Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? - Music/Radio (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? (44178 Views)

Why Do People Sing In The Shower? / Can You Sing In French Language? / Singers That Really Can't Sing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Treasure21: 8:59pm On Jul 12, 2013
chibic: to me yoruba lang is easy as a.b.c.but yoruba lang is spoken in yoruba lands.no other place.ibos that use yoruba in songs are those that grow up in lag.or any other yoruba land.but these days,yoruba musicians are trying to inculcate ibo lang.into their songs cos they are trying to sound apealing to other listeners.but they end up puting only one word or two cos they cant pronounce the rest.nice said love nwantiti in ON MY WEDDING DAY.weird m.c put ibo in ijoya.d,banj was fabulous in his.but that was with the help of don jazzy and another ibo high life musician.these days,ibos are coming back to singing with ibo and leaving yoruba alone.kelly handsome never sang yoruba in his album.J MARTINS didn't.its left for us ibos to be cherishing a work done in our own language.timaya never pronounced yoruba in any song but he is the greatest now.nigga raw is a made star for those that said he's not.ONE HURTING TRUTH IS THAT IBO PRODUCE THE GREATEST NUMBER OF HIPHOP ARTISTS IN NIGERIA.i ain't tribalistic.save ur tribe if u want to.WE ARE THE GREATEST NO DOUBT. grin grin grin

Yes. You are being tribalistic based on that egocentric comment telling others that Igbos are the greatest. Maybe in your dreams. Those popularly known Igbo artists are the ones that have sang in Yoruba or put some Yoruba lyrics in their songs. If you ask Non-Nigerians which artists they like, the igbos they'll name are ppl like P-square, Flavour, Lynxxx, Bracket J Martins etc. Popular Igbo artist Whom have all put Yoruba in some of their music or sang in Yoruba. The Igbo artists who only sing in Igbo are not well known. You may know them but ask a Non-Nigerian who they are
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Treasure21: 9:09pm On Jul 12, 2013
Dotman01: Thank God somone posted d direct link to yale uni web.'Yale program offers regular courses in 3 MAJOR AFRICAN LANGUAGES swahili, yoruba and zulu. These ard taught at elementary, intermediate and advanced levels using multimedia materials. (i.e it is taught frm d begining to d advance level)
however igbo is only taught through self-instruction program'
so why u dey tel us lie b4. Why u start dis topic when u know u dnt want to listen to d truth. Again na hw many times u want make dem schl u. Oh boi to add to where yoruba lang is spoken.
1.benin
2.togo
3.ghana
4.ivory coast
abi all dis ones na 'biscuit' countries too.
True to the person that said Yoruba is more global. I've yet to see a white person speak Igbo. But there are white ppl who can speak Yoruba like Titilayo and Kayode on youtube
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Treasure21: 9:29pm On Jul 12, 2013
chibic: point of correction to khanye.100%artists in non yoruba lands does not sing in yoruba.then,only 60% artists in yoruba land sing in yoruba.and yorubas rule only in yoruba lands like ekiti,ondo and others I don't know.yorubas don't rule in lagos.bear that in mind.Ibos in lag speak ibo to their brothers.yorubas speak theirs too.but ibos are too smart to understand other peoples language so quick.that's why when u speak ur language to an ibo.he will understand and reply.[/b]but yorubas only understand their language.hausa artists based in north does not sing in yoruba.[b]ibos based in east does not sing in yoruba.only those based in lagos,but not all.all these are cos so many things are centered in lagos.over time.some headquarters and some other things will be moved to other places and will shall see if people will gravitate to lagos like before.it will be sooner than u think.

Youre clueless. Almost all the popular artists you can think of have sang in Yoruba or put some Yoruba in their lyrics. Yoruba ppl don't only rule in those states you named. They also rule in Lagos so stop hating. If Yoruba ppl don't rule in Lagos why are most Non-Yoruba artists singing in Yoruba to appeal to Lagosians (who are mostly Yoruba ppl). Like I said to someone else here; Most Yorubas only understand their language cuz most Yoruba ppl are based in a Yorubaland so they don't see the need to know Igbo. Like you said "many things are centered in Lagos" which happens to be a Yoruba state. If Non-Yorubas like Igbos wants to live in Lagos or co they have to learn Yoruba if they wanna live/adjust well in such environment. I'm sure if a lot of Yoruba ppl migrated to Igboland they'll eventually start to understand & speak Igbo just like the igbos that migrated to the Yorubalands. Some Igbos can speak Yoruba cuz they had to understand/speak to adapt to the Yorubaland. After several years of living in a certain area you'll eventually learn a lot of the culture including language. Your comment is like saying a Chinese man has to learn Japanese when he's not even living in Japan. If the Chinese man was to live in Japan then it'll be useful to learn Japanese. Most Yoruba ppl don't need to learn Igbo for the same reason.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by pri3stess(f): 9:42pm On Jul 12, 2013
Afam4eva:

PSquare
Ruggedman
2 Shotz
African China
Kel
OJB Jezreel
Faze
DJ Zeez
Nigga raw
nnenna

and many more
Let me add some more:
Dr Sid
DPrince
Lynxxx
Chidinma
Burna Boy
Skales
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Treasure21: 9:53pm On Jul 12, 2013
Eziachi: I think it stems from Igboman's versitality and ability to make the best out of his enviroment and secondly,purely business. In the seventies there was an Igbo guy, I can't remember his name now that had a one hit wonder in Hausa language and the song was called "Sanuku Megida" and it sold in thousands in the north and became an anthem during moslem festivals in the north. Oliver de coque has even a song in Hausa, Onyeka Onwenu has one in Yoruba.

Igbos are not and never slaves to their culture only and that is why during christmas in the 80s, go to many Igbo towns and villages you will likely meet the likes of Shina Peter, Barrister, Sunny Ade and othesr playing one gig after another. You are likely to to hear Juju music in an Igbo party purely because they like the music and nothing else. It highly unlikey to see an Igbo band playing a gig in Yoruba village or an Hausa town. The Oriental brothers nearly lost their lives in Jos in the 70s because they sang praise of Murtala Mohammed and MIDDLE BELT is where the likes of Dimka comes from.

Igbos wear other tribes clothes regularly, eats others food, eager to learn/speaks others language, when you think of it, if all Nigerians has the attitude of an Igbo man, things could have been different and more peaceful.
Just hear yourself talk.... The village is very diff from the city. Youre saying "when" Igbos go to the village they'll play Fuji music. Why wont they? When you go back home to the village esp during the holidays, youre usually surrounded by elders who are used to the old school Fuji cuz those were the hit songs during their days. They dont understand what theyre saying in the hip-hop naija artists' songs. And besides you cant expect elders in the village to wanna lisen to hip-hop songs that are all about sex, money, booty shaking, etc. How 'bout when the Igbos are not in the village but in the city? Do they spend their day listening to Shina Peter, Sunny Ade, Ebenezer Obey, Fela, etc? So stop trying to make it sound like its a special thing to listen to Fuji when in the village. I cant imaging myself playing hip-hop naija music around my grandparents or ppl their age range.

Secondly why wont Igbos be eager to learn/speak other tribe's languages, eat their fod, wear their clothing when its mostly Igbos that move away from their land and go to other regions. why wont an Igbo living around diff ppl want to learn their language to be able to adapt and communicate to ppl of that environment. A foreigner that moves to another country will eventually learn the language, eat their food, and wear their clothing's to fit in that environment. Same way you would expect a foreigner to start wearing American clothing, eating American food and try to speak like an American when they move to America. So no, there's nothing special about that. Things like that are expected & bound to happen
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Treasure21: 10:06pm On Jul 12, 2013
Afam4eva:

Igbo is spoken in almost every country of the world where u have Igbo people.

But if u mean Indegenous speaker then i only know of Cameroun and Equitorial guinea.
Cameroon, only becuz The Igboland is right beside them, so the culture & custom of Igbo ppl can be found around the border.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Download D'banj - Oliver Twist Here / NBC Bans Olamide Song, 'Don't-Stop' For Vulgar Lyrics / Mercy Chinwo Slams ₦2bn Lawsuit On Obidiz For Using Her Name In A Secular Music

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.