Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,541 members, 7,955,011 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:25 PM

Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L (22955 Views)

Hilarious Photos of Things People Use To Repair Their Cars / These Are 10 Of The Most Expensive Car Parts To Repair & Replace / What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 10:40am On Dec 04, 2016
kniru:
any update on ur friend's engine?

Long history.

That engine was a write off. He replaced it but was sold a lemon which has been giving sour taste. The new engine was a furbished one with lots of issues on crank shaft and later oil pump. The pump has been replaced but the crank shaft has not been available or affordable at the time.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by kniru: 8:32am On Dec 05, 2016
i have an 08 accord, and i get that cranking noise anytime the engine starts so i don't even know what to do sha.

adanny01:

Long history.

That engine was a write off. He replaced it but was sold a lemon which has been giving sour taste. The new engine was a furbished one with lots of issues on crank shaft and later oil pump. The pump has been replaced but the crank shaft has not been available or affordable at the time.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 9:13am On Dec 05, 2016
kniru:
i have an 08 accord, and i get that cranking noise anytime the engine starts so i don't even know what to do sha.

That was the first issues we solved in the car. Most of this car engines have that sound. I have seen so many Toyota engines with the sound too. Most of the cars are 2007 to 2010 models. It comes from intake camshaft VTC actuator shown in the picture below..

Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by kniru: 9:36am On Dec 05, 2016
is the issue fixable and do u know any reliable mechanic that can fix it without bringing down the engine?
adanny01:

That was the first issues we solved in the car. Most of this car engines have that sound. I have seen so many Toyota engines with the sound too. Most of the cars are 2007 to 2010 models. It comes from intake camshaft VTC actuator shown in the picture below..
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 9:46am On Dec 05, 2016
kniru:
is the issue fixable and do u know any reliable mechanic that can fix it without bringing down the engine?

It is fixable, you need to buy a new VTC actuator or the whole camshaft and replace. Only the valve cover will need to come off. Its a 30 min job.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by kniru: 9:53am On Dec 05, 2016
can i get ur number, i want to know the cost and somewhere i could easily fix it? i really appreciate
adanny01:

It is fixable, you need to buy a new VTC actuator or the whole camshaft and replace. Only the valve cover will need to come off. Its a 30 min job.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 9:59am On Dec 05, 2016
kniru:
can i get ur number, i want to know the cost and somewhere i could easily fix it? i really appreciate

08181811140. It only depends on where you are.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by SpeedRacer(m): 2:28am On Apr 03, 2020
So much knowledge I've gained from reading this thread.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by kayswag100(m): 1:05pm On Jan 01, 2021
SpeedRacer:
So much knowledge I've gained from reading this thread.

As in ehn...i was on the verge of purchasing an 08 Camry but instead opted for an 06 407 stick shift. May be the best decision i made in 2020...
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by TemmyDayo50(m): 10:51am On Jan 21, 2021
adanny01:
I didnt go to work so my friend asked me to help him fix coolant leakage at the thermostat housing. The engine oil was getting contaminated with ground metalic particles making the oil look strangely coloured. A different menchanic was used so i described our predicament. He listened very well and then squat on his knees to hear the bottom. He asked me for permission to open the bottom oil pan. I agreed knowing my friend will not be pleased i am encouraging him to spend more money after experienced people have given their virdicts.

The mechanic proceeded and discovered sludge of wearing .metal and the connecting rod end cap bolts were the ones a making contact with the oil pump balancer shafts at positions shown in the picture below. I thought whether Honda didnt think that those could meet hitting themselves but why it didnt happen before? They thought so thats why they had a procedure and markings for installing the pump just like that of timing. My little online search revealed that the mark on the oil pump sprocket should be around 7o'clock.while the engine is set at cylinder #1 TDC. That will effectively ensure the bolts will not hit the balancer. My previous mechanics obviously didnt know that and so they might have installed the pump with sprocket mark at 12o'clock just like the crank shaft would have been set at cylinder #1TDC. That was their gross mistake. I made an attempt to tell this mechanic, he said he knew very well how to set oil pump timing. He eventually did very well.

However, things didnt just go so smooth. I remembered the last mechanic saying that the oil pump had its own bearing and also had no explanation for the metalic stained oil pan and oil. I imagined that all the hits this oil pump took, something may have suffered. Just when the pump was to be reinstalled, i paused him and asked to inspect the pump myself. I shook the 1st balancer and was firm. I shook the 2nd and it was seriously gapped and wobbly. I called his attention. We discovered the bearings was almost totally worn probably due to the hit. Thats the source of ground metal in the engine oil and oil pan. That was 6pm, we were lucky to get it at Apo mechanic village.

Now, i cant tell you the huge relieve i have had. My friend had to verbarly express his gratitude for all my selfless sacrifice and comittment to solving his headache. My drive home was so sweet i maintained 140km/h with a/c cooling my nerves.

Hello Sir... Kindly help on this Sir.. I'm having this exact issue. My engine was in very good condition asiedd the crankshaft making a little noise when engine revs above 2000 rpm while changing gear. In a nutshell, I decided to fix that and that was the start of a bigger problem I never wished for. As soon as we fixed the crankshaft( we guaged it at a Turner) and the vehicle was started, then this unpleasant noise came up(just like the noise in the audio you uploaded). In a nutshell, we changed almost everything in the engine with different mechanics but noise didn't stop. We changed camshaft 2ce,changed oil pump 2ce even changed cylinder too with different mechanics..

Until I stumbled on this post and saw that oil pump had it's own setting. I immediately told the current mechanic working on it to observe that and do it according to the procedure laid here and when he did, noise reduced and I felt it was sorted.. I travelled with it the following day from ondo to Abuja.. Journey wasn't smooth but it got to Abuja...

Now the noise has started again. Also, if I rev the engine, the engine itself doesn't make that sound and it revs well. Please what do I do? I have spent seriously on this issue and I don't think I can afford a new engine for now. I'm in Abuja and I don't mind getting the contact of the mechanic that worked on yours that got the issue fixed. Thanks and awaiting your response Sir
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by Rotepim: 11:58am On Oct 25, 2022
Pls I am an issue with honda accord 2008, 4 cylinder.

Was driving when suddenly, it stopped on the road , it cranks on each trial , but engine wont start.

An electrician and mechanic were called.

Discovered fuel was getting to the engine meaning the fuel pump was ok.

Checked/Tested the spark plugs with the ignition coil and discovered that there was no sparks at the plug head.
Suspecting it was a current issue.

All other sensors connection that was seen still looked connected.

We suspected brainbox, we brought another brainbox , called someone to program the brainbox. The car started, tried moving front and back, the car moved . BUT THE DRIVE GEAR KEEPS BLINKING.

The brainbox programmer said its because the last serial digit on the new ECM was not exact.

So pls I want to know-
- if the problem is really the brainbox or should another electrician check for something else?

-Can the old brainbox be fixed?

-How much is cost of Honda Accord 2008 brainbox (pple are telling me 170k, which I think is expensive)?

-Finding the exact brainbox has been difficult in PH, what guarantees do I have on brainbox brought from outside the state (Lagos,Onitsha).

Pls help
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by chukel(m): 9:51am On Oct 31, 2022
Rotepim:
Pls I am an issue with honda accord 2008, 4 cylinder.

Was driving when suddenly, it stopped on the road , it cranks on each trial , but engine wont start.

An electrician and mechanic were called.

Discovered fuel was getting to the engine meaning the fuel pump was ok.

Checked/Tested the spark plugs with the ignition coil and discovered that there was no sparks at the plug head.
Suspecting it was a current issue.

All other sensors connection that was seen still looked connected.

We suspected brainbox, we brought another brainbox , called someone to program the brainbox. The car started, tried moving front and back, the car moved . BUT THE DRIVE GEAR KEEPS BLINKING.

The brainbox programmer said its because the last serial digit on the new ECM was not exact.

So pls I want to know-
- if the problem is really the brainbox or should another electrician check for something else?

-Can the old brainbox be fixed?

-How much is cost of Honda Accord 2008 brainbox (pple are telling me 170k, which I think is expensive)?

-Finding the exact brainbox has been difficult in PH, what guarantees do I have on brainbox brought from outside the state (Lagos,Onitsha).

Pls help
send me your VIN and I can get you an estimate of the exact ECU with correct part number.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by emynem05(m): 10:48pm On Oct 31, 2022
Abeg I need honda accord whatsapp group, can add me from my signature. Or we can form 1 if there is non.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Toyota Wants You To Stop Calling Its Cars Boring - Do You Think They Are Boring? / Lagos To Auction 108 Forfeited, Abandoned Vehicles / Bullion Van Breaks Down In Abuja, Residents Join The Police To Push It (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.