Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,898 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down (2888 Views)

Nigerian Club, C.O.D Signs Ex Sporting Lisbon Coach,paulo Jorge Silva / Why I Want To Buy Arsenal Instead Of Nigerian Club - Dangote / Enyimba Rated Top Nigerian Club Brand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by yommys01(m): 4:50pm On Feb 22, 2009
More tragedy has struck African football in Nigeria, according to reports,

At least 13 supporters of Nigeria Premier League club, Ocean Boys, are believed to have been killed while several others were injured in a clash between rival cult factions in the country's oil-rich Bayelsa state.

Club officials refused to comment on the incident.

"The media officer of Ocean Boys could not confirm or deny the incident," disclosed an official of the Nigeria Premier League, Tunji Babalola.

However, according to local media reports Sunday, clashes between the rival cult gangs - Icelanders and Greenlanders - began on Friday, when a member of the supporters club of Ocean Boys, who belongs to one of the gangs, was shot dead in the Bayelsa State capital, Yenagoa.

Later that night, a reprisal attack at a popular night club in the city left a member of another gang dead and several cars riddled with bullets.

However, as the team and their supporters headed for a league game in Ughelli in nearby Delta State, gunmen, riding in a black sports utility vehicle, reportedly opened fire on the bus, killing seven persons instantly. Three others died later.

Survivors said the same vehicle was spotted at the scene of the reprisal attack at the night club on Friday.

On Saturday, Ocean Boys defeated league leaders Bayelsa United 1-0.

Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by ow11(m): 7:16pm On Feb 22, 2009
That is one of the reasons the general public is not interested in Nigerian footie. Imagine taking your kids to go and see a game and meet a cross-fire between rampaging gangs. embarassed
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by HNIC(m): 9:10am On Feb 23, 2009
This is Shocking!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked
Looks like something out of a Mafia Movie!!!
how come there are so many fire arms in that region?
Really sad!!! sad sad
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by tayoccu(m): 2:39pm On Feb 23, 2009
I saw the story on channels tv this morning, it's sad, very sad.
However I think there's more to this than just football,why would people kill themselves over a league that's hardly followed?
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by UNLEASHED(m): 3:09pm On Feb 23, 2009
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by cvibe: 3:12pm On Feb 23, 2009
Sad.
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by tosinaded(m): 3:48pm On Feb 23, 2009
ow11:

That is one of the reasons the general public is not interested in Nigerian footie.
thats a lie abeg
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by tmoney11(m): 3:53pm On Feb 23, 2009
too bad
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by tkb417(m): 4:01pm On Feb 23, 2009
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by toosoon(m): 4:34pm On Feb 23, 2009
It have nothing to do with the football clubs, who do they expert to see in Nigeria Supporters' club i.e Bankers or Engineers, ? na wah for una!!!
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by MrCrackles(m): 4:50pm On Feb 23, 2009
Oh dear!! cry
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by olaposer(m): 4:52pm On Feb 23, 2009
it was a great tragedy for nigeria and it will give a negative and bad impression about us to the soccer fans in the world.what a shame and that iswhy millions of nigerians will prefer to support english premier league clubs than to cherish our local football clubs.
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by ow11(m): 4:56pm On Feb 23, 2009
tosinaded@:

thats a lie abeg

So it is not possible that violence at match venues or surrounding a supporter's club can be a reason people stay away from Nigerian league?

Or did you just reach out to condemn without understanding the phrase 'one of the reasons'? My guess is the latter. I would not feed your impatience with an explanation and still stand by my original insistence that violence is one of the reasons in addition to a lot more. tongue
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by kufreabasi(m): 5:05pm On Feb 23, 2009
this is too bad.
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by osisi2(f): 5:21pm On Feb 23, 2009
and why should crime make the front page?
This place is sinking lower and lower
like the soured agidi called Nigeria
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by DrKitaun(m): 5:37pm On Feb 23, 2009
does this look like the Crime section ? angry

**osisi:

exactly my sentiments too . . . undecided
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by theboy0808(m): 6:47pm On Feb 23, 2009
What a shame!!!
So sorry for the families of people who lost their lives!!!
Where was the police
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by chimauga(m): 6:52pm On Feb 23, 2009
What a tragedy i said it when i said that naija league is noting . Butt these terrorist boys i think they only go for oil. Are they now in football too . God help nigeria
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by theboy0808(m): 6:57pm On Feb 23, 2009
Amen 2 That
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by FBS: 8:07pm On Feb 23, 2009
Dr Kitaun:

does this look like the Crime section ?  angry
exactly my sentiments too . . . undecided
**osisi:

nonsense! what are you mad about? that the news itself its on the front page or that 13 innocent people were gunned down because of football?
Where does your priority lie? would you have said that if someone you knew was affected?

Good Lord help us in this country called Nigeria and give comfort to those that are grieved at this moment in time. Only YOU Oh LORD can do that.
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by Clairette(f): 8:31pm On Feb 23, 2009
Ridiculous! They are simply calous!
What a sad situation.

The Bible says; "It is better for you to hang a stone on your neck and sink down the deepest sea, than await the wrath of God"

This's my message to the culprits.
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by bawomolo(m): 10:36pm On Feb 23, 2009
Rather than wait for the wrath of God, what happened to the justice system. This is some St.Valentine's day massacre stuff.
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by SeanT21(f): 10:40pm On Feb 23, 2009
God bless those victims families!! cry
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by A40(m): 1:43am On Feb 24, 2009
Na waah ooh when would we hear good news about anything related to the Nigerian League jeez no wonder its such a hard sell undecided undecided

My condolences to the fam's of those fans cry cry
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by tpia: 4:23am On Feb 24, 2009
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by PurestBoy(m): 12:02pm On Feb 24, 2009
Nigeria stinks too much.
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by manmustwac(m): 12:33pm On Feb 24, 2009
Is so easy to commit crime in nigeria and get away with it. Thats why they do it. If it was a developed country they wouldn't even think about it.
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by gReenmAn(m): 2:19pm On Feb 24, 2009
The so called militancy in the Niger Delta has really gone awry. Those guys are Murderers, plain and simple!
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by kritikul(f): 2:25pm On Feb 24, 2009
A lot of rogues, blood suckers and terrorists in those oil states. I fear
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by tayoast(m): 5:12pm On Feb 24, 2009
Are u sure this stuff is football related?

Why would they hate each other to the point of killing?

This is Awful!
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by DrKitaun(m): 7:23pm On Feb 24, 2009
FBS:

nonsense! what are you mad about? that the news itself its on the front page or that 13 innocent people were gunned down because of football?
Where does your priority lie? would you have said that if someone you knew was affected?

doesnt it occur to u that this is a crime-related thread ?

res ipsa loquitor . . .
Re: Thirteen Fans Of Nigerian Club Gunned Down by Nobody: 10:14am On Feb 25, 2009
First off, can all the hypocrites please shut up?!! This is not the reason why Nigerian League is not supported.

Secondly, there is more violence in the South American, italian, and English leagues than in any part Nigerian league. Have you ever heard of the ultras?!! Do your history before posting nonsense.

P.S. Watch the movie "Green Street" by Elijah Wood so that you know what you are talking about,

Finally, God rest their souls,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender / World Cup Draws Finally Out, Nigeria In Group B / Super Eaglet's Victory Attributed To Yar'adua's Good Luck.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.