Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive (33184 Views)

BVN Fraudsters Bag Six Months Imprisonment (Photos) / Kidnappers Trying To Collect Ransom In Rivers Caught (Photos) / BVN Exposes 23,306 ‘ghost Workers’ On Fed Govt Payroll (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by jaybee3(m): 5:58am On Jul 04, 2015
Teespice:

when I did my BVN, I never did anything online. it is something one has to be physically present for.

na wa for scammers sha.

It's quite possible for them to devise a technical workaround that will present opportunity to register online though biometric details will still have to be collected at some point.
Simply put, they can issue temporary BVN's valid for a specified period until the user is physically able to present themselves for physical collection of their biometric details.

However, no solution has been rolled out by banks/CBN as of yesterday. Besides, I don't bank with first bank so that's clearly a phishing email
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by Teespice(f): 6:04am On Jul 04, 2015
jaybee3:

It's quite possible for them to devise a technical workaround that will present opportunity to register online though biometric details will still have to be collected at some point.
Simply put, they can issue temporary BVN's valid for a specified period until the user is physically able to present themselves for physical collection of their biometric details.

However, no solution has been rolled out by banks/CBN as of yesterday. Besides, I don't bank with first bank so that's clearly a phishing email

never knew this bit. was thinking that BVN had to be done with one present.

what is a phishing email? heard of it but I don't know what it means.
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by Nobody: 6:08am On Jul 04, 2015
Get Etisalat shared data bundle at a cheaper rate.

1gig --- -N1100
750mb---N900
500mb---N700
250mb---N400

Interested buyers can contact
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by jaybee3(m): 6:16am On Jul 04, 2015
Teespice:

never knew this bit. was thinking that BVN had to be done with one present.

what is a phishing email? heard of it but I don't know what it means.
Yes you are right. The current procedure requires physical collection of biometric details but there are plans for them to introduce measures that would enable those in diaspora to take part in the necessary exercise needed to curb fraud in the banking industry

Phishing => The process of trying to con unsuspecting customers by acting like legitimate companies. Basically, scammers create fake websites that mirrors exactly the ones they are trying to clone BUT hosted on different sites for the sole purpose of gathering confidential login details and/or credit card details so they can either clone your card or pose as you to withdraw all your hard earned cash
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by Teespice(f): 6:20am On Jul 04, 2015
jaybee3:

Yes you are right. The current procedure requires physical collection of biometric details but there are plans for them to introduce measures that would enable those in diaspora to take part in the necessary exercise needed to curb fraud in the banking industry

Phishing => The process of trying to con unsuspecting customers by acting like legitimate companies. Basically, scammers create fake websites that mirrors exactly the ones they are trying to clone BUT hosted on different sites for the sole purpose of gathering confidential login details and/or credit card details so they can either clone your card or pose as you to withdraw all your hard earned cash

wow.

so scamming don reach a new level.

received mails like that in the past but I delete them without bothering to check the contents.

thanks for the info on phishing.
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by niceguy7(m): 6:27am On Jul 04, 2015
glimpse33:
This is a cheap scam na! how can they take your finger print & picture online
These people are spoiling the image of Nigeria
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by symbianDON(m): 6:48am On Jul 04, 2015
atilla:
This is not fake o. Its using https and also look at the link isn't that the correct address?
It's very fake. The trick employed here is to create a text with firstbank's real web address and converting that text to web link to the fake address they want their victim to actually be directed to. So in the email the address looks real but upon clicking it, it takes you to a fake webpage (see the address in the last picture the op attached).

1 Like

Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by onajo2000(m): 6:59am On Jul 04, 2015
atilla:
This is not fake o. Its using https and also look at the link isn't that the correct address?
The link might look like the original one but once you click on it your email IP address has been taken and when you login with ur original Id and token then you are almost finished.
The link will change after u click on it but most people don't have time to check it.

1 Like

Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by balladin: 7:04am On Jul 04, 2015
atilla:
It's fake. Beware!
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by bobjack(m): 7:07am On Jul 04, 2015
glimpse33:

They can do anything oo
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by Emperoradrian(m): 7:29am On Jul 04, 2015
[quote author=glimpse33 post=35455265]This is a cheap scam na! how can they take your finger print & picture online[/quote dey only said click on d link.....no one is takin ur thumb print......lekpa formin rick ross
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by Emperoradrian(m): 7:33am On Jul 04, 2015
glimpse33:
dey only asked u to click on d link below if u want to stop d deactivation of ur online bankin acct.....no one is takin ur thumb print.....LEKPA FORMIN RICK ROSS...
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by Spells(m): 7:35am On Jul 04, 2015
They would scam e'm way to hell prede soon...
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by gmachine: 7:39am On Jul 04, 2015
bvn bvn bvnnn god save us ooo
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by chigoizie7(m): 7:47am On Jul 04, 2015
glimpse33:

Smh, u think they are actually looking for ur finger prints or pix?

If u think say, u sabi, try, click on that link.

People wey no know anything, claiming they know all.
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by opedaydydx9(m): 7:54am On Jul 04, 2015
glimpse33:
it all about online banking login details, try clicking the link and they will wipe ur cash....
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by Sleekyshuga(f): 8:18am On Jul 04, 2015
millionboi:
Blame politicians
And that's enough excuse to scam people?
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by damiloladuke: 8:21am On Jul 04, 2015
Jobs dey?

PRESIDENT BUHARI MUST READ MY SIGNATURE

YOU SELF MUST READ IF YOU WANNA LAFF TIRE TONIGHT
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by phemocheee(m): 8:23am On Jul 04, 2015
atilla:

A URL name within an email cannot be used to prove an authentic website. Move your mouse over that link and you will be shocked at the address that will come up. Please never fall for cheap scam like this
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by Nobody: 8:26am On Jul 04, 2015
Many Nigerians are just wasting their talents and skills on criminal acts.
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by ikechu1278: 8:27am On Jul 04, 2015
Yet they keep asking me why I think Nigeria is a worthless country filled with illiterates. See it now. Rather than find a job, they are constantly lazy. See it!!
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by UjSizzle(f): 8:40am On Jul 04, 2015
I've been receiving scam bvn mails from Access bank since last year. This country is tiring smh
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by Idowuogbo(f): 8:52am On Jul 04, 2015
Lmao @ ur fada! Jayboogie is crazy I swear

1 Like

Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by Campusser(m): 8:57am On Jul 04, 2015
Ishilove:
*facepalm* sad
Why are we Nigerians so criminally minded? WHY? cry

Peak! Itz in us
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by plendil: 9:10am On Jul 04, 2015
NaLaugh:
These dudes work 25 hours a day cheesy

I tell ya. I receive such silly emails in the hundreds. The thing tire me.

1 Like

Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by 400billionman: 9:12am On Jul 04, 2015
Freemanan:
grin

These DUDES SHOULD GET A LIFE

CHAI

Most people do not know what BVN means till they reach the banks. That it involves biometric data capture..

Biometric Verification Number..
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by Nobody: 9:15am On Jul 04, 2015
I don't just know why Nigerians are so dull in differentiation... That link is correct. It is not scammers.

Assuming it was scamming, you would have not say anything meaningful...

Search b4 u post or comment
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by Nobody: 9:22am On Jul 04, 2015
phemocheee:

A URL name within an email cannot be used to prove an authentic website. Move your mouse over that link and you will be shocked at the address that will come up. Please never fall for cheap scam like this

Click on the "homepage" of that site and slap yourself
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by Nobody: 9:32am On Jul 04, 2015
400billionman:

Most people do not know what BVN means till they reach the banks. That it involves biometric data capture..

Biometric Verification Number..
It's necessary if not...
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by jaybee3(m): 9:44am On Jul 04, 2015
Lucwaizy:
I don't just know why Nigerians are so dull in differentiation... That link is correct. It is not scammers.

Assuming it was scamming, you would have not say anything meaningful...

Search b4 u post or comment

Slow down your role Einstein

How come i was sent the email even though i've never banked with first bank

How come the URL is pointing to a completely different site?

You need to engage your brain Sir/Ma
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by emtebe(m): 9:50am On Jul 04, 2015
eipreel:
Nawa o! They should use these their initiatives for better things na angry

better things like?
Re: Scammers Trying To Take Advantage Of The BVN Directive by bitweezy: 10:21am On Jul 04, 2015
jaybee3:
The scumbags don start again ooooo

Why won't these mofos get honest paying jobs

CC: Ishilove

Kindly forward the mail to "abuse@firstbanknigeria.com" for appropriate action

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Escapes From Court Room, Jumps Into Canal To Evade Trial / Gunmen Storm Anambra Community, Destroy Vehicles (Photos) / 10 New Tricks Kidnappers Use To Lure Victims-the Punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.