Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,358 members, 7,829,908 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

Welcome To The Jamaica Town Of Abeokuta - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Welcome To The Jamaica Town Of Abeokuta (8888 Views)

The Ghost Town Of Bama Reawakened As Reconstruction Begins. PIXS / Soldier Killed By Boko Haram In Bosso Town Of Niger/Nigerian Border Buried(pics) / Picture: The Girl Who Is The Jamaica Minister Of Youth And Culture. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Welcome To The Jamaica Town Of Abeokuta by NewNigeriaMind: 1:27pm On Jun 14, 2015
The village of Abeokuta is named after the town of Abeokuta in Nigeria and has a strong feel of African spirituality. The connection with Abeokuta began some 300 years age when the first African slaves were bought to Westmoreland they worked on the plantation where Arbeokuta now stands. There is also a large rock on the grounds whish is similar to the Olumo Rock in Arbeokuta, Nigeria. The park was officially opened by Florentina Ukonga, the Nigerian high commissioner on 5 January 2003.
Re: Welcome To The Jamaica Town Of Abeokuta by NewNigeriaMind: 1:30pm On Jun 14, 2015
Abeokuta Paradise Nature Park (pronounced A-be-o-ku-ta*) is located a few yards off the Dean’s Valley Road in Westmoreland. The centrepiece of this rustic eco-tourism destination is an almost Olympic-sized pool which is fed by water that is channelled via an aqueduct from the nearby Sweet River.

Abeokuta Paradise Nature Park took its name from the community of Abeokuta, which in turn got its name from the city in southwest Nigeria. When the Yorubas, who came to Jamaica as indentured workers, arrived in this part of Westmoreland, they thought it looked so much like the Abeokuta they had left behind that they gave it the same name. Abeokuta is part of the old Dean’s Valley Water Works Estate, a sugar plantation that at one time covered 2,200 acres.
Re: Welcome To The Jamaica Town Of Abeokuta by NewNigeriaMind: 1:31pm On Jun 14, 2015
The town was founded by a Nigerian from Abeokuta,

The town is a major tourist location in Jamaica

Re: Welcome To The Jamaica Town Of Abeokuta by vedd: 1:34pm On Jun 14, 2015
Good. I expected to see pictures.

*edited*

2 Likes

Re: Welcome To The Jamaica Town Of Abeokuta by NewNigeriaMind: 1:34pm On Jun 14, 2015
Abeokuta Paradise Nature Park

Abeokuta Paradise Nature Park is 40 mins from Negri and 10 mins outside Sav. It is located in Dean Valley Water Works section. There are nature walks , spring falls, swimming, nature tour, camping, ital vegetarian food, juices, marketplace.

Abeokuta Paradise Nature Park welcomes you to experience the ambiance and serenity of Nature. Abeokuta is a Heritage, Health and Eco-Tourist Attraction located in Dean’s Valley Westmoreland. The Park was officially opened on January 5th, 2003 by the Nigerian High Commissioner, Her Excellency Florentina Ukonga. Abeokuta is a beautiful unspoiled natural Jamaican Attraction that has been a breathtaking and rejuvenating experience for guests locally and internationally. There is nothing like Abeokuta on the entire island and the closest place to this is Abeokuta in Nigeria, Africa to which Abeokuta, Jamaica is directly linked for over three hundred years. This occurred when the first slaves that were taken to the Parish of Westmoreland were brought to this Plantation from Abeokuta, Nigeria. The Park itself occupies 13 acres of land on a hill that was the original Plantation Yard. The remains of the Great House still stand magnificently fashioned from pure cut 2’ thick stone. On the property is the oldest swimming pool in Jamaica which goes back three hundred years, with near Olympic dimensions being 71ft long and 47ft wide ranging from 4 to 10 feet in depth. There is a rope swing too! Mineral Water is supplied to this historic pool and a “Kiddie Pool” via an aqueduct ¼ mile long. Beginning at the riverhead, water flows constantly and ends in two separate waterfalls. The therapeutic value of the Mineral Water has been highly touted in the relief of Arthritis as well as muscle or bone problems due to the concentration of Iron, Calcium, Chloride, Magnesium and several other natural minerals. The view from Abeokuta Paradise Nature Park is quite spectacular and breath taking due to the “bird’s eye” altitude encompassing the distant ocean, spreading fields of sugar cane and enormous “paw-paw” fields that appear as a carpet of grass. There is the “Olumo Rock” which you can see on the Nature Tour. This rock is found in one other place in the world, Abeokuta, Nigeria, Africa! Abeokuta is a crime-free community with no hassles and the beautifully kept grounds are Harmonious and Tranquil with flowers and fruit trees all around. Abeokuta Paradise Nature Park is just off the B8 Main Highway between Ferris Cross and Montego Bay just a few miles from Ferris Cross. 40 mins from Negril and 10 mins outside Sav. We are open for picnics, River Walk Tours, BBQ’s, Chillin, parties, weddings, special moments, and open to all. .
Re: Welcome To The Jamaica Town Of Abeokuta by NewNigeriaMind: 1:36pm On Jun 14, 2015
Jamaica Abeokuta Tourist

Re: Welcome To The Jamaica Town Of Abeokuta by NewNigeriaMind: 1:38pm On Jun 14, 2015
Anywhere a Yoruba man goes, he takes his culture with him

1 Like

Re: Welcome To The Jamaica Town Of Abeokuta by NewNigeriaMind: 1:40pm On Jun 14, 2015
Entrance to Abeokuta resort in Jamaica

1 Like

Re: Welcome To The Jamaica Town Of Abeokuta by peleson: 4:53pm On Jun 14, 2015
The last lady in the last pix assssss tho
Re: Welcome To The Jamaica Town Of Abeokuta by koladebrainiac(m): 5:03pm On Jun 14, 2015
Wow nice one . facinating
Re: Welcome To The Jamaica Town Of Abeokuta by scampy(m): 8:56pm On Jun 14, 2015
Interesting..........
Re: Welcome To The Jamaica Town Of Abeokuta by TheOtherview: 9:07pm On Jun 14, 2015
To find myself again in Kingston on a lecture engagement in 1990, for the first time in nearly fifteen years, just as the entire city was emptying itself out for Mandela, was already more than sufficient. It was a symbolic gift that I regarded as personal, not shared with the millions of ecstatic hordes that has laboured for, and now celebrated his freedom. To discover a portion of my own homeland in that far-off place at the same time - now, as that was a miracle that could only be wrought by a Mandelan Avatar.

For it was only on this visit, my second over to that island, that I was made aware of a slave settlement called Bekuta, a name that immediately resonated in my head as none other than the name of my hometown, Abeokuta. This centuries-wide reunion with my own history sent a tingle down my vertebrae - an encounter with descendants from my own hometown, Abeokuta, on a far-flung Caribbean Island, in the hills of a once slave settlement called Jamaica?"

Source: Soyinka, W. (2007). You Must Set Forth at Dawn: A Memoir (Reprint edition). New York: Random House Trade Paperbacks.

1 Like

Re: Welcome To The Jamaica Town Of Abeokuta by Nobody: 6:30am On Jun 19, 2015
scampy:
Interesting..........
I just sent u a mail sire smiley
Re: Welcome To The Jamaica Town Of Abeokuta by scampy(m): 6:52pm On Jun 19, 2015
Jarizod:
I just sent u a mail sire smiley
ok

(1) (Reply)

Police Arrests 10 Boko Haram Suspect In Zaria / Fayemi: APC Has Not Abandoned Restructuring / Fayemi: Celebrating A Soldier Of Peace At 56 - Yinka Oyebode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.