Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,468 members, 7,819,715 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

Once Upon A Time - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Once Upon A Time (23774 Views)

A Time To Kill By John Grisham Review / A Time That Died - A Short Story / Sisi - A Once Upon A Time Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Once Upon A Time by drippingink3: 11:38am On Jan 06, 2016
Just Say Make I Make My Debut.

There stillness and all was calm in the dimly lighted room. The only sound that occupied the room, were the breathing of three bundles lying on the floor in the corner. Smell of cold fire and smoke still hanged in the small room. One of the bundle stir, then sneezed. All were still again.

2 Likes

Re: Once Upon A Time by Royver(m): 10:04pm On Jan 11, 2016
"We got them sir! We got the criminals!"

Detective Paul walked out from behind a tree even as his heavily armed men dragged the bodies of the four youth from the undergrowth and arranged them in a row before him. Their chests heaved heavily as the effects of the special gas keot them in an unconscious state. He studied the bodies one by one and paused when he came to the girls.

"who are these ones?" He asked. One of the armed men came forward and pointed at Bisi.

"I heard her discussing with them, its possible she's part of thier gang. This other girl," he pointed at Joy, "was the one they wanted to rape today."

"She should thank her lucky stars, then." Detective paul said and pulled out a cigarette from his pocket. He tapped it a couple of times on his palm then lit it and took a long drag, puffing the smoke into the air. For a moment there was silence in the bushes.

"Sir," One of the men asked, "Sir are we still doing this? What do we do about the girls?"

"Leave that one here," He said, pointing at Joy. "The effect of the rain will soon revive her and she can find her way home. Carry the others to our pre-arranged site."

The men nodded and carried out his orders. Desmond, Michael and Bisi were carried easily by one man each, while Joy was placed comfortably under a tree to recover. As the men disappeared into the bush Detective Paul took one last glance at Joy.

"Don't worry Jolande," he said smiling at her and seeing his daughter instead. "They won't hurt you ever again."

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Once Upon A Time by drollster(m): 4:45am On Jan 12, 2016
Happy new year , Royver. Great to see you writing again.
Re: Once Upon A Time by Royver(m): 7:10am On Jan 12, 2016
drollster:
Happy new year , Royver. Great to see you writing again.
Same to you boss. Its been an age.

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A Time by Royver(m): 7:11am On Jan 12, 2016
Emeka looked on from his hideaway in the bushes, his heart pounding heavily in his chest. Who were those heavily armed men and what did they want with Bisi? He thought of running out to challenge them like the heroes he usually saw in the movies but the sight of the thick muscular men and their guns melted away his courage. He watched them pick up the unconscious bodies, glad that they had left Joy alone at least. Their Boss looked like a reasonable enough person with his clean native attire and calm demeanor. He wondered how the man hadn’t been made wet by the rain and decided that he had been under an umbrella or something.

He waited until he was sure they had gone then he ran out and grabbed Joy, shaking her by the shoulders. She moaned and sat up for a moment then bent over again and vomited on the ground.

“Joy! Joy!! Are you alright? What happened? Who were those men? Joy!” He whispered.

Joy felt like she was in a deep ocean struggling to come out. Her head swam and her limbs shook like they were made of jelly. She recognized
Emeka’s voice and swam towards it, towards consciousness.

“Joy! Joy wake up na!” Emeka pleaded. He got up and tried to carry her but she was so weak and limp she was like a dead weight and he had to put her down again. Emeka held his head in his hands, his thoughts clashing against one another in confusion. Shoud he carry her out or run like before for help? Those vigilantes looked like they would sleep till kingdom come. What about Bisi? He didn’t care so much for the boys, they would get what they deserved for all he cared, but what about his crush? Should he quickly try and follow the men to at least see where they were taking her? And if he did, what would happen to Joy?

“Emeka…” he looked at Joy as she called out to him feebly.

“Don’t leave me.”

He decided to do as she had asked and sat down beside her.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Once Upon A Time by Royver(m): 10:20am On Jan 13, 2016
Eye looked around in despair as the fire continued to rage around her. How it had gotten so huge so quickly she couldn't understand. She lay beside her bed crying and coughing as the air gradually became hotter and more stifling. Where was emeka? Where was her father? It suddenly occurred to her that she could die in the flames and she trembled violently as her whole life flashed before her eyes.

"God please spare my life! " she whimpered. " I'll change, I promise I will! "

Her pleas and subsequent screams went unheard as the ceiling caught fire above her.

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A Time by drippingink3: 10:26am On Jan 13, 2016
Bisi slowly opened her eyes, the room was dimly lighted. Where was she, she wonder. She turned her head to the left, someone was lying next to her, Michael, her head whispered to her. What he doing lying beside her.
Someone took a deep breath beside her and when she turned, she saw Desmond.
"O my God!" She gasped as she struggled to get up, but her legs were bound, so were her hands.
Did they...did he touch me, Bisi thought has she scaned herself for any sign of been 'touched.'
Bisi started struggling furiously. Her eye had adjusted to the dimly lited room.
They were lined against the wall facing the entrance to the room, sun ray crawled inside the room from the space beneath the door.
For how long had she been asleep.
She looked around the bare room, for a clue, anything that will tell her were she was and how manage she got here.
The four walls of the room were filled with graffiti. The graffiti that stood out and send cold into her body was the one written beside the door that read: WELCOME TO PURGATORY

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Once Upon A Time by Royver(m): 10:43am On Jan 13, 2016
Somewhere deep in the recesses of Detective Paul's mind he knew he was going insane. It was like a deep dark problem he knew was in front of him but kept pushing further to solve at a later date. Right now he needed to punish the people who had raped and brutalized his daughter three weeks ago. He wasn't sure if these boys were the exact ones but they would do. To teach any others a lesson they would never forget. He took another puff from his cigarette and grasped his pocket suddenly as he felt the phone in it vibrate. It was a text message from his sister asking when he would come and see his son. Detective Paul sighed and replied with a single word : "Soon".

After he was through dealing with these criminals in his own special way he would feel better, he knew it. Then he could face the world again. Then he could face jolade and his dear son. Maybe if he told her that her attackers had been brutally killed, maybe if he showed her pictures, maybe then she would talk again. Maybe then she would get better and be discharged from Psychiatric care.

But then a dark thought crossed his mind. What if it didn't work? What if she saw the pictures and still wasn't satisfied?

Detective Paul paused for a moment and sighed as he watched his men carry the criminals deeper into the forest.

Well, if it didn't work he would have to keep trying.

4 Likes

Re: Once Upon A Time by Royver(m): 10:55am On Jan 13, 2016
Beautifully done drippingink3, our thots are literally on the same page. Well done. Let me know if u want to continue.
Re: Once Upon A Time by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 9:56pm On Jan 13, 2016
I had nothing doing, ergo, I decided to return to the flock - though I never left. Pardon this piece; it might kind of turn you off. I'm not in too good a mood myself. Let's jolly in this.

Eye screamed really clarion, her vericose veins pulsating and swelling like a frog blazing cigar. Her eyes widened and her body felt like a rowdy but miraculously bounded pack of sachets having fun in fire. Her heart drifted away and only her soul kept her around. The fire had chopped off the ceiling and her eyes could see the sky, her pupils getting dimmer with each passing second. Her ears developed abilities and they picked up sounds that terrified her. Sounds like the gnashing of teeth in hell; like the piercing screams that'd always accompany the tearing off of the veins of a living person; like the sounds that dead bodies made in her dreams. Mucus streamed out of nostrils ceaselessly; the salty taste dripping to the corners of her wordy mouth. The fire had engulfed her surroundings already, she could perceive the smell of the prada bag she had gotten on the nudiustertain and her will to weep ebbed as though a piece of paper wadding through the Niger.

To drown, it was believed one needed to have had the three gasps but to burn? It was believed one's body would get thoroughly exposed to a very high intensity of dangerous energy. One's face would be swollen like the bolus of a lazing tortoise and one's mutilation would serve a nice place in horror movies but, most importantly, one's evil filled heart and soul would be completely cleansed and chastised, each second inflicting the highest degree of pain one could ever experience. If one was to be like skewed meat, one's death was certainly not great! This dint of purification had often been held in esteems by some, after all, it was better to rotten on earth than in a life many referred to as the hereafter. The fire closed on Eye and the neat pieces of furnitures around her said their byes. Her rainment wasn't solid and it made the job easier. The orange tongues caught her tight and drew her close, her screams went up to the highest, her soul journeyed ahead of her and, soon enough, her skin smelt like roasted chicken. Eye had gotten burnt. Emeka was definitely the type of brother many would pray to have. Who wouldn't want a friend that would want death for her in a purifying way.

I hope I didn't turn out too raw. I just don't feel like writing a nice piece.
Re: Once Upon A Time by emyblinkx(m): 12:18am On Jan 14, 2016
dis is rubbish,,,it stopped following from where it stopped
Re: Once Upon A Time by emyblinkx(m): 12:21am On Jan 14, 2016
Eye stared in amazement as Bisi sprang up from the sofa like a scoffed lion, grabbed the glass vase on the centre table with both hands, aimed it, and instantly launched it towards her head. It would have hit her left eye if not the one inch distance that fate produced to separate a wide bewildered eye from it's doom. The glass vase crashed into the wall behind the sofa with a noisy smash and little pieces of maroon coloured ceramic and artificial roses made of cotton scattered on the floor.

Eye remained in her seat frozen; she couldn't fathom the shocking episode that just transpired. She looked longingly at Bisi's eyes - eyes that burned with anger, hatred and fury searching for answers but Bisi's loud emotion-laden voice broke the brief devilish silence:

"Who do you think you are? You can do me nothing, Eye! You keep threatening and tormenting me just because I didn't agree to carry out the evil you wanted me to carry out for you? Do you think I am like the other girls you push about?" Bisi howled at her, almost in tears.

Eye remained in her position; she was transfixed. She couldn't bring herself to believe that one of the girls of the Loyal Hoes - a fraternity that came to life from her own sweat, and hers alone - could be this daring. But yet again, Bisi broke the silence with her raised voice, now with tears streaming down her face unhindered:

"I asked you a question, Eye. Don't stare at me like a dummy!" she screamed and immediately took another step - a bold one - towards Eye, the most dreaded young lady in the whole vicinity. Fuelled by impulse, rather than any premeditation, Bisi grabbed Eye's throat and wrapped her delicate hands tightly around it, clutching it. Eye let out a muffled scream and struggled with Bisi's bony hands for seconds before she could yank them free, but by then, it was already too late; Bisi's hands were already covered in blood. Bisi staggered back at the sight.

"No" Bisi screamed on and on and when she jerked up from her bed, with beads of sweat dripping from her forehead, she was still screaming. With a thumping chest, she instantly checked herself in the bedroom mirror beside her. She checked her neck, but there was no blood there. She rubbed her hands on her neck and checked her hands, but there was no blood still. It was all but a dream.

Just then, Emeka rushed into the room still struggling to get his shorts on in time to meet her sister in front of the mirror. The shout had woken him up and he had decided that his sister probably had an accident on her way to the bathroom, but when she saw her sitting comfortably in front of a mirror, he stared at her with an arched eyebrow, bewildered.

"What was that nonsense shout about?" He asked, unable to hide the irritation in his voice.

"It was a nightmare. Haven't you heard about nightmares? Then, what are you doing in my room at this time of the night? Can't you see I'm almost naked? The last time I checked, I'm not your girlfriend. So, now, get out!"

"You're mad - very mad." he muttered and walked out.

Eye weak from her 'nightmare' slowly walked to the bedside table and picked up her phone - a Blackberry Bold 5 she got as a gift from one of her numerous magas on her birthday. She was boiling. She scrolled through her WhatsApp contacts and found who she was looking for and that was Michael.

"Look, boy. Your work has increased; you won't be helping me deal with only Joy, but also Bisi" she typed and sent it.

Apparently, this Michael was awake, as Eye got a reply only a few seconds later:

"I no understand. No be she suppose lead Joy come meet her death? She no be your friend again?" he asked in pidgin.

"That was then, Michael, not anymore!" she replied and instantly long-pressed on the power button, and fell back asleep.

it wasnt supposed to start from here
Re: Once Upon A Time by drippingink3: 12:14pm On Jan 16, 2016
Detective Paul put the tenth stick of cigar from the second packet into his mouth and light with the lighter he removed moved from his pocket. He sucked the cigar with all his and held his breath for some seconds before letting the smoke out.
He look at cigarette in his hand, he had gone too far. He promised his dying wife to give up the habit. He had kept it so far until, until those bastard raped his daughter. He threw the cigarette away from him. He held his almost bald head as he slide to the rough fall, his back against the wall, rubbing his head violently.
It was all his fault. If only he had been more attentive to his daughter, he would have notice the change, he would have stop this from happening. All because of a work he don't have any more. He had gave it his all. Now, he was a fugitive.
His dead wife would be angry where ever she is; he had failed. He had fail wolfly. First as a husband, now as a father. But he had it all work out. He was going to make amends. Starting with those youth in his purgatory.
Re: Once Upon A Time by drippingink3: 12:24pm On Jan 16, 2016
[color=#000099][/color][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
[/quote] LET'S GO THERE.
LET'S GO THERE.
[quote]
LET'S GO THERE.
Re: Once Upon A Time by mcsnup: 12:19pm On Feb 14, 2016
wow...you guys are superb, Mr Roy. It,s time to nail it
Re: Once Upon A Time by Opeoluwa99(f): 1:37pm On Feb 15, 2016
Gud work guys
Luv this
Re: Once Upon A Time by drippingink3: 10:14pm On Mar 07, 2016
Here we go. Taking another swing.
______
Detective Paul finally stood up, after doing what was an abomination for a man to do in the public. His face went back to their default setting, harden eyes that blazed with fire with his teeth clenched together. He smacked his buttocks as he exited his abode, squinted his eyes against the brightness of the sun. He stood in front of his balcony for a moment to examine the works of his brain.

Detective Paul abode, refered to as The Eagles Nest (T.E.N), sat down on a hill located at the centre of the hide out. From there Paul could see everything that happened in the camp. From here he could see the he could see the mess hall, the armory, the living quaters and the toilet. The camp was surround by a mountain that was hidden by a dense forest.

After he was declared fugitive, he stumbled into this place and then turn it to his refuge and fortress. This was his home now, where he stays when he was not visiting his daughter. And speaking of his daughter, Detective...

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A Time by drippingink3: 11:27pm On Mar 07, 2016
...And speaking of his daughter, Jolade, Detective Paul remembered the criminals that were in his costudy in one of the houses in the living quaters.

Paul set lips turned into a smile.

He was going to teach those bastards a lesson and probably, just probably make Jolade feel better. He came down from the eagles nest, and entered into a waiting jeep that took him to the living quaters. He stopped infront of a building that had the sign, holding, placed above the entrance. Two men, weilding AK 47, were standing guard. They saluted as Paul approached. He nodded at them and pushed the door open.

An incandescent bulb was swinging from the ceiling of the corridor. There were six doors, three on either side. Paul walked to the last one on the left and opened it wide. The light from the bulb in the corridor showed the outline of three persons. The one in the middle was sitting upright, while the other bundles had not still recovered from the effect of the tear gas.

It was time to get started.
Re: Once Upon A Time by drippingink3: 6:24pm On Mar 20, 2016
Once upon a time, Eye was alive, plotting the death of another.

Once upon a time, Emeka had a sister, a crush and a home.

Once upon a time, Bisi was a free bird.

Once upon a time, Michael thought he had a heart of stone, incapable of feeling.

Once upon a time, Desmond was the biggest and badest wolf in the wood, fearless.

Once upon a time, Detective Paul was an upright man, he would not tolorate crime in any way.

But they changed, like everything on earth subjected to time. Just like water, when placed in certain conditions change.

___

Emeka was dumb-founded. As he stood infront of what was once his home Emeka brain was scrubed clean, his sense of reason had halted. All he could do was gape at the burnt down building from which wisp smoke was rising from.

It was in the early hours of the morning, Emeka had left Joy at the hospital to come and freshen up before he went back to the hospital when he saw a crowd gathering in front of his house.
Re: Once Upon A Time by drippingink3: 11:03pm On Aug 04, 2016
He rushed forward, elbowing his way through the crowd and when he finally got to the front, strength failed him.

Emeka started regaining his senses. The impact of what was before him hit him like a slegde.

" Jesus!" He shouted attracting peoples attention. " I am finished o. My sister, where is my sister?" Emeka asked running into the burnt building. Those that were near him ran after him and held him pulling him away from the building.

" What of my sister? Where is my sister?" Emeka asked struggling to free him self.

" Am sorry but she didn't make it. The fire service came too late." one of the men that was holding him said

Emeka stopped struggling and stared at the person that spoke. Like a cat pouncing on a rat, Emeka flew at the man, raining blows on him. It took a long time to pry Emeka of the man. When they succeeded Emeka drenched in sweat, breathing heavy. The other man was cover in bruises. Then, without warning, Emeka lost concoiusness.
Re: Once Upon A Time by Nobody: 8:42am On Aug 05, 2016
lol
Re: Once Upon A Time by missuniverse(f): 2:16pm On Aug 07, 2016
where is Royver??
Re: Once Upon A Time by Wane2: 9:13pm On May 28, 2017
why was this story not continued it was getting interesting

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A Time by drippingink3: 8:31am On Aug 14, 2017
Bisi froze in fear at the silhouette of a man standing in the door way.
Re: Once Upon A Time by ninja4life(m): 5:45pm On Dec 24, 2017
drippingink3:
Bisi froze in fear at the silhouette of a man standing in the door way.
nice one bro.
can you continue the story?
Re: Once Upon A Time by Nobody: 5:04pm On Dec 18, 2018
"please don't hurt me" with trembling lips Bisi said when she saw a huge man walk into the room.
He walk and sat on the only chair in the room at the far end. Then He brought out a cigarette and lit it.
"please don't hurt me Sir, where am I?" Bisi manage to say till weak from the effect of gas.
After taking a long drag from the cigar holding his breath and letting the smoke exit through his nose "welcome to my PURGATORY"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Reunion....(A Short Story) / Nneka Arimah, Chikodili Emelumadu & Arinze Ifeakandu Nominated For Caine Prize / Emmanuel Okoli

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.