Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,621 members, 7,827,321 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. (14598 Views)

Photos Of My Snail Farm In Edo State / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Heanry(m): 8:03pm On Jun 25, 2015
Hello house, what if I keep snail in bucket that is always covered, will it affect them negatively?
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 8:05pm On Jun 25, 2015
Neduzze5:

Yeah. I hope to have almost 1, 000 before the end of August
Nice!!! I'll suggest you do the free range system..if you have enough space tho..
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 8:07pm On Jun 25, 2015
akhis:

Do you mean u bought about 35 snails for 600? Pls where is your location and can we see the pix to know the sizes?
Yeah it's measured in mudu ...i uploaded pics earlier ...
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by chuka85(m): 11:01pm On Jun 25, 2015
Iam challenged and motivated as well, my dear, i hv been nursing d idea of starting snail farm buh procastination hv delt wit me...... Pls i need ur contacts so i can get a beta info via whatsapp
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 11:35pm On Jun 25, 2015
kunlesufyan:

Nice!!! I'll suggest you do the free range system..if you have enough space tho..

Hehehe @ free range. Won't they climb through the fence and run away?
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 11:46pm On Jun 25, 2015
Neduzze5:

Hehehe @ free range. Won't they climb through the fence and run away?
Lol...no ooo...free range for snails isn't like chickens ...free range is an enclosure but much bigger than the normal pen .it could be as big as a living room....but it will be built like their normal habitat in the bush.
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 11:49pm On Jun 25, 2015
Heanry:
Hello house, what if I keep snail in bucket that is always covered, will it affect them negatively?
Lol...they ll need space to breath na
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 11:53pm On Jun 25, 2015
kunlesufyan:

Lol...no ooo...free range for snails isn't like chickens ...free range is an enclosure but much bigger than the normal pen .it could be as big as a living room....but it will be built like their normal habitat in the bush.

Lolz... I for talk na. No worry, you go soon dey hear my name!!
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 11:55pm On Jun 25, 2015
Neduzze5:

Lolz... I for talk na. No worry, you go soon dey hear my name!!
Lol...naso..we dey the game together ..where's your location
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 12:01am On Jun 26, 2015
kunlesufyan:

Lol...naso..we dey the game together ..where's your location

I'm in Port Harcourt. And you?
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 12:04am On Jun 26, 2015
Neduzze5:

I'm in Port Harcourt. And you?
Abuja...
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 12:08am On Jun 26, 2015
kunlesufyan:

Abuja...

That's good. Will be a good place to sell these.

I've cucumber growing in my garden. I planted watermelon today. Tomorrow or next, I'll plant cabbage. Three days after dat, I'll plant "ugu' leaves. Next week or next two weeks, I'll plant pawpaw.

Want to be sourcing the food for my snails locally. If you have a free plot of land or less, I suggest you do the same.
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 12:11am On Jun 26, 2015
Neduzze5:

That's good. Will be a good place to sell these.

I've cucumber growing in my garden. I planted watermelon today. Tomorrow or next, I'll plant cabbage. Three days after dat, I'll plant "ugu' leaves. Next week or next two weeks, I'll plant pawpaw.

Want to be sourcing the food for my snails locally. If you have a free plot of land or less, I suggest you do the same.
Wow nice concept ...no much space here..I already have the ugwu growing sha...I'll look for pawpaw ,I don't like the ones that grow too tall ..
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 12:12am On Jun 26, 2015
kunlesufyan:

Wow nice concept ...no much space here..I already have the ugwu growing sha...I'll look for pawpaw ,I don't like the ones that grow too tall ..

Yeah. I've ordered the Thailand variety of pawpaw from a nairalander. I'm expecting it next week or later.
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 12:14am On Jun 26, 2015
Neduzze5:

Yeah. I've ordered the Thailand variety of pawpaw from a nairalander. I'm expecting it next week or later.
Nice nice !!!
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 12:15am On Jun 26, 2015
kunlesufyan:

Nice nice !!!

Yeah... God dey
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by geeud(f): 7:07am On Jun 26, 2015
Tnk you all for your good advices and suggestions,

I have started picking up wild snails in my environment as of yester night

but I still want to know how long it takes these snails to mature and lay eggs?
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 7:13am On Jun 26, 2015
geeud:
Tnk you all for your good advices and suggestions,

I have started picking up wild snails in my environment as of yester night

but I still want to know how long it takes these snails to mature and lay eggs?

Pictures of your snail will help us advice you better
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 8:32am On Jun 26, 2015
Neduzze5:

Pictures of your snail will help us advice you better
Went to check em snails and found 7eggs buried ...what did you do with the eggs you found in yours ?
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by TheUnbeatable(m): 10:56am On Jun 26, 2015
@Op :
Let me try and help you.
In your first post, you said you wanted something that can fetch you cash on your own.(translated).
I like first timers or start ups and I enjoy the peopled that mock my contradictory statements. Snailry is not a quick money spiner like poultry or other business. It takes 6 - 9 months or even more for snails to reach maturity. Say 300- 600 grammes. I think what you need is put that 40k into second level agribusiness. (middlemen business). Why don't you retail eggs or distribute eggs? This will make you more active and give you a daily cash flow? What of fruits vending? All you need is a good location that you can even get for free and 40k is a good start. What of pork business. Buy pig, let them kill it for you, you dress and sell in offices. In this you have created work for yourself.

Back to snailry. All these people encouraging you will soon vanish when smut invades your pen. Smut is just like the snail but has no shell. You will not notice until your snails remain may be 10. That is when you will evaluate and catch the culprit. That methos you are using invite soldier ants and when there is excessive water, the snails drown! When you give then sugary things, gbosa, you have introduced problems. Waterleaf gives them diarrhoea. Do you know that snails have voracious appetite too? Like pigs? Do you know they eat kitchen waste? Do you know they are cannibalistic? Do you know that snails also loose appetite? Do you know when they hibernate they can die with time? Do you know the water in the intestine of snail when mixed with honey in a certain proportion is the cure for asthma?

I am not here to show muscle but please. There are more things behind no 6 that is much more thatn what eyes can catch.

If you want cash flow that will catter for your daily living, don't waste your time and money on snails.

God bless you.

5 Likes

Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 12:31pm On Jun 26, 2015
kunlesufyan:

Went to check em snails and found 7eggs buried ...what did you do with the eggs you found in yours ?

Wow!! 7 eggs already!! That's a whole lot. Don't worry, I'll answer you with pictures very soon.
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 3:31pm On Jun 26, 2015
kunlesufyan:

I buried them under a different bucket. That will be my hatchery from now onwards cheesy

First pic is when I covered them with sand

2nd pic is when I had to open it up to snap

Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 8:06pm On Jun 26, 2015
Neduzze5:

I buried them under a different bucket. That will be my hatchery from now onwards cheesy

First pic is when I covered them with sand

2nd pic is when I had to open it up to snap
Owwk nice ...I did the same thing ..it was actually 12 eggs + I separated the bigger ones from the smaller since they are already laying eggs ..
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 8:15pm On Jun 26, 2015
kunlesufyan:

Owwk nice ...I did the same thing ..it was actually 12 eggs + I separated the bigger ones from the smaller since they are already laying eggs ..

Wow.... I'd appreciate some pictures
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 8:34pm On Jun 26, 2015
Neduzze5:

Wow.... I'd appreciate some pictures
This are the eggs ..

1 Like

Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 8:35pm On Jun 26, 2015
This are the bigger snails

Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 8:38pm On Jun 26, 2015
kunlesufyan:

This are the eggs ..

Please cover them very well ooh and make sure the soil isn't too wet or too dry
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 8:43pm On Jun 26, 2015
kunlesufyan:
This are the bigger snails

What of the smaller ones?
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 8:53pm On Jun 26, 2015
Neduzze5:

What of the smaller ones?
Here they are

1 Like

Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 9:00pm On Jun 26, 2015
Wow... Yours will mature fully before mine.
Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 10:35pm On Jun 26, 2015
TheUnbeatable:
@Op :
Let me try and help you.
In your first post, you said you wanted something that can fetch you cash on your own.(translated).
I like first timers or start ups and I enjoy the peopled that mock my contradictory statements. Snailry is not a quick money spiner like poultry or other business. It takes 6 - 9 months or even more for snails to reach maturity. Say 300- 600 grammes. I think what you need is put that 40k into second level agribusiness. (middlemen business). Why don't you retail eggs or distribute eggs? This will make you more active and give you a daily cash flow? What of fruits vending? All you need is a good location that you can even get for free and 40k is a good start. What of pork business. Buy pig, let them kill it for you, you dress and sell in offices. In this you have created work for yourself.

Back to snailry. All these people encouraging you will soon vanish when smut invades your pen. Smut is just like the snail but has no shell. You will not notice until your snails remain may be 10. That is when you will evaluate and catch the culprit. That methos you are using invite soldier ants and when there is excessive water, the snails drown! When you give then sugary things, gbosa, you have introduced problems. Waterleaf gives them diarrhoea. Do you know that snails have voracious appetite too? Like pigs? Do you know they eat kitchen waste? Do you know they are cannibalistic? Do you know that snails also loose appetite? Do you know when they hibernate they can die with time? Do you know the water in the intestine of snail when mixed with honey in a certain proportion is the cure for asthma?

I am not here to show muscle but please. There are more things behind no 6 that is much more thatn what eyes can catch.

If you want cash flow that will catter for your daily living, don't waste your time and money on snails.

God bless you.
It's a good thing you pointed out that we r first timers ,let's now assume the op forgoes the snail thingy and goes into poultry or fruit vending (poultry self get him own disease oo..aside the fact that lotsa money will be spent on feeding them) ..its not like its gonna be easy at first,..she will surely have challenges and over time will learn ways to overcome them..even for the egg distribution,op will have to search for who supplies will be made to whc inturn makes her a competitor amongst the numerous egg suppliers our there (obviously it isn't a new venture) .you pointed out that you ran a successful snailery..i guess that how you know the things you stated .I personally wouldn't mind if you infer tips and tricks that made it successfully ...all I'm saying is,what ever venture she want to indulge in ...focus and dedication has to be poured into it ( me self want quick cash ,but slow and steady wins the race )...bless sir

7 Likes

Re: Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. by kunlesufyan(m): 10:36pm On Jun 26, 2015
Neduzze5:
Wow... Yours will mature fully before mine.
Hows your pen like ?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

New NYSC Posting Policy: Rural, Education, Agriculture Only / SONGHAI FARMS TRAINING: Let's Plan & Attend Together / Sale Of Poultry Equipment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.