Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,116 members, 7,821,827 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:38 PM

Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L (22171 Views)

Hilarious Photos of Things People Use To Repair Their Cars / These Are 10 Of The Most Expensive Car Parts To Repair & Replace / What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 12:20pm On Nov 07, 2015
Its not too long since i let my friend keep and maintain his car so he can learn. He has pleaded with me to come supervise his engine replacement job planned for Monday.

Before now, quite a number of works was done on the the current engine. These include, timing chain and tensioner replaced, oil pump balancer shafts and bearing replacement. VTC actuator was worked on as the sound came back audible at every start. During the oil pump work, some connecting rod bearings were worked on and the engine bearing sound is now very audible. Also, the car suffered a major rear crash by a drunken driver which rear, bumper, left rear light, left tire was lost. 2 weeks ago he hit a tree trunk used to slow vehicIes on the highway late at night. He lost again a front right tire, shock absorber, upper arm. I wasnt part of all these works.

The top cylinder sound and the crankshaft sound are the major issues which have resurfaced after they were both tempered with for reasons i dont know.

The toks engine is sourced from Jabi motor parts market at 150. His engine will be traded in for 20k which i did not agree since i can easily count 1 part that i hear is worth 20k. The throttle body, alternator, A/C compressor, power stearing pump, coils, starter motor are easily worth more than 80k individually so 50k should'nt be a bad deal. The option is to take them away and they can go with the rest for 20k. The crank shaft in there was bought from same guy at 25k and if he cant buy the engine at 20k without the accessories, then i know what he intends. I want to make a 50k bargain on it complete or i take and keep the listed parts while the carcass is sold 15-20k.

I shall update where necessary.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by MPVGoddess: 1:47pm On Nov 07, 2015
adanny01:

The toks engine is sourced from Jabi motor parts market at 150. His engine will be traded in for 20k which i did not agree since i can easily count 1 part that i hear is worth 20k. The throttle body, alternator, A/C compressor, power stearing pump, coils, starter motor are easily worth more than 80k individually so 50k should'nt be a bad deal. The option is to take them away and they can go with the rest for 20k. The crank shaft in there was bought from same guy at 25k and if he cant buy the engine at 20k without the accessories, then i know what he intends. I want to make a 50k bargain on it complete or i take and keep the listed parts while the carcass is sold 15-20k.

I shall update where necessary.

Wrong move. He will live to regret it. Talk him out of such an unreasonable deal! Buy the engine but don't sell his.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 2:27pm On Nov 07, 2015
MPVGoddess:

Wrong move. He will live to regret it. Talk him out of such an unreasonable deal! Buy the engine but don't sell his.

Thats why i explained that i have to get a higher deal on his engine or i keep most of it and probably all. Its his chioice and i will give him all the necessary advice especially on those expensive part i listed.

Also i want help to identtify other expensive parts of the engine that i may consider for keeps especially those that are prone to failure.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by fernado56: 9:18pm On Nov 09, 2015
Good evening, Please Adanny01 , How did it went with your engine replacement and how much did you paid for the engine, I have being following your post because my car had a related problem ,Engine seized and we try to buy crank shaft and oil pump , after spending like 80k the engine make alot of noise , I am being advised to buy half engine or complete but i want you to give advise and cost , i saw that you wrote 150k is it complete tokunbo engine and is there any warranty on it?? Please i will like to hear more info from you please
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 9:22pm On Nov 09, 2015
fernado56:
Good evening, Please Adanny01 , How did it went with your engine replacement and how much did you paid for the engine, I have being following your post because my car had a related problem ,Engine seized and we try to buy crank shaft and oil pump , after spending like 80k the engine make alot of noise , I am being advised to buy half engine or complete but i want you to give advise and cost , i saw that you wrote 150k is it complete tokunbo engine and is there any warranty on it?? Please i will like to hear more info from you please

The job has not been done, i couldnt make it today but will do tomorrow.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by fernado56: 9:39pm On Nov 09, 2015
adanny01:

The job has not been done, i couldnt make it today but will do tomorrow.

Please can you give me the price range of the engine you source and was it tokunbo?? someone is offering 180k from ladipo i want to be sure its the market price not a rebuilt engine am going for
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 10:19pm On Nov 09, 2015
fernado56:

Please can you give me the price range of the engine you source and was it tokunbo?? someone is offering 180k from ladipo i want to be sure its the market price not a rebuilt engine am going for

I didnt make the order but my friend did. Though i know the supplier. I will only know the details when we get to the mechanics.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 7:43am On Nov 11, 2015
Update.

My friend told me that on Sunday he checked water in the radiator and forgot to close it. He got his head cylinder gasket burnt. He spent his monday early hours fixing it.

That increased his desire to replace the engine. Unfortunately, the 150k deal wasnt even close to the deal. The parts dealer said he must be drunk if he actually said 150k for the engine but probably meant to say 250k. Besides that, his own has been sold for 280k and he took us to another guy who wants 270k for it. All the engines offered are "straight" meaning without alternator, a/c compressor and ps pump.

We will go to Apo mech village today. We made a call to Apo yesterday and the first price is 270k and in Kaduna 320k.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:54am On Nov 11, 2015
When I saw 150 I was shocked!!! Just bought and installed one for 3xxk.

Following.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 8:15pm On Nov 11, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
When I saw 150 I was shocked!!! Just bought and installed one for 3xxk.

Following.

We got another today. The engine is practically new, i have never seen a cleaner almost new tokumbo engine. A peep of the head cylinder through the engine oil fill, i saw no brownish stains at all. I forgot to take a shot. I only took pix of the engine number sticker on the head cover to secure exactly our choice out of about 7. On most engines the sticker data has wiped off but this one is intact.

The agreed price is 255k. However, there is a problem. The engine we chose, i later realised is a K24Z2 while the one in the car is K24Z3.

Wikipedia says Z2 is for 2008 accord LX/LX-P while Z3 is for LX-S/EX/EX-L. The main difference i see from the specs is the compression ratio and 177hp @ 6500rpm for Z2 and 190hp @7000rpm for Z3. It is quite clear that since the redline is higher more hp shoud be delivered with more tuning in the ECU.

Google search suggested engine is exactly same except for their redline. I saw a comment that claimed a Z3 ECU was used in a Z2 car (LX or LX-P) and the result was limp mode.

Since we had planned to pay in the morning, we will look for Z3 among the 6 others and hope to see one as clean. There was one just as clean but i didnt check that one. I will look of for that one if its Z3.

Mechanic as usual says just buy it, theres no problem, it will work.

Car is at the mechanic already with removal process started around 5pm.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 8:28pm On Nov 11, 2015
Oh, the trade off.

Our engine was priced at 20k. I am not happy about it but hey, what more can i do if i cant get more am my friend wants nothing from the old engine. I am pissed off for the fact that i hear the trottle body alone is worth as much.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 11:05am On Nov 12, 2015
We found only one K24Z3. 2 of the 5 K24Z2 were like new.

Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by Inception(m): 11:30am On Nov 12, 2015
Check the back of the engine(close to where the filter is and the sump, just below the vtec actuator).
You will see the VIN number of the car where the engine was taken from.
Run a VIN check to have an idea of the car's history and mileage before it was scrapped.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by Piyke: 5:12pm On Nov 12, 2015
Following...
Nice you got the exact engine spec.
On the old engine, I'll rather take the good stuff; sensors, throttle body, AC compressor, PS pump etc and dispose the block etc to scrap metal guys than sell all these for 20k. Although from your earlier post, it seems your friend doesn't care.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 10:05pm On Nov 12, 2015
Inception:
Check the back of the engine(close to where the filter is and the sump, just below the vtec actuator).
You will see the VIN number of the car where the engine was taken from.
Run a VIN check to have an idea of the car's history and mileage before it was scrapped.

We just got home.

I saw your comment an hour after it was installed in the engine bay. It hard to access it as the drive shaft sits just by it blocking view to it. Thanks for the important tip.

Piyke:
Following...
Nice you got the exact engine spec.
On the old engine, I'll rather take the good stuff; sensors, throttle body, AC compressor, PS pump etc and dispose the block etc to scrap metal guys than sell all these for 20k. Although from your earlier post, it seems your friend doesn't care.

All the engine i have seen in Zuba and Apo mechanic villages had no AC compressor, PS pump, alternator or belt tensioner. I was shown a pic of the engines as loaded in the container from the US, they carried non of those probably to save space and load more. The only thing we took was the throttle body of the new engine. We used the intake manifold with throtle body of the old on advice by engine sellers. The VTEC control solenoid and oil switch assembly was broken and even different which our connectors wouldnot fit. So used the old VTEC solenoid and oil pressure switch. The oil holes on both engines were exact.

The engine is sweet. It started right up with no stress. The challenge the mechanic had initially was caused by contact problems of ECU connectors. Once they were sorted, it came alive with first kick.

However, 2 more challenges were experienced. One was high RPM at 1500 and the second was a problem with the gear shifter cable that broke.

Both problems were sorted. We still had CEL so i got codes relating to Temp sensor 2 high voltage and o2 sensor circuit B1S2. What is left is for tomorrow.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:14am On Nov 13, 2015
Temp sensor 2. Check coolant temp sensor on radiator. Lower left side.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 12:02pm On Nov 13, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
Temp sensor 2. Check coolant temp sensor on radiator. Lower left side.

Yes, am aware. Infact we had this same problem before which i treated hear. That time the connector was missing but now it was disconnected and one of its wires is missing.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:09pm On Nov 13, 2015
adanny01:

Yes, am aware. Infact we had this same problem before which i treated hear. That time the connector was missing but now it was disconnected and one of its wires is missing.

E take leg go? grin
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 10:01pm On Nov 13, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

E take leg go? grin

We actually couldnt find the second wire to connect the connector which has 2 wires. I can recall that the 2 wires were there b4.

Today, the mechanic just decided to connect the second wire to ground and it worked.

On the limp mode, the mechanic just removed the solenoid housing and connected to battery terminals to see it click like they usually do which it didnt move. He reinstalled and it worked fine thereafter.

Now, we are left with 1 DTC P0141 refering to O2 sensor B1S2. A panel beater went under and confirmed the connector was hanging loose. He said he connected it but the code still exist. We will see to it later.

Now the car moves like a jet.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by papiroza: 2:10am On Feb 02, 2016
HI guys. I took the pain to read this thread from the beginning to the end. Information is indeed power and i must say that had i seen this thread earlier, I would have saved a lot of money. I drive a 2008 honda accord which had similar issues with the one the OP handled. I'm a novice when it comes to cars and I rely on a trusted friend to handle my car issues. The initial problem after I bought the car was noise from the engine whenever I start it in the morning. The metals and bearing were replaced. The noise didn't go after the replacement and I also noticed the car was losing oil (shortage without leakage) after a while. Somehow, the noise got bad and became noticeable when I rev to around 2000rpm. I replaced same parts again. All these while, there was no error codes on the dash, save for TPMS, which pops up and disappears.

Fast forward, when the noise became louder, especially anytime I restart the car or rev up to 2000rpm, my obviously incompetent and exploitative mechanic told me to get the crankshaft replaced. I did and the problem wouldn't stop. At this point, the CEL came on and the car wouldn't rev beyond 3000rpm. Also, the car would not idle well anymore.

I decided to replace the engine. I got another engine through a new mechanic in Apo for 270k. Upon fixing the new engine, the car appeared ok and the noise was gone.
However, I noticed that the VSA and CEL came on 5 minutes into test -driving the new engine. I also discovered that the car revs well but doesn't gain speed on time. The engine seller, in a bid to solve the problem, suggested I remove my catalyst converter which he claimed was bad. I drove the car without the convertor (I still have mine in the boot of the car). The car ran a little better, but the VSA and CEL remained. The noise from the engine is completely gone, even when I start it in the money. The new engine sounds good, but the car wouldn't gain speed on time. Through a friend, the car was scanned and the error code P0341 (ECM Failure ) came on. The code was cleared and showed up again. I'm just exhausted. I need to get this right this time. I need a competent hand to handle this. OP, please drop your contacts so I can reach you. I'm also open to recommendations pls. My location is abuja. Thanks
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 1:55pm On May 29, 2016
Hey guys, this is to annouce the sudden and unexpected demise of my friend's engine. He was traveling and heard a bang from the engine bay then stopped. He immediately saw all engine oil flowing out. On spot investigation showed broken or pierced oil sump. Further investigation after the car was towed to shop showed significant puncture to engine block.

Apparently, a conrod did the job.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by mayor2013: 3:23pm On May 29, 2016
adanny01:
Hey guys, this is to annouce the sudden and unexpected demise of my friend's engine. He was traveling and heard a bang from the engine bay then stopped. He immediately saw all engine oil flowing out. On spot investigation showed broken or pierced oil sump. Further investigation after the car was towed to shop showed significant puncture to engine block.

Welcome to the land of buying a toks engine where more than 250k would be coughed out
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:26pm On May 29, 2016
adanny01:

Very sad New engine loading.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by mayor2013: 3:31pm On May 29, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Very sad New engine loading.

Not loading. Loaded already

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 6:36pm On May 29, 2016
It is my believe that this early demise is a result of what probably happened to the donor car.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:57am On May 30, 2016
adanny01:
It is my believe that this early demise is a result of what probably happened to the donor car.

please explain
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 7:35am On May 30, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

please explain

Most imported engines are sourced from cars which are destroyed by accident. An engine may be affected by that accident but may not exhibit such effects immediately but it will later on.

I imagine the conrod failed at its usual point of failure, the cap bolts or nuts which may have taken a lot of stress during the accident that they have been on the verge of failure.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by mayor2013: 7:50am On May 30, 2016
adanny01:

Most imported engines are sourced from cars which are destroyed by accident. An engine may be affected by that accident but may not exhibit such effects immediately but it will later on.

I imagine the conrod failed at its usual point of failure, the cap bolts or nuts which may have taken a lot of stress during the accident that they have been on the verge of failure.

Far fetched from it. Recently a client of mine had this con rod issue with her toyota rav4 2005. Oil sipping out all through engine block. This is a car that had been used for atleast 2years. Something triggered this to happen. We later found out that on a day when she tried to get help when the car broke down, the radiator cap wasn't closed properly and the car over heated badly. So ask your friend what actually went wrong. I respect your point but I still think it doesn't coincide with what happened to your friend's engine
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 9:06am On May 30, 2016
mayor2013:

Far fetched from it. Recently a client of mine had this con rod issue with her toyota rav4 2005. Oil sipping out all through engine block. This is a car that had been used for atleast 2years. Something triggered this to happen. We later found out that on a day when she tried to get help when the car broke down, the radiator cap wasn't closed properly and the car over heated badly. So ask your friend what actually went wrong. I respect your point but I still think it doesn't coincide with what happened to your friend's engine

On overheating as the probable cause, i am of the opinion that long before the conrod would self destruct due to over heating, the engine should have stopped running. That is because, the pistons experience more heat which expands them and sieze the engine. Many people experience overheating on a daily basis, what happens is that the engine sieze up (expanded pistons), the head gasket burns and the head cylinder warps but for the connecting rod to break is something i have not imagined. My friend has confirmed that he didnt notice over heating and over heating has not been a problem for a long time.

I have also read people linking lack of oil as a cause of failure. In this case, oil did flowout in considerable amount that should eliminate this assumption.

My friend told me a long piece of a metal did the damage. From his description, i guessed the entire beam of the conrod broke at both ends. One end probably broke first and when it hit the engine block or sump it broke the other end also sending it loose. I can only guess that it failed due to fatigue or stress which had been previously exceeded probably by a crash, over revving, racing etc. Of course conrod defect is a probable cause too.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by kniru: 4:08am On Dec 04, 2016
any update on ur friend's engine?
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by luvinhubby(m): 8:54am On Dec 04, 2016
adanny01:

Two things, either the car badly over heated without your friends knowledge or they sold him a locally refurbished engine.
Re: Advice Needed To Repair 2008 Honda Accord 2.4L by adanny01(m): 10:35am On Dec 04, 2016
luvinhubby:

Two things, either the car badly over heated without your friends knowledge or they sold him a locally refurbished engine.

I know for sure it wasn't a foreign or locally refurbished engine as i was in the process of buying it. There was not overheating but there was very high speed and acceleration.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Much Does It Cost To. Re-fill AC Gas / Lagos Seeks To Reduce Numbers Of Cars On Roads / Avoid This Deathtrap, Buy Quality Rims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.