Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,452 members, 7,954,775 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:58 AM

The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries (17932 Views)

Buhari Names New Federal Permanent Secretaries And Their Portfolios / Buhari Orders Mass Retirement Of Permanent Secretaries / “I Don’t Know Why People Are Anxious For Ministers” – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by biafranqueen: 7:03pm On Jun 29, 2015
barcanista:
My dear, these are questions that Buhari and his handlers need to answer. As it is now, Buhari is the Supervising Minister of all Ministries, Agencies and Departments. Now tell me how he can be able to function?
Well at least it is a change that is what they were clamoring for, they got what they asked for.
Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by azimibraun: 7:19pm On Jun 29, 2015
"The End justifies the means" Nikolo Machiaveli That's part of what am talking about. The means may justify the end for you but I just quoted somebody. Be that as it may, having strongly at the back of my mind that the rule of law in accordance with our grand norm the "Constitution" frowns at the abuse of "DISCRETIONARY" powers. Mr Buhari has the discretionary powers to appoint his ministers which is a constitutional issue at his own convenience. But the "KEY" point is this, does his own time amount to " abuse of discretionary powers"? That is what we should be looking at. It's both a moral and legal matter. Has one month amounted to an " ABUSE " of discretionary powers or not? Is ur position "Moral" or " Legal"? Back it up.
Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by azimibraun: 7:30pm On Jun 29, 2015
Sabali my people sabali.... patience my people Patience. We are all having something in common and that is " FEAR" we all have been through rough times and are not ready to travel that road again becouse we know where it will lead us to. But fear sometime kills faster than the unknown. Can we all just take a deep breath and see what 100dys will bring us; at least nobody wll blame anyone who has giving a government 3months to settle down and that means we would have been done with forming a government. To be honest some state governors are also faced with very opaque inheritance as government. They are busy dismystifying what they have taken over and chatting a new route to travel through.
Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by omooba969(m): 7:32pm On Jun 29, 2015
Noneroone:
Educate Buhari's supporter. Seriously they are cows.

Not funny. tongue

And those words of yours can only come from an empty skull so abeg apply your No.6 when next you comment on issues ok.
Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by omooba969(m): 7:53pm On Jun 29, 2015
barcanista:
This article is in response to a topic created on Saturday, June 27, 2015 titled What Is The Need Of Minister When We Have Permanent Secretaries. The purpose of the thread was to justify the delay of ministerial appointment by the government of President Muhammadu Buhari

On the said Thread many respondents were of the opinion that there is no need for ministers when we have career permanent secretaries manning various ministries. But is this really so?
Let us critically look into the subject.

1. Job Role
The Permanent secretary in a ministry is the Chief Executive of that ministry. He's the Accounting Officer and most senior civil servant within the ministry. He does not formulate strategic policies of the government but he only execute operational plans of the government in power.
The Minister on the other hand is a non career civil servant that is employed by the government in power to formulate strategic policies for a specified sector. In addition to this, he supervises ALL the non-Ministerial Departments that falls within the sector.

2. Scope
The scope of the permanent secretary in a ministry is only restricted within his ministry.
The Minister on the other hand is not only confined to the supervision of his "ministry", he also supervises Department and Agencies that comes with his office as minister on behalf of the President. For instance, the Minister of Transport supervises both the Ministry of Transport, NIMASSA, Nigeria Railway Corporation(NRC), Nigeria Ports Authority, Nigeria Shippers Council, Maritime Academy of Nigeria etc. The DGs or CEOs of the non-Ministerial Parastatals formulates and implements operational policies (as approved by the various boards) which must be in line with that of the Minister's strategic policy of the government. The perm-sec has no such power.

3. Representation:
Constitutionally, each state must have a minister who is nominated and appointed by the President subject to the approval of the Senate. Each minister sits on the Federal Executive Council and they represent their respective states in the Council. The President and the Vice represent the entire federation.
The Perm-sec on the other hand do not have such constitutional defined representation.

4. Is The "Minister" Ceremonial?
Absolutely not! The minister is a politician that understands and believes in the overall goal of the President. He is hired by the President to formulate policies (subject to approval of the president and Federal Executive Council), and then he ensures that these policies and programs of the FG/President are implemented by his Permanent Secretary, DGs and MDs of Agencies under his supervision. He also ensures that policies and programs that are executed by these MDAs under his supervision are in tandem. For instance, the Petroleum Minister is to ensure that the contracts approved by the Ministerial Tender board (Headed by the Perm-sec) are in tandem with the government laid down rules. He must counter sign it to show government's approval. Also, the Petroleum Minister by law is to ensure that policies of the Executive Management of NNPC are to be in line with wish of the government in power. In addition to this, he receives petitions against any Executive staff and Board Chairman/Members of non-ministerial agency within his supervision on behalf of the President. He also advises the President on the best way to address such petition.

Can The Permanent Secretary Function As Minister?
Absolutely Negative! The Permanent Secretary within a ministry cannot supervise the CEO/DG that is under the ministry's supervision. He has no business with policy formulation on behalf of the government. He's not aligned to any political party and he's not hired by the President but by the Civil service. The President can fire any erring minister over non performance or based on any slightest issue or non issue, but he can't fire the perm-sec over "poor performance". The worst he can do is to redeploy the perm-sec in line with the civil service rules. The Perm-sec can only leave the civil service on voluntary/mandatory retirement, death or based on any offence that stipulate the wield stick as punishment.

Nigeria Situation Without Ministers
The situation that we are in under Buhari means that there is nobody to formulate policies for and on behalf of the FG in line with the "Change" of the Buhari's administration. It also means that nobody to supervise ministries, agencies and departments which give room for theft and mismanagement of public funds by civil servants. It means that the public won't be able to experience any policy change anytime soon. It means that the President will dish out "orders" as the spirit directs without analysing core factors. It also means that permanent secretaries and DG/CEOs of Agencies will act in accordance with existing rule aka Auto-Pilot.

Finally, Nigeria is not the first and only country to practice political cabinet Minister in addition to perm-secs of ministries. The Nigeria equivalent of career civil servants perm-sec in the UK is Permanent Under Secretary(PUS), Italy call theirs Secretary-General, Canada (Deputy Minister), Australia (Secretary), USA (Deputy Secretary) etc. All these countries still have cabinet ministers that are incharge with policies and supervision.

I hope we all understand that there is NO WAY President Buhari can effectively bring change without ministers.

God Bless Us All

laurel500:

good analysis... but you seem to lack patience, faith and belief in this new government.
you cant rush the "change"

@laurel500,

Thank you o, they 've forgotten so soon the magnitude of damage jona.daft's administration caused our dear Nigeria. I want to believe that those former ministers are doing the handover properly now grin & I believe they are also being questioned presently.

PMB may be quiet as per his dealings but I reckon he would not want to be rash because this is democracy & he might deem it fit to show some respect to those former people based on agreement signed prior to elections.

So as far as I know, PMB won't rush things !
Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by omooba969(m): 8:11pm On Jun 29, 2015
hamilton62:

when was the milking of Nigeria commenced?
Who was the PTF chairman who $21Billiin was traced in his account abroad?
please stop this nonsense and head straight so that the buried hatchet wont surface again...
Your post shows the handwork of some crumbs of penny from somewhere... remember, you are what you say... After all i don't think you knew these post by the OP.
Nigeria must move forward in positive change

@bolded,

Pls, reference your claim & I will respect you. I will also take it that you are not just rambling. I dey wait...

10x

1 Like

Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by omooba969(m): 8:24pm On Jun 29, 2015
manny4life:
Buhari had several weeks ahead of his inauguration to begin selection of ministers, but he chose not to do so because he wants to oversee them all. How can he function without ministers? A month after he being inaugurated, he's yet to announce any nomination...

@barcanista, thank you for this wonderful post.

@bolded,

Wot an assertion...very amusing ! grin

FYI, only a STU.PID man would do things the same way as other failures & expecting a different result ! 'hope u get my drift though.

So pls, give our dear President Mohammadu Buhari some breathing space cos I believe dat u dnt knw more than d team working wit him. undecided
Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by ipreach: 8:45pm On Jun 29, 2015
pa Bahari still dey sleep
Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by omooba969(m): 8:58pm On Jun 29, 2015
discusant:

No, the means justifies the end.

Nigeria miseducated its citizens such that the citizens could not realize that a terror group maligned the tenure of the last administration headed by Jonathan, and unarguably enabled Buhari to become president of Nigeria.
This is the heart of the matter. Something - a presidency - acquired through unjust means.

@bolded,

shocked u still finding excuses for GEJ's failures, ppl like u shud be in romance section...seriously! cheesy
Haba mallam shocked
Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by otunbashonny(m): 9:02pm On Jun 29, 2015
barcanista:
This article is in response to a topic created on Saturday, June 27, 2015 titled What Is The Need Of Minister When We Have Permanent Secretaries. The purpose of the thread was to justify the delay of ministerial appointment by the government of President Muhammadu Buhari

On the said Thread many respondents were of the opinion that there is no need for ministers when we have career permanent secretaries manning various ministries. But is this really so?

1. Job Role
The Permanent secretary in a ministry is the Chief Executive of that ministry. He's the Accounting Officer and most senior civil servant within the ministry. He does not formulate strategic policies of the government but he only execute operational plans of the government in power.
The Minister on the other hand is a non career civil servant that is employed by the government in power to formulate strategic policies for a specified sector. In addition to this, he supervises ALL the non-Ministerial Departments that falls within the sector.

2. Scope
The scope of the permanent secretary in a ministry is only restricted within his ministry.
The Minister on the other hand is not only confined to the supervision of his "ministry", he also supervises Department and Agencies that comes with his office as minister on behalf of the President. For instance, the Minister of Transport supervises both the Ministry of Transport, NIMASSA, Nigeria Railway Corporation(NRC), Nigeria Ports Authority, Nigeria Shippers Council, Maritime Academy of Nigeria etc. The DGs or CEOs of the non-Ministerial Parastatals formulates and implements operational policies (as approved by the various boards) which must be in line with that of the Minister's strategic policy of the government. The perm-sec has no such power.

3. Representation:
Constitutionally, each state must have a minister who is nominated and appointed by the President subject to the approval of the Senate. Each minister sits on the Federal Executive Council and they represent their respective states in the Council. The President and the Vice represent the entire federation.
The Perm-sec on the other hand do not have such constitutional defined representation.

Absolutely not! The minister is a politician that understands and believes in the overall goal of the President. He is hired by the President to formulate policies (subject to approval of the president and Federal Executive Council), and then he ensures that these policies and programs of the FG/President are implemented by his Permanent Secretary, DGs and MDs of Agencies under his supervision. He also ensures that policies and programs that are executed by these MDAs under his supervision are in tandem. For instance, the Petroleum Minister is to ensure that the contracts approved by the Ministerial Tender board (Headed by the Perm-sec) are in tandem with the government laid down rules. He must counter sign it to show government's approval. Also, the Petroleum Minister by law is to ensure that policies of the Executive Management of NNPC are to be in line with wish of the government in power. In addition to this, he receives petitions against any Executive staff and Board Chairman/Members of non-ministerial agency within his supervision on behalf of the President. He also advises the President on the best way to address such petition.

Absolutely Negative! The Permanent Secretary within a ministry cannot supervise the CEO/DG that is under the ministry's supervision. He has no business with policy formulation on behalf of the government. He's not aligned to any political party and he's not hired by the President but by the Civil service. The President can fire any erring minister over non performance or based on any slightest issue or non issue, but he can't fire the perm-sec over "poor performance". The worst he can do is to redeploy the perm-sec in line with the civil service rules. The Perm-sec can only leave the civil service on voluntary/mandatory retirement, death or based on any offence that stipulate the wield stick as punishment.

The situation that we are in under Buhari means that there is nobody to formulate policies for and on behalf of the FG in line with the "Change" of the Buhari's administration. It also means that nobody to supervise ministries, agencies and departments which give room for theft and mismanagement of public funds by civil servants. It means that the public won't be able to experience any policy change anytime soon. It means that the President will dish out "orders" as the spirit directs without analysing core factors. It also means that permanent secretaries and DG/CEOs of Agencies will act in accordance with existing rule aka Auto-Pilot.

Finally, Nigeria is not the first and only country to practice political cabinet Minister in addition to perm-secs of ministries. The Nigeria equivalent of career civil servants perm-sec in the UK is Permanent Under Secretary(PUS), Italy call theirs Secretary-General, Canada (Deputy Minister), Australia (Secretary), USA (Deputy Secretary) etc. All these countries still have cabinet ministers that are incharge with policies and supervision.

I hope we all understand that there is NO WAY President Buhari can effectively bring change without ministers.

God Bless Us All

Your head is valid
Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by hamilton62(m): 9:16pm On Jun 29, 2015
omooba969:

@bolded,

Pls, reference your claim & I will respect you. I will also take it that you are not just rambling. I dey wait...

10x
sorry, my bad it was #2.5b

Abacha rehabilitated Buhari with the chairmanship of
the Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF) before he (Abacha)
died in 1998. When Obasanjo returned to power in May
1999 as civilian president, he found that over 2.5 billion
naira had not been properly accounted for in the PTF
and that there was not much on the ground to show for
the colossal expenditure the agency was claiming. On
the day Obasanjo announced the scrapping of the PTF,
a non-staff brother-in-law of the boss, allegedly
serving as his conduit on some PTF projects, died
suddenly from what appeared to be heart failure. Most
of what he was able to achieve in the PTF, was
focused in his backyard. Haruna Adamu, who was
appointed by Obasanjo to investigate the PTF before
finally consigning it to the dung heap, quickly pocketed
one hundred million naira of PTF’s money before
operating table could be set up for him, thus forcing
Obasanjo to hurriedly close the place down without
further investigations. Buhari has been trying
desperately since to return to power, perhaps to get a
chance to shred the PTF documents?

www.saharareporters.com/article/all-
nigerian-coup-generals-were-rogues
%E2%80%A6and-general-muhammadu-buhari-was-
no-exception
Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by noblegrex: 9:20pm On Jun 29, 2015
Infacts to me if all what u said is just d reason to appoint ministers I'll have said there's no need cos I can't even c what those ministers repesent n who they're repesenting.u don't do things cos people r doing it. What effect have those ministers has on the pas administration. I'm nt saying he shouldn't appoint bt he needs time to do that even if its two years sef. ministers are figure head. They r just there to loot,no impact at all. exept u r close to them, then u can get small chang .that's if u r wise.gba be e
Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by omooba969(m): 9:38pm On Jun 29, 2015
hamilton62:

sorry, my bad it was #2.5b

Abacha rehabilitated Buhari with the chairmanship of
the Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF) before he (Abacha)
died in 1998. When Obasanjo returned to power in May
1999 as civilian president, he found that over 2.5 billion
naira had not been properly accounted for in the PTF
and that there was not much on the ground to show for
the colossal expenditure the agency was claiming. On
the day Obasanjo announced the scrapping of the PTF,
a non-staff brother-in-law of the boss, allegedly
serving as his conduit on some PTF projects, died
suddenly from what appeared to be heart failure. Most
of what he was able to achieve in the PTF, was
focused in his backyard. Haruna Adamu, who was
appointed by Obasanjo to investigate the PTF before
finally consigning it to the dung heap, quickly pocketed
one hundred million naira of PTF’s money before
operating table could be set up for him, thus forcing
Obasanjo to hurriedly close the place down without
further investigations. Buhari has been trying
desperately since to return to power, perhaps to get a
chance to shred the PTF documents?

www.saharareporters.com/article/all-
nigerian-coup-generals-were-rogues
%E2%80%A6and-general-muhammadu-buhari-was-
no-exception

Well, as humans we choose wot we believe & datz part of our nature. Wot u put up there seems like a play-script to me. grin

1 Like

Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by hamilton62(m): 9:57pm On Jun 29, 2015
omooba969:

Well, as humans we choose wot we believe & datz part of our nature. Wot u put up there seems like a play-script to me. grin
so saharareporters are now play script media house huh?
let the true you speak and stop the pretence...
bye
Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by Godiskind: 10:00pm On Jun 29, 2015
I think buhari needs to be informed. I don't even think he knows the role of ministers. He seems to have no vision in d task as a president (empty brain). But even if he doesnt knw much, can't him make some consultations and learn. When I began to lose my confidence in president buhari is when he said "I wish age is by my side, I would have accomplished much". You can imagine someone who has not achieved a single thing is saying because of age he won't do much. This early morning he has started complaining of health and old age. Hmm... I hope he will finish the 4 years tenure.... I have my doubt. I think the prophesy that neither him nor GEJ wont rule will come true
Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by AbuMaryam1(m): 10:49pm On Jun 29, 2015
adconline:

Stupidity inked in ur DNA! But APC governors have commissioners that are equivalent to ministers on federal level
^^^^^ Stupidity
Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by manny4life(m): 3:22am On Jun 30, 2015
omooba969:

@bolded,

Wot an assertion...very amusing ! grin

FYI, only a STU.PID man would do things the same way as other failures & expecting a different result ! 'hope u get my drift though.

So pls, give our dear President Mohammadu Buhari some breathing space cos I believe dat u dnt knw more than d team working wit him. undecided

You're damn right about it, that's why I said he should take a cue from his master Obama.
Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by Nobody: 9:18am On Jun 30, 2015
Nice post...

Do you live in Akwa Ibom State? Do you relish the desire to own your own business with little start up capital and promising returns in investment? Do you hope to look into the mirror each morning and know you are talking to the boss? Are you enterprising?/Would you love to be? Do you have an aptitude for thinking out of the box? Then call or add me up on whatsapp 08085188110. You will be glad you did
Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by engineerboat(m): 10:20am On Jul 02, 2015
presher:
barcanista is a genius apc hacks will invent a new lie or try to insult u

Let them try it, bring up their SPURIOUS LIES, we are waiting for them. NIGERIANS are waiting for CHANGERIANS with their usual DIPLAYS of LIE from their GRAND-MASTERS

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by engineerboat(m): 10:23am On Jul 02, 2015
barcanista:
No Commissioner? Awwwwwwww?

Comrade, so You dont know that AREGBESOLA is not having commissioner since he was re-elected. The same thing happen during his first tenure, he spend about 1 years doing sole administrator before appointing commisioner. Anyway since OSUN state is APC template (Campaing gra-gra) no wonder the same thing is happening at the top now, soon other state will follow their ASSUMED TEMPLATE.

CHANGERIANS is this the change you promised NIGERIANS
Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by Nobody: 11:11am On Jul 02, 2015
I tell you brother that no government can succeed without political officers to coordinate government's business on behalf of the Governor or President
engineerboat:

Comrade, so You dont know that AREGBESOLA is not having commissioner since he was re-elected. The same thing happen during his first tenure, he spend about 1 years doing sole administrator before appointing commisioner. Anyway since OSUN state is APC template (Campaing gra-gra) no wonder the same thing is happening at the top now, soon other state will follow their ASSUMED TEMPLATE.

CHANGERIANS is this the change you promised NIGERIANS
Re: The Need For Ministers Despite Existing Career Permanent Secretaries by blanquecheque: 4:06pm On Sep 30, 2015

1. Job Role

2. Scope

3. Representation:

God Bless Us All

Nobody, u seem quite knowledgeable about public administration. Can I connect with u?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osun Rerun: We Will Resist Any Form Of Conspiracy Against Adeleke – Kwankwaso Wa / Wike: We Won’t Allow Nigeria Turn Into A One Party State / Judicial Workers Call Off Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.