Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,407 members, 7,819,452 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse (20947 Views)

Police Arrested Me Because Of My Dressing, Murder Suspect Confesses / Murder Suspect’s Son Tells Police: ‘Dad Told Me To Say Mum Drank Sniper’ (pic) / I Prefer To Live My Life In Prison –murder Suspect (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by olajides(m): 6:39pm On Jun 30, 2015
Just like that.......remorse indeed
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by betty202020(m): 6:42pm On Jun 30, 2015
deebsman1:
maybe u b underground thief lol, if u meet a robber and u know fully well u have the power to gun him down first, say u don't want jungle justice, allow him to kill u first, u hear??
That shows ur level of stupidity lol. the case is simple case of stealing of which the owner of the roofing sheets did not even confirm that the man he killed is the actual thief according to the news. Now if not the thuggry trait in yorubas, what stops him from asking local vigilante or police to arrest him. For killing the man, can he swear that he has never stole or converted another's property(ies) before? The judge will share from the blood of that man.
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by deebsman1(m): 6:52pm On Jun 30, 2015
Kai i rest my case here and won't argue with u further else u say something derogatory, what has tribe got to do with the news article in context?? I would assume u r educated, why must u pipu look at every issue from the tribal sentiment angle in this 21st century? Did an American or a European know u either as a yoruba or a igbo, he only know u as an African and to a smaller extent a Nigerian, can't u just open ur mind for once and spit all the hatreds out once, so that u will have the real progress in life sad
betty202020:
That shows ur level of stupidity lol. the case is simple case of stealing of which the owner of the roofing sheets did not even confirm that the man he killed is the actual thief according to the news. Now if not the thuggry trait in yorubas, what stops him from asking local vigilante or police to arrest him. For killing the man, can he swear that he has never stole or converted another's property(ies) before? The judge will share from the blood of that man.
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by deebsman1(m): 6:54pm On Jun 30, 2015
ok, but people will always continue stealing as long as they are getting a soft-pecks on the back
neocortex:

Regardless of the criminal-victim's crime , the accused has no right to mete out punishment or even kill him.
The judge should at least have sentenced him for manslaughter.
This emotional judge just freed a murderer and I hope police appeal the case.
Note that this is not different from the Aluu 4 case.
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by beyoncausme: 7:00pm On Jun 30, 2015
how much did he pay ......

Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by morbeta(m): 7:07pm On Jun 30, 2015
The judge tampered justice with mercy.
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by Eze2000(m): 7:17pm On Jun 30, 2015
wirinet:
This case been made worse for the accused and possibly the judge. The accused has already pleaded guilty to murder, so he has been comfirmed to be a convicted murderer. The only problem now is the sentence or penalty. The judge does not have the power to discharge a convicted felon. The sentense is specified according to the criminal code. The punishment specified varies from 20 years to life depending on if the accused pleaded gulity to first degree or second degree murder. All the plaintive or an interested party needs to do is to appeal the judgement at the appeal court, and appropriate punishmnet according to the law would be handed the convicted murderer.

The appeal court cannot even review the case itself, only the judgement.
didn't you also read that the their of a 'dead man' was also brought before the judge for stealing the aluminum roofing sheets? The their wasn't 'killed' he was probably 'panel heated to a near death state'
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by betty202020(m): 7:18pm On Jun 30, 2015
deebsman1:
Kai i rest my case here and won't argue with u further else u say something derogatory, what has tribe got to do with the news article in context?? I would assume u r educated, why must u pipu look at every issue from the tribal sentiment angle in this 21st century? Did an American or a European know u either as a yoruba or a igbo, he only know u as an African and to a smaller extent a Nigerian, can't u just open ur mind for once and spit all the hatreds out once, so that u will have the real progress in life sad
i am pissed by the way they carried out the jungle justice and the way the judge adminstered justice here. is it because the family of the presumed thief has no money that made the judge to give this type of humilating judgement without minding the pains in the minds of the victim's family members. this is stealing for crying out loud not armed robbery. @least one year imprisonment would give the deseased family hope of justics. May God comfort them.
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by samadexy(m): 7:19pm On Jun 30, 2015
Nice Judgement
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by mymadam(m): 7:21pm On Jun 30, 2015
Omooba77:
An Ijede Magistrates’ Court near Ikorodu, Lagos State on Tuesday discharged a man, Kazeem Ajiga, who allegedly lynched another man for stealing his aluminium roofing sheets.

Ajiga was arraigned on Tuesday for taking laws into his hands by executing jungle justice on a suspect, Raheem Omoyele, whom he accused of stealing his property.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Omoyele was on Monday brought before Olagbegi-Adelabu on a charge of stealing 25 aluminium roofing sheets belonging to Ajiga.

The Magistrate, Mrs Jumoke Olagbegi-Adelabu rules that Since Ajiga has shown remorse, caution and did not waste this court’s time by pleading guilty, I hereby discharge him and strike out the case

http://www.punchng.com/news/court-discharges-murder-suspect-for-showing-remorse/

Murder suspect: Kazeem Ajiga
Deceased: Raheem Omoyele

...Omoyele (the deceased?) was on Monday brought before Olagbegi-Adelabu on a charge of stealing 25 aluminium roofing sheets belonging to Ajiga.

Oh, 'the deceased' did not die after all. Where is the murder case coming from? Or am I missing something? Oh, never mind.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by Allosaurus: 7:23pm On Jun 30, 2015
This can only happen in Buhari's tenure. Now I can kill, cry a little and go scot free grin Chai Buhari!!!
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by fadjnr(m): 7:31pm On Jun 30, 2015
There are a lot of errors in this post.
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by dayorx(m): 7:32pm On Jun 30, 2015
I am very sure that there's been a mix up some where, a murder case cannot come b4 a magistrate court and if it does the case wud be transferred to a high court. Im sure wat happened was that the accused person injured the other party. Which at best is assault causing bodily harm.
The two parties obviously had a history, it was reported that the injured person was earlier arraigned for stealing frm the accused person.
If both parties agree to withdraw their respective complaints the magistrate may strike out both cases.

The facts of d case needs to be cross checked im sure someone reported it wrong

1 Like

Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jun 30, 2015
Jazz things
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jun 30, 2015
... good one...

Do you live in Akwa Ibom State? Do you relish the desire to own your own business with little start up capital and promising returns in investment? Do you hope to look into the mirror each morning and know you are talking to the boss? Are you enterprising?/Would you love to be? Do you have an aptitude for thinking out of the box? Then call or add me up on whatsapp 08085188110. You will be glad you did
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jun 30, 2015
wait... WHAT!
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by Omooba77: 7:54pm On Jun 30, 2015
mymadam:

Murder suspect: Kazeem Ajiga
Deceased: Raheem Omoyele

...Omoyele (the deceased?) was on Monday brought before Olagbegi-Adelabu on a charge of stealing 25 aluminium roofing sheets belonging to Ajiga.

Oh, 'the deceased' did not die after all. Where is the murder case coming from? Or am I missing something? Oh, never mind.

thank God I saw that part,can the dead appear in court?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by klax(m): 7:57pm On Jun 30, 2015
Funny indeed. Weird!!!
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by arabianights: 8:00pm On Jun 30, 2015
wirinet:
This case been made worse for the accused and possibly the judge. The accused has already pleaded guilty to murder, so he has been comfirmed to be a convicted murderer. The only problem now is the sentence or penalty. The judge does not have the power to discharge a convicted felon. The sentense is specified according to the criminal code. The punishment specified varies from 20 years to life depending on if the accused pleaded gulity to first degree or second degree murder. All the plaintive or an interested party needs to do is to appeal the judgement at the appeal court, and appropriate punishmnet according to the law would be handed the convicted murderer.

The appeal court cannot even review the case itself, only the judgement.

from the instant sef, dont believe the story.how can he be acquited even after been proven and he also confessed.
e be like say the magistrate go face disciplinary action also but i doubt if its true
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by deebsman1(m): 8:02pm On Jun 30, 2015
chairman u r just assuming a lot, u don't know what really transpired
betty202020:
i am pissed by the way they carried out the jungle justice and the way the judge adminstered justice here. is it because the family of the presumed thief has no money that made the judge to give this type of humilating judgement without minding the pains in the minds of the victim's family members. this is stealing for crying out loud not armed robbery. @least one year imprisonment would give the deseased family hope of justics. May God comfort them.
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by dustydee: 8:02pm On Jun 30, 2015
Useless journalism, the OP is worse than the reporter and the supermod who put it on the homepage is worse than the two. I guess they no longer teach grammar and comprehension in school again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by Charly68: 8:24pm On Jun 30, 2015
The judge herself must face prosecution. O my God ,we miss Chief Gani fawehinmi in this country. Adieu Gani omo Fawehinmi
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by ceejay80s(m): 8:30pm On Jun 30, 2015
E get one of my neighbour wey I wan kill, I will commit murder this week, hopefully, the judge go free me
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by bishop1988(m): 8:40pm On Jun 30, 2015
This is the best joke of the millenium.April fool in june...weldone
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by wirinet(m): 8:42pm On Jun 30, 2015
Eze2000:

didn't you also read that the their of a 'dead man' was also brought before the judge for stealing the aluminum roofing sheets? The their wasn't 'killed' he was probably 'panel heated to a near death state'

I am sorry for not seeing the obvious contradictions in the report. When i saw the headline and the word "lynched" i assumed that the victim was actually murdered. The journalist did not even bother to specify what the accused pleaded guilty to. It definitely cannot be murder. Besides as it has been noted, a magistrate court has no jurisdiction over murder cases.

Obviously what the accused was charged for and he pleaded guilty for must have been assault and battery, which probably carries a jail term less than 6 months with the option of a fine.

I still think the judge erred in law by acquitting someone who pleaded guilty to an offense. The best she should have done was to give the minimum sentence according to the law, maybe a fine.

Since the plaintive is an accused thief, the lawyers of the man accused of assault should have sued the guy for theft and even robbery of his aluminium parts before the same judge. The sentence for theft is far more serious that that of assault.

NIJ seriously needs to look into the quality of journalist our institutions are churning out.
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by architez: 8:57pm On Jun 30, 2015
This reminds you, children:

DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ IN NEWS PAPERS

Constantly remind yourself that what you are reading may not be how it happened.
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by anumide(f): 9:00pm On Jun 30, 2015
undecidedINTROVERT, INFROVERT, ENTROVERT. freemanan, judgment day is coming. :-XINTROVERT, INFROVERT, ENTROVERT. freemanan, judgment day is coming.
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by DMilanista: 9:22pm On Jun 30, 2015
dustydee:
Useless journalism, the OP is worse than the reporter and the supermod who put it on the homepage is worse than the two. I guess they no longer teach grammar and comprehension in school again.
I dey tell u. Misleading headline! No where in the news was issue of murder mentioned. That's Naija journalism for you.
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by ManTiger(m): 9:50pm On Jun 30, 2015
[size=40pt]Good thing is that Nigeria will soon have a barbaric law that will support the killings of thieves.[/size]
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by Alao96(m): 10:15pm On Jun 30, 2015
deebsman1:
pipu are just too fast to make comments here, did u guys does read the news article at all?
ok, this is what happened, in that scenario, the dead guy stole the accused aluminium roofing sheet, i.e the dead guy is a thief, (who knows maybe na 1 notorious and deadly thief sef), and unluckily for the dead guy, he was caught or something, who knows maybe its in d process, maybe the punishment meted on him was too much or something, and he passed on, and as we know nija police, they charged the man whose item was stolen (the accused) to court, but for the judge to be a reasonable fellow set him free and discard the case, which should really be the right thing in a sane environment. NICE JUDGMENT

My brother u get sense.... See as people dy foolishly comment on somting wey dem no understand
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by Lizylaw(f): 10:22pm On Jun 30, 2015
A magistrate court deciding a criminal matter? I dunno abt this story o
Re: Court Discharges Murder Suspect For Showing Remorse by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jun 30, 2015
Omooba77:
An Ijede Magistrates’ Court near Ikorodu, Lagos State on Tuesday discharged a man, Kazeem Ajiga, who allegedly lynched another man for stealing his aluminium roofing sheets.

Ajiga was arraigned on Tuesday for taking laws into his hands by executing jungle justice on a suspect, Raheem Omoyele, whom he accused of stealing his property.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Omoyele was on Monday brought before Olagbegi-Adelabu on a charge of stealing 25 aluminium roofing sheets belonging to Ajiga.

The Magistrate, Mrs Jumoke Olagbegi-Adelabu rules that Since Ajiga has shown remorse, caution and did not waste this court’s time by pleading guilty, I hereby discharge him and strike out the case

http://www.punchng.com/news/court-discharges-murder-suspect-for-showing-remorse/

I don't even understand what these people are saying. The topic is misleading joor! Which one come be murder suspect when the thief has already been arrested and brought to court. Ajiga is not a murder suspect but charge with taking laws into his own hands.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yunusa Jibrin Invents AI Tool To Identify Bandits / Man Nabbed For Stealing Yam In Onitsha (Photos) / FUTA Suspends Obalola And Others Involved In Bullying Mate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.