Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,348 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

South Africa Government In Trouble Over Al-bashir’s ‘escape’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Africa Government In Trouble Over Al-bashir’s ‘escape’ (938 Views)

Bashir Ahmad Meets Female Human-Sized Robot In Dubai. See What She Told Him / Buhari’s Top Aide In Trouble Over Attempt To Usurp Osinbajo’s Powers / Buhari Writes South Africa's Government, Lauds Henry Okah's Conviction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa Government In Trouble Over Al-bashir’s ‘escape’ by Sanchez01: 4:16pm On Jun 16, 2015
The South Africa government has been given a week to explain why it resisted a court order that had prohibited Sudan President, Omar al-Bashir from leaving its soil.

al-Bashir, who had been in South Africa for the 25th African Summit flew out of the country before the African Summit ended.

A court on Monday ordered that the South African government explain why al-Bashir was allowed to leave the country’s soil despite initial warning that the Sudanese President should be barred from leaving the country. The court ruling faulted the government, describing it as ‘not consistent with the constitution’.

Omar al-Bashir had been declared wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) for genocide and crime against humanity in Dafur before joining other African leaders at the Summit on Saturday.

The South African government has however claimed that it would investigate the circumstances surrounding the Sudanese President’s departure through one of its military base.

“We will also comply with the court order relating to submission of an affidavit outlining these circumstances,” it said in a statement.

South Africa, a signatory of the International Criminal Court has come under stern criticism for failing to detain Omar al-Bashir who has been accused of war crimes since 1999.

Since his indictment, al-Bashir has largely traveled to countries that are yet to join the ICC.

Source: http://www.fctpost.com/2015/06/16/south-africa-government-in-trouble-over-al-bashirs-escape/
Re: South Africa Government In Trouble Over Al-bashir’s ‘escape’ by ELTON123(m): 4:24pm On Jun 16, 2015
Who cares undecided

1 Like

Re: South Africa Government In Trouble Over Al-bashir’s ‘escape’ by tinuolababy(f): 4:30pm On Jun 16, 2015
Okay na
Re: South Africa Government In Trouble Over Al-bashir’s ‘escape’ by Caseless: 4:32pm On Jun 16, 2015
Those at ICC can go and die for all we care. I support SA govt on this.

1 Like

Re: South Africa Government In Trouble Over Al-bashir’s ‘escape’ by Sanchez01: 4:37pm On Jun 16, 2015
Caseless:
Those at ICC can go and die for all we care. I support SA govt on this.
SA is not just any country. One would even think that the Hague itself is situated in SA. They must have allowed al-Bashir go voluntarily.

cc
Lalasticlala
Re: South Africa Government In Trouble Over Al-bashir’s ‘escape’ by Caseless: 4:40pm On Jun 16, 2015
[url]
Sanchez01:

SA is not just any country. One would even think that the Hague itself is situated in SA. They must have allowed al-Bashir go voluntarily.

cc
Lalasticlala

Zuma was behind the escape.
Re: South Africa Government In Trouble Over Al-bashir’s ‘escape’ by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jun 16, 2015
Bleep THE ICC.

UNTIL THEY PROSECUTE GEROGE BUSH, TONY BLAIR AND OTHER CHILDREN KILLERS.

LET THEM Bleep OFF AFRICA

1 Like

Re: South Africa Government In Trouble Over Al-bashir’s ‘escape’ by neolboy(m): 4:42pm On Jun 16, 2015
good for them
Re: South Africa Government In Trouble Over Al-bashir’s ‘escape’ by Sanchez01: 4:43pm On Jun 16, 2015
Caseless:
[url]

Zuma was behind the escape.
True, I agree. I'm sure it was solely on diplomatic reasons though. There would have been a standoff between Sudan and South Africa if al-Bashir was captured in South Africa.
Re: South Africa Government In Trouble Over Al-bashir’s ‘escape’ by Caseless: 4:45pm On Jun 16, 2015
Sanchez01:

True, I agree. I'm sure it was solely on diplomatic reasons though. There would have been a standoff between Sudan and South Africa if al-Bashir was captured in South Africa.
no country would allow such to happen on their soil.
Re: South Africa Government In Trouble Over Al-bashir’s ‘escape’ by omoharry(f): 5:10pm On Jun 16, 2015
Caseless:
no country would allow such to happen on their soil.
Abi? thesame thing happened in Nigeria.I think our African leaders are getting wiser.They just realized that ICC is out to target only African leaders.
Re: South Africa Government In Trouble Over Al-bashir’s ‘escape’ by Caseless: 5:14pm On Jun 16, 2015
omoharry:
Abi? thesame thing happened in Nigeria.I think our African leaders are getting wiser.They just realized that ICC is out to target only African leaders.
you are right. ICC is too bias.
Re: South Africa Government In Trouble Over Al-bashir’s ‘escape’ by Sanchez01: 5:20pm On Jun 16, 2015
omoharry:
Not true, Nigeria of all countries is one of the most terrible as far as the international community is concerned. True, al-Bashir may not be apprehended in Nigeria as well for diplomatic reasons. Don't forget that our politicians wrote letters to the ICC, reporting themselves during the elections.
Re: South Africa Government In Trouble Over Al-bashir’s ‘escape’ by major466(m): 5:23pm On Jun 16, 2015
Not holding any brief for the Sudanese President but I will never support the arrest of an African Head of State by an African country on the alter of ICC. People like George Bush, who commited terrible crimes against humanity in Irag and Afganistan will never appear before the ICC because the United States is not a signatory to the damn organization.

(1) (Reply)

JONATHAN Awarded 72 Radio Licenses In Last Minute Allocation. / What Do You Think About The Autobot "INTROVERT"? / Press Statement : Planned Relocation Of Boko Haram Convicts To Anambra Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.