Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster (22131 Views)

Saraki Conducts HBP Test on Dino Melaye At Hospital Inauguration in Yobe (PICS) / Buratai Leads Soldiers On Routine Drills In Abuja (Photos) / Nigerian Army Conducts Successful Raid On Boko Haram Camps In Borno..photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Kinkale(m): 6:37am On Jun 21, 2015
sunkoye:
they probably gonna site the facilities in states that would not be missed in case of disaster. .. cheesy

then cross river z one of them? Mayb the other state but nt mah dear cross river. There are alternatives that are less dangerous. Wind, solar, considering the dirt on nigeria's road, if harnessed could be used too
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by gabriel74: 6:40am On Jun 21, 2015
when the news about nuclear plant first came many here were happy,now because they are alerting us on the effect,you are panic.
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Nobody: 6:51am On Jun 21, 2015
i just cant imagine how some persons reason, u complain of steady power supply and the government is now waking for the call still u r there rubbishing it instead of u to provide solutions on ow it will get berra. If u r dat comfortable u wont be on nairaland so, we are all need dis steady power supply. India,malysia, china did same and our sorry ass run to the dose country for greener pasture
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Nicepoker(m): 6:53am On Jun 21, 2015
MicroBox:

No be oyinbo people tell you like that ? it's same Oyinbo people that will be coming over to oversee the whole affair. so chill
South Africa, Iran, Germany, Russia Israel, Pakistan, India,china, Japan etc all have and depend on nuclear power plant. the more population, the more demand for energy and definitely a quest for cheapest, reliable and affordable would be an option which is nuclear power plant.
Alternative sources of energy which is mostly D.C. Current is very expensive to generate. talking of its storage and inverting it to give A.C. current is no joke.
Solar, wind whatever whatever are not an option.
It's easy to generate A.C. and then step it down.
@TEAMNUCLEARPOWER9JA

Less I forget ....please NAEA I still have my acknowledgement and reference number of 2011 recruitment for Nuclear Power which nothing is heard of till date. I am scanning it and forwarding it to the HR cause I must be among the first batch to go Russia for training. thanks in advance.. .....
they should site the plant in ur state.
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by ghostofsparta(m): 6:56am On Jun 21, 2015
@ROSSIKE
Despite the status of India and Pakistan in a global hall of fame, how dare you compare Nigeria to them. Even Afghanistan is better than Africal most infernal zone 'Nigeria'.
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by absoluteSuccess: 7:09am On Jun 21, 2015
Just as i've tot. nukes should be secured and must not be allowed to end in the hands of some roagues whose eternal dream is warhead and IED.
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by tayejay(m): 7:52am On Jun 21, 2015
[color=#990000][/color]
TechRev:
You are building Nuclear plant without having steady water supply to your cities. The nuclear reactors need steady supply of water, and in case of a failure or leak you need even more water to contain the damage. Now when you cant supply your cities water, is this not trouble dey sleep yanga go wake am??

Ohh i get it zoological republic of nigeria thinking, Civil defense will use AK47 or M16 contain the disaster. How many of them civil defense are trained in nuclear physics?? Civil defense to contain nuclear disaster how useless can this contraption called Nigeria get??

This really shows how myopic some people can b in thots. By the way, who told u civil defense doesn't hav graduates that cut across several specializations? What u must knw is that d earlier u have as much as possible all d types of energy sources in your mix d better as a nation u are. Energy insecurity is big issue that makes a country vulnerable. U lose industrial advantages to other countries and make u totally dependent on their finished products. Mind u, the nuclear technology has advanced beyond d level u think. Besides smaller reactors wit very low risks that hav been desingned for emerging nuclear p countries, nuclear materials are one of d most regulated materials in d world. If smaller countries hav moved ahead of us in d acquisition of d tech, y shouldn't we, considering the enormous advantages.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Nobody: 8:03am On Jun 21, 2015
Will Nigeria be able to manage a nuclear reactor?? I had the privilege and opportunity to visit a nuclear power plant here in Europe and the technology i saw in the chambers made me to realize how far Africa is technologically. If Japan could barely manage their nuclear disaster, i wonder what will happen if Nigeria encounters such in future......Nuclear power no be child's play oo grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Nobody: 8:06am On Jun 21, 2015
smajatt:

Men,are you for real? Do you even know what a nuclear disaster is? well if you don't let me juggle your memory a bit please kindly check the following wesites for more explanation,cos if i do you still won't understand the gratitude of your ignorance. for 1 i see no reason you would compare Nigeria to India and Pakistan. why do Nigeria send a lot of public servants to India for professional courses or is it that we are not professional,or why does India has 1 of the best history of surgical success in the medical world? Yes India has problems like Nigeria, but even the US,Britain and other world powers recognise the will,determination to cope and adapt with their problems.

For the love of God,we can't even manage mere street lights for fvcks sake, what in the hell happened to our refineries, or what in the fvcks name happened to that satellite we even paid China to send to orbit for us,cos last i checked we could'nt even do that. My brother lets leave the adults to play mummy and daddy and let the kids just keep building castle of sand, at least that way even if the castle falls they can rebuild.

Tell your leaders to repair the turbines first, get more step down and step up and step in and step out and step whatever transformers to all necessary LG and streets in the country first. Tell them also to make the prepaid meter available to all consumer in the country and they should stop hording it. Tell them to regulate the laughable bills they bring monthly first. Tell them to scrutinize the power sector first for fvcks sake.

Infact am and lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_power_accidents_by_country

Wait...we are on the same page. Why you dey look for quarrel?
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by ransomed: 8:07am On Jun 21, 2015
Appleyard:
Ok... Thats good to hear. At least, we have some warm heads in our security apparatus who are already thinking ahead.. Pre-emptive measures are always necessary for any successfull security objectives.

Lets just hope they keep up the spirit.
::--Simulation training does not prevent Nuclear disaster. Remember Chernoby? Say No to Nuke!
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Phillfree(m): 8:16am On Jun 21, 2015
Calebosko:
SAD SAD NEWS! A NIGERIAN LIVING ABROAD CALLED HIS MUM TO SAY; OLA: MOM, I'VE GOT HIV & SO I'M COMING HOME. MOM: (BEGGING) PLEASE, OLA NEVA COME BACK HOME. OLA: (SURPRISED) "WHY HE ASKED" MOM: "IF YOU COME HOME, UR WIFE WIL GET IT AND SHE WIL GIVE UR BRODA, UR BRODA WIL GIVE IT TO OUR HOUSE GIRL AND SHE WIL GIVE IT TO UR FATHER. YOUR FATHER WIL GIVE IT TO ME AND I WIL GIVE IT TO OUR DRIVER, OUR DRIVER WIL GIVE IT TO UR SISTER AND IF UR SISTER GETS IT, THEN THE ENTIRE VILLAGE WIL GET IT. SO WE AR COUNTING ON U TO DIE ALONE AND SAVE US ALL FROM DEAD"! HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND
LAME
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by ransomed: 8:17am On Jun 21, 2015
TechRev:
You are building Nuclear plant without having steady water supply to your cities. The nuclear reactors need steady supply of water, and in case of a failure or leak you need even more water to contain the damage. Now when you cant supply your cities water, is this not trouble dey sleep yanga go wake am??

Ohh i get it zoological republic of nigeria thinking, Civil defense will use AK47 or M16 contain the disaster. How many of them civil defense are trained in nuclear physics?? Civil defense to contain nuclear disaster how useless can this contraption called Nigeria get??
::--Thank God we still have reasonable people like you on Nairaland. Disadvantages of Nuclear power plant far outweight the little advantage. How do we dispose or handle spent nuclear source when we can not handle spent engine oil, transformer oil, POP, UPOP's, New POP's successfully? Nigerians should be ready for diverse diseases and ill health if this project takes off. Say No to Nuke!
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by tsdarkside(m): 8:19am On Jun 21, 2015
very good...

our goverment is working again...
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by smajatt(m): 8:25am On Jun 21, 2015
totima:

Wait...we are on the same page. Why you dey look for quarrel?

hehe my bad no be you i wan quote jaare. 'no vex' Na this person ROSSIKE i wan quote,guess na the kin anger i get that time for the comment no even make me see plain monikier... grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by tsdarkside(m): 8:25am On Jun 21, 2015
i was thinking to start with coal-plant...

but if our goverment thinks they are capable to bring Nuclear Plants...then,,i am with our goverment...

they said they will send a satellite,and they did it..!!!!

SAI General Muhammadu Godwin Okechukwu Babatunde Oluwafunmilayo Buhari
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by phreakabit(m): 8:30am On Jun 21, 2015
E never happen them don dey think am already. .
Nigeria is known for incompetence!!!!
I have worked in a depot ( PPMC/NNPC), I can tell you how many times I run leave shoe and car for office because of fire, caused my ill maintenance habit. Most of the Engineers there and I repeat with emphasis on MOST don't know SH!T.
If the people of the chosen communities for this project know any good,they had better vehemently reject the siting of Nuclear plants in their territory. Ideally these things are sited in Deserted territories not densely populated areas.
We are not matured nor ready enough for this at all!
Everyone can see what host communities of Oil companies still suffer!
Nuclear energy is not something we want to mess with trust me.

Just for references on what could occur look up :

Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster:

Radiation effects from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster

Chernobyl Accident And Its Consequences - Nuclear
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by tsdarkside(m): 8:31am On Jun 21, 2015
atiakatata:
soon dem go sign 8bn for this one shocked shocked shocked Nuclear?

nuclear plants are very expensive...how do you think,this oyinbos build theirs??

from their own pocket?? forget that!!

was financed by credit from imf(international monetory fund)......this thing is not cheap...
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by otiigba1(m): 8:34am On Jun 21, 2015
[quote author=TechRev post=34976601]You are building Nuclear plant without having steady water supply to your cities. The nuclear reactors need steady supply of water, and in case of a failure or leak you need even more water to contain the damage. Now when you cant supply your cities water, is this not trouble dey sleep yanga go wake am??

Ohh i get it zoological republic of nigeria thinking, Civil defense will use AK47 or M16 contain the disaster. How many of them civil defense are trained in nuclear physics?? Civil defense to contain nuclear disaster how useless can this contraption called Nigeria get??[/quotei] its mind bogling! Nigeria may be heading to a Nuclear disaster if this goes on without adequate measures
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by 2sex(m): 8:39am On Jun 21, 2015
Someone brought this idea up because of greed to make money. People, brace yourself ooo. My friend has already hinted me that this shiiit is real. They are proceeding with the plan as they have chosen their site for the project. E no go better for the person wey suggest this kind thing oooo just because him wan make money.
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Nobody: 8:42am On Jun 21, 2015
Hmmm! It's very good to dream. While I appreciate Nigeria's venture into the dangerous of sourcing stable power from nuclear plant, I'm deeply worried due to our sloppy and poor safety culture. Nuclear plants are always a disaster waiting to happen. While their occurrences are rare, their impacts can last for generations.

A Nation that's yet to effectively manage it's domestic wastes cannot be matured enough to tinker with that of managing nuclear wastes. Let's be guided!

I don't trust to be proactive enough with nuclear issues. I've spoken my own.
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by phreakabit(m): 8:55am On Jun 21, 2015
BIGGER QUESTIONS ARISING. . Found this post below from 10 years ago:

[b]Uranium found in 6 States

WORLD highly valued uranium has been found in six states of the country, placing the nation's economy in a vantage position for further growth.

The six states are Cross River, Adamawa, Taraba, Plateau, Bauchi and Kano, a document from the Federal Ministry of Solid Minerals Development has said.

According to the document, "an inventory of solid minerals potentials," made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) yesterday in Abuja, the uranium find was by the Atomic Energy Division of the Geological Survey of Great Britain.

Ministry sources told NAN that the highly sourced and priced radioactive mineral could be second to oil in revenue generation when fully exploited.

Uranium is used to produce nuclear energy and also as a fuel for nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons.

According to studies, not many countries of the world are endowed with the radioactive mineral, which makes it highly priced and of high value.

The valued mineral which was mainly obtained from the ore uranite, occurred in small bodies of granite containing pyrochlore with 3.3 per cent uranium oxide, 3.3 per cent, thorium oxide and 41.1 per cent niobium and tantalum oxides, the document s[/b]

Funny how no Northern State was chosen. . . . Something is not right here!
How did the chosen state emerge?
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by JOBA3(m): 9:12am On Jun 21, 2015
Civil defence have enough physists than you can imagiine. The essence of training is to equip the corps with skills and knowledge to handled any form of disaster in the nuclear energy sector. If given the right equipments the NSCDC can handle any form of disaster
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by JOBA3(m): 9:15am On Jun 21, 2015
Is Kogi state not in the north?
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by tlops(m): 9:30am On Jun 21, 2015
At the time others are planning to shut down their nuclear stations, Nigeria just woke up ti it. To me it is a No No. We can embark on a more sustainable energy generation technology. Why are we not at the fore front of research in Solar energy or wind energy? we are waiting for the gods (west) to develop it before we tap into it meanwhile we have abundance primary resources for this technology.
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by phreakabit(m): 9:36am On Jun 21, 2015
JOBA3:
Is Kogi state not in the north?

Go back to your Geography books.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by mikeobk(m): 9:54am On Jun 21, 2015
TechRev:

I've never read anything from a bigger foool like you! Fvcckkeed up retard! You think Rosatom don't know that already? Or you think our leaders are dumb? They travel out and they know whats available and obtainable so sit on your big ballz. keep criticising and holding your own family from moving forward... You go school at all?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by mikeobk(m): 10:06am On Jun 21, 2015
phreakabit:
BIGGER QUESTIONS ARISING. . Found this post below from 10 years ago:

Funny how no Northern State was chosen. . . . Something is not right here!
How did the chosen state emerge?
can you read atall?
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by phreakabit(m): 11:13am On Jun 21, 2015
mikeobk:
can you read atall?

Can you spell "at all"?
Before stressing your p0rn cluster clogged brain on lag to produce something worth typing. You should read the entire post first.

The six states are Cross River, Adamawa, Taraba, Plateau, Bauchi and Kano, a document from the Federal Ministry of Solid Minerals Development has said.

How come Kogi and Akwa Ibom were chosen?

Apes tend to present some human like attributes a times. . . I was a skeptic, but you prove me wrong.
Re: Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jun 21, 2015
ROSSIKE:

India and Pakistan have even more developmental problems than Nigeria, yet they are nuclear powers, so your argument is meaningless. This whole ''we are not up to it'' inferiority complex is one of our greatest weaknesses as a people. Innoson could easily have said ''there's power shortage, water shortage, poor security, poor infrastructure... how can I possibly set up a car production plant?'' which is what possibly 95% of Nigerians in his shoes would have said a couple of decades ago, before he went against that mentality and actually set up a car manufacturing plant which today employs over 10,000 people, and is one of our ringing successes.

Inferiority complex? When does being realistic equal inferiority complex?
You then compare car production to nuclear power?

If maintenance of the nuclear reactors become compromised and there is radiation everywhere, would you want it in your villAge? In Nigeria, we sabotage almost anything and as I'm speaking now, wicked people are vandalising our pipelines, and we seem to do nothing about it.

All I'm saying is if we rectify some dangerous mindset that have set us aback for years, then we could embark on nuclear power.
I'm just a pragmatist!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Haliru Bello Under Police Watch, Son Remanded / Meltdown In Nigeria Is Affecting Neighbouring Countries - Benin President / Herman Hembe Dumps APC For PDP (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.