Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,827 members, 7,813,745 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. (8934 Views)

Which Of The Nigerian Local Languages Would You Like To Learn? / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Nigeria's Local Languages On The Verge Of Extinction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by ikeyman00(m): 6:04pm On Mar 11, 2009
forget zulu-nation, we are nigerians, never underestimate ur nigerian blood.

i mean take a look at all other african country, till now they are still blowing eachother up.

somalia, kenya, congo kishaka,ivory coast liberia? huh thanks to naija, zimb, etc

so forget that side

1 love
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by ChinenyeN(m): 7:09pm On Mar 11, 2009
Grouppoint:

For instance, much has been said about Gov Fashola being an excellent administrator. But come 2011 or 2015; if its not the turn of the Yorubas to be president, then Nigeria will have to do without his services. All because his tribe is not yet appropriate for the job.
You want to eliminate indigenous languages because of this??
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by honeric01(m): 11:26pm On Mar 11, 2009
I tire
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Grouppoint(m): 12:09pm On Mar 12, 2009
It is evident even from this thread that we, as Nigerians, hold on to our culture and traditions, so dearly, that everything else, including progress, unity, technology all become a distant second.

I asked what languages Obama spoke?
Is he less progressive or successful than us?

If we could reverse the priority and lay more emphasis on our national identity (as opposed to tribal), thene we will begin to see real progress.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by asha80(m): 12:43pm On Mar 12, 2009
@Groupoint

You do not force union on people.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by tpia: 2:24pm On Mar 12, 2009
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by ChinenyeN(m): 2:36pm On Mar 12, 2009
@Groupoint
What is Nigeria anyway that I should stop speaking my indigenous language? What you are advocating is highly unnecessary. There is nothing regressive about one holding on to one's indigenous language. Everything you are looking to achieve can all be achieved irrespective of one holding on to one's indigenous language. Everything that you are looking to achieve can also be hindered irrespective of one's indigenous language. Banning people from speaking their indigenous language will not help. In short, banning will not work.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Afam4eva(m): 3:42pm On Mar 12, 2009
Grouppoint:

It is evident even from this thread that we, as Nigerians, hold on to our culture and traditions, so dearly, that everything else, including progress, unity, technology all become a distant second.

I asked what languages Obama spoke?
Is he less progressive or successful than us?

If we could reverse the priority and lay more emphasis on our national identity (as opposed to tribal), thene we will begin to see real progress.

You're are one of the few idiots i've met on nairaland. Obama is an lrightAmerican and in america they speak english alright.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Grouppoint(m): 5:29pm On Mar 12, 2009
afam4eva:

You're are one of the few idiots i've met on nairaland. Obama is an lrightAmerican and in america they speak english alright.

@Afam4eva.
I can guarantee you that you have not met me. If you did, you would not refer to me as an idiot.

In America, they also speak other languages, as any idiot most people will tell you for free,
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by kbobo(m): 7:19pm On Mar 14, 2009
Hi,
Banning our local languages will not solve our problems since the average Nigerian is tribalistic.
Any sector in this country that requires people to fit in will be filled using a form of quota system.This is the make up and it does not look like it will change.This system has worked well so far because it allowed those beneficiaries of the quota system to sit up and hope for something worthwhile.
Frankly nobody will say his mother's soup is not sweet,therefore to impose a language that is not yours may be another problem.
Nigeria's problems has nothing to do with our local languages but the individuals that run things in this country.
Cheers.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by suprted(m): 11:13pm On Mar 16, 2009
while banning languages is counterproductive, the poster raises some points.

we definately need to crush tribalism. i would like to see a meritocracy where the best people for the job are appointed/elected. as it is, cabinet is too big, because we have to ensure every state is represented, screw that. (for example the US has about 15 departments or 15 people you would call ministers)

if a state does not have anyone good enough to be a minister tough noogies. for too long people have coasted in mediocrity and we've accepted it based on this need for quotas.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by jaguda(m): 4:25pm On Mar 17, 2009
@ Grouppoint, have u ever bothered to go tru my posts to threads on NL? I have taken a vow not to join issues with you and ur so-called, "Its better over here (living Abroad peasants). U really want to discuss Nigeria, come over to Ojuelegba and talk to the average Nigerian on the street. Onitsha, Aba, Kaduna, Zaria etc, not sumone up there in God Knows where. Ban our Local Languages?

Up there, are u telling me dat Wales as a country has dropped her indigenous Welsh language?

Your posts are senseless and should be deleted fron NL directory.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Thor(m): 4:32pm On Mar 17, 2009
I think that local languages make a big difference and add to our cultural identities. just take the UK with English, Welsh and Gaelic. Nobody uses Gaelic, Welsh is spoken by only a handful of people, and everybody speaks English. We still have to waste money printing all official government documentation in all three languages. Absolute nonsense!

Look at the Swiss with german, Italian and French, absolute nonsence that money has to be wated on printing documents in three languages.

That does not mean that they should not be kept alive and floursish, we should just have all business and official communication in one language. In Nigeria that has to be English, after all Nigeria was under English control for the longest period.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Em2va: 4:03pm On Mar 24, 2009
If you ban our local languages then we become obsolete. The best is for Nigeria to operate state federalism
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Grouppoint(m): 4:00pm On Mar 25, 2009
jaguda:

@ Grouppoint, have u ever bothered to go tru my posts to threads on NL? I have taken a vow not to join issues with you and ur so-called, "Its better over here (living Abroad peasants). U really want to discuss Nigeria, come over to Ojuelegba and talk to the average Nigerian on the street. Onitsha, Aba, Kaduna, Zaria etc, not sumone up there in God Knows where. Ban our Local Languages?

Up there, are u telling me dat Wales as a country has dropped her indigenous Welsh language?

Your posts are senseless and should be deleted fron NL directory.

@jaguda, kindly insert the threads that you refer to. I have no idea what you are talking about.
I also live and work in Nigeria and Overseas. It is really quite difficult to understand why you are making vows and and referring to my posts as senseless on NL. Maybe you got me mixed up with someone else.

Or were you having a bad day?
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by Nobody: 5:29pm On Mar 25, 2009
Well-intentioned as the poster appears, I think his suggestion will do more harm than good to the nation. Any attempt to ban local language will be met by a stiff resistance that will further heat the system. At a time when some people are even clamouring that teaching in school(Prof Babs Fafunwa), deliberations in house(Lagos house) should be made in local languages, attempting to send our mother tongues into extinction will generate a nationwide unease of immeasurable proportion.
I'm especially sure of Hausa/Fulani people, who don't play with their language. They can never buy this. The Yoruba elders, I'm also sure, will not take this lightly(the youths may consider it).

So I think there are better ways to solve our problems than this option.
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by xxcarolxx(f): 8:11pm On Apr 03, 2009
Dont ever give up your native tongue im irish and would love to be able to speak my own language but only recently they have opened irish schools, so hopefully our native tongue will be spoken more through out ireland in the future,
Re: Solve The Nigerian Problem By Banning Our Local Languages. by tpia: 10:00pm On Apr 03, 2009

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Meaning Of Adimunia/adimula ? / Countries That Speak Igbo Languge / Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.