Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,191 members, 7,839,045 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

Can An Atheist Be Superstitious? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can An Atheist Be Superstitious? (986 Views)

Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Debate An Atheist / How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can An Atheist Be Superstitious? by NumberOne2(m): 8:32pm On Jun 20, 2015
Google Definitions:

Atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
Superstition: excessively credulous belief in and reverence for supernatural beings.
Re: Can An Atheist Be Superstitious? by engrtemmyy: 8:33pm On Jun 20, 2015
Since we have spiritual atheists, yes.

Why patronise me? I give you a free 6 month maintenance on installations, my installations are very neat with no lose cables, I have testimonials from famous nairalanders I can give you upon request.

Contact me for the installation of your CCTV cameras or intercom(PABX): BBM:2B9BC38B
Re: Can An Atheist Be Superstitious? by johnydon22(m): 8:55pm On Jun 20, 2015
Let us clear this once and for all. . .
Atheism means only one thing and that is exactly what you posted on your op
DISBELIEF IN DEITIES and that is all. . .
you can believe that big foot exist, spiderman exist, unicorns, vampires exists. . . the only thing that labels someone an atheist is disbelief in gods

bro the supernatural beings you added to the definition of superstition isn't there from the google which you got that definition from, it only says supernatural
http://www.google.com.ng/search?q=superstition i think we all would appreciate it if you can be honest in your post and throw every deception out the window.

according to google superstition is excessively credulous belief in and reverence for the supernatural. everyone can look it up by typing superstition in www.google.com.ng

superstitious beliefs includes witchcrafts, magic, ghosts etc. . . so someone can still believe these things and lacks belief in a god or gods. .

so yes someone who lacks belief in god(s) (atheist) can still be superstitious

2 Likes

Re: Can An Atheist Be Superstitious? by undercat: 9:27pm On Jun 20, 2015
An atheist can be superstitious. A theist can hold no superstitious belief, or even a belief in the supernatural.
Re: Can An Atheist Be Superstitious? by NumberOne2(m): 9:48pm On Jun 20, 2015
johnydon22:
Let us clear this once and for all. . .
Atheism means only one thing and that is exactly what you posted on your op
DISBELIEF IN DEITIES and that is all. . .
you can believe that big foot exist, spiderman exist, unicorns, vampires exists. . . the only thing that labels someone an atheist is disbelief in gods

bro the supernatural beings you added to the definition of superstition isn't there from the google which you got that definition from, it only says supernatural
http://www.google.com.ng/search?q=superstition i think we all would appreciate it if you can be honest in your post and throw every deception out the window.

according to google superstition is excessively credulous belief in and reverence for the supernatural. everyone can look it up by typing superstition in www.google.com.ng

superstitious beliefs includes witchcrafts, magic, ghosts etc. . . so someone can still believe these things and lacks belief in a god or gods. .

so yes someone who lacks belief in god(s) (atheist) can still be superstitious

There is NO deception. I got both defs from google. Yours point so WIKIPEDIA.
Here are the links to the Google def.

Superstition:
https://www.google.com/search?q=meaning+of+superstition

Atheist:
https://www.google.com/search?q=meaning+of+atheist
Re: Can An Atheist Be Superstitious? by NumberOne2(m): 9:51pm On Jun 20, 2015
undercat:
An atheist can be superstitious. A theist can hold no superstitious belief, or even a belief in the supernatural.

Is that not a contradiction looking at those definitions?
So one can be scared of the devil (witches) but there is no god?
Re: Can An Atheist Be Superstitious? by johnydon22(m): 9:53pm On Jun 20, 2015
NumberOne2:

is god a witch?

it all falls to belief.... the person may believe that there are witches but lack belief there are god(s)

just like someone can also disbelief there are witches but believes there is a god or gods.

saying belief in witches contradicts disbelief in deities is like saying disbelief in witches contradicts belief in deities. . . those are independent concepts
Re: Can An Atheist Be Superstitious? by NumberOne2(m): 10:03pm On Jun 20, 2015
johnydon22:
is god a witch?

it all falls to belief.... the person may believe that there are witches but lack belief there are god(s)

just like someone can also disbelief there are witches but believes there is a god or gods.

saying belief in witches contradicts disbelief in deities is like saying disbelief in witches contradicts belief in deities. . . those are independent concepts

.. but witches are SUPERNATURAL BEINGS just like gods.
Re: Can An Atheist Be Superstitious? by johnydon22(m): 10:07pm On Jun 20, 2015
NumberOne2:

.. but witches are SUPERNATURAL BEINGS just like gods.
nope witches are humans alleged to possess preternatural powers. . smiley
Re: Can An Atheist Be Superstitious? by menesheh(m): 10:14pm On Jun 20, 2015
NumberOne2:
Google Definitions:

Atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
Superstition: excessively credulous belief in and reverence for supernatural beings.

Crap
Re: Can An Atheist Be Superstitious? by NumberOne2(m): 10:48pm On Jun 20, 2015
johnydon22:

nope witches are humans alleged to possess preternatural powers. . smiley

A superstition is a belief that is not based on logic or reason. I thought Atheist were LOGICAL and REALISTIC?
Re: Can An Atheist Be Superstitious? by johnydon22(m): 10:57pm On Jun 20, 2015
NumberOne2:

A superstition is a belief that is not based on logic or reason. I thought Atheist were LOGICAL and REALISTIC?

I think you are adding your own definition to atheism . . .

You yourself know that atheism only means disbelief in gods

they may even be grandpas that have never tasted education but lack beliefs in gods thats all it takes to be referred to as an atheist.

so not everyone who is an atheist can be regarded to be logical or intelligent and stuff.

some may be superstitious or believe all these absurdities that superstition entails but what labels them atheist are just disbelief in god(s)

another may be all brilliant, intelligent, logical, scientific all that doesn't classify him an atheist, only the fact that he/she lack belief god(s) labels him/her an atheist.

1 Like

Re: Can An Atheist Be Superstitious? by undercat: 12:01am On Jun 21, 2015
NumberOne2:

Using the definition of superstition you gave, there could be a contradiction. The contradiction is avoided by shifting the boundary of the natural, so that the superstitious belief falls within the natural, or so that the supernatural is eliminated entirely. For example, one can say that his supposed superstitious belief is simply unexplained natural phenomena (there are definitions of supernatural that allow this) or that everything that exists is natural.

Also, it is possible to believe that there are supernatural things without believing in God (sentient ultimate cause). For example, an alternate universe might be supernatural to us and anybody that believes in one would thereby believe in the supernatural. Similarly, a "spiritual world" consisting of demons (but no God) could possibly have developed just as science suggests ours did.

(1) (Reply)

. / Words Are Powerful:Use Them Well. / The Benefits Of Wisdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.