Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,771 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. (14270 Views)

Between Music And Football Which One Is A Better Career / HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD / Beta Option: Going For HND & Do NYSC Or Bsc Without NYSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by adebayo3816: 2:13pm On Jul 11, 2015
Why Hnd Always Come At First In Any Postin Example Hnd Or Bsc, Hnd\bsc
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 11, 2015
seanblaise:
The world has gone beyond paper qualification. That said, if I am an employer, I would employ sumone who gets the job done and not sumone who has the paper qualification...
The world has not gone beyond paper qualifications. It is still a prerequisite and regulatory requirement to getting some jobs in countries where everything works.
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 11, 2015
ClintonNzedimma:
What i know is that a Petroleum Engineering student in Unilag is nowhere near a student of the same course in PTI warri.
Yes, they can never be "nowhere near". One would become an engineer and the other a technologist.
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by Castos(m): 3:10pm On Jul 11, 2015
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

Which software did you use please for the 3d? I am an architect too
Archicad+Artlantis renderer
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by remirez07(m): 3:11pm On Jul 11, 2015
Castos:
Many have done things you'd never imagine just to live through each passing day. The issue of dichotomy between HND and BSC shouldn't way anyone down or make the other think and believe he/she is better and more favoured.

Most firms and government bodies might employ and promote people with BSC because there has been this frame of mind built round the two certs and not that the individuals involved cannot do the same job well enough. When you say that Poly graduates are Technicians (we know) but what about courses like, Accounting, Pub. Admin, Mass communication, and does it mean that there're Technicians and engineers in Architecture, Building tech in fact the whole school of environmental.

Not withstanding, many judge their dichotomy in terms of Jamb cut-off mark (that doesn't mean that someone who is in the Poly can't make such scores and better) what is big between 200 and 180 as cut-off marks (even at times Universities take it down to 180 due to mass failure in Jamb), I can rewrite next year and do better but I decided to follow the other way.

In this present time where unemployment is the order of the day, and the society is calling for skill acquisition, which cert is more favoured. Now a HND holder is qualified and can still work in that same firm he was rejected at and can also survive on his own due the skill acquired in school. Even in with OND, my friend is working in a bank and furthering his education through weekend program. I myself, as an Architectural student, I've made so many designs and am handling some sites as of now (with OND).

So please my dearest Nairaland siblings, in my own opinion, both certs does not guarantee a better future or make you a hotter cake but it sharpens your way to greatness through what you've done with it not what it has done for you.
OND or Non BSc aร far aร nija aร nation... All u need is favor of God and be collected... Some peoples don't even have all this degree of a thing and they are doing perfectly well. So forget certificate and seek God's favour.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by kuchikau: 4:12pm On Jul 11, 2015
I smell jelosy..abeg go get bsc and stop disturbing us
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by kuchikau: 4:13pm On Jul 11, 2015
I smell jelosy..abeg go get bsc and stop disturbing us...poly stdent are jamb rejected candidates
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by rabbuy(m): 4:30pm On Jul 11, 2015
Walkopet:
[size=18pt]Infact, am tired of hearing about this B.sc&hnd whatever, this discrimination is damn too much, after spending 2yrs for your National Diploma, 1solid year for Industrial Training, and another 2yrs for HND, + additional 1yr strike action, making 6solid yrs, and people will still be condemning such result, I think this yeye government we having should scrap POLYTECNICS, so, this discrimination will stop.

#Enough is Enough.
[/size]

Scrap... What re you saying.. Why do you thik our level of infrastural development is very low.. Cause of people like thus that go to scram one mans formula after his practical achievement
Its high time we look @ this issue as a nation cause honestly majority of b.SC holders is why we re still bringing in "top-engineers" (technicians) from all over the world..
We might have been like Dubai if we knew what was better..
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by rabbuy(m): 4:37pm On Jul 11, 2015
*spread mat and sets up the umbrellas
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by rabbuy(m): 4:37pm On Jul 11, 2015
*grabs coctail and sunshade,sun bathing

*picks up phone to comment
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by rabbuy(m): 4:38pm On Jul 11, 2015
Nice job o.p.... Some b.SC holders cannot do what you did...even masters sef yeye
Well what our age is not seeing is that our world is revolving past paper and sooner than later.. The wind that opens asses will come..
Am going to be an all rounder so either way twil be a win for me.. Iono about nobody
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by great2015(f): 4:56pm On Jul 11, 2015
IT IS WELL.
THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE THAT ARE LIVING COMFORTABLY WITHOUT THEIR CERTIFICATES. DO BUSINESSMEN WHO ARE GRADUATES USE THEIR CERTIFICATES IN EXCHANGE OF GOODS AND SERVICES? NO. WHATEVER U HAVE OR DO IS BY THE GRACE OF GOD NOT BY CERTIFICATE.
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by oluezekiel(m): 5:08pm On Jul 11, 2015
bettercreature:
Dont mind them,they keeps creating thread to console one another,they wont read enough to pass UME,post UME and later they would come here to defend POLY as if employers are fool
I see no reason to end up in POLY if you read very well
the fact still remains polytechnic are for inferior students

Don't talk like that, Polytechnics are not meant for inferior students as you wrongly stated. I'm opportune to have HND in elect. Engr and B.Eng in same course, I completed my HND at the age of 21 before going to Uni (300L). Most of my ND friends that left for Uni then all performed well, graduated with 2.1. These were same people that struggled to have upper credit in the last semester during our ND days. You have opportunity to attend Uni doesn't mean you're better than those in Poly. I understand the two systems very well, HND isn't easily awarded as you might have assumed.
But the biggest error any Poly grads could make is going for PGD to compensate HND. Diploma + Diploma = Diploma

1 Like

Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by tosyne2much(m): 5:41pm On Jul 11, 2015
tallfish145:
Discrimination or not,my own b say make i get a job wit satisfactory salary. If employer like make hin pay bsc holder 200K and pay me,hnd holder 130K,i no send. After d race,we count d miles covered
Hahahahaha cheesy

I love your spirit my man cheesy
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by tosyne2much(m): 5:51pm On Jul 11, 2015
kuchikau:
I smell jelosy..abeg go get bsc and stop disturbing us...poly stdent are jamb rejected candidates
My dear University student, it is such a pity that you are grammatically and structurally deficient

The word is spelt jealousy NOT jelosy

Poly students are NOT poly student are

And lastly, My dear University students NOT my dear university student
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by ednut1(m): 6:07pm On Jul 11, 2015
tosyne2much:
My dear University student, it is such a pity that you are grammatically and structurally deficient

The word is spelt jealousy NOT jelosy

Poly students are NOT poly student are

And lastly, My dear University students NOT my dear university student
mr Man better do the needful and switch. just visit nl job section and take a look at the requirements for 97% of the graduate trainee vacancies. be wise o. no dull am
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by tosyne2much(m): 6:14pm On Jul 11, 2015
ednut1:
mr Man better do the needful and switch. just visit nl job section and take a look at the requirements for 97% of the graduate trainee vacancies. be wise o. no dull am
The truth of the matter is that, those who lack innovation see paper certificates as the only way out of poverty

Bro, even with my HND in view, the thought of being a university student has never for once bothered me

I'm so much bothered about how to generate more money with the little things my hands find doing, and also how to take it to another level, not graduates trainee requirements
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by TOMIWACHAMPION(m): 6:48pm On Jul 11, 2015
The days of this dicotomy are numbered.

Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by EreluY(f): 5:17am On Jul 12, 2015
Walkopet:
[size=18pt]Infact, am tired of hearing about this B.sc&hnd whatever, this discrimination is damn too much, after spending 2yrs for your National Diploma, 1solid year for Industrial Training, and another 2yrs for HND, + additional 1yr strike action, making 6solid yrs, and people will still be condemning such result, I think this yeye government we having should scrap POLYTECNICS, so, this discrimination will stop.
#Enough is Enough.
[/size]

Waste of time and resources. After obtaining GCSE, it only takes TWO YEARS to earn HND in the UK, explaining why it's not considered an equivalent of a UK degree except in universities like LONDON MET, Uni of East London, Sunderland, etc., where TESCO CLUBCARD POINTS (lol) would do.

Stop whinging, Nigerian educational institutions need to wise up and review their curricula that aren't fit for purpose in the 21st Century CE
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by Nobody: 10:09am On Jul 12, 2015
EreluY:

Waste of time and resources. After obtaining GCSE, it only takes TWO YEARS to earn HND in the UK, explaining why it's not considered an equivalent of a UK degree except in universities like LONDON MET, Uni of East London, Sunderland, etc., where TESCO CLUBCARD POINTS (lol) would do.

Stop whinging, Nigerian educational institutions need to wise up and review their curricula that aren't fit for purpose in the 21st Century CE
Yea, EreluY, Oro le so jare, our educational system is bad and frustrating in Nig, imagine, after graduating maybe 6-7yrs, some organisation will be rejecting Hnd cert, will some will be stating someone must have 5-6yrs experience, some will even limit age, i.e, applicant must be 25yrs of age.

I gues ure currently residing in the UK, it's been a long time that I've been longing to sch over there, but as u know, it's very expensive, someone must have up to €10,000 for him/her to sch overthere.

Well, am believing in God cha, I am sure, "with God all things are possible.

And hope you enjoying the summer?

My regards to the Queen.
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by rhames(m): 5:28pm On Jul 12, 2015
Castos:
Many have done things you'd never imagine just to live through each passing day. The issue of dichotomy between HND and BSC shouldn't way anyone down or make the other think and believe he/she is better and more favoured.

Most firms and government bodies might employ and promote people with BSC because there has been this frame of mind built round the two certs and not that the individuals involved cannot do the same job well enough. When you say that Poly graduates are Technicians (we know) but what about courses like, Accounting, Pub. Admin, Mass communication, and does it mean that there're Technicians and engineers in Architecture, Building tech in fact the whole school of environmental.

Not withstanding, many judge their dichotomy in terms of Jamb cut-off mark (that doesn't mean that someone who is in the Poly can't make such scores and better) what is big between 200 and 180 as cut-off marks (even at times Universities take it down to 180 due to mass failure in Jamb), I can rewrite next year and do better but I decided to follow the other way.

In this present time where unemployment is the order of the day, and the society is calling for skill acquisition, which cert is more favoured. Now a HND holder is qualified and can still work in that same firm he was rejected at and can also survive on his own due the skill acquired in school. Even in with OND, my friend is working in a bank and furthering his education through weekend program. I myself, as an Architectural student, I've made so many designs and am handling some sites as of now (with OND).

So please my dearest Nairaland siblings, in my own opinion, both certs does not guarantee a better future or make you a hotter cake but it sharpens your way to greatness through what you've done with it not what it has done for you.

[b] boay: Hello Nairalanders

Some human resources managers and other pundits in related fields have been peddling the idea of 'unemployability' to save and help Nigerian graduates.

One of them once said during a lecture that 'the problem of nigerian graduates is not the prevalence of unemployment that has pervaded the country's economy, but unemployability'

Inasmuch as it is crystal clear that unemployment is prevalent in our country, we should not give this as an exclusive excuse. It is important for us to focus on what we can change id est 'employability'. We can only complain about the high rate of unemployment, only our leader can change the staus quo.

So my question is how can a graduate be an employeable one?

With my 23 years of experience across administrative cadres of an audit firm, two law firms, a medical concern and a conglomerate where i spent my last 15 years before retiring in August 2012 at the age of 39, I have found so many things wrong with Nigerian graduates and why the best employers dont go for them. The standard of education has fallen to the extent where graduates commit hell of mistakes in basic communication. Why this is prevalent is that the Nigerian graduate dont read books beyond their texts. I once asked an interviewee graduate what was his prospect working for our organisation. He replied" I will do my best to perform well on the job"Tautology.He met his Waterloo with that answer. You can hardly see a Nigerian graduate reading a motivational book, watching an educative television program like Donald Trumps apprentice, or even attending a seminar for the sake of it. Some are simply arrogant and have no regards for bureaucracy because their qualifications has made them crazy. They are thinking of a job that can provide the good things of life for them. So easy to make a lot of money.We dont pick it on trees.A Nigerian graduate hates pressure. They cant work in the most difficult environment. They know little of Customer relations management. Most graduates of Business administration cant even write a sales pitch or business plan. They argue that they were not taught these things in school. Even if they are not,they dont reason that such little things matter on the way up. Most of them lack initiative and dont have future plans until the reality sets in.

I am now an entrepreneur.

I believe they should simply change their approach to life and get into the information age as fast as they can. That is a chip of the iceberg for you undergraduates and graduates reading this. Cheers.[/b]
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by seanblaise(m): 9:15pm On Jul 12, 2015
saxywale:

The world has not gone beyond paper qualifications. It is still a prerequisite and regulatory requirement to getting some jobs in countries where everything works.
By saying the world has gone beyond Paper qualification, I meant developed countries no longer look at what you read while in skul...If ur certificate says you are an Architect, then design a building for us....that's now the real deal....Are we on the same page?
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by Nobody: 5:36am On Jul 13, 2015
seanblaise:

By saying the world has gone beyond Paper qualification, I meant developed countries no longer look at what you read while in skul...If ur certificate says you are an Architect, then design a building for us....that's now the real deal....Are we on the same page?
Well, they still look and we are not on the same page. If there is a vacancy for an engineering graduate. The "basic" requirement is still an engineering degree. Designing, presentation skills, project management skills e.t.c would be tested during the interview stage. No one gives a professional job without interviews where competency skills are tested. Some would require you to also submit a portfolio of your works. Nobody gives a professional job based on certificates without testing the competency of the candidates. That's why the vacancies are called competition.
Re: Hnd Or Bsc, Not A Factor For A Better Career. by abnot: 10:20am On Jul 13, 2015
I believe that there is no single rule applicable to all individuals. Having earned a bachelors degree in the United States and a masters in the UK , I returned home to work and landed a job within 2 months. One thing I noticed within my first two months was the frequency at which I was invited for interviews basically every week. Despite landing about 6-7 interviews, I was only able to secure one offer but was afforded the opportunity to interact with many Nigerian trained graduates and made the following observations :
1. Many Nigerian graduates did not appear as graduates to me. They lacked the composure (packaging), confidence and basic knowledge required of graduates. Moreover these lapses were more evident amongst the diploma holders. Peeps from UI, UniLag , OAU appeared more appeasing and sellable to employers. I wonder why.
2. The Nigerian educational curriculum needs a dramatic upgrade to prepare graduates for present day challenges. Most firms don't have budgetary provisions for graduate trainee programs and prefer to hire graduates who can do the job with little or no training. This has nothing to do with BSc or HND. Nevertheless, BSc holders are perceived by employers to be better candidates due to the research and problem solving skills bachelors degree programs emphasises. Nevertheless, outliers (under performers and over performers )can be seen in both BSc and HND programs and it will be wrong to make inferences based on a few successful or unsuccessful BSc and HND holders. Our argument should reflect what typically goes on in our society and not what one or two individuals have accomplished using either a BSc or HND.
3. From my observation in the organisation I work, the Ond and HND holders are given the dirty jobs to perform (repair work, unskilled marketing campaigns etc)!while the professionals with a BSc and may be an MBA perform the brain work and participate in high profile meetings and earn more. In addition, a Look at the firm's management team showed that only one member of staff was trained via the HND route while the rest of the members of staff on the firm's management team had BSc's as well as a couple of MBAs .
I personally will not advise anyone aiming to secure a management position someday to take the OND-HND-PGD path.
4. When I was taking the aptitude test at one of the big four accounting firms, a candidate was boothed out and clearly told that the firm only considers BSc holders for employment. I will advise even my enemies to consider what path they want to take in life and decide on whether to follow the BSc path or HND path.
5. Lastly, some people have questioned the relevance of paper qualification in our society. I believe that the paper is a mere documentation that represents some level of knowledge and expertise earned by the holder of the paper qualification. My university education empowered me so much so that I keep imagining what I would have been without the rigorous education i received in the university. I don't think the we should attend schools with the mindset of getting a paper or certificate. I had the mindset of a seeker of knowledge all through my university days and I am still feeling the positive impact.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do I Handle A Colleague That Steals Money At Work? / BOSIET Training By Chevron / Should I Return The Funds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.