Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,359 members, 7,815,762 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

$30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. (3196 Views)

$30 Billion Loan: What Buhari Must Do To Get Our Support – Igbo Lawmakers / Obasanjo To Explain What Happen To $7 Billion Left Behind By Abacha- Al-mustapha / FG Borrowed To Pay Salaries, Says Oshiomhole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

$30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by blym4real: 4:07am On Jun 24, 2015
I read an article where a past minister under jonathan administration said the past goverment left over $30 billion for the new government.

http://leadership.ng/news/442705/jonathans-minister-sulaiman-faults-pmb-on-empty-treasury-claims

I also read an article sometimes ago where the past minister of finance said the government had to borrow money to pay salaries.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/business/182543-nigerian-govt-borrowing-billions-to-pay-salaries-okonjo-iweala.html

My question: How will a government who left over $30billion had to borrow to pay salaries ?

lalasticlala , ishilove

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by dustmalik: 4:25am On Jun 24, 2015
My brother, help me ask them. Here are links to some of the publications on the said borrowed money to pay salaries. They were all published on the 6th of May 2015:

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/business/182543-nigerian-govt-borrowing-billions-to-pay-salaries-okonjo-iweala.html

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2015/05/06/fg-borrows-n473bn-to-pay-salaries-okonjo-iweala/

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/nigeria-borrows-to-pay-salaries-with-cash-crunch-worsening/

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/05/150506055148505.html

She made the revelation on the 6 May 2015. So, the question is, how come, all of a sudden, they are claiming that they left $30billion and another $2billion in the government coffers?

Cc: lalasticlala, Ishilove, I call on you guys to do the needful by moving this thread to the FP. This is, indeed, a serious question. We need to get this straight.

3 Likes

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by modath(f): 4:29am On Jun 24, 2015
He simply forgot Nigerians are one of the most educated black folks on Earth.

Don't blame him, they are used to such lies that the lines have become blurred.

5 Likes

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by eneji50(m): 4:56am On Jun 24, 2015
O'God thank u for saving this country from cluelessness,My pocket my concern,certified ebira boy

1 Like

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by Toktee(m): 6:46am On Jun 24, 2015
dustmalik:
My brother, help me ask them. Here are links to some of the publications on the said borrowed money to pay salaries. They were all published on the 6th of May 2015:

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2015/05/06/fg-borrows-n473bn-to-pay-salaries-okonjo-iweala/

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/nigeria-borrows-to-pay-salaries-with-cash-crunch-worsening/

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/05/150506055148505.html

She made the revelation on the 6 May 2015. So, the question is, how come, all of a sudden, they are claiming that they left $30billion and another $2billion in the government coffers?

Cc: lalasticlala, Ishilove, I call on you guys to do the needful by moving this thread to the FP. This is, indeed, a serious question. We need to get this straight.

this is the question that Barcanista and his co noise makers need to answer.
where is snape,temitomi and fire fire?

2 Likes

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by Nobody: 8:04am On Jun 24, 2015
Illiteracy/ignorance is really a disease. That a country borrows doesn't mean she doesn't have reserves. The $30bn and $2bn left in the External Reserve and ECA are not subject to debate. Nigeria is indebted but we still have monies of $32b in total left in our savings. Kai Buharists o

America is Heavily indebtyed yet she has billions of dollars in reserve. Only a foooolish country will empty her reserve.

5 Likes

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by SUBMARINE: 8:15am On Jun 24, 2015
Op na Olodo

Foreign Reserve helps boast investors confidence

2 Likes

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by blym4real: 8:48am On Jun 24, 2015
barcanista:
Illiteracy/ignorance is really a disease. That a country borrows doesn't mean she doesn't have reserves. The $30bn and $2bn left in the External Reserve and ECA are not subject to debate. Nigeria is indebted but we still have monies of $32b in total left in our savings. Kai Buharists o

America is Heavily indebtyed yet she has billions of dollars in reserve. Only a foooolish country will empty her reserve.

Did America borrow to pay salaries?

A country can borrow to erect infastructures and other projects but not to pay salaries.

Can you name any country that has billions in reserve and is still borrowing to pay salaries.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by blym4real: 8:51am On Jun 24, 2015
SUBMARINE:
Op na Olodo

So money cannot be taking out of the foreign reserve.
Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by blym4real: 8:51am On Jun 24, 2015
SUBMARINE:
Op na Olodo
Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by cyril83(m): 8:57am On Jun 24, 2015
barcanista:

You don't expect reasonable and healthy government to borrow just to pay workers whil having urge sum in her reserve.

3 Likes

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by cyril83(m): 8:59am On Jun 24, 2015
blym4real:

A country can borrow to erect infastructures and other projects but not to pay salaries.

Can you name any country that has billions in reserve and is still borrowing to pay salaries.

Well said .

It's not happening anywhere.

4 Likes

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by Wildrage: 9:01am On Jun 24, 2015
blym4real:

Not just to pay salaries but to also fund a lot of other items in their budget, that's what they call deficit budgeting and as far as I know, America has never balanced her budget in the last 50yrs. It only means the short fall in revenue needed to finance a yearly budget is borrowed either internally or from creditors abroad

2 Likes

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by Caseless: 9:01am On Jun 24, 2015
blym4real:
I read an article where a past minister under jonathan administration said the past goverment left over $30 billion for the new government.
I also read an article sometimes ago where the past minister of finance said the government had to borrow money to pay salaries.

My question: How will a government who left over $30billion had to borrow to pay salaries ?
jonathan had to write to NASS to get approval to take loan of $1 billion to fight boko haram, but we're stil told we have 30billion dollar in our treasury by a failed minister.
The useless minister didn't take debt servicing into consideration. They left behind a wide debt profile and thereby creating little space for borrowing for the new administration. Buhari sat with the CBN governor before making his assertion, I dont know how the outcast minister thought he could counter from outside with lies told to him by gej. This goes to show that gej also lied to his own ministers and the minister in question is still feeding on that lies.
His comment has opened a pandora's box for gej as this will push pmb to open more file on gej and his poor handling of our resources.

3 Likes

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by dustmalik: 9:07am On Jun 24, 2015
blym4real:

^^^ what he said. Also, we were made to believe that we have the largest economy in Africa, and 26th in the world. Where on earth does a healthy economy borrows money to pay for salaries?

2 Likes

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by blym4real: 9:11am On Jun 24, 2015
Wildrage:

Not just to pay salaries but to also fund a lot of other items in their budget, that's what they call deficit budgeting and as far as I know, America has never balanced her budget in the last 50yrs. It only means the short fall in revenue needed to finance a yearly budget is borrowed either internally or from creditors abroad
Go and read what okonjo Iwela said again.

She clearly stated the amount that was borrowed to fund salary payments.
Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by Nobody: 9:12am On Jun 24, 2015
The reserve is for a purpose and not meant to be depleted. That FG borrowed to pay workers is due to revenue shortfall is no blunder. No serious government empties its treasury just like that. Buhari will be foolish to spend all the money in the reserve.
cyril83:

You don't expect reasonable and healthy government to borrow just to pay workers whil having urge sum in her reserve.
Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by anulaxad(m): 9:16am On Jun 24, 2015
barcanista:
The reserve is for a purpose and not meant to be depleted. That FG borrowed to pay workers is due to revenue shortfall is no blunder. No serious government empties its treasury just like that. Buhari will be foolish to spend all the money in the reserve.

Absolutely. So tell your common ignorant GEJITES that the main treasury account the federal account is empty as the excess crude account and foreign reserves shouldn't even be considered to borrow from. However, Gej and his cronies have completely emptied the main account for the treasury leaving Buhari no choice but to borrow from our rainy day reserves.

2 Likes

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 24, 2015
blym4real:

You don't even understand stuffs. In the 2015 budget, Nigeria has over N1trn deficit as projected. She is meant to borrow N882b or $4.4billion dollars. The government announced that it has already borrowed N447billion to meet up expenditure INCLUDInG workers salaries. Where do you expect the government to get money to make up the deficit? Inasmuch as it is unhealthy for a country to resort to borrowing to pay salaries, it is also FOOLISH to empty treasury jst to avoid borrowing. The borrowing for salaries was even for this year not that it is a recurring exercise. This doesn't negate the fact that we have 30billon dollars in reserve and 2billion dollars in ECA

2 Likes

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by mrmetoo1: 9:24am On Jun 24, 2015
I still don't even get all the hoopla from this debt and empty treasury. That's all we've heard, empty treasury and debt. What I'm interested in, is how did we get there?

It's not a big deal to owe, it's not a big deal for treasury to be empty, this is my opinion. In a developing nation like Nigeria, I really don't even expect us to just have money just lying somewhere. To me, it's like your kids are starving right now and you're talking about saving money. I run a construction company and debt and empty account is not new as long as your projects are going on as planned, workers and suppliers are being paid for the most part. Then as long as the money coming in after work done covers your debt, then it's not a problem.

What we need to start hearing is if the empty treasury/debt is commensurate with the projects, development, programs, etc out there. The FG borrowed $1b to fight Boko Haram, can we account for it and prove that the money was spent on exactly that? Or do we have an empty treasury because the money was used to fund few individuals' lifestyle.

So I'm not particularly happy/sad about this news, I think the president has to reveal more for this to have any meaning to me, just saying empty treasury is not telling the whole story and I think we deserve to know the full story. Let's see what's going to be uncovered in the next few months.

4 Likes

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by Wildrage: 9:24am On Jun 24, 2015
blym4real:

Go and read what okonjo Iwela said again.

She clearly stated the amount that was borrowed to fund salary payments.

I do not need to read Okonjo to know that funds were borrowed to finance capital and recurrent expenditures due to massive shortfall in the projected revenue for the year. If you base your yearly budget on a projected revenue of say 1bn and in the course of the year there is a massive and unforeseen disruption to your source(s) of revenue bringing down the realised revenue to N600b, it's only logical that the shortfall has to be sourced through borrowing
Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by Nobody: 9:29am On Jun 24, 2015
It is very clear that you are speaking out of Ignorance. Every month the FG allocates monies to MDAs, pay contractors, pay workers and also earn salaries. All these monies are drawn from the FG Account. Because most times there is shortfall in revenue or due to unforseen circumstannces, even the allocation to the FG is not always enough. Why do you think the FG had to borrow $1b dollars to fund the military last year? Why do you think the FG had to borrow to make up payment of wages and salaries? Do you think monies fall from the sky or there is a Big money somewhere? The FG exhaust every dime in the FG Account because it is meant for that purpose. You will complain if salaries are not paid. Ask Aregbesola or any governor how things are done.

As for crises/emergency, the Sovereign Wealth Fund/ECA is statutorily meant to take care of that and NOT FG share of revenue allocation. You should stop arguinng what you don't know.

The FG Account isn't for safe-keeping! The FG Account isn't for "savings". Why can't you people understand that savings/treasury is the External Reserve and ECA? Is it so hard to understand that the FG Account is not meant to have leftovers but for funding operations of the government? Kai Buharists are ignorant
anulaxad:

Absolutely. So tell your common ignorant GEJITES that the main treasury account the federal account is empty as the excess crude account and foreign reserves shouldn't even be considered to borrow from. However, Gej and his cronies have completely emptied the main account for the treasury leaving Buhari no choice but to borrow from our rainy day reserves.

3 Likes

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by vedaxcool(m): 9:30am On Jun 24, 2015
Jonathan is gone but his cluelessness lives on in his ministers. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by Caseless: 9:30am On Jun 24, 2015
barcanista:
[s]The reserve is for a purpose and not meant to be depleted. That FG borrowed to pay workers is due to revenue shortfall is no blunder. No serious government empties its treasury just like that. Buhari will be foolish to spend all the money in the reserve.[/s]
you should also tell us what gej met there in the treasury and why he left it the way he did. It shows gej emptied the treasury for irrelevant things, but when it comes to an issue that's critical like security, he had to go and borrow because he so love the treasury, we have $30billion and didnt want to deplete it?
For gej to leave what he left behind and had to borrow in time of security needs shows he's a foolish liar.
#iHateToQuoteYou but i had to do this.

3 Likes

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by Nobody: 10:12am On Jun 24, 2015
barcanista:
It is very clear that you are speaking out of Ignorance. Every month the FG allocates monies to MDAs, pay contractors, pay workers and also earn salaries. All these monies are drawn from the FG Account. Because most times there is shortfall in revenue or due to unforseen circumstannces, even the allocation to the FG is not always enough. Why do you think the FG had to borrow $1b dollars to fund the military last year? Why do you think the FG had to borrow to make up payment of wages and salaries? Do you think monies fall from the sky or there is a Big money somewhere? The FG exhaust every dime in the FG Account because it is meant for that purpose. You will complain if salaries are not paid. Ask Aregbesola or any governor how things are done.

As for crises/emergency, the Sovereign Wealth Fund/ECA is statutorily meant to take care of that and NOT FG share of revenue allocation. You should stop arguinng what you don't know.

The FG Account isn't for safe-keeping! The FG Account isn't for "savings". Why can't you people understand that savings/treasury is the External Reserve and ECA? Is it so hard to understand that the FG Account is not meant to have leftovers but for funding operations of the government? Kai Buharists are ignorant

. . . . . . . . . . .coconut head, stop displaying your obvious limitation of knowledge

. . . . . .unintelligent minion, I wanted to ignore your latest gibberish and allow you wallow in ignorance . . . . . . . . .but it seems your coconut head is hard to learn . . . . . . . . . . .

number 1; the federal government has a savings account, Nigeria's gross reserves are made up of a) CBN external reserves b) excess crude account c) federal government savings . . . . . . . .minion, CBN has a website which you can verify

number 2; the excess crude account is not a solely FG account and has only about $2bn in it!!

number 3; the bulk of the money you refer to, belongs to the CBN external reserves . . . . . . .the external reserves is statutory managed by the CBN and its used to safeguard the value of the legal tender as well as settle foreign currency obligation.

3 Likes

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by blym4real: 10:20am On Jun 24, 2015
barcanista:
You don't even understand stuffs. In the 2015 budget, Nigeria has over N1trn deficit as projected. She is meant to borrow N882b or $4.4billion dollars. The government announced that it has already borrowed N447billion to meet up expenditure INCLUDInG workers salaries. Where do you expect the government to get money to make up the deficit? Inasmuch as it is unhealthy for a country to resort to borrowing to pay salaries, it is also FOOLISH to empty treasury jst to avoid borrowing. The borrowing for salaries was even for this year not that it is a recurring exercise. This doesn't negate the fact that we have 30billon dollars in reserve and 2billion dollars in ECA

you said in your earlier post that a government shouldn't deplete its foreign reserve, but during OBJ and yaradua tenure that was when we had the highest reserve, from your analogy one would expect the reserve to increase under Jonathan administration but instead it was depleted not minding the fact that the administration enjoyed the highest price of crude oil in the history of Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:21am On Jun 24, 2015
blym4real:

Teaching saTANoids is like pouring water on a duck. Like I always say, they are all blockheads and clueless.

God bless the President.

2 Likes

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by Pavore9: 10:27am On Jun 24, 2015
When a National government borrows to pays the salaries of its workers, it is an undisputed indication that the Economy is not healthy. A man can not claim to be financial comfortable while his wife is collecting pepper, salt, onions on credit!

2 Likes

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by ERODEDEAST(f): 10:27am On Jun 24, 2015
Well let Boo.hari come from West Germini he will know.
Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by Nobody: 10:37am On Jun 24, 2015
blym4real:

you said in your earlier post that a government shouldn't deplete its foreign reserve, but during OBJ and yaradua tenure that was when we had the highest reserve, from your analogy one would expect the reserve to increase under Jonathan administration but instead it was depleted not minding the fact that the administration enjoyed the highest price of crude oil in the history of Nigeria.
Yes, during Obj's time we enjoyed increased reserve and ECA. As at May 2007, the gross res“The facts are clear and indisputable. At the end of May 2007, Nigeria’s gross reserves stood at $43.13bn, comprising the CBN’s external reserves of $31.5bn; $9.43bn in the Excess Crude Account; and $2.18bn in the Federal Government’s savings. The ECA was heavily depleted thanks to the Governors that demanded for its sharing. What is left in ECA is now $2billion dollars. The External reserve is at $30billion remember it was from this fund that the CBN used in defending the falling Naira. The Government had shortfall in revenue and used up the monies in FG Account plus even had to resort ro borrow to make it statutory demand. If you want to blame anyone, blame the Governors for squandering the ECA.

1 Like

Re: $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. by Jesusloveyou: 10:39am On Jun 24, 2015
barcanista:

u are correct, but u are also wrong, d federation acc is for receiving payment like taxes and royalties, to be share among d federating unit, so where is d $30b kept, or u mean d depleted foreign reserve and excess crude acc is d same $30b u all said gej left in d treasury? but also remember how much gej met in those account when he came.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

[VIDEO] REC Mike Igini Speaks On Supreme Court Judgement On Card Reader / Oby Ezekwesili To Take Vanguard To Court (Photo) / Ekiti Breaking News Obasanjo Lands

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.