Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey (1105 Views)

Nigerian Government Adopts Measures To Reduce Food Prices / Osinbajo Appoints Amaechi,ogbeh,ngige To Beat Down Food Prices / Nigeria Can Still Break Up - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by Goddex: 9:08pm On Jun 14, 2015
Yam, tomato, pepper worst hit

By Udeme Clement
Food prices, especially those of yam and soup ingredients like tomato and pepper, in Lagos, are rising steadily. The reason for the rise, according to traders, is a combination of the scarcity and according to others food items is seasonal. While many traders blamed the situation on the activities of insurgents in the North where these items are brought from, others attributed it to high cost of transportation, extra charges at the depot and shortage in supply of the goods.
When Sunday Vanguard visited the popular Ketu market, Lagos, which is  the depot for tomato coming in from the North, it was observed that the prices of tomato and pepper have increased by over 100 per cent over the past two weeks. For example, a small basket of tomato previously sold for between N5,000 and N6,000 now goes for N18,0000, while the big basket sold initially for N12,000 now goes for between N26,000 and N27,000 depending on the dealers and bargaining ability. Also, a medium basket of ordinary pepper increased from N8,000 to N15,000 while a basket load of Tatashe pepper now sells for N17.000 instead of N10,000.

It was also observed that  the prices of melon, yam, crayfish and stock fish are going up. For instance, a small paint-plastic of crayfish sold for N1,200 now goes for N2,500 and above, a big tuber of yam that went for N300 before the elections now goes for N600 and above.
A tomato trader at the Ketu depot, Mr. Abdulli Isa, said the problem started before the just concluded general elections, when the supply in tomato and pepper into the depot reduced drastically, such that the shortage greatly affected the quality of tomato coming into the market.
He said, “Also, the dealers bringing in the items from the North incur  financial losses due to some factors. These include high cost of transporting the goods to Lagos, the quantity of tomato and pepper that are destroyed due to the distance and method of conveyance. Sometimes we spend two to three days on the road to convey these items to the depot in Lagos, even after bringing them from the farm. Another challenge that triggered the sudden increase in prices of the items is the scarcity and increase in the prices of petroleum products. So, when the items are finally brought to the depot, these losses are counted and the cost added to the goods, that is why prices are unusually high, especially at this time of the year.
Another tomato dealer at Ketu, Mrs. Lawal, explained that, aside from the high cost of transporting the goods from the North, there are other charges associated with storing them at the depot. She said, “You have to also pay for keeping the items on the ground in the market for the number of days you are going to sell. Another problem is that this period, the number of people bringing the goods from the farm are very few.   We discovered that many people are now afraid of going to farm because they could be killed by insurgents in that area”.
Meanwhile, two women running restaurants at the motor park, Ketu lamented the hike in the prices of food items, in particular tomato and pepper, saying it was affecting their business as customers were not willing to pay more money than they hitherto paid for food

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/food-prices-go-up/

1 Like

Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by coldwater(m): 9:11pm On Jun 14, 2015
Hmnnn
Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by Goddex: 9:14pm On Jun 14, 2015
[size=13pt]Nonsense Change.
During GEJ, my wife had been buying a paint of garri #350 for 5yrs since 2010 without any increament.

Nigerians will regret this change. The signs are so obvious
[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by gregg2: 9:24pm On Jun 14, 2015
Do we even have a government in this country?
This country seems to be running on auto-pilot. Buhari looks so confused

1 Like

Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by Trailblazer1(m): 9:26pm On Jun 14, 2015
its simply the Change effect
So it must be in all ramifications
undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by dunkem21(m): 9:28pm On Jun 14, 2015
The prices of goods are sky rocketting by the day ..Pepper is the worst hit ..

.."Many many years after independence, we still find it hard to eat ..how long shall we be patient to reach the promised land" ?..

Which way Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by anomsodi(m): 9:29pm On Jun 14, 2015
space
Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by doublewisdom: 9:31pm On Jun 14, 2015
Nigeria jaga jaga everything scatter scatter gbosa gbosa!
Edris we need a remix urgently.

2 Likes

Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by Trailblazer1(m): 9:31pm On Jun 14, 2015
Goddex:
During GEJ, my wife had been buying a paint of garri #350 for 5yrs since 2010 without any increament.

[/size]
Nigerians asked for change

Change they have

Therefore, no complains undecided

1 Like

Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by doublewisdom: 9:36pm On Jun 14, 2015
And they claimed GEJ was the problem and Buhari was the solution.
Oya o, day don break o. Breeze don open fowl yansh.

3 Likes

Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jun 14, 2015
For example, a small basket of tomato previously sold for between N5,000 and N6,000 now goes for N18,0000, while the big basket sold initially for N12,000 now goes for between N26,000 and N27,000 depending on the dealers and bargaining ability. Also, a medium basket of ordinary pepper increased from N8,000 to N15,000 while a basket load of Tatashe pepper now sells for N17.000 instead of N10,000.

It was also observed that  the prices of melon, yam, crayfish and stock fish are going up. For instance, a small paint-plastic of crayfish sold for N1,200 now goes for N2,500 and above, a big tuber of yam that went for N300 before the elections now goes for N600 and above.
If na barcanista talk am now dem go say #Barcanista don start again. Thank you Vanguard.

We keep saying that Muhammadu Buhari and APC have no focus or direction. Nigeria has been going down the drain without any hope of redirection. Muhammadu Buhari have no policy blueprint or strategy to solve Nigeria's problem. Nigerians voted for #Change but Baba has been shortchanging us. May God give us the grace to endure this administration. Amen

3 Likes

Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by gregg2: 9:42pm On Jun 14, 2015
doublewisdom:
Nigeria jaga jaga everything scatter scatter gbosa gbosa!
Edris we need a remix urgently.

Seriously bros.
Buhari looks so confused so soon
Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jun 14, 2015
na changi e be eee
Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by doublewisdom: 9:59pm On Jun 14, 2015
gregg2:

Seriously bros.
Buhari looks so confused so soon
Buhari's confusion manifested during his campaign. Dude showed from the onset that he had no clear cut ideas on how to run a present day Nigeria. He couldn't elaborate on his plans for Nigeria if he became president. He kept shouting"I will fight corruption". APC deceived us by using the social media to vilify GEJ and canonize a clueless Buhari.

3 Likes

Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by Maxymilliano(m): 10:14pm On Jun 14, 2015
Food Prices Again !

Na wa o

Another Problem Continues ...

God help the masses.

1 Like

Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by gregg2: 11:22pm On Jun 14, 2015
Nigerians were scammed
Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by theSpark(m): 11:33pm On Jun 14, 2015
It will continue to rise if the unbridled assault on farmers by herdsmen is allowed to continue. Hunger is looming and no one is talking.

May God save us all.
Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by fitzmayowa: 11:45pm On Jun 14, 2015
doublewisdom:
And they claimed GEJ was the problem and Buhari was the solution.
Oya o, day don break o. Breeze don open fowl yansh.

The increase in price was caused by GEJ/PDP they failed to hand in their hand over notes on time...Mallam Shehu

*dodges stone and bottle* cheesy
Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by chronique(m): 12:59am On Jun 15, 2015
Under GEJ,food prices were relatively stable through the years.
Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by BLOTRS: 1:17am On Jun 15, 2015
chanji dole...Daura President wants us to eat gworo by force and step it down with fura de nunu
Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by gregg2: 1:29am On Jun 15, 2015
Brainless Daura President set to destroy Nigeria
Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by omenka(m): 1:59am On Jun 15, 2015
Goddex:

[/size]
Stop lying: www.premiumtimesng.com/business/166978-price-of-food-continues-to-rise-in-nigeria-statistics-bureau.html.

www.nairaland.com/1868277/price-food-items-continuous-rise

cheesycheesycheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by Gboliwe: 5:03am On Jun 15, 2015
I was shocked when I went to the market on Saturday! There was no pepper N50! The N100 pepper was just about 7pieces. shocked shocked

Yam I should buy N500, the man insisted it was N750 and that it was because I was his customer! shocked

Watermelon, I ended up buying the N100 own (already cut) just so I satisfy my longerthroat cool
Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by Horlawoomey(m): 7:29am On Jun 15, 2015
I think the problem is seasonal, here in Zamfara where there are no insurgent attacks the prices of tomatoes and pepper have skyrocketed. I was amazed in the market yesterday when I bought tomatoes for #300, meanwhile the quantity goes for #120 few weeks back.

I think this is the right time government need to make agriculture more lucrative to our youths, tomatoes and pepper can also be grown in most southern states, it doesn't have to be from the north alone.
Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by Nobody: 8:01am On Jun 15, 2015
And Mr. Daura keep wasting my tax travelling around.
Re: Food Prices Go Up - Vanguard Survey by gregg2: 1:01pm On Jun 15, 2015
Daura President and his wife are busy throwing jamboree parties in Aso Rock

(1) (Reply)

Your Honest Answer. Between Past And Present Administration.. / Oronsaye Det To Be Charge To Court!! / Sex Craze: Condoms, Enhancers Found In Boko Haram’s Camp [see Photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.