Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,210 members, 7,818,707 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:27 PM

2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group (8354 Views)

5 Interesting Things About The Yoruba People / Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / RESULTS: Annual Nairaland State Census (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by pazienza(m): 10:02pm On Jun 29, 2015
scholes0:

The groups I talked about are not mushroom groups Mr.
And since you said "I shouldn't expect all groups to be counted" by your dear colonialists, whom you claim are aware of all cultural groups in Nigeria..... Any sane person would therefore deem those figures wrong.

You are still clutching at straws. Keep it up. At this rate, you will ask for your village name amongst the groups.
Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by scholes0(m): 10:08pm On Jun 29, 2015
pazienza:

You are still clutching at straws. Keep it up. At this rate, you will ask for your village name amongst the groups.

You said it yourself.... Not all groups were counted. The Igbominas for example are more then the Ijebus. There was even a group there known as "Popo Ewe" who are not even Yorubas at all...... so, I am not asking for "My Village" here, I am asking for major, well known Yoruba sub-ethnicities.
Should we therefore take the figures taken by such an exercise as accurate.... oh I forgot , it is accurate to you since it shows Igbos are double the Yorubas in number? Dude give it up.
Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by macof(m): 10:08pm On Jun 29, 2015
scholes0:

Yoruba and Hausa population has always been neck to neck. It is the Population of HAUSA LANGUAGE SPEAKERS that outnumber that of yoruba language speakers.
You won't classify a Berom indigene of Jos, or a Nupe indigene of Bida, or a Kanuri indigene from Pottiskum who Speak Hausa as a means of communicating with other Northern Peoples as Hausa would you? .... It's the same way Scots who speak nothing but English are still not English.
Spoken Language is not Ethnic identity.

And you think language is not a factor in determining ethnic identity? Haven't you heard the term "ethnic assimilation"

I do understand your point but ethnicity has more to do with what you do and where you are than where you come from and what you used to do
Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by scholes0(m): 10:09pm On Jun 29, 2015
macof:

And you think language is not a factor in determining ethnic identity? Haven't you heard the term "ethnic assimilation"

I do understand your point but ethnicity has more to do with what you do and where you are than where you come from and what you used to do

I am simply telling you that not all groups who speak Hausa , see themselves as same.
You disagree?

1 Like

Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by macof(m): 10:12pm On Jun 29, 2015
pazienza:

You have been warned, you have no monopoly to use of foul language. This is the second time you are using foul language on me. If you cant stand the heat, leave the kitchen. Any other attempt by you to denigrate my person, will be met with worst derogatory words, respect yourself.
Then try to be less of a dunce

1 Like

Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by macof(m): 10:14pm On Jun 29, 2015
scholes0:

I am simply telling you that not all groups who speak Hausa , see themselves as same.
You disagree?
No

1 Like

Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by pazienza(m): 10:15pm On Jun 29, 2015
macof:

Then try to be less of a dunce

You are a silly thing. A jellyfish, stop quoting me, I am allergic to brainless I.diots like you.
Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by scholes0(m): 10:16pm On Jun 29, 2015
macof:

No

Good.
Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by pazienza(m): 10:17pm On Jun 29, 2015
scholes0:

You said it yourself.... Not all groups were counted. The Igbominas for example are more then the Ijebus. There was even a group there known as "Popo Ewe" who are not even Yorubas at all...... so, I am not asking for "My Village" here, I am asking for major, well known Yoruba sub-ethnicities.
Should we therefore take the figures taken by such an exercise as accurate.... oh I forgot , it is accurate to you since it shows Igbos are double the Yorubas in number? Dude give it up.

All groups were counted, under larger groups. I think you had already given it up, right from the moment you joined this discussion.
Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by scholes0(m): 10:26pm On Jun 29, 2015
pazienza:

All groups were counted, under larger groups. I think you had already given it up, right from the moment you joined this discussion.

What part of the document states so?
Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by tonychristopher: 10:28pm On Jun 29, 2015
scholes0:

The groups I talked about are not mushroom groups Mr.
And since you said "I shouldn't expect all groups to be counted" by your dear colonialists, whom you claim are aware of all cultural groups in Nigeria..... Any sane person would therefore deem those figures wrong.

I live in Lagos when was this census conducted pls
Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by scholes0(m): 10:29pm On Jun 29, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by pazienza(m): 10:37pm On Jun 29, 2015
scholes0:

What part of the document states so?

The page 7 of that document. It accurately mentioned the boundaries of Yorubaland. And it included those that lived North of the region where the River Niger met the River Benue, ie, North of Lokoja representing the Northern Yorubas( Okun and Kwara groups) and then to the coasts, which covers the Aworis, Ilajes and the rest.
Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by scholes0(m): 10:44pm On Jun 29, 2015
The term "Igbo" often denotes community or the inhabited
world as in the expression "Igbo bi.a lere" (World or whole
community, come see). Igbo language belongs to the NigerCongo
family/ "Benue-Congo" group of languages. It has
dozens of geographical dialects and is also surrounded by yet
other dozens of closely related Niger-Congo languages. These
related language subgroups are: Edoid (in the west), Defoid (in
the west and northwest), Idomoid (in the north), Lower Cross
(in the east and south), and Ijo (in the south). Igbo is the
second most populous indigenous language of southern
Nigeria.
http://www.nalrc.indiana.edu/brochures/igbo.pdf
https://www.africa.upenn.edu/sites/www.africa.upenn.edu/files/African%20Language%20Offerings%20-%20AFST.pdf

Need I say more ....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by pazienza(m): 11:00pm On Jun 29, 2015
"To show you an example of census fraud
look at the census recorded population
growth of Enugu (1921-2006):
1921 - 3,170
1931 - 12,959
1953 - 62,764
1963 - 138,457
1982 - 349,873
1983 - 367,567
1984 - 385,735
1987 - 446,535
1991 - 407,756
2002 - 595,000
2006 - 722,664
(From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Enugu#Demographics
(Check the sources))
From the bolded you can see that there
government wanted us to believe that
39,000 people just vanished from Enugu
in 4 years from 1987 to 1991. Then we
can see how the growth rate after the
1991 suddenly tumbles from the rapid
growth seen before, between 1963 and
1983 Enugu grew by around 3 times.
Nigeria itself is a sham and this thread,
although needed for some, is a redundant
reminder for the majority of people".
Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by pazienza(m): 11:04pm On Jun 29, 2015
scholes0:

http://www.nalrc.indiana.edu/brochures/igbo.pdf
https://www.africa.upenn.edu/sites/www.africa.upenn.edu/files/African%20Language%20Offerings%20-%20AFST.pdf

Need I say more ....

Regurgitating lies over and over doesn't make it true. Yorubas must realize that the era when Ndiigbo left the print media for you lots to use and spread your Igbophobic propaganda unmitigated has long gone. The era when you claimed to be the most educated and populous, just by repeating it on the pages of newspapers until gullible masses accept your lies as the truth. That era is gone, and is not coming back, you must learn to live with that reality, I know it's hard for you.

No ethnic census has ever been conducted in Nigeria.
Even the 1921 was not a census but an estimation.

But all non politicized stats / estimations has consistently shown that Ndiigbo are more populous than Yorubas.
Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by macof(m): 11:07pm On Jun 29, 2015
pazienza:

You are a silly thing. A jellyfish, stop quoting me, I am allergic to brainless I.diots like you.
while you have resorted to insults without basis I stil maintain that you are a dunce for saying Igbos are double the population of Yorubas

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by scholes0(m): 11:10pm On Jun 29, 2015
pazienza:

Regurgitating lies over and over doesn't make it true. Yorubas must realized that the era when Ndiigbo left the print media for you lots to use and spread your Igbophobic propaganda unmitigated has long gone. The era when claim to be most educated and populous, just by repeating it on the pages of newspapers until gullible masses accept your lies as the truth. That era is gone, and is not coming back, you must learn to live with that reality, I know it's hard for you.

No ethnic census has ever been conducted in Nigeria.
Even the 1927 was not a census but an estimation.

But all non politicized stats / estimations has consistently shown that Ndiigbo are more populous than Yorubas.

LOL!
Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by pazienza(m): 11:10pm On Jun 29, 2015
macof:
while you have resorted to insults without basis I stil maintain that you are a dunce for saying Igbos are double the population of Yorubas

You need a brain transplant Surgery for not knowing the universal truth, that Ndiigbo are almost double the population of the Yorubas. A goat brain can even be used for the Surgery, as a goat has a better reasoning capacity than you, as it currently stands.
Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by pazienza(m): 11:13pm On Jun 29, 2015
Anyway, this is an old topic. This is the older version of this thread. https://www.nairaland.com/1366979/igbo-second-most-populous-ethnic/7
Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by macof(m): 10:36am On Jun 30, 2015
pazienza:

You need a brain transplant Surgery for not knowing the universal truth, that Ndiigbo are almost double the population of the Yorubas. A goat brain can even be used for the Surgery, as a goat has a better reasoning capacity than you, as it currently stands.

grin grin keep showing how much of a dunce bigotry has turned you into

1 Like

Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by Rivertemz: 11:38pm On Jul 03, 2015
the foolery im reading, smdh
Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by worksmart(m): 12:39pm On Aug 19, 2015
OP it doesn't matter.

We are all the same regardless of tribe or race.

We are all just human and should always be humane.
Rivertemz:
They have reached the same percentage as the Hauses (who have long been the majority), in just under 5 years.

[2014- Hausa 21%, Yoruba 21%, Igbo 18%, Fulani 11%, Others minor groups >28% ]

Yorubas will have the largest ethnic group in the country (within ~10+ years)

Source http://issuu.com/ancorapoint/docs/fascinating_nigeria_issue_3/136

1 Like

Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by ezeagu(m): 1:54pm On Aug 19, 2015
pazienza:
"To show you an example of census fraud
look at the census recorded population
growth of Enugu (1921-2006):
1921 - 3,170
1931 - 12,959
1953 - 62,764
1963 - 138,457
1982 - 349,873
1983 - 367,567
1984 - 385,735
1987 - 446,535
1991 - 407,756
2002 - 595,000
2006 - 722,664
(From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Enugu#Demographics
(Check the sources))
From the bolded you can see that there
government wanted us to believe that
39,000 people just vanished from Enugu
in 4 years from 1987 to 1991. Then we
can see how the growth rate after the
1991 suddenly tumbles from the rapid
growth seen before, between 1963 and
1983 Enugu grew by around 3 times.
Nigeria itself is a sham and this thread,
although needed for some, is a redundant
reminder for the majority of people".

Yeah, I think I saw this before. I think the other populations were done the same as well. To be honest, there are no reliable statistics out there for ethnicity, all there are are estimates based on populations of the states, and as we know those statistics are also unreliable and apart from that many people live in different states, especially Igbo people. There was never a 2014 census so this thread is misleading.
Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by ivyT(f): 11:12pm On Aug 19, 2015
pazienza:

They did house to house count, or some random Yoruba people there sat down and concocted rubbish figures to massage the ego's of their kinsmen?

Never in the history of Nigeria has Yorubas been more populous than Ndiigbo, not in the past, and certainly not in the present.

Thanks.

The op is not talking about popularity..nd he isnt comparing any tribe to another and the difference btw d 2 is relatively small with d yorubas being higher...

#NoOneIsBeingBias

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by scholes0(m): 1:20am On Aug 20, 2015
ezeagu:

Yeah, I think I saw this before. I think the other populations were done the same as well. To be honest, there are no reliable statistics out there for ethnicity, all there are are estimates based on populations of the states, and as we know those statistics are also unreliable and apart from that many people live in different states, especially Igbo people. There was never a 2014 census so this thread is misleading.

The 1963 census was the most reliable in our history ever, and It included ethnic ata.
Here is what it shows...... What is your opinion about it?

Hausa - 11,550,975 in the Northern
Yoruba - 9,667,612 in the Western, 1,144,034 in the Northern = 10,811,646
Ibo/igbo - 7,967,969 in Eastern, 612,328 in mid-West, 357,915 in Northern, 208,563 in Western = 9,146,775

Other groups - 811,625 in Western, 790,878 in Eastern, 1,035,973 in Mid-West, 5,540,773 in Northern = 8,179,248
Ibibio - 1,986,493 in Eastern
Edo - 852,570 in Midwest
Ijaw - 786,369 in Eastern
Urhobo - 516,839 in Mid West, 101,903 in Western =618,742

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by Emilokoiyawon: 5:03am On Aug 20, 2015
pazienza:

They did house to house count, or some random Yoruba people there sat down and concocted rubbish figures to massage the ego's of their kinsmen?

Never in the history of Nigeria has Yorubas been more populous than Ndiigbo, not in the past, and certainly not in the present.

Thanks.

Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by Emilokoiyawon: 5:04am On Aug 20, 2015
pazienza:

Igbos have always been more populous than Yorubas. Our civil war defeat only allowed you lots to manipulate the percentage composition of Nigerian major groups on paper, even when you lots have rejected every push by Ndiigbo to have ethnicity of origin included in the census.

One then begins to imagine where you lots manufactured the lies that Ndiigbo are but 18% of Nigerian population from, in the absence of provisions for ethnicity in the census data.

Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by Emilokoiyawon: 5:06am On Aug 20, 2015
Rivertemz:

Why are you so afraid, give me a link to this claim now !!
specifying ethnic groups, not regional % because that's stupid

Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by Emilokoiyawon: 5:09am On Aug 20, 2015
pazienza:

A 1963 population figure that has Anambra, Enugu, Ogun, Kwara, etc in its data, when those anomalies created by Gowon only started existing from 1970.

Secondly, a dubious figure that took cognizant of of Yorubas presence in Kwara and Kogi, but ignored the Igbo presence in Delta, Edo, Rivers, Benue, etc.

Thirdly, how many of those Lagos population, actually belongs to Yorubas, seeing that we have huge population of non Yorubas in Lagos,which Ndiigbo consists the majority of?

In conclusion, your link, like most things associated with your people, is nothing but an Igbophobic lie, cooked up to massage your egos, but very far from being a representation of facts or truth.

Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by Emilokoiyawon: 5:21am On Aug 20, 2015
pazienza:

Trash.

Re: 2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group by Emilokoiyawon: 5:22am On Aug 20, 2015
pazienza:
Your estimates were built on Nigerian much politicized 2006 population census. That already renders all your calculations flawed. Everybody know that the Zoo has been unable to conduct a census since it's independence. 2006 census was a joke.

All non politicized census and stats in Nigeria, like that of 1927 by the colonials and the JAMB stats all points to one universal fact: IGBOS ARE ALMOST DOUBLE THE POPULATION OF YORUBAS.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Traditional Music From Your Town/state Like? / Beautiful Wild Animals From Different Corners Of The World That You Find Exotic / Ogun Ito Sugar (diabetes)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.