Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,495 members, 7,816,178 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

Timing Belt Tensioner And Belt Change - 2005 Honda Pilot - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Timing Belt Tensioner And Belt Change - 2005 Honda Pilot (2437 Views)

8 Signs Your Timing Belt Needs To Be Replaced / Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) / Help!!! Honda Accord 2009 Timing Belt Always Cutting. Any Solution? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Timing Belt Tensioner And Belt Change - 2005 Honda Pilot by Titan5g: 9:39pm On Jun 14, 2015
Hi my fellow Car enthusiast.
I have a 2005 honda pilot (135,000 miles) and it sometimes rattles at colds start then sound smoothens in 1mins. Mechanic has checked the power steering pump, ac compressor bearing, alternator and its not any of these. Serpentine belt was changed last yr and its OEM from USA.

A friend who is also a honda user checked and instantly told me its likely to be the timing belt tensioner, and that its better i do the timing belt change as well with the complete kit.

My scare is that this is a skilled job, going by youtube videos and i don't want any person to work on this except a professional honda technician. I also like my car neatly don, not throwing away screws and ensuring everything is put in place like the manaufacturer.

Please my friends, kindly recommend a good honda technician who is able to perform this job. I reside at gbagada lagos.

Awaiting your kind responses.
Re: Timing Belt Tensioner And Belt Change - 2005 Honda Pilot by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:17pm On Jun 14, 2015
Titan5g:
Hi my fellow Car enthusiast.
I have a 2005 honda pilot (135,000 miles) and it sometimes rattles at colds start then sound smoothens in 1mins. Mechanic has checked the power steering pump, ac compressor bearing, alternator and its not any of these. Serpentine belt was changed last yr and its OEM from USA.

A friend who is also a honda user checked and instantly told me its likely to be the timing belt tensioner, and that its better i do the timing belt change as well with the complete kit.

My scare is that this is a skilled job, going by youtube videos and i don't want any person to work on this except a professional honda technician. I also like my car neatly don, not throwing away screws and ensuring everything is put in place like the manaufacturer.

Please my friends, kindly recommend a good honda technician who is able to perform this job. I reside at gbagada lagos.

Awaiting your kind responses.

grin
Re: Timing Belt Tensioner And Belt Change - 2005 Honda Pilot by Titan5g: 8:34am On Jun 15, 2015
@ GAZZUZZ
Why the grin? smiley
Re: Timing Belt Tensioner And Belt Change - 2005 Honda Pilot by Titan5g: 8:40am On Jun 15, 2015
I dont want a Kazeem to touch my car
Re: Timing Belt Tensioner And Belt Change - 2005 Honda Pilot by b2212(m): 9:25am On Jun 15, 2015
Titan5g:
I dont want a Kazeem to touch my car
Gazzuz will sort you out.

he's got a state of the art workshop plus the know how for ishs like this.
Re: Timing Belt Tensioner And Belt Change - 2005 Honda Pilot by austin4real(m): 9:37am On Jun 15, 2015
Gazzuzz dey grin, cos he don sight business opportunity, I would do the same if I wuz in his shoes, @ OP contact oga Gazzuzz, if in doubt check out his thread on "Monitoring car repairs online'
Re: Timing Belt Tensioner And Belt Change - 2005 Honda Pilot by Titan5g: 8:29pm On Jun 15, 2015
@GAZZUZZ
Please how can i contact you.
Thanks
Re: Timing Belt Tensioner And Belt Change - 2005 Honda Pilot by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:50pm On Jun 15, 2015
Titan5g:
@GAZZUZZ
Please how can i contact you.
Thanks

08023251039, 08033910382
Re: Timing Belt Tensioner And Belt Change - 2005 Honda Pilot by Titan5g: 8:55pm On Jun 15, 2015
Will give you a call , thanks a lot
Re: Timing Belt Tensioner And Belt Change - 2005 Honda Pilot by Titan5g: 10:30am On Jun 16, 2015
Here is the video recorded and posted to my youtube page , 5am this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v9V36J67s0

1 Like

Re: Timing Belt Tensioner And Belt Change - 2005 Honda Pilot by Titan5g: 9:11pm On Jun 16, 2015
@GAZZUZZ
Please what do you think of the sound?
I will do the OBD scan tomorrow
Re: Timing Belt Tensioner And Belt Change - 2005 Honda Pilot by Readonee35L(m): 10:15pm On Jun 16, 2015
wow thats pretty loud
Fix it asap,
Re: Timing Belt Tensioner And Belt Change - 2005 Honda Pilot by Titan5g: 3:46pm On Jun 17, 2015
Guys just returned from my mechanic and we found the culprit grin
its the timing belt tensioner, we got a replacement from ladipo, the former had oil leaking and had some play.

Thanks for all your suggestions cool

Re: Timing Belt Tensioner And Belt Change - 2005 Honda Pilot by FlyboyZee: 7:53am On Jan 15, 2016
Titan5g:
Guys just returned from my mechanic and we found the culprit grin
its the timing belt tensioner, we got a replacement from ladipo, the former had oil leaking and had some play.

Thanks for all your suggestions cool
I think I am experiencing same issue with my Honda Civic Coupé. All the mechanics I have discussed the issue with, seems to think it is the belt adjuster that is bad. Is the timing belt tensioner the same thing as the adjuster in the middle of some pulley-like structures?
Re: Timing Belt Tensioner And Belt Change - 2005 Honda Pilot by Titan5g: 2:31pm On Jan 15, 2016
Though they are both called tensioner , but not same. What they are telling you is the serpentine belt adjuster/ pulley
Timing belt is very different

Picture 1 - Timing belt tensioner
Picture 2 - Serpentine belt tensioner pulley

For what I know of Honda especially Pilot and Odessey

Re: Timing Belt Tensioner And Belt Change - 2005 Honda Pilot by FlyboyZee: 2:44am On Jan 16, 2016
Titan5g:
Though they are both called tensioner , but not same. What they are telling you is the serpentine belt adjuster/ pulley
Timing belt is very different

Picture 1 - Timing belt tensioner
Picture 2 - Serpentine belt tensioner pulley

For what I know of Honda especially Pilot and Odessey
Thanks bro. I think it is the first pix you posted.

In addition to that low rattle sound at cold start up, there is a 'whining' or is it 'whirring' abi na 'whizzing' kinda noise like when a Toyota Hilux is reversing, when you shift into drive to move the car forward. But this sound stops after a while when the car is in motion. Apart from that, the car is otherwise fine, no Christmas lights on the dashy, no jerkings and no 'kpom' 'kpom' sound.
Re: Timing Belt Tensioner And Belt Change - 2005 Honda Pilot by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jan 27, 2016
mine clicks heavily when my ac is on and drags on acceleration. it makes this werid sound like nuts are loose and sounds like diesel engine.

(1) (Reply)

My Ordeal With The Nigerian Policemen / Spotted: Classic Citroen / Stolen Car!!! Please Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.