Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:07 AM

Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? (34229 Views)

Owner Of Iphone 6 Sues Apple Over Unresponsive Touchscreens / Bephone Un030 Users Please Respond!!! / Nokia Prepares For Massive Comeback: Fans Keep Their Fingers Crossed - Newstac (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by xcesswag(m): 9:15pm On Jul 10, 2015
Kilo pa iya ijebu?
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by kenedy175(m): 9:16pm On Jul 10, 2015
SPG4U:
I dey come make I sleep again
and you are still sleeping.

Are you a vampire?
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by AgentOfAllah: 9:17pm On Jul 10, 2015
INTERMAN:
Reasons Androids Respond Only To Fingers

I know we have a lot of genius and brilliant people in this place. Ok. This is my question. Why is it that phones like androids, ipad,ipod etc does not respond to other things like erazer, pen,plastic,metals etc but only to human fingers and body?

They don't only respond to your fingers. They respond to any part of your skin, and practically anything that is capable of forming a capacitive (accumulated charge conductor) contact with the screens. The screens have very tiny arrays/matrices of conductive films. When a conductive object contacts the screen, this distorts the electric field of the individual tiny dots in the array. Since the arrays are arranged spatially, you can map the distortions of their electric fields to specific locations on the screen. The only requirement is that your object of contact is sufficiently conductive.
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by mcyemite(m): 9:20pm On Jul 10, 2015
possibilita:
Evrybody in this thread r idiots,d guy asked a question on what he observed bcoz he saw dat most fone especially d old chinko touch screens responds to anything even water but d latest ones don't except fingers and u guys starts typing rubish.if u don't know jst write "I was here,first to comment,jst passing,seen,etc." And leave not show y ur brain responds foolishly to good questions.
sorry sir I think u mistakenly wrote"dont except finger"...are u high
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by mcyemite(m): 9:24pm On Jul 10, 2015
AgentOfAllah:

They don't only respond to your fingers. They respond to any part of your skin, and practically anything that is capable of forming a capacitive (accumulated charge conductor) contact with the screens. The screens have very tiny arrays/matrices of conductive films. When a conductive object contacts the screen, this distorts the electric field of the individual tiny dots in the array. Since the arrays are arranged spatially, you can map the distortions of their electric fields to specific locations on the screen. The only requirement is that your object of contact is sufficiently conductive.
at last Hon. Patrick obahiagbon made it to nairaland...welcome sir
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by mployer(m): 9:27pm On Jul 10, 2015
Moblord:
Not Only finger... just anything containing liquid. blood is d liquid in ur finger try using satchet water it'll work

I actually tried this and it worked cheesy
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by mcyemite(m): 9:29pm On Jul 10, 2015
According to research ,it isn't only fingers they respond to,they respond to all other sensitive part of the body like the crown of the pennies and nipples toogrin > grin >grin>
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by Lexusgs430: 9:29pm On Jul 10, 2015
allanphash7:
Sensible reply

Thank you, Boss!!!
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by jstriker442(m): 9:31pm On Jul 10, 2015
DjAndroid:
Same reason some girls respond to money but don't respond to love.
ans the question and stop acting lyk an illiterate
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by espn(m): 9:31pm On Jul 10, 2015
possibilita:
Evrybody in this thread r idiots,d guy asked a question on what he observed bcoz he saw dat most fone especially d old chinko touch screens responds to anything even water but d latest ones don't except fingers and u guys starts typing rubish.if u don't know jst write "I was here,first to comment,jst passing,seen,etc." And leave not show y ur brain responds foolishly to good questions.
sometimes It surprises me with the way people display der stupidity..i cant c d comparison btw his question and most answers given. He asked a very sensible question..
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by Lexusgs430: 9:31pm On Jul 10, 2015
hecha38:
its called HTS skin sence

HTS skin sence? This is news to me, over to Uncle Google for more research.
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by jstriker442(m): 9:32pm On Jul 10, 2015
wheesin:
just the way your brain responds to asking foolish questions..
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by jstriker442(m): 9:33pm On Jul 10, 2015
Lexusgs430:

Or why do human beings requiring blood transfusion, not get transfused with orijin bitters?
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by mployer(m): 9:33pm On Jul 10, 2015
AgentOfAllah:

You wrote so much grammar but your assertion is practically incorrect.

I just noticed the screen also respond to sachet of water. Where can you find accumulated charge around an insulating nylon sachet?
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by jstriker442(m): 9:33pm On Jul 10, 2015
Lexusgs430:
Are you forgetting stylus input? Why does a car built to run on petrol, not accept water has an alternative means of fuel?
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by DjAndroid: 9:34pm On Jul 10, 2015
jstriker442:

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jul 10, 2015
possibilita:
thanks ... U observd dat b4 me, i use nokia n97 and it responds to anything
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by agent9(m): 9:43pm On Jul 10, 2015
Lexusgs430:

Or why do human beings requiring blood transfusion, not get transfused with orijin bitters?

Lol... orijin ke grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by agent9(m): 9:45pm On Jul 10, 2015
DjAndroid:
Same reason some girls respond to money but don't respond to love.

Very true..... undecided
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by Hidentity(m): 9:45pm On Jul 10, 2015
possibilita:

Right thing said in a wrong manner. I agree with you on your message but not on how you passed it. It was rather too harsh to call 'EVERYBODY' on a thread foolish. Not even an effort to spare those with good comments. Some people here are old enough to be one's parents or elderly ones. The social media should not be a facade in perpetrating moral evils
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by sammyj: 9:48pm On Jul 10, 2015
Because of electrostatic force generated by our body.
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by Princephelar(m): 9:49pm On Jul 10, 2015
Na winchy winchy...

In other news,
Pls My peeps anticipate "THE INTERVIEW" my audio comic skik dropping soonest... 90% loading
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by snadguy007(m): 9:49pm On Jul 10, 2015
Just learnt something new.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by AgentOfAllah: 9:50pm On Jul 10, 2015
mployer:

You wrote so much grammar but your assertion is practically incorrect.

I just noticed the screen also respond to sachet of water. Where can you find accumulated charge around an insulating nylon sachet?

Don't be absurd. If you think a sachet of water isn't conductive, try touching a live wire with it! But you don't get to sue me or the pure water company for damages if you survive, because there is now online evidence that you were well informed before the experiment.

Plastics can accumulate charges-I'm sure you've tried the electrostatic experiment with your pen in primary school-but they aren't good conductors. This doesn't mean they don't conduct at all. So if a plastic is sufficiently thin, it would definitely conduct, and charges can readily be transferred between your hand and the water sachet.
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by saintneo(m): 9:52pm On Jul 10, 2015
INTERMAN:
Reasons Androids Respond Only To Fingers

I know we have a lot of genius and brilliant people in this place. Ok. This is my question. Why is it that phones like androids, ipad,ipod etc does not respond to other things like erazer, pen,plastic,metals etc but only to human fingers and body?

Any object can be used to operate touchscreens if and only if the surface area at the point of contact is large enough. A big eraser can be used.
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by jibbzion(m): 9:54pm On Jul 10, 2015
Lexusgs430:
Are you forgetting stylus input? Why does a car built to run on petrol, not accept water has an alternative means of fuel?

Gentle fellow, you were kindly asked to answer a question. The number of Nigerians failing exams these days are getting much. BTW, congrats on your FTC on a FPP.
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by AgentOfAllah: 9:55pm On Jul 10, 2015
As for the old screens that responded to anything, they were based on resistive sensors. The primary difference between capacitive sensors and resistive ones is that resistive ones don't require charge transfer. The arrays just sense a change in resistance when pressure is applied and respond accordingly. So anything, including insulators can affect resistive screens.
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by betty202020(m): 9:55pm On Jul 10, 2015
possibilita:
including u
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by AgentOfAllah: 9:56pm On Jul 10, 2015
mcyemite:
at last Hon. Patrick obahiagbon made it to nairaland...welcome sir

Haha...you're mildly amusing.
Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by Dpearlz: 9:59pm On Jul 10, 2015
A capacitive touch screen works through the principle of a capacitor. A capacitor consists of two conductors and a dielectric substance meshed between it. When voltage (a difference in potential) is applied between these two plates, charges are stored in the dielectric substance. For a capacitive touch screen, the glass acts as the dielectric substance, the bottom conductor in most cases is in a grid like format, while the top conductor is your finger. The bottom conductor remains in a fixed potential level. The human hand (skin) has some electric charge that is unique to almost all humans, thus when you touch your screen a potential difference is created at that point and charges are stored in the dielectric. This charge is sensed and transmitted to you phone's processor which compares the amount of charge with what is stored in memory ie it tries to recognise if it's a human's touch. Thus your phone responds to your touch (skin) and not to a whole lot of other stuffs.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Touchscreens Respond Only To Fingers? by Lexusgs430: 10:00pm On Jul 10, 2015
jstriker442:

It takes one illiterate, to simply know another!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ten Reasons Why U Should Root Your Android Phone / Top 10 Cheapest Android Phones In Nigeria Below ₦15,000 / How To Unlock MTN Sm@rt Mini S620 Dual SIM Android Phones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.