Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,471 members, 7,812,449 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:32 PM

Are We Permitted To Make Graven Images Or Not? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are We Permitted To Make Graven Images Or Not? (331 Views)

What Is The Difference Between Worshiping An Idol And Christian Graven Image? / When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? / "Behold, I Have Graven Thee Upon The Palms Of My Hands." (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are We Permitted To Make Graven Images Or Not? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:24am On Jun 20, 2015
Should you make graven images or not?

Exodus 20:4-5, Leviticus 26:1; Deuteronomy 5:8; 27:15 and Exodus 25:18; 37:7-8

Shall not make graven images:

"You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. "You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me" (Exodus 20:4-5).

"You shall not make for yourselves idols, nor shall you set up for yourselves an image or a sacred pillar, nor shall you place a figured stone in your land to bow down to it; for I am the Lord your God" (Leviticus 26:1).

"You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth" (Deuteronomy 5:8.)

"Cursed is the man who makes an idol or a molten image, an abomination to the Lord, the work of the hands of the craftsman, and sets it up in secret.’ And all the people shall answer and say, 'Amen.'" (Deuteronomy 27:15).

Shall make graven images:

"And you shall make two cherubim of gold, make them of hammered work at the two ends of the mercy seat" (Exodus 25:18.)

"And he made two cherubim of gold; he made them of hammered work, at the two ends of the mercy seat; one cherub at the one end, and one cherub at the other end; he made the cherubim of one piece with the mercy seat at the two ends" (Exodus 37:7-8.) See also, Exodus 26:1, 31; 36:8; 1 Kings 6:23-35.

(1) (Reply)

Picking/selecting The Right Church / The Enemy Firsthand / Cynicism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.