Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,617 members, 7,813,030 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:04 AM

Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant (1592 Views)

Nigerians Blast PDP Chairman Makarfi 4 Urging People 2 Stop Criticising Buhari / Criticizing Buhari Over "President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant. / Criticising Buhari Over " President Michelle Of West Germany" Gaffe Is Ignorant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by bulakos25(m): 11:28pm On Jun 20, 2015
I have read people refer to President Buhari as “clueless”- and suchlike adjectives of disesteem suggesting cognitive incapacity - for his recent reference to
German Chancellor Angela Merkel as “President Michelle of West Germany.” That is ignorant. And I will explain why shortly.
There are many things to criticise about President Buhari, but cluelessness isn’t one of them. His thought-processes are clearly complex, sophisticated, and high-
level. If in doubt, get hold of any of his off-the cuff remarks; go beyond the distractions of his accent, and you will see a man whose intellect is deep and whose
understanding of governance and world politics is admirably advanced. I have interviewed him twice - first when I was a journalist in Nigeria and later from here
in the US for the Nigerian Village Square website in 2010.
You’re probably wondering where I am going with this. How could someone call Germany ‘West Germany,’ mangle its president’s name and official title, and I not only say he
isn’t clueless but insist he is, in fact, intellectually deep?
OK, let me start by saying I am not some viscerally one-dimensional, unreflective Buhari apologist who is wedded to what I call the misguided philosophy of Buharist inerrancy,
that is, the wrongheaded idea that Buhari can’t ever be wrong. Buhari is only human who is liable to errors and lapses of judgment. Many of us who criticised him, and will
criticise him in the future, do so not because we are better but because, as the saying goes, the onlookers, not the participants, see most of the game.
Now, when Buhari called German Chancellor Merkel “President Michelle of West Germany,” he was merely suffering from what Americans call a “senior moment,” which is the
momentary lapse in memory occasioned by old age. As psychologists know only too well, as we age, the speed with which we retrieve information from our cognitive reservoir
slows. Age-related memory lapses, experts tell us can start as early as the late 30s and get worse as we get older.
Nobel Prize-winning neurobiologist Eric Kandel and his colleagues published a well-received study in 2013 in the Journal of Science Translational Medicine where they, among
other things, reveal that a “memory gene” in us appears to get weaker as our brain ages, causing us to forget easily, mix things up, and be unable to easily recall information
stored in our memory banks.
Buhari is not the only president who contends with age-related memory impairment. The late President Ronald Regan, America’s oldest president, who was elected at nearly 70
years in his first term, was famous for his bewildering senior moments. I will give only a few examples. Sometime in 1984, when he was 73 years old, during a meeting with
Japanese Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone, according to TIME magazine < http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0 ,9171,951325-3,00.html>, President Reagan
constantly referred to his own Vice President, George Bush, Sr. (father of George W. Bush), as “Prime Minister Bush.” (Remember Buhari’s reference to Vice President Osinbajo
as “Osunbade” during a campaign rally in Owerri?)
And, according to Tom Friedman’s 2006 book titled You Are Not Alone: 1,000 Unforgettable Senior Moments: Of Which We Could Remember Only 246 < https://
books.google.com/books?id=-l0-QJkwNRMC&printsec=frontcover> , “President Ronald Reagan’s senior moments were legendary. He often forgot what foreign country he was
in or the name of the dignitary he was meeting. When he visited Brazil, he referred to it as Bolivia. He greeted Princess Diana as ‘Princess David;’ at a conference of mayors once
introduced himself to Samuel Pierce, the only African-American member of his cabinet, who he thought was the mayor of some American city; and called President Samuel Doe
of Liberia ‘Chairman Doe.’” (p. 85).
Have you seen any similarities yet? Well, another US president, Richard Nixon, had a senior moment when he went to France in 1974 to attend the funeral of French president
Georges Pompidou. Nixon had a lapse of memory and totally forgot why he was in France, so he said: “This is a great day for France!”
There will be many more age-related memory lapses from President Buhari. Get used to it. It’s no big deal. It’s part of the normal process of aging, and has no impact
whatsoever on cognitive ability or performance. In spite of his notoriety for embarrassing “senior moments,” President Reagan has often been ranked as one of America’s
greatest presidents. In fact, a February 2011 Gallup poll placed him ’as Americas greatest president < http://www.gallup.com/poll/146183/americans-say-reagan-greatest-
president.aspx> of all time - ahead of Abraham Lincoln.
Like Buhari, Reagan lost in a past presidential election, but went ahead to defeat a younger incumbent in 1980. He won re-election at nearly 74 years with the biggest Electoral
College victory in American history. When he left office in 1989, Reagan had an approval rating of 68 percent, which is the highest rating for a departing president in America’s
modern history. Only Franklin D. Roosevelt and Bill Clinton rival this feat.
I am not implying that Buhari will be a Nigerian Ronald Reagan, but his age-induced cognitive impairments and slips should not cause us to dismiss him. When he recently said
to Nigerians in South Africa < http://saharareporters.com/2015/06/17/old-age-will-limit-my-performance-%E2%80%93buhari> : “I wish I became Head of State when I was a
governor, just a few years as a young man. Now at 72, there is a limit to what I can do,” he was referring to the inevitable impediments that age imposes on people. But senior
moments don’t impair performance if the will to succeed is there, as the example of Ronald Regan clearly shows.
Although I think it’s ignorant to hold up Buhari’s senior moments as evidence of cluelessness, it’s fair game to poke fun at them. That’s the nature of democracy. Even Reagan
laughed at the humour his senior moments actuated. I hope Buhari - and his legion of zealous, humourless supporters - will learn to laugh at his senior moment jokes.

Source: http://dailytrust.com.ng/weekly/index.php/notes-from-atlanta/20827-criticising-buhari-over-president-michelle-of-west-germany-gaffe-is-ignorant

1 Like

Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jun 20, 2015
interesting
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by emmatok(m): 12:05am On Jun 21, 2015
So if old age(senior moment) is Buhari's problems why can't he go and rest.

9 Likes

Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by koma1(m): 12:11am On Jun 21, 2015
Nice writeup
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by dgalon(m): 12:13am On Jun 21, 2015
it's too damn long buh I managed to read I got say, I concur with yhu.
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by babajero(m): 12:36am On Jun 21, 2015
Op very simple buhari has gone senile. Period

6 Likes

Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by wordcat(m): 12:47am On Jun 21, 2015
Provided he can make Nigeria work again,
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by papaejima1: 12:49am On Jun 21, 2015
We have younger people in this country with "young moments" or "junior" moments. We dont need any person to embarrass us with your so-called senior moments.

Why didnt you say same for Jonathan if it can start as early as 30?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by Cpumping(m): 12:51am On Jun 21, 2015
I stopped reading here ... "What they call 'senior moment' "

So we shd expect a lot more ' senior moments'

Na mke 'senior moment no catch am for president putin side o.

He wee just use vex & annihilate this our country.
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by philantoxx(m): 3:15am On Jun 21, 2015
a single term will do
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by tayooluwole: 4:58am On Jun 21, 2015
Sai Bhuari

Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by Ahmed4002(m): 5:17am On Jun 21, 2015
dgalon:
it's too damn long buh I managed to read I got say, I concur with yhu.
very lazy Galon
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by Nobody: 5:31am On Jun 21, 2015
Okay
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by Franzeez(m): 5:34am On Jun 21, 2015
bulakos25:
I have read people refer to President Buhari as “clueless”- and suchlike adjectives of disesteem suggesting cognitive incapacity - for his recent reference to
German Chancellor Angela Merkel as “President Michelle of West Germany.” That is ignorant. And I will explain why shortly.
There are many things to criticise about President Buhari, but cluelessness isn’t one of them. His thought-processes are clearly complex, sophisticated, and high-
level. If in doubt, get hold of any of his off-the cuff remarks; go beyond the distractions of his accent, and you will see a man whose intellect is deep and whose
understanding of governance and world politics is admirably advanced. I have interviewed him twice - first when I was a journalist in Nigeria and later from here
in the US for the Nigerian Village Square website in 2010.
You’re probably wondering where I am going with this. How could someone call Germany ‘West Germany,’ mangle its president’s name and official title, and I not only say he
isn’t clueless but insist he is, in fact, intellectually deep?
OK, let me start by saying I am not some viscerally one-dimensional, unreflective Buhari apologist who is wedded to what I call the misguided philosophy of Buharist inerrancy,
that is, the wrongheaded idea that Buhari can’t ever be wrong. Buhari is only human who is liable to errors and lapses of judgment. Many of us who criticised him, and will
criticise him in the future, do so not because we are better but because, as the saying goes, the onlookers, not the participants, see most of the game.
Now, when Buhari called German Chancellor Merkel “President Michelle of West Germany,” he was merely suffering from what Americans call a “senior moment,” which is the
momentary lapse in memory occasioned by old age. As psychologists know only too well, as we age, the speed with which we retrieve information from our cognitive reservoir
slows. Age-related memory lapses, experts tell us can start as early as the late 30s and get worse as we get older.
Nobel Prize-winning neurobiologist Eric Kandel and his colleagues published a well-received study in 2013 in the Journal of Science Translational Medicine where they, among
other things, reveal that a “memory gene” in us appears to get weaker as our brain ages, causing us to forget easily, mix things up, and be unable to easily recall information
stored in our memory banks.
Buhari is not the only president who contends with age-related memory impairment. The late President Ronald Regan, America’s oldest president, who was elected at nearly 70
years in his first term, was famous for his bewildering senior moments. I will give only a few examples. Sometime in 1984, when he was 73 years old, during a meeting with
Japanese Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone, according to TIME magazine < http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0 ,9171,951325-3,00.html>, President Reagan
constantly referred to his own Vice President, George Bush, Sr. (father of George W. Bush), as “Prime Minister Bush.” (Remember Buhari’s reference to Vice President Osinbajo
And, according to Tom Friedman’s 2006 book titled You Are Not Alone: 1,000 Unforgettable Senior Moments: Of Which We Could Remember Only 246 < https://
books.google.com/books?id=-l0-QJkwNRMC&printsec=frontcover> , “President Ronald Reagan’s senior moments were legendary. He often forgot what foreign country he was
in or the name of the dignitary he was meeting. When he visited Brazil, he referred to it as Bolivia. He greeted Princess Diana as ‘Princess David;’ at a conference of mayors once
introduced himself to Samuel Pierce, the only African-American member of his cabinet, who he thought was the mayor of some American city; and called President Samuel Doe
of Liberia ‘Chairman Doe.’” (p. 85).
Have you seen any similarities yet? Well, another US president, Richard Nixon, had a senior moment when he went to France in 1974 to attend the funeral of French president
Georges Pompidou. Nixon had a lapse of memory and totally forgot why he was in France, so he said: “This is a great day for France!”
There will be many more age-related memory lapses from President Buhari. Get used to it. It’s no big deal. It’s part of the normal process of aging, and has no impact
whatsoever on cognitive ability or performance. In spite of his notoriety for embarrassing “senior moments,” President Reagan has often been ranked as one of America’s
greatest presidents. In fact, a February 2011 Gallup poll placed him ’as Americas greatest president < http://www.gallup.com/poll/146183/americans-say-reagan-greatest-
president.aspx> of all time - ahead of Abraham Lincoln.
Like Buhari, Reagan lost in a past presidential election, but went ahead to defeat a younger incumbent in 1980. He won re-election at nearly 74 years with the biggest Electoral
College victory in American history. When he left office in 1989, Reagan had an approval rating of 68 percent, which is the highest rating for a departing president in America’s
modern history. Only Franklin D. Roosevelt and Bill Clinton rival this feat.
I am not implying that Buhari will be a Nigerian Ronald Reagan, but his age-induced cognitive impairments and slips should not cause us to dismiss him. When he recently said
to Nigerians in South Africa < http://saharareporters.com/2015/06/17/old-age-will-limit-my-performance-%E2%80%93buhari> : “I wish I became Head of State when I was a
governor, just a few years as a young man. Now at 72, there is a limit to what I can do,” he was referring to the inevitable impediments that age imposes on people. But senior
moments don’t impair performance if the will to succeed is there, as the example of Ronald Regan clearly shows.
Although I think it’s ignorant to hold up Buhari’s senior moments as evidence of cluelessness, it’s fair game to poke fun at them. That’s the nature of democracy. Even Reagan
laughed at the humour his senior moments actuated. I hope Buhari - and his legion of zealous, humourless supporters - will learn to laugh at his senior moment jokes.

Source: http://dailytrust.com.ng/weekly/index.php/notes-from-atlanta/20827-criticising-buhari-over-president-michelle-of-west-germany-gaffe-is-ignorant

Is it daily trust that quoted sahara reporters, content.com and gall.com. guy this one Na lie, Na you forge am
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by chosen04(f): 6:38am On Jun 21, 2015
Pure lies "Senior Moments" indeed! Do you think that we have forgotten how it was Idiagbon who was ruling even when Buhari had the opportunity to govern has a mush younger man? And how it is also on record that he left the day to day running of PTF to his inlaws when he was the chirman? One thing is sure, Buhari is only interested in title, he is not interested in handling the responsbility that comes with the title.

2 Likes

Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by papoose999(m): 6:45am On Jun 21, 2015
D old man just knw say e dn old nw wen he nd his shiiit party wia shoutin change change nigeria durn campaign d man no knw abi...d old man is a dullard
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by Vicotex(m): 6:55am On Jun 21, 2015
happy sunday

1 Like

Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by Akinrogun(m): 7:03am On Jun 21, 2015
babajero:
Op very simple buhari has gone senile. Period

Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by Caseless: 7:18am On Jun 21, 2015
those who attack him based on mistake he made in addressing Angela Merkel as " president mitchell of west Germany are bitter children who can't cope with the crass electoral lesson BUHARI thought their paymaster.

As for me, I love BUHARI even more each time I see those asinines trying to recall that mistake.

#love president BUHARI
#love Nigeria
#love president mitchell
#love west Germany
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by Caseless: 7:25am On Jun 21, 2015

constantly referred to his own Vice President, George Bush, Sr. (father of George W. Bush), as “Prime Minister Bush.”
(Remember Buhari’s reference to Vice President Osinbajo

tell them!
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by dunkem21(m): 7:28am On Jun 21, 2015
I laugh in West Germany grin
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by Caseless: 7:37am On Jun 21, 2015
chosen04:
Pure lies "Senior Moments" indeed! Do you think that we have forgotten how it was Idiagbon who was ruling even when Buhari had the opportunity to [size=14pt]govern has a mush[/size] younger man? And how it is also on record that he left the day to day running of PTF to his inlaws when he was the chirman? One thing is sure, Buhari is only interested in title, he is not interested in handling the responsbility that comes with the title.

"junior moment"!
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by phyllosilicate(m): 7:43am On Jun 21, 2015
Very true .... Not only old people, old habit hardly dies. When we are used to a particular name and it is changed, how brain first recollect the old name its used to. Many of us still say NEPA, IFE instead of OAU and ZAIN instead of Airtel.

My neighbour changed his name from Endurance to wisdom. He said he don't want to be called endurance again he want to stop enduring grin. Though he did that like 5 years back, if we still see him, the first thing that come to our mind is Endurance.

Anybody stay has stayed with old people, will understand that what the article is saying. Though old people make this mistake, it doesn't affect anything.
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by Nobody: 7:46am On Jun 21, 2015
but you never wrote such useless article during GEJ tenure. abeg go and sit down jare. I'm writing from west Germany.
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by Caseless: 7:50am On Jun 21, 2015

We laugh at the TANoids...we know they're ignorant!
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by Nobody: 7:53am On Jun 21, 2015
Senile is the word. Alzheimer's, its kicking in.
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by Caseless: 8:00am On Jun 21, 2015
Nashoji:
but you never wrote such useless article during GEJ tenure. abeg go and sit down jare. I'm writing from west Germany.
which of the gej's moment do you want him to write to defend? "stealing is not corruption", "how much did Nwobod stole that BUHARI sent him to prison?", "where is Gwoza sef?", " if I do, they will feel one kain", "those of you that know how to use computers", etc, ?

Gej's gaffe are institionalized ones, you can't defend him in anyway.

Besides, the writer is talking about senior citizens suffering 'senior moments', why do you need him to do that for gej when gej is still less than 60 years of age?
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by Nobody: 8:02am On Jun 21, 2015
wordcat:
Provided he can make Nigeria work again,

He already confirmed that buhari is already senile. HOW CAN A SENILE MAN MAKE.NIGERIA WORK.
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:02am On Jun 21, 2015
papaejima1:
We have younger people in this country with "young moments" or "junior" moments. We dont need any person to embarrass us with your so-called senior moments.

Jonathan once said he would create unemployment. Which is worse?
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by mikolo80: 8:05am On Jun 21, 2015
papaejima1:

Big difference between senior moments and consistently outrightly illegal inept and incompetent moment after moment. Dude was is will always be a liar and thief
Re: Criticising Buhari Over “president Michelle Of West Germany” Gaffe Is Ignorant by Caseless: 8:06am On Jun 21, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Jonathan once said he would create unemployment. Which is worse?
how did I forget this gargantuan quote of jonathan? angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

ISIS Releases First Video With Boko Haram / Obama Is Not Good For Africa. We Should Be Weary Of Him!! / Falana Threatens To Drag Buhari To Court If Killings Continue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.