Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,640 members, 7,820,246 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari (27226 Views)

"There Is No $25bn NNPC Contract Anywhere" - Laolu Akande / Laolu Akande Asks Nigerians To Name Road Projects Completed In Last 10 Years / Buhari To Appoint Laolu-Akande, As Osinbajo's Spokesman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by londonrivals: 12:20pm On Jun 22, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari has named a former North American Bureau Chief of The Guardian, Laolu Akande, as a Senior Special Assistant to lead the media and communication unit in the office of Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, the News Agency of Nigeria has reported.

The appointment confirms PREMIUM TIMES’ exclusively report Sunday, which quoted government sources as saying Mr. Akande will be named alongside a number of other appointees this week.

People familiar with the president’s plan told this newspaper that Mr. Akande’s appointment would be among several others to be announced Monday or Tuesday.

PREMIUM TIMES learnt that under the present arrangement in the presidency, there would be only one presidential media and communication office, but individual appointees would be given separate responsibilities.

Mr. Akande would be deployed to work with Mr. Osinbajo, our sources said.

He was in Nigeria in May to cover the inauguration ceremony for his media agency, Empowered Newswire. He returned to the U.S. shortly afterwards.

Mr. Akande, a pastor, is a former editor of Saturday Tribune. He cut his journalism teeth at The Guardian in 1989, and was a foundation staff of The NEWS magazine.

He moved to the United States in 1997 after agents of then dictator, Sani Abacha, began harassing him over perceived critical stance of his paper (Saturday Tribune) to the administration.

According to his brief bio on the website of the CANUSA, a Christian organization for which he works as executive director, Mr. Akande is regarded as “the longest serving African correspondent at the United Nations, and the only Nigerian journalist so far to have interviewed a sitting American president in the White House when he interviewed former President George W. Bush.

“He has also exclusively interviewed American folk hero, General Colin Powell, as well as billionaires like Microsoft founder Bill Gates and Donald Trump and several African leaders and presidents.”

An adjunct college professor, Mr. Akande worked with leading American newspapers including the Philadelphia Inquirer, and New York Newsday.
He worked briefly at the United Nations as a press officer and later as advocacy consultant between 2002 and 2004.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/185486-breaking-buhari-appoints-u-s-based-journalist-akande-as-vp-osinbajos-spokesperson.html

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by londonrivals: 12:20pm On Jun 22, 2015
Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by benedictnsi(m): 12:23pm On Jun 22, 2015
Is that post not under the appointment of PYO Or is PMB in charge of all appointments Even for the vice

If dem call am DOGO YARO Some of his fans go d vex.......

Anyway i believe PMB no need Delay from original DULLARD (PYO)
he needs gear five speed in changing Nigeria

Wait oo.... Am i the FTC again grin

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by seunmsg(m): 12:27pm On Jun 22, 2015
I hope he will bring his wealth of experience to contribute meaning fully to the Buhari/Osinbajo administration. We don't want another Reno/wendell simlin kind of performance that contributed to the downfall of Jonathan's government.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by mployer(m): 1:04pm On Jun 22, 2015
Buhari's appointments as of date..

15 advisers

2 spokespersons for himself

1 spokesperson for Osibanjo

A total of 18 men whose job is to talk....and some folks are still expecting action cheesy

47 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jun 22, 2015
Why don't he allow the mere commissioner to choose for himself angry

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by WukedP(m): 1:04pm On Jun 22, 2015
I dnt understand, please someone should clear me on this. So he is to appoint the vices spokes person for haim too?

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by moscobabs(m): 1:04pm On Jun 22, 2015
I beliv in this government

9 Likes

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by WhiZTiM(m): 1:04pm On Jun 22, 2015
VP's spokesman? WTH! ........

I just have one question... What exactly are Osinbajo's powers?

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by BrAkingNews: 1:04pm On Jun 22, 2015
good

2 Likes

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by Dongreatken(m): 1:05pm On Jun 22, 2015
Good

All We Want is a BETTER NIGERIA.

4 Likes

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by Nicepoker(m): 1:05pm On Jun 22, 2015
Soon he will appoint another Vp for himself.

15 Likes

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by wisefizz(m): 1:05pm On Jun 22, 2015
i called one of my frnds "OSINBAJO"

HE SLAPPED MY FACE, I DONT KNOW WHY....

HE SAID, HE DOESN'T WANT TO BE AN ORDINARY FIGURE HEAD...

15 Likes

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by Curvinus(m): 1:05pm On Jun 22, 2015
This to me is where the arrangement between the President and his Vice is massively flawed.

Since it's the party that chose the Vice President and Nigerians voted for him alongside the President, surely he too should have some powers to at least appoint his own team.

If Buhari isn't letting Governors appoint his Ministers, surely, he shouldn't be the one making appointments for his Vice now....

5 Likes

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by loomer: 1:05pm On Jun 22, 2015
wetin be the purpose of vpfor nigeria na?

1 Like

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by viczing(m): 1:05pm On Jun 22, 2015
benedictnsi:
Is that post not under the appointment of PYO Or is PMB in charge of all appointments Even for the vice

The two of them are dullard don't blame them, very soon na their wives go appoint for them

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by Benbisco(f): 1:05pm On Jun 22, 2015
benedictnsi:

My thoughts. You took the words out of my mouth.
Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jun 22, 2015
Ok. Hope he will do his job very well.
Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by oscarjulliet: 1:06pm On Jun 22, 2015
Kool
Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by CR77(f): 1:06pm On Jun 22, 2015
Buhari is a scammer

10 Likes

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by omojesu202(m): 1:06pm On Jun 22, 2015
good combo

2 Likes

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by coolhamid(m): 1:06pm On Jun 22, 2015
Seems PYO is toothless..
No wonder Saraki called him "ordinary commissioner" ..

Why would PMB appoints PYO's Spokesman ??
So he cant make appointment on his own??

Series of questions on my mind right now

Coolhamid

3 Likes

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by Spyman28: 1:07pm On Jun 22, 2015
One of many appointments that will made this week by our amiable President. Welcome on board Laolu

3 Likes

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by CR77(f): 1:07pm On Jun 22, 2015

1 Like

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by buoye1(m): 1:07pm On Jun 22, 2015
H

For Hen..

But does it mean the vice president doesn't have the liberty to appoint his aides and spokesperson.... I don't get it
Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by Crixina(f): 1:07pm On Jun 22, 2015
benedictnsi:
Good question. I need some kind of enlightenment on this.

1 Like

Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by Ijaya123: 1:07pm On Jun 22, 2015
That's the person for the job.
Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by tucky200(m): 1:07pm On Jun 22, 2015
Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jun 22, 2015
Consistency in one's convictions makes one convincing!
Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by Pavore9: 1:07pm On Jun 22, 2015
Appointments don begin.
Re: Laolu Akande Appointed As Osinbajo’s Spokesperson By Buhari by Kufie(m): 1:08pm On Jun 22, 2015
Good to see appointments have started. Work needs to start soon too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Troops Celebrate, Rap Battle And Dance With Lt. Gen Buratai(pics,vid) / Kenneth Okonkwo Kneels Down For Ken Nnamani (Photos) / Salami Panel Digs Beyond Magu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.