Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,974 members, 7,825,039 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner (21096 Views)

#MadeInNaija: UK High Commissioner & His Son Rock Nigerian Attires (photos) / British Govt. Does Not Support Biafra Agitators – UK High Commission / I Won’t Resign Even If I Don’t Defeat Boko Haram By December, Says Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by MShittu: 9:29pm On Jul 07, 2015
I haven't posted anything on this forum in literal years, but I'm coming back to point things out here. Please READ the High Commisioner's comments in that article. The title of this thread is misleading. The High Commisioner clearly states that the army cannot defeat BH "on its own" and points out that cooperation between the FG and NE states is necessary as well. He also makes a third point that special attention must be paid to the economic realities in that region to really bring an end to the BH crisis. This is the same thing that literally everyone who's deeply researched the crisis knows and understands, and is reflected in the fact that the NE has the second highest region-wide poverty rate in the country (after the NW, refer to that post that was circulating on here a while ago). Add to that, the Commisioner als says that we have a higher chance of defeating BH now than before the election (it's literally in the article! Like literally just READ it instead of walking away with the post title. I'm not making this up please oh just read am comot).

Cc: lalasticlala , Ishilove. PLEASE change this thread's title to accurately reflect what the Commisioner was trying to say. He wasn't saying that we are losing the fight, just that we need to approach this from SEVERAL angles. Which is even what Buhari was saying. I am not making this up. Read the original/initial post and UNDERSTAND this please.

Kai I tire for NL sef. See you in another couple of years.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by tsdarkside(m): 9:29pm On Jul 07, 2015
kelvyn7:
dat was how they said Nigeria will split b4 2015 >:

bad belle people

thank you bros...we dont have to care about their opinion...we should care more about our selfs...
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by balimoney(m): 9:30pm On Jul 07, 2015
royal231:

Imagine if the more intelligent southerners start theirs.. by then it would really be... there was a country

you are on point brother.....there "was" once a federation called Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by hardbody: 9:33pm On Jul 07, 2015
kelvyn7:
dat was how they said Nigeria will split b4 2015 angry

bad belle people angry

We never split like this?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by MShittu: 9:34pm On Jul 07, 2015
olillywales:
The outgoing British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Andrew Pocock, has said the problem of Boko Haram insurgency in North-east Nigeria is not something that can be resolved with the use of the army, the police or the security agencies only.

Speaking at a farewell interactive session with members of Kaduna chapter of the Nigeria Union of Journalists Correspondent Chapel in Kaduna on Monday, Mr. Pocock said: “We don’t look at the problem in the Northeast as purely a security problem. It is not something that can be resolved with the use of the army of the police or the security agencies only. It is not going to be solvable.

“There has to be three different things; the first is a properly articulated security efforts. The second is that, there has to be a different kind of politics in the Northeast, where state and Federal Government work together instead of against each other and where there is a much more common and agreed agenda about what needs to be done to correct many years of mis-governance and of poor policy in the North-east.

“The third dimension has to be a developmental and economic uplift agenda. Too many, particularly young people are not only without employment in the North-east but because of the insurgency are without any economic prospect whatsoever. No one can live without hope and indeed if the economic and the developmental aspect of these are not addressed, the opportunities for radicalisation are much greater. So, those three things have to work in tandem, the security instrument, politics and development/economic approach.”

He however stated that with the new government of President Muhammadu Buhari, people are looking to a chance to get out of the security situation in the North-east, adding that, in the overall, there is greater possibility of stability and economic success, economic recovery perhaps than they might have been before the election.

The High Commissioner said although the army had some successes in 2013, those efforts were not followed up and Boko Haram came surging back in 2014 and effectively controlled most of the North-eastern country in Borno State as well as Adamawa and Yobe.

“20, 000 people killed in a conflict is a very serious matter,” he said.

He said in the overall, there is greater possibility of stability and economic success, economic recovery perhaps than they might have been before the election.

“The British government has long been involved in training Nigerian soldiers to fight the very difficult anti-insurgency combat that they are faced with in the North-east,” he said. “We have done this with some success. There is a lot more that we can do. What we need is high level access to the new people that President Buhari is likely to appoint.”

http://www.metronaija.com/2015/07/nigerian-army-cant-defeat-boko-haram-uk.html

Cc: lalasticlala , Ishilove

Just read the thing!
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by tsdarkside(m): 9:34pm On Jul 07, 2015
balimoney:
you are on point brother.....there "was" once a federation called Nigeria

nigeria can not split....the white-man brought the bible to africa(your own science the basstard stole,i dont know why,but its not going to help him....dont believe me??

watch this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j54feTa_VU
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by bidex(m): 9:34pm On Jul 07, 2015
pus23:
sad

[size=28pt]National mosque of the Independent country of the Kingdom of Western Nigeria. is different from the national mosque of the federal Republic of Nigeria. [/size]

[size=28pt]National mosque of the Independent country of the Kingdom of Western Nigeria[/size]
[img]http://images.world66.com/la/go/s_/lagos_central_mos_galleryfull[/img]

[size=28pt]National mosque of the federal Republic of Nigeria.[/size]

[size=28pt]National church of the Independent country of the Kingdom of Western Nigeria[/size]

[size=28pt]National church of the federal Republic of Nigeria.[/size]

[size=28pt]Centre bank of the Independent country of the Kingdom of Western Nigeria[/size]

[size=28pt]Centre bank of the federal Republic of Nigeria.[/size]

[size=28pt]The military Defense Academy/police is wearing the colors of the Independent country of the Kingdom of Western Nigeria, because it is separate country from the federal Republic of Nigeria.[/size]

In one word, what r u saying or insinuating?
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by chudi55: 9:37pm On Jul 07, 2015
olillywales:
The outgoing British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Andrew Pocock, has said the problem of Boko Haram insurgency in North-east Nigeria is not something that can be resolved with the use of the army, the police or the security agencies only.

Speaking at a farewell interactive session with members of Kaduna chapter of the Nigeria Union of Journalists Correspondent Chapel in Kaduna on Monday, Mr. Pocock said: “We don’t look at the problem in the Northeast as purely a security problem. It is not something that can be resolved with the use of the army of the police or the security agencies only. It is not going to be solvable.

“There has to be three different things; the first is a properly articulated security efforts. The second is that, there has to be a different kind of politics in the Northeast, where state and Federal Government work together instead of against each other and where there is a much more common and agreed agenda about what needs to be done to correct many years of mis-governance and of poor policy in the North-east.

“The third dimension has to be a developmental and economic uplift agenda. Too many, particularly young people are not only without employment in the North-east but because of the insurgency are without any economic prospect whatsoever. No one can live without hope and indeed if the economic and the developmental aspect of these are not addressed, the opportunities for radicalisation are much greater. So, those three things have to work in tandem, the security instrument, politics and development/economic approach.”

He however stated that with the new government of President Muhammadu Buhari, people are looking to a chance to get out of the security situation in the North-east, adding that, in the overall, there is greater possibility of stability and economic success, economic recovery perhaps than they might have been before the election.

The High Commissioner said although the army had some successes in 2013, those efforts were not followed up and Boko Haram came surging back in 2014 and effectively controlled most of the North-eastern country in Borno State as well as Adamawa and Yobe.

He said in the overall, there is greater possibility of stability and economic success, economic recovery perhaps than they might have been before the election.

“The British government has long been involved in training Nigerian soldiers to fight the very difficult anti-insurgency combat that they are faced with in the North-east,” he said. “We have done this with some success. There is a lot more that we can do. What we need is high level access to the new people that President Buhari is likely to appoint.”

britain is the worsth thing that could ever happen to zoo nigeria
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by haqueurate(m): 9:41pm On Jul 07, 2015
papaejima1:
No let Buhari hear you oo.
Have you forgotten his Chatham House Speech so fast?
you mean biafrauds are getting scared....only pple wishing evil on a country they reap from smh
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jul 07, 2015
tsdarkside:

look..i dont care what white-people say...they are the ones that put us toghether in the first place,knowing well we dont coup well with each other....soooo....now that,that is clear,,,,what are we going to do in our messed-up situation?? disintegration is out of the question...........
I believe WE will remain... It's Just a phase...
WE will survive it..
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by tsdarkside(m): 9:42pm On Jul 07, 2015
bidex:

In one word, what r u saying or insinuating?

i dont know you...and i dont realy care....but one thing i know is...i am not going against the obas....but,,,if you are trying something...his my soul against yours.... angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by ChimaAdeoye: 9:42pm On Jul 07, 2015
Freemanan:
shocked
EVEN THE OUTSIDERS KNOWS...

WHICH WAY NIGERIA?
Those that gave those boys guns thinking they were ganging up against GEJ should go and collect the guns from them. if they cannot or refuse, then they should then break up the damned zoo..
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by Litmus: 9:47pm On Jul 07, 2015
Have people actually dispassionately watched videos of the places Bokoharam terrorists destroyed in Nigeria? I have and compared to many places in Africa and Asia, the roads are good and you could tell that the schools were comparatively good and the communities relatively affluent by third-world standards. The upshot being that Bokoharm terrorism is not driven by poverty. The West is trying to push on Nigeria a very dangerous idea. That idea is one that can never be resolved because poverty is relative. In other words, wars based on the notion of uprising due to poverty is one that is capable of never being resolved as there will always be poverty as long as someone else is better off. Hillery Clinton refused to brand Bokoharam a terrorist organization and in so doing she positioned Nigeria and isolated Nigeria outside of the global terrorism troubles. That policy and view is partly responsible for Nigeria's current isolation in fighting this terrorism.

It looks like what is happening now is that since Buhari got into power by virtue of heavy assistance from the West, the West is once again trying to provide Bokoharam with that Hillery Clinton narrative. And since Buhari owes the West his position in power, he Buhari must play along or perhaps it also suits his own agenda. But Nigerians must fight this. Nigerians must never fall into the trap of branding Bokoharam an uprising of poverty or you people are doomed.
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by bidex(m): 9:48pm On Jul 07, 2015
tsdarkside:

i dont know you...and i dont realy care....but one thing i know is...i am not going against the obas....but,,,if you are trying something...his my soul against yours.... angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
.... Chai!!!! just for u to explain your pictures, u wan kill me with series of catastrophic grammatical blunder bullets. abeg go buy Queen Primer...
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by feedburner(m): 9:49pm On Jul 07, 2015
olillywales:

Nigeria is a fraud created by the UK
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jul 07, 2015
This one na true talk o.

www.aftatech.com
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by Fourwinds: 9:57pm On Jul 07, 2015
royal231:
There are no jobs for peeps all round nigeria.. not only the north east..Mr man

We are all unemployed... just that most southerners think outside the box thus creating they should first value education and do away with their useless religious ideologies

Imagine if the more intelligent southerners start theirs.. by then it would really be... there was a country

one of d few meaningful comment
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by walozanga(m): 10:16pm On Jul 07, 2015
THEY ALREADY KNOW DULLANDINHO CAN'T ACHIEVE ANYTHING IN THAT AREA.
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by eboyz: 10:22pm On Jul 07, 2015
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by Neplusultra(f): 10:28pm On Jul 07, 2015
May the almighty God judge all our past leaders alive or dead, who would have laid the foundation for a solid security system in this country, at least mount CCTV cameras, train and equip the army etc but chose to be selfish at the expense of innocent and defenceless citizens!
All the money stashed away in your foreign account will rust and the people you are saving it for will neva eat of it!
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by tsdarkside(m): 10:40pm On Jul 07, 2015
bidex:

.... Chai!!!! just for u to explain your pictures, u wan kill me with series of catastrophic grammatical blunder bullets. abeg go buy Queen Primer...

i beg you...what is Queen Primer??
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by tsdarkside(m): 10:42pm On Jul 07, 2015
Freemanan:

I believe WE will remain... It's Just a phase...
WE will survive it..

i believe that too...we have fall in love hating each other....its a perfect romance.... grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by bidex(m): 10:43pm On Jul 07, 2015
tsdarkside:

i beg you...what is Queen Primer??
... its A book for English language beginners
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by tsdarkside(m): 10:44pm On Jul 07, 2015
bidex:

... its A book for English language beginners

uhhhhh....come onnnnnnnnnnnnn......come on!
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by vioment: 10:50pm On Jul 07, 2015
Why won't they say that when they can just look and see the lack of organization happening internally. Internally, all governors are worried but not fighting with the federal government against this menace and is going to get very worse soon, I mean southern Nigeria attacks. Your shooku shooku red eye no go save you. na small small dem dey do am.
Governor Obiano should have been leading this fight amongst the governors now. He for be the man of the moment with President Buhari. Instead of pointing to governor Peter Obi, you for dey use the opportunity convince Anambra people as per why you go need invest more money for state security and why things suppose change. Things suppose change like recruiting campus students but your main focus for campus na year ones, and some year twos wey never blend, to forensic science, electronics and computer communication, physics. I mean like sponsor this people wey pass the test and the screenings, feed them, allowance them, school them, and dey always reorientate them until them graduate. Keep their identity secret and the organization go tell them to never reveal their identity while in university, tell anambra people say na because of security reasons; That way, you kill two birds with one stone by creating uncertainty among campus gangs, because them no go know whom to trust. Confra activities go drop drastically because you no go know who be government agent for campus, these good students can stay on the side lines in year one and two and just watch how the few current experts wey suppose dey on board now dey create havoc for confra guys in school, that way by the time these students enter fourth year, them go dun already leave school mata dey focus on preventing attacks, intelligence gathering, etc.
These things and many more effective measures can be deployed against bh. If them know say science and engineering go win them everytime, them tactics go change, before them know, them go dey educated if them wan counter measures. Army alone cannot win this type of thing lie lie, especially naija army wey fit help bh recruit, when them go dun go one area, beat everybody(good and bad), kill your papa, rape or kill your mama and sisters or wives, I mean denegrade you, totally disrespect all of una. Even for south, nobody like them talkless of when e set. Them no get enuff tactics for them arsenal. Na show in force to an area or ambush an area with no thorough intelligence. We need change of reality for Nigeria.
President Buhari is trying to set up strategy, governor Obiano seize this opportunity. Your gains are uncountable like having the forensics center of Nigeria and maybe Africa. Intelligence wins wars ask yankee. Them see as them enemies dey do, now, them no fit finish all of them at once, but them keep them on the run, and when always on the run, they are liable to make several mistakes which you can capitalize on.
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by eboyz: 11:00pm On Jul 07, 2015
boko haram can,t catch boko haram.nigeria make una use una head now.this nah pay back time.
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by kelvyn7: 11:03pm On Jul 07, 2015
hardbody:

We never split like this?
ehnnn, we never bad reach like dat nau
although tins are not as we want but let's remain hopeful
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by juman(m): 11:24pm On Jul 07, 2015
kendrick9:
nigerian army is overrated anyway

nigerian army is not overrated, what happening is that military people are also like other nigerians the interest and love of the country has been removed from the heart of people because of bad leadership.
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 11:34pm On Jul 07, 2015
olillywales:

Useless british man talking trash,What happen to failed policies of past northern presidents, I can't call them Nigerian presidents.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by mobi5592: 11:38pm On Jul 07, 2015
hansad:
Who does not know?

Boko Haram has maintained that it is fighting for a country governed by sharia criminal codes.

12 northern Nigeria states had since adopted use of sharia criminal codes.

Mehn wahala dey o.....the above report on buhari was covered in 2001. If sharia means that much to buhari in 2001 I doubt if anything has changed in his vision and principle....little wonder FFK's statemwnt.
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by architez: 1:18am On Jul 08, 2015
Freemanan:
shocked
EVEN THE OUTSIDERS KNOWS...

WHICH WAY NIGERIA?

Congrats on your FTC. Forgive me, but what level did u attain in school? What kind of grammar is this? "EVEN THE OUTSIDERS KNOWS" !!!
Re: Nigerian Army Can’t Defeat Boko Haram Alone – UK High Commissioner by persius555(m): 5:24am On Jul 08, 2015
Emmy4Naija:
This British Consular, forgot the 4th part; the Conspiracy theory sold to poor Northerns and the guy on the street against the entire Nigerians. Which I believe we need the help of the religious leaders in the North to tackle.
God help Nigeria.
exactly, well said. The ordinary man in the north would believe anything the religious leaders throw at them. The genesis of the crisis in the north was the introduction of sharia in the obasanjo era. Sharia has become a tool in the hands of jihadists. Sharia is a front to actualise the ultimate goal of the wahabis, which is forceful conversion of every man on earth to islam (not every muslim suscribes to this). Sharia like every law has been abused, even in places where its fully in place. Proper religious education and re-orientation and rehabilitation is what the north needs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NNPC Recommends Sale Of Refineries, Buhari Disagrees / Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees / Sale Mamman: "I Did Not Collapse, The Doctor Advised Me To Get Some Rest"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.