Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,258 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:19 AM

How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director (2225 Views)

PMB, GEJ, Atiku: Who Would You Entrust With $200B Assets For Your Children? / Abdullahi Chiranchi, DSS Director Dies In Kano / Judge’s Bid To Stop Saraki’s Trial Thwarted, DSS Director Rallies To Sarakis Aid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by kadas01(m): 10:54pm On Jun 27, 2015
In this interview, a security consultant and former Director of the Department of  Security Service, Mike Ejiofor, speaks on the implication of the withdrawal of the DSS personnel from protecting the president.

What do you think is the implication of the withdrawal of the DSS from the Villa?

First of all, I don’t believe the story that the DSS has been withdrawn from protecting the president because his security should not be toyed with. If the president is intent on changing the security architecture, a policy formulation should be made. He should come up with a working document streamlining the different functions of the various agencies. Statutorily and constitutionally, the Department of Security Service is charged with the protection of the president, the vice president, the Senate president, the governors, deputy governors, speaker of the House of Representatives and state lawmakers and their families.
The president’s security should not be toyed with. I believe that what is going on now is people who are trying to settle personal scores. Instead of looking at national security, they want to settle personal scores and, in the process, compromise national security and the security of the president. I don’t believe it, but if it is true, it’s rather unfortunate because the military personnel being drafted are not trained in body guard protection. The DSS men are trained for VIP protection and the president falls under VIP.

Let us go down memory lane. How was the National Security Organisation formed? It was established in 1976 after the assassination of General Murtala Muhammed specifically to protect the president and maintain internal security. The NSO continued until 1986 when General  Ibrahim Babangida over threw the government of Muhammadu Buhari and clamped down on the NSO because the NSO frustrated various efforts to over throw the government. The president himself can attest to the loyalty and the defense of his government by the NSO. It so provoked Babangida that when he assumed office, he said he was going to overhaul the NSO, which led to the split of the then NSO into three bodies: the National Intelligence Agency, charged with external intelligence, the State Security Service, charged with internal security, and the Defence Intelligence Agency, which is purely a military affair. I don’t want to believe that Mr President gave that directive but silence disturbs. Government should come out to clarify the issues because the life of the president is being toyed with by people who are pursuing personal interest.

The argument is that the DSS was manifestly partisan in the run up to the election and, as such, their loyalty to the new administration cannot be guaranteed.

That argument is neither here nor there. Don’t forget that the SSS personnel are Nigerians. There are many people who have sympathy for the APC in the DSSS. There are people who also have sympathy for the PDP. There are laid down procedures for doing things. If government institutes an investigation and discovers that perhaps the leadership of the DSSS compromised in loyalty to the nation, then appropriate actions should be taken.
In 1999 when Obasanjo came in, he clamped down on the DSSS, accused it of various offences and set up the Oputa panel. Eventually the DSSS was not indicted. So if you are from afar, there are all kinds of allegations people make, but they should be subjected to investigation. What I am saying is that we should not compromise our security architecture on the altar of personal interest. People  out there to serve their personal interest are the problem. What ever happened amounts to what the APC said they were coming to fight: impunity. Also recall the directive given even before the president was sworn-in barring AIT from covering the president but it was reversed because the president said he was not aware of it.

Do you think the army has the capacity to provide close body guard protection for the president?

It is a laughable question because, on one hand, the president is directing that the military check points be withdrawn to perform their military duty. How can you now entrust the life of the president to the military when there are people who are statutorily charged with the responsibility? Whether the ADC was given the directive, he doesn’t have the authority and capacity and I stand to be challenged. It cannot come from the ADC. If government has been constituted, such matter should either come from the NSA or the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.

What do you think is the way forward?

In the present circumstance, government has to issue a statement because the statement from the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity did not deny or confirm that the DSSS has been asked to leave the Villa. There must be a specific statement on whether they have been withdrawn or not. As we speak, we don’t know the true position and it is very dangerous to the security of the president.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/the-implication-of-toying-with-mr-presidents-security-ejiofor-ex-dss-director/

CC: lalasticlala
Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by Rounakid(m): 10:58pm On Jun 27, 2015
Booked... And fenced
Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by ITbomb(m): 11:03pm On Jun 27, 2015
This is Nigeria where anything goes.

1 Like

Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by bosteps: 11:19pm On Jun 27, 2015
I wouldn't blame PMB if this directive originated from him. If I were him I wouldn't feel comfortable with DSS men so close to me considering the obvious bias the DSS leadership has shown towards the APC during the build up to the last elections. We are talking about trust issues here!

1 Like

Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by dulaman: 1:12am On Jun 28, 2015
but the DSS call the president and His party boko haram terrorist and you don't expect him to trust them.
Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by Bekwarra(m): 1:49am On Jun 28, 2015
It's like asking the CIA and the FBI to leave the White House. That's one hell of a dumb decision.

4 Likes

Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by laidian(m): 2:01am On Jun 28, 2015
How can a president entrust his life to adulterated DSS?

1 Like

Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by RHP(m): 2:12am On Jun 28, 2015
PMB and his crew knows better. All we need is good governance.
Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by seunmsg(m): 3:41am On Jun 28, 2015
It is not by force that the DSS must provide close body guard protection to the president especially, when it seems he's not even comfortable with the operatives of the agency. The DSS was too partisan under GEJ so nobody should blame PMB if he's not willing to commit his security into their hands. We are also not privy to the informations available to the president and his inner caucus.

4 Likes

Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by Rawani: 3:55am On Jun 28, 2015
How can the President entrust his life to a DSS that still parades the likes of Marilyn Ogar that stopped short of accusing him of sponsoring BH?

There are trained Presidential Bodyguards in the military and they have been in existence since the days of Abacha's strike force. Their roles and influence were significantly limited with the return to civilian rule in order to protect the seat of power.

Now a retired General feels his life is safer with his kind, and spent two weeks away from his office to ensure it was free from surveillance devices allegedly planted by the same agents that want to protect him; what on God's blessed earth is wrong with that?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by ApexTitan(m): 4:29am On Jun 28, 2015
bosteps:
I wouldn't blame PMB if this directive originated from him. If I were him I wouldn't feel comfortable with DSS men so close to me considering the obvious bias the DSS leadership has shown towards the APC during the build up to the last elections. We are talking about trust issues here!

Really? Trust issues? How about all the allegations from Buhari and APC that the military was partisan. Remember the certificate saga? How are they now to be trusted over the DSS?

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by Nobody: 4:38am On Jun 28, 2015
seunmsg:
It is not by force that the DSS must provide close body guard protection to the president especially, when it seems he's not even comfortable with the operatives of the agency. The DSS was too partisan under GEJ so nobody should blame PMB if he's not willing to commit his security into their hands. We are also not privy to the informations available to the president and his inner caucus.
Yes it's by force. Since after his swearing, he doesn't own his life no more, he's now a public property according to the law.

The ex DSS boss is very right, Buhari is behaving as if he's just here to settle scores with his perceived enemies.

Talking of training, most DSS officers assigned to such are drafted from the military or well discharged ex-military men.
Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by lameda07: 5:19am On Jun 28, 2015
Na by force say me him use Gej's loyalist for security?.

I may choose to reckon with if I say 'O' you say 'P' another man say 'C' omo naa you sabi as my desired protection. So be it.

#letthemlearntheleasonofstayingclearofpoliticking.,
Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by modath(f): 5:23am On Jun 28, 2015
In this interview, a security consultant and former Director of the Department of  Security Service, Mike Ejiofor, speaks on the implication of the withdrawal of the DSS personnel from protecting the president.

The bolded says it all!! It takes an antagonist to justify the distasteful & unwarranted attacks of other antagonists in a situation where they are even supposed to be neutral!

That Marilyn Ogah & her cohorts still have their jobs despite the openly partisan & unproffessional conduct they displayed during the election has raised PMB's bar from the already high position people hold him...

PMB is human and life has no duplicate so he would never entrust his security & life in the hands if people who claim he is/ was a blood letting vicious terrorist.. No can't do.

There is no where in the constitution that forbids the use of military guard so MiKe Ejiofor should take his opinion & shove it!!!

3 Likes

Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by umar745(m): 5:28am On Jun 28, 2015
Half the price asked.
Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by mistabiola: 5:35am On Jun 28, 2015
Is the one in question complaining? No ,so why are you guys taking panadol for another man's headache
Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by Nobody: 5:48am On Jun 28, 2015
ApexTitan:

Really? Trust issues? How about all the allegations from Buhari and APC that the military was partisan. Remember the certificate saga? How are they now to be trusted over the DSS?

100000000 likes

1 Like

Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by ramdris(m): 5:49am On Jun 28, 2015
This interview should have included why the DSS made itself an arm of PDP during GEJ tenure to haunt APC and yet still want the same haunted man to trust them?

1 Like

Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by modskiller(m): 6:16am On Jun 28, 2015
The "Ex-DSS Director" must be stupid and I'm not sorry to say that.

Is it the same Marilyn Ogar DSS that wasworking for Jonah you expect him to trust?

1 Like

Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by chumakk: 6:43am On Jun 28, 2015
So you want to be giving information to pdp that employed you in the first place. Everything concerning pdp government is compromise.

1 Like

Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by Nobody: 7:10am On Jun 28, 2015
DSS will take charge of their responsibilities after the czars of that agency has been debriefed and possibly transferred/Retired. No sane president will neglect the DSS because they are simply the best in Intelligence gathering among other sister agencies in Nigeria and they are professional until Marilyn Ogar led GEJ started using them for witch-hunting of Buhari/APC.

Buhari is a man that takes his time and I really respect that ..... Nigeria is not a country you rushed over in doing things and that has been mistakes of the past ..... Rush to appoint cabinet rush to sack cabinet members or dissolve cabinet.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by kadas01(m): 7:48am On Jun 28, 2015
Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by promisechild(m): 8:19am On Jun 28, 2015
Are u interested in coaching your ward for this summer break? Pathway home tutor Abuja is the best bet for you. Our teachers are experts and experience to the core. contact D law on 08139018012
Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 28, 2015
bosteps:

APC satanoids always find a way to justify President Buhari wen he behaves stu.pidly
Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by Nobody: 8:34am On Jun 28, 2015
Buhari is a confirmed fool.

The fool can not comprehend why since 1999 there was no coup.

The last time the fool was Head of State, where he surrounded himself with the Military how did that turn out for him?

This move confirms that he is a vindictive old fool bent on destroying the DSS for calling him out on his fake assassination plot and it also confirms that Dambazau is firmly entrenched in this administration than any of the fools in the south who clamored for him during the campaigns.
Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by dokyOloye: 8:48am On Jun 28, 2015
Rawani:
How can the President entrust his life to a DSS that still parades the likes of Marilyn Ogar that stopped short of accusing him of sponsoring BH?

There are trained Presidential Bodyguards in the military and they have been in existence since the days of Abacha's strike force. Their roles and influence were significantly limited with the return to civilian rule in order to protect the seat of power.

Now a retired General feels his life is safer with his kind, and spent two weeks away from his office to ensure it was free from surveillance devices allegedly planted by the same agents that want to protect him; what on God's blessed earth is wrong with that?
But boko haram once nominated Buhari to negotiate on their behalf.
Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by aminho(m): 9:11am On Jun 28, 2015
Bekwarra:
It's like asking the CIA and the FBI to leave the White House. That's one hell of a dumb decision.
but there is no Cia and fbi in the white house
Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by Nobody: 9:14am On Jun 28, 2015
bosteps:

Why will he be comfortable with the DSS who know he is behind the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association ravaging the middle belt?

Why will be comfortable with the DSS who he knows know his links with Boko Haram?

Why will he be comfortable with the DSS who exposed his fake assassination plot which they wanted to pin on MEND and then Jonathan thereby unleashing another round of bloody ethno-religious riots?

You fools in the Southwest need to start using your brains.
Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by Redoil: 9:15am On Jun 28, 2015
Why is Buhari rejecting the patriotic DSS men been sent to gaurd him?
Is he still afraid of thieftinubu who is ever ready to compromise the men of DSS to kill Buhari the way funsho williams was killed?
Re: How Can You Entrust The Life Of The President To The Military — Ex-dss Director by bjdon: 9:22am On Jun 28, 2015
Once again so many of you are showing complete lack of understanding, about how a govt is supposed to work. This is why we have so many problems in this country.

As the former SSS director has said, the DSS has the STATUTORY responsibility to protect the President. That is the LAW. If Buhari does not want them then the law needs to be changed. When one man can decide not to follow due process and the law on one issue, he can in future decide to do the same on ANY issue.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Information!! . How To Identify Fake Policemen At A Glance . / BREAKING: Multiple Blasts Rock Maiduguri / Pa Buhari And His Govt Are Moving From Dictatorship To Dragonic Regime.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.