Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,180 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

The Low Down On Lagos!! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Low Down On Lagos!! (1172 Views)

Driver Runs Away As Container Falls And Break Man's Leg On Lagos Road. Photos / Policemen Push Vehicle That Broke Down On Lagos Highway / Terrible Accident On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway This Evening [ See Photos / Video ] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Low Down On Lagos!! by NthabeM: 1:32pm On Jun 19, 2015
It has been a dream of mine to travel to Nigeria for a long time now and hopefully if everything goes according to plan, that dream will materialise by September.

In my excitement about the pending trip, I am constantly researching the best tourist places and activities, cultural or otherwise, that one can partake in once there (am already addicted to Naija food smiley).

Along with the interesting and lovely activities provided, there have also been some reviews by other tourists that centre around four main areas:
1) Be careful and have your wits about you upon your arrival at the airport.
2) Be careful in Lagos around December. If possible, stay in Lagos only for a short while and rather lodge in a different area. Or if you must stay in Lagos, do not go out at night (which would be a shame as I want to experience the Lagos night life!!).
3) The traffic in Lagos can be a challenge.
4) Be polite always to anyone in uniform and be prepared for lots of road blocks and what happens during the roadblocks.

The reasons given for these warnings are very vague and I therefore wanted to understand fully what the danger areas are and what I can expect specifically in terms of the four points above.
Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by ifegy: 5:08pm On Jun 19, 2015
Well, start by modifying your initial post to remove your intended arrival date. Lagos is not the sort of place where you broadcast your arrival, especially if you're a JJC.
Hang around, people who live there will soon stop by to advice you. Just don't accept any offers to contact people offline and start making plans with them. There are hotel booking sites that you can use to check for hotels (hotels.ng, I think). There's a reviewnaija.com.site that could help you check out restaurants and things to do.
And yes you should keep your wits about you always, not just in the airport.
Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by fajigirl(f): 5:27pm On Jun 19, 2015
If you don't mind me asking are you Nigerian?
Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by NthabeM: 1:01pm On Jun 21, 2015
fajigirl:
If you don't mind me asking are you Nigerian?

Am not Nigerian, am a South African with a genuine interest in Nigeria
Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by NthabeM: 1:05pm On Jun 21, 2015
ifegy:
Well, start by modifying your initial post to remove your intended arrival date. Lagos is not the sort of place where you broadcast your arrival, especially if you're a JJC.
Hang around, people who live there will soon stop by to advice you. Just don't accept any offers to contact people offline and start making plans with them. There are hotel booking sites that you can use to check for hotels (hotels.ng, I think). There's a reviewnaija.com.site that could help you check out restaurants and things to do.
And yes you should keep your wits about you always, not just in the airport.
]

Thanks for the advice, will be a little more discreet about my exact travel dates next time and try and adhere to the cautions you gave. I have also been advised to travel with someone who knows Lagos well instead of travelling with just my sister as I had intended. Oh and I will definitely check out the booking site, thanks again!
Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by sugaDaddy(m): 1:44pm On Jun 21, 2015
NthabeM:
It has been a dream of mine to travel to Nigeria for a long time now and hopefully if everything goes according to plan, that dream will materialise by September.

In my excitement about the pending trip, I am constantly researching the best tourist places and activities, cultural or otherwise, that one can partake in once there (am already addicted to Naija food smiley).

Along with the interesting and lovely activities provided, there have also been some reviews by other tourists that centre around four main areas:
2) Be careful in Lagos around December. If possible, stay in Lagos only for a short while and rather lodge in a different area. Or if you must stay in Lagos, do not go out at night (which would be a shame as I want to experience the Lagos night life!!).
4) Be polite always to anyone in uniform and be prepared for lots of road blocks and what happens during the roadblocks.

The reasons given for these warnings are very vague and I therefore wanted to understand fully what the danger areas are and what I can expect specifically in terms of the four points above.

Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by sugaDaddy(m): 1:51pm On Jun 21, 2015
Every country has its good and bad. Don't read too much meaning into what people say. As they say, one mans food's another man's poison.

No one is going to scam you or less you're greedy. Lagos is fun and interesting. Lagosians love foreigner (even more than their own). Just like you'll do in any other country, be vigilant. God bless
Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by NthabeM: 2:17pm On Jun 21, 2015
sugaDaddy:
Every country has its good and bad. Don't read too much meaning into what people say. As they say, one mans food's another man's poison.

No one is going to scam you or less you're greedy. Lagos is fun and interesting. Lagosians love foreigner (even more than their own). Just like you'll do in any other country, be vigilant. God bless

Thanks for that advice, now am even more determined to visit Naija smiley God bless you too!!
Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by ugsams(m): 9:15am On Jun 22, 2015
Lagos is one fun and crazy city... Nobody can give you an analysis of Lagos and be totally correct about that. To each individual, Lagos means a different thing. Lagos is a mixture of different things even some of the things we complain of, you miss them when you're not in Lagos. Interesting places will likely depend on you, where you are and the people you meet while in Lagos. You could love the parties and events, the people, the numerous beach, the market settings, the freedom and so on. Everyday you go out and meet with Lagosians is a very unique and different experience. To me the people of Lagos is the most interesting. To enjoy Lagos more, you need to be open minded, while being cautious. When you come try to visit or stay in different area of lagos.
Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by Nobody: 9:19am On Jun 22, 2015
You are welcome to Lasgidi! Please post pics as you explore this beautiful but very hectic city.
Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by londoner: 10:59am On Jun 22, 2015
Lots of people now want to visit Nigeria. I would suggest also visiting Abuja. It is less than an hour by plane from Lagos and is a very pretty city.
Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by NthabeM: 10:57am On Jun 23, 2015
londoner:
Lots of people now want to visit Nigeria. I would suggest also visiting Abuja. It is less than an hour by plane from Lagos and is a very pretty city.

I've heard that Abuja is a really cool and beautiful place to visit and I definitely want to see it but would also love to say that I've been to Lagos as I've heard so much about that place

1 Like

Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by NthabeM: 10:59am On Jun 23, 2015
Phema:
You are welcome to Lasgidi! Please post pics as you explore this beautiful but very hectic city.

Will most definitely do so, fingers crossed that everything works out and am able to visit Lasgidi, LOL!
Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by NthabeM: 11:18am On Jun 23, 2015
ugsams:
Lagos is one fun and crazy city... Nobody can give you an analysis of Lagos and be totally correct about that. To each individual, Lagos means a different thing. Lagos is a mixture of different things even some of the things we complain of, you miss them when you're not in Lagos. Interesting places will likely depend on you, where you are and the people you meet while in Lagos. You could love the parties and events, the people, the numerous beach, the market settings, the freedom and so on. Everyday you go out and meet with Lagosians is a very unique and different experience. To me the people of Lagos is the most interesting. To enjoy Lagos more, you need to be open minded, while being cautious. When you come try to visit or stay in different area of lagos.
Thanks for the tips. When you mention a different area of Lagos, I've been told Victoria Island is a really nice area but will need to look Into my budget for that undecided . Am looking forward to creating my own experience of Lagos, discovering what Lagos means to me personally and meeting the Lagosians as you call
them cheesy
Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by londoner: 11:25am On Jun 23, 2015
NthabeM:

I've heard that Abuja is a really cool and beautiful place to visit and I definitely want to see it but would also love to say that I've been to Lagos as I've heard so much about that place

You can do both, that's why I mentioned that ABJ is less than an hour by plane from Lagos. Lagos is fun place and cosmopolitan also, but Abuja gives another side of Naija that you won't find in Lagos, but still with lots to do.

I will echo the advice of others, only stay in the best areas otherwise you will really not enjoy Lagos at all. Victoria Island, Lekki, Banana Island etc......poorer parts will only make you be and feel more unsafe if you are staying there.

1 Like

Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by ugsams(m): 11:27am On Jun 23, 2015
NthabeM:
Thanks for the tips. When you mention a different area of Lagos, I've been told Victoria Island is a really nice area but will need to look Into my budget for that undecided . Am looking forward to creating my own experience of Lagos, discovering what Lagos means to me personally and meeting the Lagosians as you call
them cheesy
Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by ugsams(m): 11:34am On Jun 23, 2015
NthabeM:
them cheesy

I'll suggest areas such as Surulere, Allen Avenue, Opebi, Isaac Jones, Adeniyi Jones, Omole, Ogba, Festac, Magodo, Ogudu, Ikoyi, Lekki, Alausa, maryland, etc

1 Like

Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by leke4ever(m): 12:41pm On Jun 23, 2015
Pls i need any lagosian 2 help me on sumtin. Kindly inbox me on leke4ever1@hotmail.com OR 55E87E80 I realy nid help 4rm any Lagosians plsssss
Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by tpiadotcom: 1:01pm On Jun 23, 2015
NthabeM:

Am not Nigerian, am a South African with a genuine interest in Nigeria

i think there's a particular church that handles south african and maybe hispanic immigration, you may want to contact them.
Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by morpheus24: 5:15pm On Jun 23, 2015
NthabeM:

Let me break your journey down piece by piece for you.

1.If you are traveling to lagos for the first time, you will need a guide or someone that knows the city well, this is paramount to you enjoying the city.

2. When you land you get off at immigration and the line for foreign passports is different from the one for Nigerians, make sure you are in the correct line. You shouldn't have too much hassle getting through immigration once your paper work is okay.

3. Once you are out of immigration, head to collect your luggage, this experience by be a little jarring and confusing but your bags will eventually come out and you can either rent a trolley or if not too heave roll them along. You will then pass customs who might stop you to ask to search your bags, its a hit or miss on this one, just stay assertive and you will have not issues.

4. When you are out of customs, you will need transportation. If you don't have someone picking you up then that's not good(this is why a guide is needed if this is your first time). There reputable transportation services in the airport, ask and they will direct you to them . Do not take a cab or respond to anyone soliciting you for their service.

5. You will pay for the cab service at the airport and tell them your destination. You want to stay in Victoria Island/Lekki on your first visit to Lagos, no exceptions. Hotel bon voyage n Victoria Island is good and I highly recommend it, There are also some good hotels within Lekki phase 1 as well, Do not opt for cheaper hotels though. If you have the money to spend, Four points for the first few nights is not bad then you can switch later on to a cheaper hotel.

6. All the nice spots are on the island, night life is abundant so pic your poison.

7.You will need transportation to get around, this is why a guide is very important on your trip, local transport for a first timer is a no no!

8. Enjoy your stay, Nigerians are very friendly people.
Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by NthabeM: 11:57am On Jun 24, 2015
tpiadotcom:

i think there's a particular church that handles south african and maybe hispanic immigration, you may want to contact them.

Will look into this. I suppose the embassy will be able to give me more info on the church. It would be great to get assistance from a church. Thanks.
Re: The Low Down On Lagos!! by NthabeM: 12:05pm On Jun 24, 2015
morpheus24:

Let me break your journey down piece by piece for you.

1.If you are traveling to lagos for the first time, you will need a guide or someone that knows the city well, this is paramount to you enjoying the city.

2. When you land you get off at immigration and the line for foreign passports is different from the one for Nigerians, make sure you are in the correct line. You shouldn't have too much hassle getting through immigration once your paper work is okay.

3. Once you are out of immigration, head to collect your luggage, this experience by be a little jarring and confusing but your bags will eventually come out and you can either rent a trolley or if not too heave roll them along. You will then pass customs who might stop you to ask to search your bags, its a hit or miss on this one, just stay assertive and you will have not issues.

4. When you are out of customs, you will need transportation. If you don't have someone picking you up then that's not good(this is why a guide is needed if this is your first time). There reputable transportation services in the airport, ask and they will direct you to them . Do not take a cab or respond to anyone soliciting you for their service.

5. You will pay for the cab service at the airport and tell them your destination. You want to stay in Victoria Island/Lekki on your first visit to Lagos, no exceptions. Hotel bon voyage n Victoria Island is good and I highly recommend it, There are also some good hotels within Lekki phase 1 as well, Do not opt for cheaper hotels though. If you have the money to spend, Four points for the first few nights is not bad then you can switch later on to a cheaper hotel.

6. All the nice spots are on the island, night life is abundant so pic your poison.

7.You will need transportation to get around, this is why a guide is very important on your trip, local transport for a first timer is a no no!

8. Enjoy your stay, Nigerians are very friendly people.

Thank you very much for this detailed explanation on what to expect. The tricky part for me may be finding a guide to accompany my sister and I on this trip unless we travel with one of our friends bases here in SA when they visit Naija but we don't know when that may be.

Am even more fascinated by the country from your description above and believe me, I have experienced first hand how friendly, cultured and humble Nigerians can be, hence my interest in visiting Nigeria smiley

(1) (Reply)

Do I Need To Do Hiv Test B4 I Can Travel And Study In Ukarine / Mexico Embassy Interview / Backpackers Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.