Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,137 members, 7,814,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

El-rufa’i Stops Free Ramadan Rice, Oil, Sugar - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / El-rufa’i Stops Free Ramadan Rice, Oil, Sugar (877 Views)

Atiku Already Running For 2019 — El-rufa’i / El-rufa’i Sacks ADC For Insurbordination / Why I Stopped Issuance Of Gifts During Ramadan, Xmas – El-rufa’i ( Vanguard) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

El-rufa’i Stops Free Ramadan Rice, Oil, Sugar by sunshine1974(m): 9:23am On Jun 20, 2015
El-Rufa’i stops free Ramadan rice, oil, sugar
on june 20, 2015 at 7:00 am in news
Facebook Share Twitter Share
By Agaju Madugba
Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufa’i, has ordered a stop to government’s free distribution of grains during fasting in the month of Ramadan.
The Governor said that his administration would not continue with what he described as the People’s Democratic Party’s culture of sharing state’s resources.
“I have been made to understand that this Ramadan period, we are supposed to have started sharing rice, milk and sugar, but we will not do that,” El-Rufa’i said yesterday at the Government House.
He spoke when the executive members of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) and Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI) visited him.
El-Rufa’i explained that he took the decision to stop the annual tradition of distribution of the products because he does not want government to be involved in religious affairs, more so, according to him, “as the government is broke.
“If his government continues in such direction, the administration will only exist to pay salaries and allowances.
“This beautiful office complex in which we are cost the government about N10 billion.
“The Deputy Governor and I would not have built this when there are many masses-oriented projects yet to be executed, but it has been built, we have to use.’’
“So, we solicit your prayers to be able to stabilise the situation and we hope that things will improve.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/el-rufai-stops-free-ramadan-rice-oil-sugar/

1 Like

Re: El-rufa’i Stops Free Ramadan Rice, Oil, Sugar by Acekidc4(m): 9:30am On Jun 20, 2015
Why Na??
Re: El-rufa’i Stops Free Ramadan Rice, Oil, Sugar by sunshine1974(m): 9:38am On Jun 20, 2015
Lol
Acekidc4:
Why Na??
Re: El-rufa’i Stops Free Ramadan Rice, Oil, Sugar by Nobody: 9:41am On Jun 20, 2015
I hereby declare d state of osun a failed state

1 Like

Re: El-rufa’i Stops Free Ramadan Rice, Oil, Sugar by funlord(m): 10:16am On Jun 20, 2015
grin After all christians no dey collect this kind things during x mas! Abeg spend the change on infrastructure jare!
Re: El-rufa’i Stops Free Ramadan Rice, Oil, Sugar by akoaki(m): 10:44am On Jun 20, 2015
If the governor actually did that, he deserves some commendation for courage and willingness to change the staus quo in kaduna state, contrary to what is going on in his neighboring state.

1 Like

Re: El-rufa’i Stops Free Ramadan Rice, Oil, Sugar by kenny987(f): 10:57am On Jun 20, 2015
I hope Buhari and his team will see the need to implement same at Federal level by disbanding the so called Pilgrimage boards. Religious faith is personal and should remain so. The duty of the government is to ensure a harmonious/enabling environment so that people can exist side-by-side with each other in PEACE! Not killing others who don't share same faith with tacitly obvious government support!
Re: El-rufa’i Stops Free Ramadan Rice, Oil, Sugar by kromoto: 11:11am On Jun 20, 2015
It was a fraud in the first place! Is it the state that sends people to fast? Why must the state carry the personal/religious burden of the citizens? Have they ever done same for Christians?

Politicians just use this as a platform to massage their acceptance by the people but thank God El rufai has stood for justice and fairness.

Let him also stop Govt sponsored pilgrimage to Mecca.
Re: El-rufa’i Stops Free Ramadan Rice, Oil, Sugar by TheOtherview: 11:23am On Jun 20, 2015
El-Rufai is a man who arrived in his current office fully prepared for the job.
In a nation that is replete with individuals of his caliber, it is hard to understand why the Nigerian electorate continues voting in inept politicians elsewhere.

Does anyone else recall reading his detailed analysis of state budgets across the six geo-political zones, back in 2012?

Kaduna’s Not So Disappointing Budget - El Rufai

25 May 2012
... ...
... ...
The Kaduna state government has prepared ‘2012-2014 draft multi-year estimates' that hopes to drive economic and social development if the state through sound financial planning. However, the 272-page document falls short of boldly facing the real developmental challenges of the state as the capital expenditure plans for 2012 to 2014 are not up to the developing country target of assigning 70% of total budget. It is this statement of the government’s intentions that we will take analyze.

The 2012 budget for the state is N154,331,452,763, an increase of 13.01% or N17.7bn over 2011’s budget of N136,564,380,343. The 2012 budget has N85bn or 55% as capital expenditure, and N69.3bn or 45% as recurrent expenditure. Analyzing the recurrent budget further, N29.5bn or 19% of the total budget is for personnel costs, N26.5bn or 17% of the total budget is for overheads, while N8bn or 5% set aside for to service the state's public debt left behind by earlier administrations. The State has budgeted N950 million as the revenue contribution to local government councils, as required by law. Kaduna is the only state whose budget specifically provided for this. Governor Yakowa is also said to be the only governor of the state ever that does not divert local government allocations, and if true, should be strongly commended.

Kaduna’s IGR estimate for 2012 is N35.7bn, an increase of N22.9bn as against the states IGR of N12.8bn in 2011. Looking at the details of the budget, while it is not clear what factors will be responsible for this huge leap, a contributor might be the revenue from the ministry of lands and survey which is projected to increase from N409.9 million in 2011 to N6bn in 2012, and the state's Board of Internal Revenue which hopes to raise inflows from N9.4bn in 2011 to N24bn in 2012. The budgeted personnel costs of N29.5bn as against its IGR of N35.7bn demonstrates that Kaduna is capable of paying its staff salaries even without monthly federal allocations, so is not one of the "parastatal states", but with only N6.2bn left for overhead costs, it needs to slim down the size and cost of government and learn to live within its means.

The budget would be financed from N35.7bn as IGR, N48bn from federation account, N8bn as VAT, N500 million as privatization proceeds, and nearly N3bn from land related levies and other sundry sources. Kaduna State plans to borrow a total of N14bn from domestic and external lenders this year, and expects another N13.7bn as grants-in-aid from abroad and federal agencies like UBEC and ETF. Kaduna has enjoyed significant federation account allocations in the past: N39.5bn in 2011, and an estimated N48bn in 2012. Indeed over a period of 9 years from 1999 to 2008, Kaduna state received the second highest FAAC transfers of N232.49bn, amongst the states in the North. This is substantial and could yield results if prudently managed and well-spent.

The sectoral summary of the budget shows that capital expenditure budget apportioned the economic sector N30.2bn or 36%, the social sector N24bn or 28%, Regional Development got N16bn or 18% and General Administration assigned N14.7bn or 17%. The State Government needs to revisit these ratios to assign more money for the social sector - particularly health, education and scholarships for citizens of the state studying in higher institutions.

Kaduna state should quite easily lead all states in the North Western region in educational attainment; after all, the state is referred to as the ‘Center of Learning’, and it is. There are at least 20 institutions of higher learning and research in the state, including three premier military training institutions. The state has N10.9bn budgeted for education in 2012, as opposed to N11.1bn in the previous year including N500m for the expansion and rehabilitation of existing schools, a pathetic N94 million for Almajiri and CAN schools, a low N96 million for teachers' quarters and NYSC orientation camp improvement, paltry N5million for expanding libraries, and N967 million for the construction of 136 units of classrooms.

According to the NBS 2010 National Literacy Survey, Kaduna has a youth literacy rate of 67.3% as opposed to Sokoto’s 33.1% and Kebbi’s 50.2%, an adult literacy rate of 53.5% as opposed to Sokoto’s 22.1% and Kebbi’s 29.1%. According to this survey, the North Central has the highest adult literacy levels with 56.4%, followed by the North East with 42%, and the North West with 31.7%.

Read more

1 Like

Re: El-rufa’i Stops Free Ramadan Rice, Oil, Sugar by sunshine1974(m): 1:12pm On Jun 20, 2015
Yes, I agree with u 100percent
kenny987:
I hope Buhari and his team will see the need to implement same at Federal level by disbanding the so called Pilgrimage boards. Religious faith is personal and should remain so. The duty of the government is to ensure a harmonious/enabling environment so that people can exist side-by-side with each other in PEACE! Not killing others who don't share same faith with tacitly obvious government support!
Re: El-rufa’i Stops Free Ramadan Rice, Oil, Sugar by sunshine1974(m): 1:13pm On Jun 20, 2015
Yes I remembered d article
TheOtherview:
El-Rufai is a man who arrived in his current office fully prepared for the job.
In a nation that is replete with individuals of his caliber, it is hard to understand why the Nigerian electorate continues voting in inept politicians elsewhere.

Does anyone else recall reading his detailed analysis of state budgets across the six geo-political zones, back in 2012?

Read more
Re: El-rufa’i Stops Free Ramadan Rice, Oil, Sugar by sunshine1974(m): 1:15pm On Jun 20, 2015
I trust he will stop dat too. But soon enough d imams will soon be calling for his head
kromoto:
It was a fraud in the first place! Is it the state that sends people to fast? Why must the state carry the personal/religious burden of the citizens? Have they ever done same for Christians?

Politicians just use this as a platform to massage their acceptance by the people but thank God El rufai has stood for justice and fairness.

Let him also stop Govt sponsored pilgrimage to Mecca.
Re: El-rufa’i Stops Free Ramadan Rice, Oil, Sugar by sunshine1974(m): 1:16pm On Jun 20, 2015
Why?
OREMUSSANCTUS:
I hereby declare d state of osun a failed state

(1) (Reply)

Why Should Buhari Appoint An Hausa As Inec Boss / Fighting In Rivers State As Apc And Pdp Thugs Clash Over LGA Disolving(pix) / Baba Bubu Must Legalize Gays ???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.