Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,208 members, 7,815,219 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

Saudi Prince Alwaleed Pledges $32bn To Charity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saudi Prince Alwaleed Pledges $32bn To Charity (866 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Denies Rejecting Bail, Pledges To Meet Conditions Within 48 Hours / Saudi Prince Invitation : Osinbajo To Represent Buhari On Trip / Donald Trump In Twitter Spat With Saudi Prince Alwaleed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saudi Prince Alwaleed Pledges $32bn To Charity by dustydee: 9:10pm On Jul 01, 2015
Saudi Arabia’s billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal has pledged his entire $32bn fortune to charitable projects over the coming years.

The prince said in a statement that the “philanthropic pledge will help build bridges to foster cultural understanding, develop communities, empower women, enable youth, provide vital disaster relief and create a more tolerant and accepting world.”

The donation “will be allocated according to a well-devised plan throughout the coming years”, he said, but stressed there was no time limit for the donation to be spent.

Alwaleed said he would head a board of trustees tasked with spending the funds, adding the pledge would still be used after his death “for humanitarian projects and initiatives”.

At a press conference, he said his pledge was modelled on The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in the US.

In addition to media investments, Kingdom Holding has interests ranging from the Euro Disney theme park to Four Seasons hotels and Citigroup.

He is constructing a tower in the Red Sea city of Jeddah which is to rise more than one kilometre to be the world’s tallest building.

Earlier this year, Alwaleed opened a pan-Arab news channel in Bahrain but authorities there shut the station after less than 24 hours on air and a new home is being sought.

Alwaleed last week in Paris signed a letter of intent with France’s CDC International Capital to create the first French-Saudi investment fund, worth up to $400 million.

A separate deal saw a French consortium and CDC IC invest about $150 million in Kingdom Holding.

Alwaleed told reporters he has already donated a total of $3.5bn over more than 35 years through his Alwaleed Philanthropies.

The charity has distributed houses and provided electricity to isolated Saudi communities, while supporting other projects around the world.

http://www.punchng.com/news/saudi-prince-alwaleed-pledges-32bn-to-charity/
Re: Saudi Prince Alwaleed Pledges $32bn To Charity by jimohibrahim(m): 9:10pm On Jul 01, 2015
Why can't someone like this give me at least one of the billion dollars.... Just one billion dollars is okay.

And i will pray for him for life...
Re: Saudi Prince Alwaleed Pledges $32bn To Charity by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 01, 2015
Just give me $2billion for me and my community.
Re: Saudi Prince Alwaleed Pledges $32bn To Charity by LoveMachine(m): 9:28pm On Jul 01, 2015
jimohibrahim:
Why can't someone like this give me at least one of the billion dollars.... Just one billion dollars is okay.

I feel ya mane.
Re: Saudi Prince Alwaleed Pledges $32bn To Charity by labamo07(m): 9:37pm On Jul 01, 2015
Nigerian politicians who stole public funds are always scared of being philanthropic. (If I go dey do charitable projects now, the money go finish, me I no wan broke o, God forbid)
Re: Saudi Prince Alwaleed Pledges $32bn To Charity by dustydee: 9:46pm On Jul 01, 2015
PUSH1:
Just give me $2billion for me and my community.

jimohibrahim:

Ain't you guys selfish? You don't even want the money to go round. How about $100k? won't that make you happy?

1 Like

Re: Saudi Prince Alwaleed Pledges $32bn To Charity by jimohibrahim(m): 9:52pm On Jul 01, 2015
dustydee:

Ain't you guys selfish? You don't even want the money to go round. How about $100k? won't that make you happy?
....I'll be happy for da rest of my life....
Re: Saudi Prince Alwaleed Pledges $32bn To Charity by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jul 01, 2015
Saudi arabia=ISIL
Re: Saudi Prince Alwaleed Pledges $32bn To Charity by tucky200(m): 10:52pm On Jul 01, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Saudi arabia=ISIL
Useless pikin...u don come again
Re: Saudi Prince Alwaleed Pledges $32bn To Charity by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jul 01, 2015
tucky200:
Useless pikin...u don come again
D truth bro, I just said d truth. Its either u "go and die" or u kip mute.
Re: Saudi Prince Alwaleed Pledges $32bn To Charity by mike404(m): 10:58pm On Jul 01, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Saudi arabia=ISIL
GBAM, THAT MONEY WAS DONATED TO ISIS
Re: Saudi Prince Alwaleed Pledges $32bn To Charity by pacifique(m): 10:59pm On Jul 01, 2015
Is someone thinking what am thinking
Re: Saudi Prince Alwaleed Pledges $32bn To Charity by tucky200(m): 11:01pm On Jul 01, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:

D truth bro, I just said d truth. Its either u "go and die" or u kip mute.

Just too useless
Re: Saudi Prince Alwaleed Pledges $32bn To Charity by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jul 01, 2015
tucky200:
Just too useless
If am ur problem, den u nid a doctor by ur side. Na HBP go kill u be dat
Re: Saudi Prince Alwaleed Pledges $32bn To Charity by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jul 01, 2015
dustydee:

Have you not heard that the Bible says "The Poor Will Not Cease From The Land" meaning; even if Alwaleed's Money could go round, there would always be the poor.

Reminds me of a funny prayer point I once heard at MFM about 9years ago - O Lord My Father, gather the wealth of Nigeria together; split it into 2, give me half and give the remaining half to the people.

Right there & then, I said to myself ; even Yahweh or Jehovah do not have the resources [Power, Might & Authority] to bring that prayer into fruition. grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

(Opinion) Buhari's Appointments Are Perfectly In Order! / Unique:masquerade In NYSC Uniform / The US's Interest In Nigeria Has Nothing To Do With Gay Law.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.