Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,062 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ (2605 Views)

7 Ministers Buhari May Sack Soon / Why I Delayed Signing Of 2016 Budget – Buhari / “I Don’t Know Why People Are Anxious For Ministers” – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by ochejoseph(m): 11:18am On Jun 20, 2015
Why I Delayed the Appointment of Ministers - Buhari (1984)

By CLIFFORD D. MAY‎
Published: January 19, 1984

LAGOS, Nigeria, Jan. 18— Nigeria's new leader, Maj. Gen. Mohammed Buhari, swore in the members of his Cabinet today, warning them that the ruling Supreme Military Council ''will keep a keen and watchful eye on your performance, your style of life and general public conduct while in office.''
He said the new administration, which came to power after the overthrow of the civilian Government of President Shehu Shagari on Dec. 31, ''will not tolerate fraud, indiscipline, corruption, squandermania, misuse and abuse of public office for self or group aggrandizement and other vices which characterize the civilian administration of the past four years.''
Of the 18 ministers named, only 7 are career military men. The proportion surprised some Western diplomats here but essentially accorded with statements by Mr. Buhari in an interview on Tuesday in which he said ''only a small number'' of military officers would be named to top political posts.
Apparently responding to criticism in the Nigerian press over the pace of decision-making under the new military regime, Mr. Buhari said that ''the appointment of ministers has taken us some time because we had to undertake a deep search for competent Nigerians of proven integrity, a high sense of discipline, public probity and transparent honesty.'' According to some Nigerian and Western sources, several candidates for portfolios were reluctant to accept appointment until the stability and direction of the new Government became apparent.
A senior Western diplomatic source said most of the ministers named today ''are not particularly well known.'' Other sources added that they perceived no particular ideological bent among them. A diplomat said many appeared to be ''lesser lights with provincial rather than federal experience.''
Named to the key position of Minister of Finance was Dr. Onaolapo Soleye, who said that he had most recently been teaching industrial sociology at the University of Ibadan and that he had served in an earlier military government as a commissioner of industries and in the Ministry of Finance.
Dr. Soleye declined to comment on substantive policy matters, saying he had not had time to study the situation.
The new Minister of Petroleum and Energy is Prof. Tam David-West, a biologist by training and a former commissioner of education in Rivers State.
Asked about his prior experience in the oil industry, he said he was ''well versed in the issues.'' He, too, declined to discuss policies or plans.
A leading Nigerian businessman who has known Professor David-West said: ''He was probably picked because he is tough and something of a disciplinarian. A headmaster type, not easy to get along with.''
The new Minister of External Affairs is Dr. Ibrahim Gambari, who served most recently as director general of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs, having been appointed by former President Shagari. Dr. Gambari, the 40-year-old son of an emir, received a Ph.D. in international relations from Columbia University in New York in 1974. The swearing-in ceremony took place in a wood-paneled conference room in a military compound in the Lagos suburb of Ikoyi.
Each appointee read an ''oath of allegiance'' followed by an ''oath of office.'' A section of the oath of office pledged that ''I will not allow my personal interests to influence my official conduct or my official decisions.''
Addressing the ministers after the ceremony, General Buhari said each would be expected to declare his assets within six weeks and to complete by the end of April a ''critical review'' of all projects and programs under way within their ministries.
He said the new administration must ''curb the monstrous effects of a grossly mismanaged economy, galloping inflation and insure that food and other essential commodities are readily available at the easy reach of the ordinary citizen.

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/01/19/world/cabinet-in-nigeria-installed-with-a-warning.html?smid=tw-share

1 Like

Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by MosakuAW(m): 11:20am On Jun 20, 2015
I read this topic more that 2 times i still dont get how this is related to now.

Anyway i gained some old new story in reading.

Thank you
Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by MzJackBaueress(f): 11:22am On Jun 20, 2015
So what's the essence of the topic? The title doesn't even blend with the topic.

All these TANoids who are suffering from Buhariphobia,may God have mercy on you.

Mtscheeew!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by chamboy(m): 11:23am On Jun 20, 2015
Taniods

1 Like

Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by Nobody: 11:24am On Jun 20, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
So what's the essence of the topic? The title doesn't even blend with the topic.

All these TANoids who are suffering from Buhariphobia,may God have mercy on you.

Mtscheeew!
Screw u
Screw Buhari

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by ochejoseph(m): 11:25am On Jun 20, 2015
MzJackBaueress:

Mtscheeew!

You are so full of hate that you never bothered to read the article before commenting, Now run long or better still read the article and delete the, Rubbish you posted above

2 Likes

Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by MzJackBaueress(f): 11:28am On Jun 20, 2015
ochejoseph:

You are so full of hate that you never bothered to read the article before commenting, Now run long or better still read the article and delete the, Rubbish you posted above

Oche Joseph,when will you retire from Nairaland just as Ifeanyichukwu aka Sincere9gerian has done?
Stop sulking and accept the fact that President M. Buhari will be your president for 4years.

Enjoy your weekend!

grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by Nobody: 11:36am On Jun 20, 2015
Lips sealed

2 Likes

Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by tucky200(m): 11:36am On Jun 20, 2015
Okay
Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by ochejoseph(m): 11:37am On Jun 20, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
Oche Joseph,when will you retire from Nairaland just as Ifeanyichukwu aka Sincere9gerian has done?
Stop sulking and accept the fact that President M. Buhari will be your president for 4years.

Enjoy your weekend!

grin grin

I wish Buhari well and pray Nigeria prosper under Him, The elections are over and like GEJ will always Say Nigeria's interest is greater than anyone's personal interest.

When I joined NL you were probably in primary school so asking me to retire or leave a social platform because the candidate I supported lost an election is simply laughable.

I wish you well

1 Like

Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by NeduLuiZ(m): 11:38am On Jun 20, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:

Screw u
Screw Buhari
poorly raised angry

1 Like

Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by MzJackBaueress(f): 11:48am On Jun 20, 2015
ochejoseph:

I wish Buhari well and pray Nigeria prosper under Him, The elections are over and like GEJ will always Say Nigeria's interest is greater than anyone's personal interest.

When I joined NL you were probably in primary school so asking me to retire or leave a social platform because the candidate I supported lost an election is simply laughable.

I wish you well
bwahahahahahaha!!

Ok bro,this is berem your good friend. How are you doing sir? grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by adamskutty(m): 12:31pm On Jun 20, 2015
Lalasticlala food is ready ooo!
Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by Ahmed4002(m): 12:35pm On Jun 20, 2015
Rashin
Aiki.

grin
Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by steph2sweet(f): 1:35pm On Jun 20, 2015
Story
Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by worksmart(m): 2:32pm On Jun 20, 2015
Did he also make foreign trips without appointing ministers in 1984?

Or fail to appear to inaugurate his own NAss?

Or fail to move into the presidential residence?
Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:50pm On Jun 20, 2015
Two things are key here, competence and discipline.
God bless the President.

1 Like

Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by bamite(m): 2:52pm On Jun 20, 2015
I will comment but ayam cumin
Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:58pm On Jun 20, 2015
worksmart:
Did he also make foreign trips without appointing ministers in 1984?

Or fail to appear to inaugurate his own NAss?

Or fail to move into the presidential residence?
Oponu, there was no NASS in the military government of Buhari. The Supreme Military Council was the highest law making body.

God bless the President.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by worksmart(m): 3:14pm On Jun 20, 2015
Who told you there was no NAss?
OrlandoOwoh:

Oponu, there is no NASS in the military government of Buhari. The Supreme Military Council was the highest law making body.

God bless the President.
Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by jerflakes(m): 3:23pm On Jun 20, 2015
MzJackBaueress:

Mtscheeew!

Berem you don come again.
Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by mensdept: 3:25pm On Jun 20, 2015
You see, 1984 we are talking, and clueless Nigerians wanted this coup plotter from the 80s to come back today. Una no get shame?
Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by Dannyset(m): 3:29pm On Jun 20, 2015
Even in his Khaki he's been a good man. He becomes better in this agbada govt now. Thank God we didn't trade him for a mediocre.
Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jun 20, 2015
mensdept:
You see, 1984 we are talking, and clueless Nigerians wanted this coup plotter from the 80s to come back today. Una no get shame?

Look who's talking..If you can't live with the fact that buhari is now your president, just go and jump in to the "lagoon" Oponu!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by Saheed9: 3:50pm On Jun 20, 2015
so its his usual style
Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by ZeroTolerance: 4:00pm On Jun 20, 2015
After all the delay, his government turned out to be a rubbish and short lived one. It's unfortunate that Nigerians are allowing the same thing to happen again.
Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by chumakk: 4:13pm On Jun 20, 2015
Buhari is a consistent man. After 31 years he is still the same man. Haters, can you be the same man or woman for just 31 days?

1 Like

Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by moniherbs: 5:13pm On Jun 20, 2015
It is good to serve God in good health..Contact us @ MONI HERBS AND HERBAL NIG. LTD(RC990497). A registered herbal company for treatment of all kinds of disease be it physical or spiritual like:Weak Erection,Premature
Ejaculationn,infections,Low Libido,SmallOrgan,Chronic Pile,Fibroid,Barrenness,Diabetes,Asthma,Rheumatism,Menstrual Disorder,Hypertension,Ulcer,Private part diseases,High blood pressure,skin & teeth problems,looking for spouse,spiritual attacks etc..HEALTH is WEALTH
We cure, God heals. We will stun ur imagination and our treatments are with Guarantee. We send prepared solution to our clients within and outside the country.
Contact MONI HERBS AND HERBAL NIGERIA LTD @ Monilola House, 10 Sunny Alebiosu Street behind Ikotun BRT Terminus Iyana Ipaja Lagos.
Tel: 08034567342(Whatsapp/Calls), 01-7602715 BBerry:2BA66591 E-mail:moniherbsandherbal@gmail.com
Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by interpaspot(m): 5:20pm On Jun 20, 2015
worksmart:
Who told you there was no NAss?
you meant there was nass assembly during millitary regime or you meant to say PRC(provisional ruling council)
Re: Why I Delayed The Appointment Of Ministers - Buhari (1984) NY Times ‎ by horlabiyi(m): 11:34pm On Jun 20, 2015
SB incase

(1) (Reply)

What Will You Do If Your Sister Dresses Like This To Church??? / Police Parade Killers Of Delta Ubulu-uku Monarch-photo / Rumour Taken Too Far About Patience Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.