Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,852 members, 7,813,902 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:06 PM

Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. (8935 Views)

Which Of The Nigerian Local Languages Would You Like To Learn? / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Nigeria's Local Languages On The Verge Of Extinction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Backslider(m): 8:18am On Mar 09, 2009
@post

This is a very good question. Atleast we know that we have so many language. The reason why you are thinking of banning any language is because Nigeria is not a yet a PRACTICING COUNTRY. A country that cannot choose what it wants is still in a state of dependance.

When you dont use what you have you loose it. If you see a snake and you have a BIG STONE in your hands and you cant use to kill the snake what happens when giving a small stone to kill a bigger snake.

The three major ethnics groups have failed Nigeria. This failure has been promoted by the SUPER CLASS of Nigeria. The Super class nigeria use tribalism as a good defence line to rob and destroy nigeria.

People of Nigeria if we had even 4 major languages and it is not made compulsory that we speak it. Then there is no need learning the language.

If our people cannot speak any other language apart from their own language then why should we all go our ways. In Ghana where I reside now I was surprised to know that some people can speak 3 -4 languages.

Like I used to say I would rather learn igbo or Ijaw rather than german that just have less than 20 million in the world.

If we make it compulsory for our kids to speak 4 languges by the time they are leaving secondary school and 2 when they are leaving University.

We also need to create language local labs and language villages.

We have to make all federal civil service military and police speak 2 other languages before they are give any Job. If they are in the Job now they must be given time to learn the language or leave the Job.

Selah
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by bintab(f): 8:56am On Mar 09, 2009
@topic, you kinda make sense but we all know it's not going to happen. And for y'all saying language is the least of Nigeria's problem, you are so wrong. Ethnocentrism is one of the biggest problems Nigeria faces. I come across topics belittling one ethnic group or the other on a regular basis here on nairaland.

I also think it's totally unfair that some people's language are regarded as not among the 'main' languages of the country. Why are igbo, yoruba, and hausa the only main languages? There would be some level of equality if everyone speaks the same language, then one group wouldn't feel better than the other. But anyways, it will be a miracle if it happens.
[quote][/quote]This is actually food for thought.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Grouppoint(m): 12:23pm On Mar 09, 2009
Thanks to all who contributed on either side of the fence; even those who called me naïve, silly, even a child.

These thoughts of mine where born out of observations made over several decades growing up in Nigeria and overseas. I am nearly 40 years old, and not nearly naïve. I wish I was, after all, little children are pure in heart.

I have lived and worked in 4 continents of the world and so I make bold to say that I have seen very many things,
I am from one part of Nigeria, and married 10 years to a wonderful lady from the opposite end.

I can tell you that the battle to get our families to accept our marriage was fought purely on language and cultural lines, as opposed to personality, compatibility and integrity.

We all know that many parents in Nigeria today would still rather have the wrong person marrying their child, so long as he spoke their own language.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Grouppoint(m): 12:26pm On Mar 09, 2009
I went into the above preamble just to shed some light.

I appreciate the need and importance of preserving our culture, and our myriad 250+ languages, but at what cost?

Do we remain a very tribalistic, divided, ineffective nation that is only very rich in language and culture?

We as Nigerians need to start telling ourselves the truth.
We can not expect to have good leadership, when we keep looking for the good leaders only from within our tribes.

Why would we have a man like Y’aradua as President, if not for the language he speaks?

Similarly, we would probably have the next available southerner in 2011, simply for the agitation that a person from the south speaking part of Nigeria should be given a chance?

If the languages, tribe etc did not exist, then time after time, we would vote and elect persons based on the value they are bringing rather than all the balance of play that we are perpetually focussing on?

Is this not what brings about good leadership?
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by tamme: 2:44pm On Mar 09, 2009
Nooooooooooooo
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Grouppoint(m): 3:03pm On Mar 09, 2009
@tamme
Would you say then, that it is more important to hold on to your culture even at the detriment of your country moving forward,
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by londoner: 3:28pm On Mar 09, 2009
Its impossible to ban languages, you can only ban something by making it illegal. I would not support it, indegenous languages and culture should be kept alive.

The problem is not the languages, its the LACK OF NATIONAL IDENTITY. It is because of this crucial ingredient being missing that people cleave so unhealthily to their own tribe/culture/religion at the detriment of the nation.

You can have Americans from all over the globe, still speaking their language but a the same time they all know, understand and have BOUGHT INTO the idea of being American. It is part of their pyschy.

Most importantly, for most Americans it comes first. Many Nigerians simply tolerate the fact that they belong to Nigeria. Its not something which I embraced really. What should be made unfashionable is the tribalist/religious generalisations which are alive and well in far too many Nigerian homes and minds, even those abroad.

When it becomes a taboo to look down on someone, or indeed up to someone because of tribe or religion, we will make headway to rid ourselves of divisions which have been expoited so negatively.

I can think of at least three instances of bloodshed or violence which would have been averted this year alone, if we had been able to adopt a new attitude.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by laniks: 6:16pm On Mar 09, 2009
i have not read all the pages, but has anyone addressed Hispanics in the US?
The US actually has two official language currently Spanish and English!

I do not wish to give up my language -- its not going to solve any problem!

ETA: The easiest way to solve OUR problem is to split up,--
Does Ghana speak one language?
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by honeric01(m): 6:56pm On Mar 09, 2009
I wish Nigeria would copy the way America run their states, let the federal government make it a must that every state should generate funds and revenue internally and only come to the federal government for funds or loan when they have to take on huge projects that is interstate related, and they should only act as a watchdog to Nigeria as a whole, I don't know if this is going to go well with everyone, but what do you guys think? undecided
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Grouppoint(m): 8:02pm On Mar 09, 2009
@Honerico,
I see your point but if each state was to generate their resources, then we'll be back to the whole subject of the civil war. Devolution, resource control etc

@Laniks
We have to accept that Nigeria is one. Many have intermarried and moved on. Rather than castigate the Hausas, one should study them more closely in order to understand how they managed to hold on to power since independence. A daft people could not do that.
Furthermore, can you not see that hispanics look and feel less american than the Jews, Italian, Irish-americans. Why is this? I'd say its because they are still holding on to their culture and language, think about it.

@Londoner,
I agree with your hyposthesis of national identity. That is what I am trying to propound by suggesting a ban on tribal languages as a means to foster oneness. if we all spoke the same language, it will gradually become difficult to see the difference between Igbo, Yoruba, Ijaw, hausa etc.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by londoner: 8:19pm On Mar 09, 2009
@ Grouppiont, I know where you are coming from, but I am of the opinion that it is not what you take away but rather what you introduce which will make the difference. I dont know of any African country where there is only one culture, not even in the places where they speak Swahili. They also speak their indegenous languages too. They have a different mentality. Nigeria right now is a forced coexistence.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by honeric01(m): 6:22am On Mar 10, 2009
@Grouppiont
America didn't become america just like that, most states in America were already independent just like the case of Nigeria in the old days, it was britain that had to forcefully join the whole states together just like how the few states in america who were together decided to convince or force other states around them to come together just to become one nation. Mind you, Alaska still wants to pull out of america and become a country on their own and it was California who was forced into joining america last. most of these transition went through civil war. but then look at them today, they are flourishing. another thing, America

has more than one language and they even have native languages too, i have never heard those languages were banned. go to texas, they have a local language there apart from english, the native americans mostly speak in their local language and some of them don't even understand English and they are inside this same america. Alaska, Hawaii and host of others from the south have local languages too, this is to let you know, the problem with Nigeria is not language but the mentality we have as Nigerians.
lastly, the government has a big part in our problems by dividing Nigeria into 6 geo-political zonesm this is another method of tribalism and ethnic divisions.

the least is to even think of banning the language because there is no way it will work, try it from your town and see the progress you make ok?
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by ikeyman00(m): 9:59am On Mar 10, 2009
@ post

poeple never make sense

ban ur lingo u right

get urself micheal jackson skin
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by biina: 11:41am On Mar 10, 2009
@OP
boke!
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by ChinenyeN(m): 2:29pm On Mar 10, 2009
Grouppoint, are you talking about banning speach or banning the use of local language in government-related work? Either way, I still see it as highly unnecessary.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Afam4eva(m): 4:09pm On Mar 10, 2009
Banning our languages will not end the whole problem.
       Firstly,all the fair people in nigeria will have to rub Charcoal so that everybody's skin will be even.
       Secondly, we have to cut the legs of all the tall people so that everybody will be of the same height.
       The name of states in nigeria have to be changed to english.
       All the rich people will have to become poor and vice versa.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by tpia: 4:20pm On Mar 10, 2009
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by tpia: 4:22pm On Mar 10, 2009
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by roxeey: 4:24pm On Mar 10, 2009
N/L pls i need ur help

i'm in love with a man that is as old as my father nd ve bin trying to take him off my mind
                bt its difficult,nd my boyfriend is complaining that ve change.pls help me   i'm confused
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Grouppoint(m): 4:54pm On Mar 10, 2009
@Honerico
I see your point. But in America, all the people who retain their indigenuous languages are seen as the minority. You will hardly find them occupying national positions. Their appearance and speech is very different from what we know as 'american'.

@Afam4eva,
Are you suggesting that people from each part of Naija are physically distinct from others? We can only generalise. As I'm sure that you will find light-skinned, dark-skinned, tall, and short in all the corners of Nigeria.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Grouppoint(m): 4:56pm On Mar 10, 2009
roxeey:

N/L pls i need ur help

i'm in love with a man that is as old as my father nd ve bin trying to take him off my mind
bt its difficult,nd my boyfriend is complaining that ve change.pls help me i'm confused

Roxeey, you are indeed so confused that you are posting on the wrong thread.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by jaguda(m): 6:26pm On Mar 10, 2009
na so una know book? and una still dey where una dey? una for dey presidency dey push forward dis agenda or proposal or make una SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!. if una no get work, make una blow whistle.

which language u want adopt an national lingua? see their coconut heads.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Nobody: 6:55pm On Mar 10, 2009
@ topic

How will alienating ourselves help us? Isn't that succumbing to the the great man?
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by ifele(m): 7:44pm On Mar 10, 2009
You chaps are concerned about ethnicity and laguage differences. The truth is that we all need to accept every member of society. We need acceptance in society there is too much rejection and hatred of differences.
Nigerians should learn to accept differences instead of trying to wipe them out. Hatred of differences in language, skin
and appearance is the problem.
We need to be multicultural and international.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by ikeyman00(m): 10:04pm On Mar 10, 2009
BAN LINGO

wouldnt stop corruption,

wouldnt provide 24-7 electricity

etc

these are factors that should be bondin us in line nigeria media national zeals
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Grouppoint(m): 12:11pm On Mar 11, 2009
ikeyman00:

BAN LINGO

wouldnt stop corruption,

wouldnt provide 24-7 electricity

etc

these are factors that should be bondin us in line nigeria media national zeals

When we had 24/7 electricity and wealth, Nigeria was highly tribalised and even went to war. So I'm not sure these factors will bond us.
If the differences are blurred and our similarities are highlighted, then we will bond as one nation.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Grouppoint(m): 12:12pm On Mar 11, 2009
jaguda:

na so una know book? and una still dey where una dey? una for dey presidency dey push forward dis agenda or proposal or make una SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!. if una no get work, make una blow whistle.

which language u want adopt an national lingua? see their coconut heads.

Jaguda,
Do u believe that you made any sense with your post?
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by ikeyman00(m): 3:23pm On Mar 11, 2009
the fact u are on the[b] GRoundpoint[/b] means emm u are aint sensationally fit to talk ding my friend!!

when we have good premier league with standarised stadium whereby u have igbo, aboki, oduduwa that made up team right, i tell over time those hate will start to dampen out !!!

goood roads etc

yes these will surely bond us as time goes!!!

but have u noticed Nigerian seemed to be united where Super eagles was on their peak!!!

sure there are other way to peddle things up

loosin ur language ?? are u a snake without its skin shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

morons !!!!! and foolsssssssssss

nonesense cool
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Grouppoint(m): 3:32pm On Mar 11, 2009
ikeyman00:

the fact u are on the[b] GRoundpoint[/b] means emm u are aint sensationally fit to talk ding my friend!!

loosin ur language ?? are u a snake without its skin shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

morons !!!!! and foolsssssssssss

nonesense cool

Are you having a bad day?
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by ikeyman00(m): 3:35pm On Mar 11, 2009
stay grounded!!!

laterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr cool

if u like speak alceida lingo!
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Grouppoint(m): 3:58pm On Mar 11, 2009
@ikeymann00
Are you able to hold a discussion without abusing unneccessarily, or backing out completely?

We have already agreed that there is a problem with national unity. You had some good points; but you did not need to rain abuse like that would solve the situation.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Grouppoint(m): 4:13pm On Mar 11, 2009
For instance, much has been said about Gov Fashola being an excellent administrator. But come 2011 or 2015; if its not the turn of the Yorubas to be president, then Nigeria will have to do without his services. All because his tribe is not yet appropriate for the job.

Did we see that in the US, France or UK?
What is Obama's language?

Research South Africa, and you would observe that the problem again lies with tribe and tongue.

, and as the bible scholars will attest, God only introduced different tongues and languages so that man will become disunited and not achieve the impossible. (genesis 11 1-9)

So what do you do if you want to bring about unity?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? / Countries That Speak Igbo Languge / Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.