Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,480 members, 7,830,413 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary - Religion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary (63580 Views)

Statue Of Mary 'begins Weeping Blood' At A Church In Argentina (photo) / How Jesus Christ Changed The World / MC Abbey's Act At The Experience Lagos 2016 (That Pastor Bamiloye Reacted To) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by SSPX(m): 11:55am On Jul 05, 2015
Let me add more salt to your injury, Mary was made divine and she is divine
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by chuks34(m): 11:57am On Jul 05, 2015
wę (catholics) ђoŋoŗ māŗy ŋoţ woŗşђįp ђęŗ.. ų gųyş şђoųld gęţ ţђāţ.
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by debeginin(m): 11:57am On Jul 05, 2015
Tallesty1:
This short prayer says otherwise.

We fly to thy patronage, O holy Mother of God; despise not our petitions in our necessities, but deliver us always from all dangers, O glorious and blessed Virgin. Amen.

I wonder who gave her such power.
Paul himself said that he had become all things to all men, " that I might by all means and in any way SAVE them " (I Cot. 9:22) Can Paul save anyone?Why his choice of d word SAVE? It doesn't mean DAT she Delivers personally.

2 Likes

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by nerilove(m): 11:57am On Jul 05, 2015
smurfy:

Catholics actually worship Semiramis who lived in the days of Babel, not the Mary the mother of Jesus.

It's a simple case of idol worship. Simple.
you are such a ablock head. Pple like come to social media blabbing rubbish all in the name to prove a point. Did catholics tell u they worship her? Why did catholics mention the woman angel gabriel visited prior to her pregnancy? Why saying what u don't know. If u are u christian why do u use/wear cross or other images in ur church

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by An2elect2(f): 11:58am On Jul 05, 2015
smurfy:

Catholics actually worship Semiramis who lived in the days of Babel, not the Mary the mother of Jesus.

It's a simple case of idol worship. Simple.

Simples!

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by eyenibibio(m): 11:58am On Jul 05, 2015
Syncan:

Keep deceiving yourself. So from Gen 5:21-24, Jude saw this "Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints..."? Keep lying, your Genesis might just change.
Jude included another acct not recorded anywhere in the bible concerning the argument of Moses body(Jude vs 9). Why do u think oda writers of d old testament omitted that?! If you can answer that, it might help you settle scores that God used divine revelation to inspire most of His bible writers.

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by An2elect2(f): 11:59am On Jul 05, 2015
Rich4god:
Repent from what and convert to what...

I sent u a pm... Abeg reply, I wan mk we relate...
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by An2elect2(f): 12:00pm On Jul 05, 2015
Rich4god:
Repent from what and convert to what...
I sent u a pm... Abeg reply, I wan mk we relate...
Lol Relate as per?

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by POTUT(m): 12:00pm On Jul 05, 2015
honourhim:
Luke 11:27 And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. 28 [/b]But he said, [b]Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

We can see in the scripture above that Christ didnt give support to the slightest worship of his mother yet people wont hear.

Our LordJesus is not the author of confusion. Look at His response critically...Yea (meaning "Yes", an affirmative. He affirmed that the womb that bare him is blessed, that the paps which He sucked are blessed also.)...Rather (meaning "More properly", "More appropriately", "Of a weightier substance", "More correctly put", to state a better application of the shouting woman's praise.)

If you argue otherwise, it would mean/convey that Our Lord Jesus does not agree that His mother was blessed (We know this is impossible!) I believe my own biological mother is blessed, you would believe same about your mother, wouldn't you? It's all part of honoring your mother.

Our Lord only showed the overwhelmed woman a more appropriate expression for her pronouncement.

Compare Matthew 23:23, where our Lord chastised the Pharisees: "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former" This is just another example of mentioning what is weightier and worthier, without abolishing or condenming the lighter one.

I hope we can use the above to extinguish any form of confusion on this thread. I am not part of the Roman Catholic congregation, but I do not believe they should be maligned on this. However, anyone who is worshipping Mary should be corrected, not condenmed. Honoring her, just like I would honor my own mother is a different and natural thing to do.
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by eyenibibio(m): 12:02pm On Jul 05, 2015
Aizenosa:

And I believe this verse is in ur bible

John 20:31

If you can read that verse 30, John was specific. He said other of Jesus miracles were not 'written' in 'this scroll' not other necessary events & information God saw deemed fit to include in his word.

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by mikron(m): 12:02pm On Jul 05, 2015
misreal:
catholics claim not to worship Mary,but honour her.the problem is,they don't know that extreme honour to a man steers up jealousy in the heart of God.they simply give Mary too much honour, which makes them worship her indirectly.you don't need to call a thing your God before you can be worshiping it,you worship it when you value it more than God...simply put,catholics honour Mary more than they honour Jesus...
bless u broda

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by einsteino(m): 12:03pm On Jul 05, 2015
Still better than worshipping my pastors wife like she is married to a god
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by neocortex: 12:04pm On Jul 05, 2015
An2elect2:

Lol "we all directly or indirectly accept that something did not start from nothing." This is more accurate.

I don't know how creation can be intelligently guided by Nothing! speak for your small community not the world.

If you believe god always existed without a cause(I presume you do)
you shouldn't have issues with something coming from nothing.
In fact one requires a greater leap of faith to go with the former than the latter.
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Rich4god(m): 12:05pm On Jul 05, 2015
An2elect2:

Lol Relate as per?
On to this level na...
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by SSPX(m): 12:05pm On Jul 05, 2015
MARY IS A CO Mediatrix she interced for us which is also biblical as we can see at wedding at cana Jn 2:1-11
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Syncan(m): 12:05pm On Jul 05, 2015
eyenibibio:

Jude was guarded by God's spirit to write the bible, wheter he got the prophecy from a book or through divine revelation, the Scriptures dont say. We totally accept what the bible say as Christians, neither do we add or subtract.

Jude did not write the bible, Jude wrote a letter which is one of the books the Church has decided to keep in the bible. He quoted another book that is not in what we have as bible today. Others wrote letters too, but the Catholic church decided not to include them, guided of course by the Holy Spirit....mind you they were honoring Mary at the time..., yet that book you call bible and it's now your sole authority. Even though the book itself tells you that the church is the "Pillar and ground of truth" 1 Tim 3:15.
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Tallesty1(m): 12:06pm On Jul 05, 2015
nerilove:
I sincerely disagree with u that u are a catholic. You are simple here to condemn the church. You are not Woman I would ve asked u a question
What makes one a catholic?

Following their teachings blindly

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by SSPX(m): 12:07pm On Jul 05, 2015
Am her slave and am happy to be least of her slaves
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Tallesty1(m): 12:08pm On Jul 05, 2015
Chanteh:

I prefer to honour the mother of God than most of you protestants that make you pastors Lord over your life and worship them.

A lot of protestants seek for intercession through their pastors who is a man and much more sinful than even themselves but I prefer to ask our mother Mary who knows no sin to intercede for me.

We honour Mary, we don't worship her. No matter what you say it doesn't change that fact.
I honor but I don't worship her like others.

BTW, I am not protesting anything, I am catholic

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by goldenceo1: 12:09pm On Jul 05, 2015
John 2:3-4

3 When the wine ran out, the mother of Jesus said to him, “They have no wine.” 4 And Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does this have to do with me? My hour has not yet come.”

Some pastors will translate dis verse from their handout called Bible to say jesus rebuked her n he neva honoured her but MARK u it was only by divine manifestation that only MARY could tell what Jesus is capable of doing and that same HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD can still n will STILL continue to intercede on our behalf through our prayers to Jesus Christ because d bible neva stated that after she gave birth to Jesus Chris her grace will depart from her. Holy MARY full of grace, Full here means something in EXCESS, ABUNDANTLY. Neither u nor ur pastor can take d Grace frm her by spreading sermon of hate. May God open ur eyes.

HAIL HOLY QUEEN!!!
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jul 05, 2015
Tallesty1:
I personally don't say that prayer, though I am catholic.

ita a pity..U ARE THEN A LOOK WORM CATHOLIC
may GOD hav mercy on u
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by tete7000(m): 12:10pm On Jul 05, 2015
chinae:

You will be blessed for this; In Gen 3: 15 God said to the serpent that he will put enmity btw the serpent nd the woman, Wen he drove Adam nd eve out of d garden, e realized the need to pardon the world and immediately promised redemption through a woman.
Ever since a woman was in search for Jesus to come and redeem the world, till immaculate Mary was noticed from birth and was used to bring anoda/second Adam into the world.

I could imagine the Joy in heaven when she accepted the offer, if she hadn't maybe by now no perfect woman would have taken the place to bring the saviour in to the world.

My brother don't mind the ignoramus, Mary is not just another woman she is a second Eve just as Saint Paul called Jesus the second Adam and as such she became the mother of all creation, same way Eve was a mother of the creation. By Yes of Mary the foundation for the New Convent which is to replace the Old convent corrupted by Eve was laid at the annunciation. The old testament called her woman and this title of 'Woman' persisted in the new testament to remind us her connection with the original woman who by her disobedience brought sin and death upon all. Jesus called her woman many times and she appeared again in the Revelation as a woman crowned with the sun'. God is not haphazard, he does His things in orderly and methodical manner. Right from the fall of man, the question of Mary has crept into His thought when He declared to the devil that 'The son of THE Woman will trampled upon your head'. The use of the specifier 'THE' only alluded to the fact that a reference is being made to a particular person. Mary only appeared on the scene at the fullness of time as St. Paul wrote that at the fullness of time, God sent His Son, born of THE WOMAN and born under the law to redeem man from his sins.
When controversies like this appear it is gullible Catholics who refused to be indoctrinated with the fundamental of their belief I often pity. Anyone who wishes to learn more about the role of Mary in the economy of man's salvation should pick up and read the encyclical of John Paul II titled ' The Mother Of Redeemer (Redemptoris Mater)'. Everything is laid out in full in it.
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by kingLynx(m): 12:10pm On Jul 05, 2015
[color=#990000][/color][b][/b] @ OP, does your church recite the popular " I BELIEVE IN GOD THE FATHER ALMIGHTYl" if yes then you are conversant with the passage that read thus """ I believe in one HOlY CATHOLIC and APoSTOLiC Church" so if you accuse Catholics of worshipping Mary then you too worships her because you believe in what Catholics do. My piece...
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by nerilove(m): 12:10pm On Jul 05, 2015
tete7000:

Where in that quoted scripture indicated that Mary who the Angel Gabriel first called 'blessed' as sent by God was not considered blessed by Jesus. What you didn't know is that Mary is one of the first to hear and kept the word of the Lord at the annunciation when she said behold ' I am the handmaid of the Lord be it done to me according to thy words - Luke 1:38'. At that instance she maid herself available for Jesus to become man by being incarnated in her. Jesus making the statement she made was not discountenancing the words of the woman but rather only making a claim that whatever blessedness Mary has, it's not just because she is his physical mother but rather because she opened herself up to be taken up and used by the Holy Spirit. She kept and treasured God's words in her heart -Luke 2:19.

By the way I will never understand why people like you can't stay clear of what you don't understand and you are not willing to learn. Catholic church has existed generations before you and whatever the likes of you feel changes nothing about what the church has come to know as the truth. Stay in your church and stop stirring controversies around. Serious minded Catholics who understand their faith won't change because of what people like you believe or not. Uhmm!
I like your words for these unbelievers. The church hs been in existence for a very long time. Bringing this argument now doesn't change the price of fish in the mkt cos those forefathers hve argued on this for ages. So if you don't like church, let it be. Catholic church is the most respected church on Earth. When a pope is to elected, u will see different leaders of different churches in attendance just because of the uniqueness of the teaching of the church. So bro, leave them to their ignorance. Tnk u
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by neocortex: 12:11pm On Jul 05, 2015
Vodkka:

Nop.......Do you have any proof that she had other children apart from Jesus?

Note , I am not trying to disprove your believe because it is none of my business, but I have to answer
you.

Matthew 13:55-56 "Is not this the carpenter's son? Is not His mother called Mary, and His brothers, James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? 56 "And His sisters, are they not all with us? Where then did this man get all these things?" 57 And they took offense at Him. But Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor except in his home town, and in his own household."

Mark 6:3 "Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, and brother of James, and Joses, and Judas, and Simon? Are not His sisters here with us?" And they took offense at Him. 4 And Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor except in his home town and among his own relatives and in his own household.

Here is a more subtle proof.

In the book of mathew

1:22 This all happened so that what was spoken by the Lord through the prophet would be fulfilled: 1:23 “Look! The virgin will conceive and bear a son, and they will call him Emmanuel,” which means “God with us.” 1:24 When Joseph awoke from sleep he did what the angel of the Lord told him. He took his wife, 1:25 but did not have marital relations with her until she gave birth to a son, whom he called Jesus.

1:25 told us that Joseph had marital relationship with Mary after the birth of Jesus.

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by SSPX(m): 12:13pm On Jul 05, 2015
Is it the way see things
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by Syncan(m): 12:13pm On Jul 05, 2015
eyenibibio:

Jude included another acct not recorded anywhere in the bible concerning the argument of Moses body(Jude vs 9). Why do u think oda writers of d old testament omitted that?! If you can answer that, it might help you settle scores that God used divine revelation to inspire most of His bible writers.

Still my Point, why are you not using some of the books the apostles used to teach? Who omitted it from your old testament?
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by CharlieMaria(m): 12:15pm On Jul 05, 2015
Tallesty1:
This short prayer says otherwise.

We fly to thy patronage, O holy Mother of God;
despise not our petitions in our necessities,
but deliver us always from all dangers,
O glorious and blessed Virgin.
Amen.

I wonder who gave her such power.
And who gave the devil such a power as to plunge souls into hell with his diabolic arsenals? Abi is he not a creature as well? If God allowed such a power to the devil, how much more power would she give Mary the mother of His only son to rescue souls from the snares of the devil. Think!!!
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by eyenibibio(m): 12:16pm On Jul 05, 2015
Syncan:

Jude did not write the bible, Jude wrote a letter which is one of the books the Church has decided to keep in the bible. He quoted another book that is not in what we have as bible today. Others wrote letters too, but the Catholic church decided not to include them, guided of course by the Holy Spirit....mind you they were honoring Mary at the time..., yet that book you call bible and it's now your sole authority. Even though the book itself tells you that the church is the "Pillar and ground of truth" 1 Tim 3:15.
What are you saying? So, Paul and James who wrote letters, are they not also bible writers. Go and do ur homework again. However, the Catholic church did not compile the bible contrary to public opinion, rather they persecuted any who tried to own a bible.

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by nerilove(m): 12:20pm On Jul 05, 2015
Tallesty1:
What makes one a catholic?

Following their teachings blindly
if u are a catholic, u won't argue like that. If u are a catholic u honour Mary Mother of Jesus. Catholic church Is the most respected church, believe that or holdur peace. The church is not begging u to join. More than enuf are members
Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by An2elect2(f): 12:22pm On Jul 05, 2015
neocortex:

If you believe god always existed without a cause(I presume you do)
you shouldn't have issues with something coming from nothing.
In fact one requires a greater leap of faith to go with the former than the latter.

You see why we call the one who has no beginning ( and ending), God. Who befits that title? and what should He be like? if i may ask.

1 Like

Re: How Jesus Reacted To The Worship Of Mary by eyenibibio(m): 12:23pm On Jul 05, 2015
Syncan:

Still my Point, why are you not using some of the books the apostles used to teach? Who omitted it from your old testament?
There were no apostles in the old testament. The apostles were anionted disciples of Jesus. All what we need to knw is recorded in the bible. Anyone going contrary is going to be misled by the doctrines of men.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (26) (Reply)

Bishop David Oyedepo, Wife And Children In Lovely Family Photo / Is Pastor Adeboye Tweeting With VPN? - Daddy G.O Dragged On Twitter / Shocking!!!!end Time Church Business (see Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.