Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,050 members, 7,821,614 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:42 PM

Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. (1222 Views)

Endless Inconclusive Changes Are We Cursed? / Are We Cursed Or Are We The The Cause? / Are We Cursed Of Are We Just Too Blind To See (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by OKEYCHIVIV(m): 2:27pm On Mar 06, 2009
Who is behind epileptic power supply in Nigeria-Government or oil cabals.
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by OKEYCHIVIV(m): 2:32pm On Mar 06, 2009
I use 10,000 liters of diesel in about 3weeks to run my generators-not good for business.
Its only God that will help us and EFCC should do more to those working very hard to make sure we remain in darkness.
ow many megawatts are we on-God help us.
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by Fhemmmy: 2:36pm On Mar 06, 2009
Till those families that are making billions of naira on yearly basis importing generators into Nigeria on a daily basis stop funding the campaign of the elected Senators, house of Rep and President, there is no way out of the dark for Nigeria.
But Nigeria is not caused, but we just lack what it takes to get rid of all these greedy fools, but then, how many of us will pass away such opportunity, when even the child in the womb knows the fun and the freedom that comes with money.
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by Fhemmmy: 2:36pm On Mar 06, 2009
OKEYCHIVIV:

I use 10,000 liters of diesel in about 3weeks to run my generators-not good for business.
Its only God that will help us and EFCC should do more to those working very hard to make sure we remain in darkness.
ow many megawatts are we on-God help us.
have you look into other source of energy, like solar?
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by JustGood(m): 4:19pm On Mar 06, 2009
We were cursed the day we celebrated Badamosi Babangida's coup
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by Fhemmmy: 4:20pm On Mar 06, 2009
JustGood:

Pls explain
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by JustGood(m): 4:24pm On Mar 06, 2009
That was the day we welcomed graft in administration. That was the day we rejoiced in the triumph of the devil over his own agents. That was the day we accepted that we, as a people, do not like the bitter truth because it tastes bitter initially.
That was the day we gave the devil the right to dig the gutters for Nigeria.

Badamosi Babangida prepared the way for every evil thing that we see and experience now!
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by JJYOU: 4:26pm On Mar 06, 2009
JustGood:

this is too brilliant.
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by Fhemmmy: 4:37pm On Mar 06, 2009
JustGood:

That was the day we welcomed graft in administration. That was the day we rejoiced in the triumph of the devil over his own agents. That was the day we accepted that we, as a people, do not like the bitter truth because it tastes bitter initially.
That was the day we gave the devil the right to dig the gutters for Nigeria.

Badamosi Babangida prepared the way for every evil thing that we see and experience now!

and what will you call Festac 77? when pple just feel like wasting money to celebrate, why couldnt they assign such money into projects that makes sense.
IBB allowed nonsense, what will u say abt OBJ, a messaih ?
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by blacksta(m): 4:41pm On Mar 06, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Till those families that are making billions of naira on yearly basis importing generators into Nigeria on a daily basis stop funding the campaign of the elected Senators, house of Rep and President, there is no way out of the dark for Nigeria.
But Nigeria is not caused, but we just lack what it takes to get rid of all these greedy fools, but then, how many of us will pass away such opportunity, when even the child in the womb knows the fun and the freedom that comes with money.

Can please supply concrete facts and stop alleging . I would advise that we stop jumping behind such excuse as the reason why we cant generate electricity in Nigeria. I believe it is just down to the fact that we have incompetent leaders.
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by Fhemmmy: 4:46pm On Mar 06, 2009
blacksta:

Can please supply concrete facts and stop alleging . I would advise that we stop jumping behind such excuse as the reason why we cant generate electricity in Nigeria. I believe it is just down to the fact that we have incompetent leaders.

Who is the big name behind generator importation?
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by OKEYCHIVIV(m): 4:59pm On Mar 06, 2009
Fhemmmy and blacksta,
I salut you guys.
Our leaders and generator importers cum oil cabals-what do we then do to them;prayer or REVOLUTION?
Fhemmmy can we go to yahoo.com and talk more about the solar thing,am interested.Send your id please.
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by blacksta(m): 5:19pm On Mar 06, 2009
Nigeria’s electricity woes
By Ben Nanaghan
Published: Tuesday, 3 Mar 2009

Writing on Nigeria’s energy and power problems is like rewriting the history of corruption in Nigeria. And it is not a convenient and palatable topic because Nigeria has been held hostage by a very powerful clique of buccaneers who have refused to let go.

It is not that Nigeria lacks the technological, natural resources or human capital potentials to generate more megawatts to meet the nation’s energy requirements; but those Generals (and their allies) in their hilltop castles remotely control every activity in order to maintain their strangle-hold and vice-grip on a Nigeria that is daily struggling to breath. Nigeria is blessed with resources vast enough to meet all her energy requirements. The river network makes hydro electricity our single largest potential source of electricity. In the same perspective, our hydro potential, which remains obsolete and largely untapped, is sufficient to provide up to 50,000 megawatts of electricity if fully harnessed.

Other untapped sources of energy are solar, clean coal, oil and gas and wind. All of these, if fully harnessed, will make us major vendors of electricity to other African countries.

During a media chat in December 2007, President Umaru Yar’Adua promised to declare a state of emergency in the power sector to get Nigeria out of its economic predicament since power is the tonic for industrial growth. So, the President knows the critical importance of energy and power? He promised that all hands would be on deck to increase our electricity power from 3,000 megawatts to 10,000MW by the end of 2008. He also promised the nation 30,000MW by 2011 and a whopping 50,000MW by 2015. Was the President dreaming? Was he joking? Was he just flying a kite? Or was he fooling Nigerians?

By August 2008, our 3,000 megawatts had plummeted to 2,000 and by December 2008, the President’s projected 10,000MW was less than 2,000. 2,000 MW for a population of 150 million! That is an incredible 75,000 people to one megawatt, against the recommended ratio of 300 people to one megawatt for developing nations. I do not cast any doubts on the President’s optimism, sincerity of purpose and intentions. I rather pity the President’s “stubbornness” for trying to go beyond the precincts of his masters’ delineations. I see the President as willing horse but with a brit-controlled mechanism to checkmate his overzealousness and over-enthusiasm; a mechanism to compartmentalise the President and ensure he operates only within a prescribed precinct and zone.

For instance, all the President’s talk about vision 2010 and all the millennium development goals put together are hogwash and a political charade to hoodwink a gullible and compliant society into an irredeemable state of hopelessness if energy and power are not given top priority. This is because there is an unavoidable nexus between electricity and industrialisation.

Early in February 2009, the Federal Minister for Mines and Power told the whole world that the Federal Government would soon start work on the National Integrated Power Projects. This followed a meeting of the Presidential Steering Committee on NIPP headed by Vice President Goodluck Jonathan.

The minister said, “Some outstanding logistics and funding issues have slowed down the project,” but he did not elaborate on these ‘outstanding logistics’ and funding issues. He was diplomatic enough not to let the world know that the greatest problem of the NIPP is unexecuted contracts. Contracts worth hundreds of billions of Naira have been awarded to certain very powerful members of the same clique that controls this country. All monies were paid up-front but not a single equipment has been mobilized. Let the minister deny this.

The problem with the Nigerian energy sector is that the more money you inject into it, the less you will see of the impact and outcome. An estimated $16bn has been pumped into the energy sector since 1999, with the aim of increasing our megawatts from 3,000 in 1999 to 10,000 in 2009. What a tragedy!

Nigerians spend about $120bn annually in fueling generators. This is good money that could have been put to better use to boost the economy. Early this year, the Federal Government went a step further by ensuring uninterrupted electricity through an unprecedented budgetary allocation of $2bn (about N300bn) to run and maintain generators for government officials. Even the Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), an agency devoted to fighting corruption, got $250,000 (about N37.5m) for the running and maintenance of its generators this year.

Do you still wonder why Nigeria, with its expanding population, cannot exceed the almost jinxed 3,000MW? It is not that Nigeria cannot have constant electricity. South Africa, with a population of 45 million, has electricity facility of about 50,000MW, which is about 900 people to one megawatt. About 80 percent of South Africa is electrified. In Malawi, Mozambique and some West African countries, it is a paltry five percent. In Nigeria, actual electrification is about two percent when outages are computed.

Is it that we cannot enjoy uninterrupted electricity as does Ghana? We can; but the situation is very complex. Presently, China, even with the global economic downturn, is boosting her economy with a massive generator trade boom with Nigeria’s faceless billionaire generator importers. These faceless economic saboteurs will even kill to ensure continued darkness in their fatherland.

Apart from the generator importers, there is another very lucrative reason why Nigeria must continue to be in darkness. The same people who made it possible for an oil-rich country like Nigeria to depend on imported finished petroleum products to run its ailing and comatose industries, are the same people who have made it impossible for her to operate just one semi-functional refinery.

The absence of functional refineries, the greed of generator importers and the allocation of diesel and petrol importation to a single importer are the three greatest fatalities that combine in a macabre fashion to deprive Nigerians of adequate electricity. And darkness will continue in Nigeria as long as these three conditions prevail. The Obasanjo administration overflogged the issue of building more refineries. It encouraged private refineries but did not approve of any, for obvious reasons.

The cannibalization and prostrate condition of the refineries are the greatest crimes committed against us all by our past and present rulers. The criminals are still alive, bestriding the nation with pomp, pride and applause. A directory of generator company chairmen and importers will shock Nigerians, as it includes former very senior government officials, ministers, commissioners and directors-general. But I have a firm conviction that a change is on the way. Either the Rawlings’ way, or the Obama way, a change will surely come.

Now, many of the nation’s big industries are planning to relocate to Ghana due to quarterly losses resulting from an increased expenditure on generator servicing and diesel. So, when you see the next pack of a local toothpaste, watch it; it might have been imported from Ghana. Ghanaians will gain so much from this and the domino effect on the their economy will be astronomical.

Oh, Nigeria! When shall thou see thy wholesome days again?
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by JustGood(m): 5:51pm On Mar 06, 2009
Fhemmmy:

and what will you call Festac 77? when pple just feel like wasting money to celebrate, why couldnt they assign such money into projects that makes sense.
IBB allowed nonsense, what will u say abt OBJ, a messaih ?

FESTAC 77's legacy should still be with us but we have destroyed the infrastructures and everything that any other nation would have benefitted from hosting an event of such magnitude.
Why do you think nations jostle to host events and sports competitions?
Nigeria benefitted from Festac 77 but we did not make use of the benefits of the event. Look at the state of the National theatre. . . look at the supposed beautiful homes in Festac.

Although the Gowon regime did not have great vision, it did not embark on a looting spree like Badamosi did. Gowon had the chance to put Nigeria on a sound footing but he did not invest wisely but he was not stealing and encouraging others to do same. Babngida, on the other hand, embarked on a looting spree and encouraged everyone to become looters.

I knew enough economics to see that the main reason has gone so far into the gutters is the fact that we allowed Badamosi Babangida to rule over us.
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by Fhemmmy: 6:45pm On Mar 06, 2009
OKEYCHIVIV:

Fhemmmy and blacksta,
I salut you guys.
Our leaders and generator importers cum oil cabals-what do we then do to them;prayer or REVOLUTION?
Fhemmmy can we go to yahoo.com and talk more about the solar thing,am interested.Send your id please.

Give me your yahoo id and i will add you.
But with Solar panel, i am sure you cant go wrong.
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by Fhemmmy: 6:49pm On Mar 06, 2009
JustGood:

FESTAC 77's legacy should still be with us but we have destroyed the infrastructures and everything that any other nation would have benefitted from hosting an event of such magnitude.
Why do you think nations jostle to host events and sports competitions?
Nigeria benefitted from Festac 77 but we did not make use of the benefits of the event. Look at the state of the National theatre. . . look at the supposed beautiful homes in Festac.

Although the Gowon regime did not have great vision, it did not embark on a looting spree like Badamosi did. Gowon had the chance to put Nigeria on a sound footing but he did not invest wisely but he was not stealing and encouraging others to do same. Babngida, on the other hand, embarked on a looting spree and encouraged everyone to become looters.

I knew enough economics to see that the main reason has gone so far into the gutters is the fact that we allowed Badamosi Babangida to rule over us.

You are a real comedian, if want to tell me that the reason Nigeria has been a mess for the last how many year was cos IBB ruled Nigeria for some years out of it, and OBJ, Buhari, even Murtala are not to be blamed? my friend get real, the problem started way longer than IBB, IBB inherited the nonsense and he continue the nonsense that the God-father of Nigeria want continued, Nigeria is a nation that has to do away with God-fatherism.
There is no nation in the world where ppple that held the nation in their palm will sponsor your campagn and you will win and not dance to their tune, face reality, Nigeria is still iin the hands of few and till that seizes nothing can move ahead in that nation.
See the time of OBJ, how much did he has in his account to run for office, so you think those that sponsored him will just chill and let him destroy where they got the money to sponsor his ugly a$$? it is not possible.
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by ilaugh1: 6:52pm On Mar 06, 2009
u may be cursed, but for me, i am blessed.
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by Moonstone(f): 9:00pm On Mar 06, 2009
We are not cursed, we just don't know how to manage our resources and we put the worst people to manage our resources for us. Our funds are diverted to private accounts all over the world and our people keep making it worse by not complaining in the right way.

I call that being wasteful but not being cursed. We are cursed in the sense that we have idiots ruling us or sensible greedy people. . . . now that's where we are cursed
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by OKEYCHIVIV(m): 10:08am On Mar 07, 2009
I call that being wasteful but not being cursed. We are cursed in the sense that we have idiots ruling us or sensible greedy people. . . . now that's where we are cursed

moonstone thanks.in this case what do we do-prayer worriors should break the curse.
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by Nobody: 10:23am On Mar 07, 2009
PHCN (Please Hold your Candles at Night) was suppose to be a solution but it became a part of the problem adding more to the problem angry angry angry angry angry,  Ahh Black man na wao!!! When you put accountant in the position of minister for technology and you put retired soldier as minister for agriculture and no one is asking questions, they can run it as they like.
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by deb(m): 5:26pm On Mar 10, 2009
my guy you have forgotten that [b]P[/b]roblem [b]H[/b]ad only [b]C[/b]hanged [b]N[/b]ame?

It might look bleak but surely I tell you this power problem will be solved someday when we
have a man like Fashola as Nigeria's president
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by oderemo(m): 6:49pm On Mar 10, 2009
@deb

can you educate me on what fashola has done to warrant his nomination for president?
Re: Power Supply In Nigeria,are We Cursed. by deco2come: 7:46am On Mar 11, 2009
You are cursed if you believe you are. As for me no one has cursed me.

(1) (Reply)

New Name For Nigeria / Why I Built N130m Gov’s Lodge - Zamfara Lg Boss / The Impotence Of Voodoo, Otumokpo, Ijebu Spells - Yar'adua Factor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.