 1984 (Watchtower edition, You can live forever in paradise earth. Go and read the old edition).

All the above are taught by JW and not assemblies of God while some have been jettisoned as false (by the same JW), 1914 is still retained as truth. Can you see JW lies and dellusions in full display. If you are a muslim I would have called you an altaqiyya artiste.

1 Like

Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by Nobody: 9:59am On Jun 27, 2015
true2god:
I am a man, please dont address me as Madam. I mean no offence to my sisters.

If I get you right, the fact that Russel, JW founder, celebrated birthday is insignificant because he didnt know the truth then. Is that your conclusion? What gives you the impression that the current JW leaders are telling you the truth if they can deny most of their past beliefs and teachings?

Yes I am assemblies of God and we do not say that Jesus started his reign as a king in 1914 and neither did we say that prophets of old will come back to earth in 1925, know by the JW as berth-sarim. We do not also teach that some of the generations that saw 1914 will be alive to witness armageddon. Assemblies of God church did not teach that 1984 will mark the end of gentiles, that is 70 years span bw 1914 and 1984 (Watchtower edition, You can live forever in paradise earth. Go and read the old edition).

All the above are taught by JW and not assemblies of God while some have been jettisoned as false (by the same JW), 1914 is still retained as truth. Can you see JW lies and dellusions in full display. If you are a muslim I would have called you an altaqiyya artiste.

Which of the gov body member ever rejected that we ve made changes in those beliefs?

We do not claim inspiration.

I have given u an undeniable answer about Russell. So it is fine for inspired prophets in ur Church to utter the following:

"During World War I, The Weekly Evangel, an official publication of the Assemblies of God, carried this prediction: "We are not yet in the Armageddon struggle proper, but at its commencement, and it may be, if students of prophecy read the signs aright, that Christ will come before the present war closes, and before Armageddon...The war preliminary to Armageddon, it seems, has commenced."[7] Other editions speculated that the end would come no later than 1934 or 1935.
Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by paulGrundy(m): 10:09am On Jun 27, 2015
JMAN05:

Are you new member of Jehovahs witnesses?

"However, we cannot hope to acquire a good relationship with Jehovah if we ignore those whom Jesus has appointed to care for his belongings. Without the assistance of “the faithful and discreet slave,” we would neither understand the full import of what we read in God’s Word nor know how to apply it." Examining the Scriptures Daily 2012 Mar 4

"The point is that Christians have implicit trust in their heavenly Father; they do not question what he tells them through his written Word and organization." Watchtower 1974 July 15 p.441

Ever wondered why the NWT is the only bible translation that JW's use in studing.
Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by true2god: 11:50am On Jun 27, 2015
JMAN05:

Which of the gov body member ever rejected that we ve made changes in those beliefs?

We do not claim inspiration.

I have given u an undeniable answer about Russell. So it is fine for inspired prophets in ur Church to utter the following:

"During World War I, The Weekly Evangel, an official publication of the Assemblies of God, carried this prediction: "We are not yet in the Armageddon struggle proper, but at its commencement, and it may be, if students of prophecy read the signs aright, that Christ will come before the present war closes, and before Armageddon...The war preliminary to Armageddon, it seems, has commenced."[7] Other editions speculated that the end would come no later than 1934 or 1935.
You are either lying or ignorant of your doctrine\history. JW trade mark teachings centre around Christ's presence and enthronment since 1914. In fact the current JW theology is focused on the mythical 1914 which has no basis in the bible but is being promoted by the watchtower and members are being brainwashed to belief this fallasy as 'bible truth'.

Besides 1914, other dates were also promoted (1918, 1925, 1975 and 1984) which were later discarded but 1914 is maintained as a central teachings of JW's God's kingdom and christ's 'presense' on earth. Money and time had been invested in 1914 lyings hence no going back as this could make the watchtower lose more integrity before observant people like us.

In addition to setting fictituos dates, some teachings with respect to the holy spirit has been changed, from the Spirit of God to God's active and inanimate force or God's energy. Which are all false.

Besides, JW teaches that there is life after death before but now it has been invalidated. The JW also taught that members should not vote, but now they are confused as to whether they should vote or note. The list is too long to list. That's inconsistency on the part of the JWs.

And you know, you cannot question whatever you are taught in your organization, as bible taught, without being shunned or disfellowshipped for apostasy.
Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jun 29, 2015
true2god:
You are either lying or ignorant of your doctrine\history. JW trade mark teachings centre around Christ's presence and enthronment since 1914. In fact the current JW theology is focused on the mythical 1914 which has no basis in the bible but is being promoted by the watchtower and members are being brainwashed to belief this fallasy as 'bible truth'.

Besides 1914, other dates were also promoted (1918, 1925, 1975 and 1984) which were later discarded but 1914 is maintained as a central teachings of JW's God's kingdom and christ's 'presense' on earth. Money and time had been invested in 1914 lyings hence no going back as this could make the watchtower lose more integrity before observant people like us.

In addition to setting fictituos dates, some teachings with respect to the holy spirit has been changed, from the Spirit of God to God's active and inanimate force or God's energy. Which are all false.

Besides, JW teaches that there is life after death before but now it has been invalidated. The JW also taught that members should not vote, but now they are confused as to whether they should vote or note. The list is too long to list. That's inconsistency on the part of the JWs.

And you know, you cannot question whatever you are taught in your organization, as bible taught, without being shunned or disfellowshipped for apostasy.

Hey hey, are u sure u are not a woman? What's wrong with ur anger.

The above was not the question, I repeat, So it is fine for inspired prophets in ur Church to utter the following?

Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by true2god: 1:49pm On Jun 29, 2015
JMAN05:

Hey hey, are u sure u are not a woman? What's wrong with ur anger.

The above was not the question, I repeat, So it is fine for inspired prophets in ur Church to utter the following?

I dont understand why you are whinning and I wonder what my gender has to do with our discussion. If, at anytime, the assemblies of God taught about armagedon or even set a date, that means they are wrong.

I am very sure that you know that the current assemblies of God doctrine got nothing to do with any of the dates you stated. And I am very sure that JW still maintain a fictitoud and false date, 1914, as the cornerstone of their doctrine (having discarded other dates they predicted).

Is 1914 still date date christ started his 'heavenly governmnet', as taught by the watchtower? If JW had discarded other dates as false, why did they still hold onto 1914 knowing fully that they are lying?
Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jun 29, 2015
true2god:
I dont understand why you are whinning and I wonder what my gender has to do with our discussion. If, at anytime, the assemblies of God taught about armagedon or even set a date, that means they are wrong.

I am very sure that you know that the current assemblies of God doctrine got nothing to do with any of the dates you stated. And I am very sure that JW still maintain a fictitoud and false date, 1914, as the cornerstone of their doctrine (having discarded other dates they predicted).

Is 1914 still date date christ started his 'heavenly governmnet', as taught by the watchtower? If JW had discarded other dates as false, why did they still hold onto 1914 knowing fully that they are lying?

And you think we ve not admitted that some of our predictions were wrong? The main issue here is that u guys claim inspiration, which is highly significant. Who then inspired that prediction?

We had a calculation that led us to 1914, tell me what's wrong with the calculation, maybe we can accept it as wrong:

Link: http://m.wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102005159

Waiting...
Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by true2god: 6:27pm On Jun 29, 2015
JMAN05:

And you think we ve not admitted that some of our predictions were wrong? The main issue here is that u guys claim inspiration, which is highly significant. Who then inspired that prediction?

We had a calculation that led us to 1914, tell me what's wrong with the calculation, maybe we can accept it as wrong:

Link: http://m.wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102005159

Waiting...
It was the same calculations tied to the dates you guys have discarded that tied your current 1914. If you have discarded other dates you predicted, as false, why are you still hodling unto the 1914 prediction? Are you waiting for the GB's new light to take a decision?

I am sure if watchtower tells you that 1914 is a fallasy who will change your mind but if I tell you that 1914 calculation is a lie you wont. Are you following the bible or the watchtower?
Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jun 29, 2015
true2god:
It was the same calculations tied to the dates you guys have discarded that tied your current 1914. If you have discarded other dates you predicted, as false, why are you still hodling unto the 1914 prediction? Are you waiting for the GB's new light to take a decision?

How is that calculation tie those other dates? How does it correlate?

I am sure if watchtower tells you that 1914 is a fallasy who will change your mind but if I tell you that 1914 calculation is a lie you wont. Are you following the bible or the watchtower?[/quote]
Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jun 29, 2015
true2god:

How is that calculation tie those other dates? How does it correlate?

I am sure if watchtower tells you that 1914 is a fallasy who will change your mind but if I tell you that 1914 calculation is a lie you wont. Are you following the bible or the watchtower?

They won't say so without good reasons. So Oga give us good reasons why the chronology is wrong.
Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by paulGrundy(m): 11:15pm On Jun 29, 2015
true2god:
If you are a muslim I would have called you an altaqiyya artiste.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by rottennaija(m): 10:02pm On Jul 09, 2016
Esdb3:
Jehovah witness members believe that birthdays are sinful celebrations and that day should not be marked simply because those that celebrated it in the bible were unbelievers.

To the above I say a big NO. Just because some people celebrated their birthdays the wrong way, christians should not. For one, if unbelievers can mark the day they become a year older, how much more we who are superior to them.

Secondly, if JWs don't want to celebrate birthdays because gentiles celebrated it wrongly in the bible, then they should not have wedding celebrations! Yes! No christian ever celebrated a wedding ceremony. Jesus went to a wedding. Yes true. But, it was in obedience to his mother and he infact, had to use his miraculous power for something rather trivial like 'making wine'. Jesus had not started his ministry then, so the wedding celebrants were obviously unbelievers. If JWs want to oust birthdays they should oust wedding celebrations.

However, the way christians celebrate birthdays are wrong. Playing loud worldly music, going to clubs, binging on meals, having wild home parties are not ways christians should celebrate their birthdays. You should thank God and invite friends over to dine in a non-secular atmosphere. Christians should not have parties that may later turn out to be orgies. It is plain wrong!!

Another JW sophistry or should I say mis-guidance exposed.

Next time you have a conversation with one of them, remind them of Ro 14:1-18 with special emphasis on verses 5, 6, 8, 10, 13. Then ask them to explain the application of that text with respect with judging and taking days as important.

Then, remind him or her that their believe in Jesus being enthroned in heaven is 1914 has not scriptural backing and has it's root in paganism, in particular, Pyramidology, before their founder Russel brought it into their religion.

The fact is, they would not know, more than 95 percent of them will not know, because they leaders are very careful and will never let them have access to that information, because, if they do, they will have a second look at those scriptures used to support the doctrine and will connect the dots
Re: Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? by rottennaija(m): 10:36pm On Jul 09, 2016
JMAN05:

If what he says is not true, let's see how you can explain 1 Co 13:8-13.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos Of Beautiful Christmas Decorations And Lights Made In Nigeria / How I Learned How To Tackle Demons In Secondary School / Matthew, Mark, Luke And John - Are They Old Or New Testament ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.