Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,250 members, 7,825,981 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:44 AM

I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs (35790 Views)

Lady Professes Her Intensions In Going Into Prostitution (photos) / CAREER SURVEY: Does Searching And Applying Online Actually Work? / CAREER SURVEY: Does Searching and Applying Online Actually Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by elantraceey(f): 1:26pm On Jun 26, 2015
Now that's the spirit. cheesy
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by Omotayor123(f): 1:27pm On Jun 26, 2015
Ephemmm:
Not everybody is destined to be an entrepreneur: wishing you good luck under Buhari's administration.
Wrong.. We all do.
It just depends on if you want to develop that spirit Or not.

Entrepreneurship is for those with determination And risk bearers.

Most of us are just too lazy and afraid to develop that spirit and potential.
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by buoye1(m): 1:30pm On Jun 26, 2015
steffans:
Let me comment b4 INTROVERT will come and post
you won't see people like them here only places where the insult Buhari and Jonathan

1 Like

Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by Mbediogu(m): 1:31pm On Jun 26, 2015
Oduok:
Though I would never have rejected a well paid job. But when it was not forth coming I had to make use of every opportunity available for me. I finished my National Diploma in 2007 at Petroleum Training Institute (Industrial Safety and Environmental Engineering Technology), Effurun (Best Student of my class). I was not so determined at applying for jobs and I never did. Rather I applied for Industrial experience which was easier to get than employment. I started with Environmental Health Office in 2007. After one year I moved to Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) -still industrial experience.

When I completed my experience I stayed back as a casual staff where I was preparing to get admission back to school for my Bachelor's degree. I had admission in 2010 to study Chemical Engineering in UNIUYO, through UME - not even direct entry.

I hussled, did weekend home lesson, registered a consulting business and did minor consulting services in downstream Petroleum Sector. In my sophomore year I won the PTDF scholarship for my programme. Within the five years, I went back to DPR for more six months industrial experience and Exxonmobil for another six months experience. Now I am a graduate with experience (graduated best in my class with 4.40 CGPA). Looking ahead.

I'm not so much moved with applying for jobs - though would not hessitate to get a good offer that would come on merit. I'm planning to make the consulting business I registered more organised with full incorporation. I picked interest in Organic oils, Soap, and Detergent in my undergraduate - had done a project on that.

I'm now working on raising money to setup a plant for production of these products. Presently i'm partnering with a collegue and we are running an evening school. I have always approached life with a positive mindset. Though not too rich (financially) right now but i'm not begging. Sponsored myself successfully through out my degree. Built a mini flat in my father's compound and have a great wealth of experience in life and career. I believe my story can be of encouragement to someone.

U have a good story
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jun 26, 2015
Ephemmm:
Not everybody is destined to be an entrepreneur: wishing you good luck under Buhari's administration.
Is everyone destined to trek around with brown envelopes containing worn out credentials?

1 Like

Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by ugoezeik(m): 1:33pm On Jun 26, 2015
wetin com concern me nw ehhhh
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by quatum: 1:44pm On Jun 26, 2015
My frnd works in dt DPR IN WARRI

THE GET BADT MONEY smiley

NA 2.2 HIM GET FOR ENGR

I WANT DT PLACE WITH GP OF GREATER THAN 2.2
HELP ME GOD
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by stonecoldcafe: 1:49pm On Jun 26, 2015
shachris02:
this is more of a self praising thread.

Tsk tsk! Do you have a low self esteem? I didn't think it was self praise. It was more of encouragement to me. @op God bless you
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by kayusbrown(m): 1:51pm On Jun 26, 2015
You are not alone. I currently run an IT firm with my bro. We both graduated top of our classes. After about two years of futile job hunts with interviews in companies like shell, NLNG, Mantrac etc. we decided to quit the rat race and create jobs for ourselves. Today, we are employers though getting here wasn't a walk in the park.

For those screaming oil companies, we can't all work in oil companies. I dropped the 'oil company mentality' after being interviewed twice by NLNG (Trainee Electrical officer position in 2011 and Trainee Operator position in 2013) without a job offer. While chasing the oil companies, I rejected some offers especially from some start-up factories at Agbara looking for Trainee Engineers. It takes more than just good grades, professional competence and experience to land a job in oil companies. You need luck more than anything because you will be competing with the best of the best and those with formidable connections. I'm not giving up anyway because I still have a pending interview with NNPC.

Since age is still on your side (I presume), I'll advise you give the oil majors some shots. You might get lucky and if you do, it will avail you the opportunity to raise the much needed capital for your business(at least 60% then you can use your landed property as collateral to secure the remaining 40% as loan). However, I won't advice you to go into small scale manufacturing or production. The risk of failure is very high in that area with power and competition with imported goods as major factors.

4 Likes

Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jun 26, 2015
Ralphlauren:
lol. you have a very good CGPA of 4.40 in an engineering course and you would rather not go around applying for jobs.

issokay grin grin

if only you know what your mates (and maybe juniors) with pooer CGPAs are earning in oil companies, you will change your mindset ASAP

It should be poorer not pooer angry

Vandalization of British English.
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by Totfulguy: 2:18pm On Jun 26, 2015
Oduok:
Though I would never have rejected a well paid job. But when it was not forth coming I had to make use of every opportunity available for me. I finished my National Diploma in 2007 at Petroleum Training Institute (Industrial Safety and Environmental Engineering Technology), Effurun (Best Student of my class). I was not so determined at applying for jobs and I never did. Rather I applied for Industrial experience which was easier to get than employment. I started with Environmental Health Office in 2007. After one year I moved to Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) -still industrial experience.

When I completed my experience I stayed back as a casual staff where I was preparing to get admission back to school for my Bachelor's degree. I had admission in 2010 to study Chemical Engineering in UNIUYO, through UME - not even direct entry.

I hussled, did weekend home lesson, registered a consulting business and did minor consulting services in downstream Petroleum Sector. In my sophomore year I won the PTDF scholarship for my programme. Within the five years, I went back to DPR for more six months industrial experience and Exxonmobil for another six months experience. Now I am a graduate with experience (graduated best in my class with 4.40 CGPA). Looking ahead.

I'm not so much moved with applying for jobs - though would not hessitate to get a good offer that would come on merit. I'm planning to make the consulting business I registered more organised with full incorporation. I picked interest in Organic oils, Soap, and Detergent in my undergraduate - had done a project on that.

I'm now working on raising money to setup a plant for production of these products. Presently i'm partnering with a collegue and we are running an evening school. I have always approached life with a positive mindset. Though not too rich (financially) right now but i'm not begging. Sponsored myself successfully through out my degree. Built a mini flat in my father's compound and have a great wealth of experience in life and career. I believe my story can be of encouragement to someone.

I hear vision and determination. Keep it up!
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by xender(m): 2:19pm On Jun 26, 2015
iz lyk I no u oo did u say u finis 4rm pti
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by mikolo80: 2:42pm On Jun 26, 2015
Oduok:

dude pls could you give me a summary of what "consulting" for oil company means in plain mans english
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by mrlaw93(m): 3:12pm On Jun 26, 2015
Pls bros.. How old are you?

1 Like

Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by poweredcom(m): 3:25pm On Jun 26, 2015
Why won't he boast he is not looking for job when his father has made way for him in PTF n also gave land to built his mini flat him mind rest na....so we nkor wey our papa no get nkor make we de find job or hustle to survive

1 Like

Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by sonnyudoh(m): 3:28pm On Jun 26, 2015
Pls op how old r u
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by sweat4wat(m): 3:30pm On Jun 26, 2015
Nice drive broo wish you all the best in the business world
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by vislabraye(m): 3:36pm On Jun 26, 2015
sonofananimal:

YOU ARE WRONG.

EVEN WITH EXPERIENCE, THOSE COMPANY WILL TURN YOU DOWN. MOST OIL COMPANY HERE IN NIGERIA ARE HAVING SERIOUS POLITICAL ISSUE, EITHER YOU HAVE A GOD FATHER OR SOMEONE WHO KNOW SOMEONE,

FIRST CLASS OR SECOND CLASS NO EVEN MATTER NOW. I DON SEE MANY LOWER CLASS CREDIT FOR THAT COMPANY.

Lower grades like 3rd class or pass ? I've heard lower grades working in places like DPR and NNPC but never heard of that in Shell, Chevron or Mobil.
You may not completely eliminate man know man but I've heard quite a few folkd working in these companies without connection.

1 Like

Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by vislabraye(m): 3:44pm On Jun 26, 2015
poweredcom:
Why won't he boast he is not looking for job when his father has made way for him in PTF n also gave land to built his mini flat him mind rest na....so we nkor wey our papa no get nkor make we de find job or hustle to survive

Poweredcom, you dey come here sef ? grin

You get point sha. What I know be say no man can succeed alone. I don't believe there's any self made man in that sense. At some point in time, we all received help from someone.
But I wont take anything from him. He's hardworking and innovative.
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by Bonjelomo: 4:02pm On Jun 26, 2015
E get as e be
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by Fynpatra(f): 4:27pm On Jun 26, 2015
Ephemmm:
Though not discouraging you, but the truth is that not everybody is destined to be an entrepreneur: if everybody is a teacher, who will be the student? If everybody is a Lawyer, who will be the client? If everybody is a producer, who will be the consumer? If everybody is an entrepreneur, who will be your labour slaves? tongue tongue

Before being posted to North under Boko Haram territory, I worked and toiled diligently before graduation: I jumped into professional programme, which consumed the largest percentage of my salary immediately I got my first job. throughout this period, socialization perishes: religious activities were reduced to barest minimum: I closed eyes before giving: no gyration. In fact, the only thing I manage to do without then is watching two 'team' - Barcelona and Lionel Merciless Mercy: may God bless me for being among the generation who live to witness that 'god of soccer'. I can't just continue with such struggling at least for some foreseeable future now.

According to the Bible, 'for everything under the heaven, there is time'. Therefore, it is time to reap and step up my connectivity before putting on the thinking cap of entrepreneur. Lord I thank you for employment opportunities that always come my way in the face of rampant unemployment: glory be unto your holy name.

Op! This might be your own appropriate time to venture into entrepreneurship: I wish you good luck under Buhari's administration.

Front Page thing

Dedicated this to my mummy who passed away while I was in Primary four: It clocks 24years in this month of June when you left your one and only son behind. To me -

"You are costlier than gold
Precious than silver
Beautiful than diamond"

I love you mum.........................

Mum is Happy were she is, just continue makin ha proud.
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by Spidermon: 4:28pm On Jun 26, 2015
Backgrounds are not the same. No matter how good you are in life, there are variables applicable in your case that is not available to others....
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by austin2all: 4:36pm On Jun 26, 2015
Bravo!
I'm also a graduate of PTI, effurun (m10/PEG/HND). Best graduating student in my class as well, I've been in Lagos hustling like an average Nigerian graduate out there. I'm still optimistic though, with my head held high.

I started a business last year which I'm still growing from the scratch. It's been tough though but I believe say God go do am. like an average PTI student, I still hope for an opportunity in our oil sector (at least to compensate for all the struggles in PTI - I'm sure you know how it is over there).
Abeg no forget to share any job link with me when you see any. marvelemporium@gmail.com
God bless your hustle bro.

1 Like

Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by Heroesworths(m): 4:36pm On Jun 26, 2015
I read and my heart skipped, Apart from the good write up, OP really inspires.... The FTC too :good response but bent on security.

If the OP could raise some capitals, approaches banks and investors, if only he knows how to harness Other People Money or Talents, if only he could deleted the idea of working physical for money from his brain and think deep about these golds lying around in every corners waiting to be picked ...He would be much more greater.

Because of our entitlement mentalities(Believing government or a companies should give us Job, pay our pension and give us welfare---Like the world is owing us all) Nigerians these days have closed the doors on creativity: we rather crowded a limited option than opt for unlimited opportunities. All in the name of security and not taking risk.

I don't see myself bossed around for any million and if you re thinking not taking Job and focus on raising capital for your empire... You will remain a king in the mist of Man.

To those of you who are hell bend on financial securities and high paying jobs rather than FINANCIAL FREEDOM... Just know that no amount a SLAVE earns from his MASTER, a SLAVE IS ALWAYS A SLAVE.

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by erumena(m): 5:19pm On Jun 26, 2015
Ephemmm:
Though not discouraging you, but the truth is that not everybody is destined to be an entrepreneur: if everybody is a teacher, who will be the student? If everybody is a Lawyer, who will be the client? If everybody is a producer, who will be the consumer? If everybody is an entrepreneur, who will be your labour slaves? tongue tongue

Before being posted to North under Boko Haram territory, I worked and toiled diligently before graduation: I jumped into professional programme, which consumed the largest percentage of my salary immediately I got my first job. throughout this period, socialization perishes: religious activities were reduced to barest minimum: I closed eyes before giving: no gyration. In fact, the only thing I manage to do without then is watching two 'team' - Barcelona and Lionel Merciless Mercy: may God bless me for being among the generation who live to witness that 'god of soccer'. I can't just continue with such struggling at least for some foreseeable future now.

According to the Bible, 'for everything under the heaven, there is time'. Therefore, it is time to reap and step up my connectivity before putting on the thinking cap of entrepreneur. Lord I thank you for employment opportunities that always come my way in the face of rampant unemployment: glory be unto your holy name.

Op! This might be your own appropriate time to venture into entrepreneurship: I wish you good luck under Buhari's administration.

Front Page thing

Dedicated this to my mummy who passed away while I was in Primary four: It clocks 24years in this month of June when you left your one and only begotten son behind. To me -

"You are costlier than gold
Precious than silver
Beautiful than diamond"

I love you mum.........................

God bless your mum for leaving behind a success story!
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jun 26, 2015
SammyO4real:
Il me resemble. Je deteste à cherche pour travaille aussie. Je prefere etant independant.
Lemme try
We're same. I hate looking for job also. I prefer independence.

I get am? smiley

1 Like

Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jun 26, 2015
SammyO4real:
Il me resemble. Je deteste à cherche pour travaille aussie. Je prefere etant independant.
We're same. I hate searching for job also. I prefer independence.

I get am
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by Ephemmm: 5:35pm On Jun 26, 2015
Fynpatra:

Mum is Happy were she is, just continue makin ha proud.

Yeah! I am very sure of that: she should be happy wherever she is now. But to be candid, life without mum is like running a race with handcuffs: one can only come out as the best though the help of God only.

God bless the proud mother of my unborn children.
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by Fynpatra(f): 5:42pm On Jun 26, 2015
Ephemmm:

Yeah! I am very sure of that: she should be happy wherever she is now. But to be candid, life without mum is like running a race with handcuffs: one can only come out as the best though the help of God only.

God bless the proud mother of my unborn children.
God is ur muscle bro
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jun 26, 2015
Well good opinion but let not take it too far.we all can't be an entrepreneur.but I tell if you have opportunity to work accept the offer n make more money.well in my hustle Ve done series of training but management skills is wat I lack but thank God I got a good paid job n my job gave me what I lack .so you can not know all.if we all sell who will buy our product?
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by Oduok(m): 6:17am On Jun 27, 2015
bigiyaro:
mr op go blow ur trumpet in ur village. I might b impressed wen u come out wit a life changin invention as an engineer.
one step at a time. Thanks for your time
Re: I Have Never Believed In Going Around And Applying For Jobs by Oduok(m): 6:18am On Jun 27, 2015
OnyeIbo:
We're same. I hate searching for job also. I prefer independence.
I get am
lolz.. And which language was that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Minimum Wage: Is The New Agreed Percentages For Basic PayOr Net Salary? / UNIUYO Staff Electrocuted While Reconnecting Vandalized Armored Cable (Photos) / Urgent!!! Please which of the Federal Government Jobs Should I Take?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.