Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,274 members, 7,829,612 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

Lets Put A Spotlight On The Revenue Mobilization Allocation And Fiscal Commissio - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lets Put A Spotlight On The Revenue Mobilization Allocation And Fiscal Commissio (2063 Views)

Photos: Ebonyi To Partner Abia In Commerce, Revenue Mobilization, Others / FG Announce 10 Point Fiscal Economic Road Map-the Nation / Spotlight On Wike’s Endless Search For Prayers (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lets Put A Spotlight On The Revenue Mobilization Allocation And Fiscal Commissio by hahn(m): 10:31am On Jun 18, 2015
I believe it is high time Nigerians learn how to direct their grieviances at the right quarters. During the past week there has been a serious backlash on the N9B that has been allocated for "wardrobe allowance" by many Nigerian citizens and we have all protested, in our own way, against the total waste and total lack of consideration of Nigeria's resources in these trying times and indeed of the plight of many Nigerians, especially civil servant who haven't been paid salaries over several months, who have found it difficult to cope with the harsh economic realities that we are being faced with.

However, what most people have failed to realise is that the "wardrobe allowance" is just a tip of the iceberg. We still have to contend with other "irrelevant" allowances such as the feeding, housing, newspaper, hardship and other allowances that will no doubt also run into billions of naira.

Now, I was thinking and it struck me when I realised that neither the presidency nor even the senate or house of reps have the power to reduce the current salaries or our "leaders". This responsibility is solely of the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC). However, it seems quite strange that no one has directed their grieviances at them or the chairman and indeed lots of people don't even know who the chairman is!

That is the point of this thread. I was able to get some information from their website @ http://www.rmafc.gov.ng. You can also do your research.

RMAFC - Functions

The Commission derives its powers and constitutional functions from paragraph 32 of Part I of the Third Schedule to the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The Commission, accordingly, has been vested, constitutionally, with powers and responsibilities to:

Monitor the accruals into and disbursement of revenue from the Federation Account;
Review from time to time, the revenue allocation formulae and principles in operation to ensure conformity with changing realities: Provided that any revenue formula which has been accepted by an Act of the National Assembly shall remain in force for a period of not less than five years from the date of commencement of the Act;
Advise the Federal, State and Local Governments on fiscal efficiency and methods by which their revenue is to be increased;
Determine the remuneration appropriate to political office holders, including the President, Vice-President, Governors, Deputy Governors, Ministers, Commissioners, Special Advisers, Legislators and the holders of the offices mention in Section 84 and 124 of the Constitution; and
Discharge such other functions as are conferred on the Commission by the constitution or any Act of the National Assembly.

RMAFC - Autonomy

The Commission is an autonomous body and is not subject to the direction or control of any other authority or person in the exercise of its power to make appointments or to exercise disciplinary control over persons.

Unlike in the past where Ad-hoc Committees and Commissions were set up to review the fiscal arrangements in the country, the Commission is now a permanent institution. As a permanent institution, the Commission’s approaches shall necessarily be different from those of previous Ad-hoc bodies. Two of these differences are worth highlighting. First, the reports of the Commission will be more frequent, and be in memo form. Secondly, its assignments will be carried out in a more discrete manner. Yet, the Commission wants to benefit from as wide and varied a viewpoint as possible, it organizes seminars, engages in frequent brainstorming sessions and uses the services of consultants and media where and when necessary. It welcomes memoranda, particularly those objectively put forward by institutions, groups and individuals.

RMAFC - Organizational Structure

An Executive Chairman, Engr. Elias N. Mbam, FNSE, heads the new Revenue Mobilization Allocation and Fiscal Commission. It has a board comprising a member from each State of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory. It also has the management comprising the senior staff that undertakes the regular civil service routines. The Commission has the office of the Chairman with operational units, the office of the Secretary and seven departments namely:
Department of Allocation
Department of Mobilization
Department of Human Resources
Department of Planning, Research and Statistics
Department of Finance and Accounts
Department of Fiscal Efficiency
Department of Oil & Gas
Procurement Division
Servicom Division
Public Relations and Information Unit
Legal Unit
Internal Audit Unit
Protocol Unit
Information and Communication Technology (ICT Unit)
Maintenance Unit
Clinic Unit

The chairman Engr. Elias N. Mbam is the one that should be held accountable for this outrageous salaries earned by our "leaders".

What is this man's twitter account? How long has he been the chairman? Concerned Nigerians should put this man on the spot light.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lets Put A Spotlight On The Revenue Mobilization Allocation And Fiscal Commissio by gambit10: 10:56am On Jun 18, 2015
let's face these people...they are the insensitive idiots
Re: Lets Put A Spotlight On The Revenue Mobilization Allocation And Fiscal Commissio by hahn(m): 12:08pm On Jun 18, 2015
Omenka, passingshot, mynd44, ymodulus, barcanista, temitemi, thedauradullard, severusnape, mogidi, muguliciousmugu and other youths, I believe this thread needs your opinions.

Its time to abandon our partisanship and face reality. PDP and APC have stolen away our birth right for too long. We have to ensure they get it right
Re: Lets Put A Spotlight On The Revenue Mobilization Allocation And Fiscal Commissio by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jun 18, 2015
Oga allow the innocent man. He can only come up with a proposal but it still requires the NASS to pass it into law. The NASS can REJECT it.
Re: Lets Put A Spotlight On The Revenue Mobilization Allocation And Fiscal Commissio by Mogidi: 12:29pm On Jun 18, 2015
My advice to PDP members in senate and HOR would be to reject this outrageous allowance.

I wrote to the senator and HOR member representing my constituency to reject the "wardrobe allowance" and I urge other forum users to do the same.
If only all PDP members rejected this allowance, Ben Bruce is turning out to be my new hero.
Re: Lets Put A Spotlight On The Revenue Mobilization Allocation And Fiscal Commissio by hahn(m): 12:47pm On Jun 18, 2015
barcanista:
Oga allow the innocent man. He can only come up with a proposal but it still requires the NASS to pass it into law. The NASS can REJECT it.

Has he come up with a proposal thus far?
Re: Lets Put A Spotlight On The Revenue Mobilization Allocation And Fiscal Commissio by hahn(m): 12:50pm On Jun 18, 2015
Mogidi:
My advice to PDP members in senate and HOR would be to reject this outrageous allowance.

I wrote to the senator and HOR member representing my constituency to reject the "wardrobe allowance" and I urge other forum users to do the same.
If only all PDP members rejected this allowance, Ben Bruce is turning out to be my new hero.

And all APC members are also yet to reject this said allowance.

Please enlighten on how to also contact the senator and HOR membersrepresenting our various constituencies on how to go about it. Many people don't even know the names of their local government chairmen
Re: Lets Put A Spotlight On The Revenue Mobilization Allocation And Fiscal Commissio by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jun 18, 2015
hahn:

Has he come up with a proposal thus far?
They are working on one already and it should be ready before the year end. Meanwhile, it has to still go through the NASS lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Lets Put A Spotlight On The Revenue Mobilization Allocation And Fiscal Commissio by Firefire(m): 12:59pm On Jun 18, 2015
redirecting the missiles...RMAFC take cover! Sorry, the missile target is confirmed.

Re: Lets Put A Spotlight On The Revenue Mobilization Allocation And Fiscal Commissio by Mogidi: 1:00pm On Jun 18, 2015
hahn:

And all APC members are also yet to reject this said allowance.

Please enlighten on how to also contact the senator and HOR membersrepresenting our various constituencies on how to go about it. Many people don't even know the names of their local government chairmen

Am a party member so details of my reps are readily available to me. For those intent on writing to their reps, I think a good place to start would be http://www.nassnig.org.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lets Put A Spotlight On The Revenue Mobilization Allocation And Fiscal Commissio by Firefire(m): 1:04pm On Jun 18, 2015
What are the functions of RMAFC

The Commission, accordingly, has been vested, constitutionally, with powers and responsibilities to:

Monitor the accruals into and disbursement of revenue from the Federation Account; Review from time to time, the revenue allocation formulae and principles in operation to ensure conformity with changing realities: Provided that any revenue formula which has been accepted by an Act of the National Assembly shall remain in force for a period of not less than five years from the date of commencement of the Act; Advise the Federal, State and Local Governments on fiscal efficiency and methods by which their revenue is to be increased; Determine the remuneration appropriate to political office holders, including the President, Vice-President, Governors, Deputy Governors, Ministers, Commissioners, Special Advisers, Legislators and the holders of the offices mention in Section 84 and 124 of the Constitution; and Discharge such other functions as are conferred on the Commission by the constitution or any Act of the National Assembly.

angry angry angry

Now we need to explore the "Act of the National Assembly" supporting this fraud.

Re: Lets Put A Spotlight On The Revenue Mobilization Allocation And Fiscal Commissio by wordcat(m): 1:17pm On Jun 18, 2015
Who appoints the chairman of that commission?
Re: Lets Put A Spotlight On The Revenue Mobilization Allocation And Fiscal Commissio by hahn(m): 1:23pm On Jun 18, 2015
barcanista:
They are working on one already and it should be ready before the year end. Meanwhile, it has to still go through the NASS lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Lol. NASS really have us by the balls, don't they? tongue
Re: Lets Put A Spotlight On The Revenue Mobilization Allocation And Fiscal Commissio by hahn(m): 1:26pm On Jun 18, 2015
wordcat:
Who appoints the chairman of that commission?

Good question!
Re: Lets Put A Spotlight On The Revenue Mobilization Allocation And Fiscal Commissio by tpiadotcom: 1:44pm On Jul 20, 2015
what's the point of this thread?

is the op jobless?

(1) (Reply)

Photo Of The Ministerial List Signed By President Muhammadu Buhari / Did Emir Sanusi Behead Akaluka Gideon? / How Jonathan's Own Goal Gave Nigeria Extra Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.