Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,543 members, 7,823,379 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ (30170 Views)

IBB, Shehu Yar’adua & Nyako In Makkah For Hajj, 1989 / I Dumped Nyako For Atiku Because He Gave Me N500 Million- Adamawa Governor / Nyako's Case, Two Witnesses Die In A Mysterious Way After Given Evidence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by Slingkey(m): 12:46am On Jul 11, 2015
***Bail to ex-Adamawa governor, others threat to witnesses —EFCC

***Court grants Nyako, son, others N1.4bn bail

A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, yesterday, admitted to bail a former governor of Adamawa State, Murtala Nyako, his son, Abdulaziz and two others standing trial for alleged N40 billion money laundering charge.

That was about three hours after the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, pleaded with the court against exercising its discretion in favour of the accused persons on six grounds, including that the freedom of the accused was a threat to its witnesses.

Private counsel to the EFCC, Mr Rotimi Jacobs, SAN, had told the court yesterday that two of EFCC’s key witnesses against the accused persons had died mysteriously after volunteering indicting statements against the accused persons.

He gave their identities as Ma’aji Mohammad Iro and Abdulmalik Dalhatu, adding that they were not involved in autocrash but just died mysteriously.

EFCC expressed fear that if Nyako and the three others were granted bail, they might use their positions to cow other witnesses from coming out and that it would have difficulty prosecuting the case.

Jacobs also argued yesterday that both the former governor and his son, a serving senator might jump bail if so granted, because the duo fled the country after they were admitted to administrative bail by the EFCC while the matter was still under investigation.

He said they did not get them back until they procured a warrant of arrest from court and declared them wanted on the internet.

EFCC further argued yesterday that there was a prima facie evidence against the accused persons as investigation had shown that former Governor Nyako diverted public funds running into billions of naira into private accounts of companies belonging to them to develop an estate in Abuja.

Expressing fear that not only the grave offence committed by them but also the massive and incontrovertible evidence already piled up against them would tempt them to bolt away, Jacobs added that hiring 15 lawyers to defend the case was an evidence that the accused were ready to do anything to get off the hook anyway, anyhow.

EFCC suggested to the court to issue an order of accelerated hearing in the case and hear the matter day to day instead of releasing them to the free world and pose threat to its witnesses.

But the trial judge, Justice Elvis Chukwu, notwithstanding the litany of reasons given by EFCC yesterday admitted them to bail, albeit attached stringent conditions to the bail.

The accused persons were admitted to bail in the sum of N350 million each totalling N1.4 billion with two sureties in like sum each, one of which must be a serving director in the federal civil service.

They were also ordered to drop their international passports and other travel documents in their possession with the deputy registrar of the court if they must breathe air of freedom.

Justice Chukwu held that the stringent conditions were attached to ensure that they would attend court so that trial would not be delayed.

EFCC had, on Wednesday, arraigned Nyako, his senator son and two other individuals alongside four corporate persons on 37 count charge bothering on money laundering.

Others listed on the charge sheet filed by Yusuf Ali, acting deputy Director of Legal and Prosecution Department of EFCC as co-accused are: Zulkifikk Abba; Abubakar Aliyu; Blue Opal Limited; Sebore Farms and Extension Limited; Pagoda Fortunes limited; Towers Assets Management Limited and Crust energy Limited.

The accused persons however, pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

When the matter came up yesterday, defence counsel, Kanu Agabi, SAN, brought an application for bail for the accused, dated July 10 and filed on the same day.

Agabi predicated the application on Section 118 (2) of the Criminal Procedure Act and Section 35 of the 1999 Constitution, arguing that what the prosecution emphasised in its opposition is that the accused will not come for trial if granted bail.

He said that contrary to EFCC’s fear, the accused persons were happy to stand trial because it afforded them a rare opportunity to clear themselves

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/nyakos-trial-two-witnesses-die-after-giving-evidence/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by Karlman: 12:48am On Jul 11, 2015
K
Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by idupaul: 12:50am On Jul 11, 2015
Desperate Nyako

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by Cutehector(m): 12:50am On Jul 11, 2015
Nothin like witness protection

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by Davijunson: 12:51am On Jul 11, 2015
after this one now, person go say make I come be witness.. . abeg I no see o.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by tociano009(m): 12:53am On Jul 11, 2015
grin
Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by Nobody: 12:57am On Jul 11, 2015
See posters above me.................... They don't have reasonable thing to write..... All booking space!!!!!!!!!! Back to d topic, Who killed them What killed themhow do they died?? Are they buried now?? Do they have relatives? When and where will d final buria takes place? Etc

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by Vivalavida99(f): 12:59am On Jul 11, 2015
Humm....

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by RICKYMARIO(m): 1:02am On Jul 11, 2015
nyako ko, nyama ni.....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by Nobody: 1:05am On Jul 11, 2015
OP please edit your post to make it more reader friendly. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by denedene(m): 1:15am On Jul 11, 2015
40billion naira? and he was granted bail? how did lamido end up in jail sef! anyways! none of my business

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by Nobody: 1:20am On Jul 11, 2015
What can we call this?!
Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by Nobody: 1:43am On Jul 11, 2015
wonder where OP learnt this kind of writing skill from
Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by EverestdeBliu(m): 2:04am On Jul 11, 2015
ajibolabd:
See posters above me.................... They don't have reasonable thing to write..... All booking space!!!!!!!!!! Back to d topic, Who killed them What killed themhow do they died?? Are they buried now?? Do they have relatives? When and where will d final buria takes place? Etc
...and to you,this is your defination for a reasonable post?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by Cpumping(m): 2:45am On Jul 11, 2015
Op ur post is ...
Biko edit it
Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by speeder(m): 3:51am On Jul 11, 2015
WO! Difficult to interpret. I could possibly say Nyako killed them after threatening them not to witness in court. I could also say APC killed them to make it seem Nyako did it. I can't believe anything again
Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by heykims(m): 5:07am On Jul 11, 2015
This case is the befitting definition of "lobatan".
Since the deaths are mysterious, i dont d law court can recognise that as man induced, afterall d constitution doesnt recognize jazz or metaphysical powers.
In my place, we call them olokiki late hour.

3 Likes

Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by donpope1(m): 5:12am On Jul 11, 2015
Why not grant him bail with the same amount that equals the money he laundered(40 billion) I.e the Ohakim way angry angry

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by boboLIL(m): 5:30am On Jul 11, 2015
I was here

Back fr0m nairaland pris0n......ts really n0t a place t0 be 0h.....thank G0d I'm free t0 c0mment n0w....

Wh0eva ban me,,,, ur bl00d de h0t 0h

3 Likes

Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by Vicadonis(m): 5:32am On Jul 11, 2015
This one strong ooooo
Dem don make mistake stand against the devil... Na jazz be Dis one I swear.
Make I hear say I do witness for anybody.... even police fit come ur house come kill u for being a witness...
I too fear this country
Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by kheart(m): 5:36am On Jul 11, 2015
Na wa, so efcc wan still call d remaining witnesses? If I hear say I go make my moniker change to klife.
Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by chronique(m): 5:39am On Jul 11, 2015
This is really bad;how on earth do they expect more witnesses to testify in this case again?
Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by juman(m): 5:49am On Jul 11, 2015
Hmmmmm

Nyako failed as military man and also failed as politician.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:50am On Jul 11, 2015
Standing as a witness in a court and giving the police information are two things, for now, I won't do. I no fit come die.

2 Likes

Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by modskiller(m): 6:26am On Jul 11, 2015
40 whooping Billion Naira??

He should be killed immediately.

Wait how did they even got his bail for #350 Million Naira, when we all know that the real har working nigerians evens find it hard to amass #30 million in a year?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by UncleJudax(m): 6:31am On Jul 11, 2015
barcanista:
OP please edit your post to make it more reader friendly. Thank you
Each paragraph is followed by a plot of space grin

1 Like

Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by free2ryhme: 6:48am On Jul 11, 2015
Pls don't push this rubbish to frontpage
Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by funlord(m): 7:19am On Jul 11, 2015
Slingkey:
A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja,
yesterday, admitted to bail a former
governor of Adamawa State, Murtala Nyako,
his son, Abdulaziz and two others standing
trial for alleged N40 billion money
laundering charge.

That was about three hours after the
Economic and Financial Crimes Commission,
EFCC, pleaded with the court against
exercising its discretion in favour of the
accused persons on six grounds, including
that the freedom of the accused was a
threat to its witnesses.

Private counsel to the EFCC, Mr Rotimi Jacobs, SAN, had told the court yesterday that two of EFCC’s key witnesses against the accused persons had died mysteriously after volunteering indicting statements against the accused persons.

He gave their identities as Ma’aji Mohammad
Iro and Abdulmalik Dalhatu, adding that they
were not involved in autocrash but just died
mysteriously.

EFCC expressed fear that if Nyako and the
three others were granted bail, they might
use their positions to cow other witnesses
from coming out and that it would have
difficulty prosecuting the case.

Jacobs also argued yesterday that both the
former governor and his son, a serving
senator might jump bail if so granted,
because the duo fled the country after they
were admitted to administrative bail by the
EFCC while the matter was still under
investigation.

He said they did not get them back until they
procured a warrant of arrest from court and
declared them wanted on the internet.

EFCC further argued yesterday that there
was a prima facie evidence against the
accused persons as investigation had
shown that former Governor Nyako diverted
public funds running into billions of naira
into private accounts of companies
belonging to them to develop an estate in Abuja.

Expressing fear that not only the grave
offence committed by them but also the
massive and incontrovertible evidence
already piled up against them would tempt
them to bolt away, Jacobs added that hiring
15 lawyers to defend the case was an
evidence that the accused were ready to do
anything to get off the hook anyway,
anyhow.

EFCC suggested to the court to issue an
order of accelerated hearing in the case and
hear the matter day to day instead of
releasing them to the free world and pose
threat to its witnesses.

But the trial judge, Justice Elvis Chukwu,
notwithstanding the litany of reasons given
by EFCC yesterday admitted them to bail,
albeit attached stringent conditions to the
bail.

The accused persons were admitted to bail
in the sum of N350 million each totalling
N1.4 billion with two sureties in like sum
each, one of which must be a serving
director in the federal civil service.

They were also ordered to drop their
international passports and other travel
documents in their possession with the
deputy registrar of the court if they must
breathe air of freedom.

Justice Chukwu held that the stringent
conditions were attached to ensure that
they would attend court so that trial would
not be delayed.

EFCC had, on Wednesday, arraigned Nyako,
his senator son and two other individuals
alongside four corporate persons on 37
count charge bothering on money laundering.

Others listed on the charge sheet filed by
Yusuf Ali, acting deputy Director of Legal and
Prosecution Department of EFCC as co-
accused are: Zulkifikk Abba; Abubakar Aliyu;
Blue Opal Limited; Sebore Farms and
Extension Limited; Pagoda Fortunes limited;
Towers Assets Management Limited and
Crust energy Limited.

The accused persons however, pleaded not
guilty to all the charges.

When the matter came up yesterday,
defence counsel, Kanu Agabi, SAN, brought
an application for bail for the accused, dated
July 10 and filed on the same day.

Agabi predicated the application on Section
118 (2) of the Criminal Procedure Act and
Section 35 of the 1999 Constitution, arguing
that what the prosecution emphasised in its
opposition is that the accused will not come
for trial if granted bail.

He said that contrary to EFCC’s fear, the
accused persons were happy to stand trial
because it afforded them a rare opportunity
to clear themselves.

Source:www.nationalmirror.net/new/nyako-trial-two-witnesses-die-after-giving-evidence/

cc:lalasticlala

Op abeg na so you go space am 4 us next time ehn? Even if you be "SPACE CREATURE" you go pity those of us wey be human beings!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by iamboody(m): 7:23am On Jul 11, 2015
This is not funny.
Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by Nobody: 7:48am On Jul 11, 2015
Do we still have a functioning NPF? This should be investigated
Re: Nyako’s Trial: ‘two Witnesses Die After Giving Evidence’ by kally01(m): 7:55am On Jul 11, 2015
UncleJudax:
Each paragraph is followed by a plot of space grin
lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ghana President-Elect, Akufo-Addo Visits Buhari (Photos) / 2023 Presidency splits Tinubu, Osinbajo - Sunnews / Buhari Is Prepping A War With Tinubu By Lanre Adewole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.