Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,604 members, 7,820,158 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:39 AM

Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. (51133 Views)

Bostwana Student Wears Towel To Campus (Photos) / Nigerian University With The Best Hostel Facilities? / State Universities With The Best Infrastructures And Facilities- Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jul 13, 2015
semitunde:

Lol. Too many photos. I was just taking them randomly as I walked about.

Come over na and visit the school yourself.

I don't have tocheesy. I grew up in Nigeria and I know how terrible our buildings are.
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by CoolBigSam(m): 9:49pm On Jul 13, 2015
123gist:

Chooiiii....... cheesy those kind class wey them dey use one yansh sit-down still open umbrella incase of sun and rain! grin if u enta library text-books page no de ever de complete
lol...you really creased me up, but na which kyn uni yu attend na?
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by Sagamite(m): 9:52pm On Jul 13, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Before the oil boom...we were earning lots of money from agriculture.

(ABU was built with agric money for example.)

Also,some universities took over existing facilities. (ABU took over NCAST,Zaria,IAR Zaria...and severalothers).

But most importantly.....the number of students entering unviersity was few. (Back then if you wanted to enter university....1) You had to pass O level...and at a certain level. No such thing as five credits). 2) Passing O level qulaifed you for two extra years in secondary school....A level...which you had to pass very well to enter university. ). By 1979...we just had 80000univeristy students....and six universities...with 3 in the pipeline. Now we have over 2million university students...with 50 govt owned universities (I have not mentioned poly).

So...you see the problem.

And all those universities need money.

World class universities like UCLA have budgets of $100BN (100 billion dollars). LASU has $55million. Why won't UCLA have world class...while LASU cannot even do third class research?

I know...corruption.Our universities have a lot of corruption.But even if we eradicate it....the only road to world class facilties is by what I ahve just outlined. And we have to also diversify. We have no choice.

Where are they going to get the money from when "superstar" (by Nigerian standards) governors like Akpabio are using millions of dollars to build "world class" stadiums which would be used maximum 6 times a year and the likes of cretins from his state like pendusky are so proud of it?

Ask what he spent on education to make it world class and you will get silence.

But they have stadium sha. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Now they cannot pay state workers. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Akpabio the magnificent. grin

Oh, I forgot, he did not give world class education to the masses but he tried to give himself world class pension of N100m per year.

GIANT OF AFRICA TINZ! grin
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by semitunde: 9:56pm On Jul 13, 2015
Insidous:

I don't have tocheesy. I grew up in Nigeria and I know how terrible our buildings are.

But you never went to OAU though...

Visit when you're around... It won't change your perspective, but it will show you we still have hope.

Besides, OAU wasn't built or designed to be like most foreign universities, its consept was uniquely based on taking advantage of its environment and climate. You will get it wrong, trying to compare it with modern foreign buildings.

For instance, one of the building I took there has natural lighting that looks like its electricity driven, but its simply naturally illuminated.
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by semitunde: 10:01pm On Jul 13, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Africa's must beautiful campus.

True.

Many people nowadays have a foreign biased concept of beauty.

I have almost 100 pics here of different places, but it will derail this thread kind of.
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:05pm On Jul 13, 2015
semitunde:

True.

Many people nowadays have a foreign biased concept of beauty.

I have almost 100 pics here of different places, but it will derail this thread kind of.
I just finished reading some informative facts about the University of Ife (now OAU) on the website of Arieh Sharon, the Israeli architect that designed the campus.
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by semitunde: 10:06pm On Jul 13, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Government funds too many schools.

Fact is....if you want first class...you pay for first class.

And right now...thanks to the drop in oil money....we do not have the cash for first class...oreven third class.

Yes I know...corruption.....but a good university with all those facilities you see.....they are made possible by 1) High fees 2) Universities over there being run as private concerns 3) High taxes. and 4) Situated in countries with diversified economies. If you want that kind of class....better be prepared to pay for it.Even if we eradicate corruption tomorrow....the govt does not have N3 trillion or even the N10 trillion needed for our universities.

And before you call me harsh.....I know.I hate what I have just said.If I had my way....students will pay N10000 per annum.But it is because they pay that amount of money....that we can not have high class facilities. (And during my parents time...they had everything. Also....the population of university students in Nigeria back then was less than the population of students in ABU or UI today.).

But overall....you are paying the price for living in a resource dependent economy. That is why Buhari better get us off oil dependency....or he gets out by 2019.Oil is a curse.

So how are the Scandinavian Universities being run?

Isn't their tuition mostly free? Even for foreigners
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by Sagamite(m): 10:07pm On Jul 13, 2015
tpiadotcom:

oponu radarada

You are a cretinous fuuktard!
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:08pm On Jul 13, 2015
semitunde:

Visit when you're around... It won't change your perspective, but it will show you we still have hope.

Besides, OAU wasn't built or designed to be like most foreign universities, its consept was uniquely based on taking advantage of its environment and climate. You will get it wrong, trying to compare it with modern foreign buildings.

For instance, one of the building I took there has natural lighting that looks like its electricity driven, but its simply naturally illuminated.
You're right. Arieh Sharon put into consideration some climatic conditions before he designed the campus.

1 Like

Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by semitunde: 10:13pm On Jul 13, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

I just finished reading some informative facts about the University of Ife (now OAU) on the website of Arieh Sharon, the Israeli architect that designed the campus.

I saw the Covenant University ( funny the school itself was built borrowing from the OAU concept), and I thought the oduduwa hall (not Amphi theater), with all its light would beat that easily.

Covenant is the only Nigerian university shown here apart from OAU.
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by tpiadotcom: 10:16pm On Jul 13, 2015
Sagamite:

I am a cretinous fuuktard!

don't worry, you will find what you're looking for.
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by tpiadotcom: 10:17pm On Jul 13, 2015
Insidous:

what a d.umb response to a question?

I do hope civility is not wasted on you.
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by tpiadotcom: 10:19pm On Jul 13, 2015
semitunde:

I saw the Covenant University ( funny the school itself was built borrowing from the OAU concept), and I thought the oduduwa hall (not Amphi theater), with all its light would beat that easily.

Covenant is the only Nigerian university shown here apart from OAU.

Federal University Kogi was also shown, although the book lawn with the waterfall looks like photoshop, unless someone can provide a close up picture from different angles.

LAUTECH, Jos are also on the thread.

and some uncomplimentary photos of two other schools.
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by semitunde: 10:21pm On Jul 13, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

You're right. Arieh Sharon put into consideration some climatic conditions before he designed the campus.

You know a new Senate building is being built? I kinda know one or two things about that...

To be located opposite the bookshop, beside HSLT. That are of land beside the first bus top when you get into the school.

Work has started already. CBN funded.
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by akigbemaru: 10:23pm On Jul 13, 2015
Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See.)
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by tpiadotcom: 10:25pm On Jul 13, 2015
semitunde:

You know a new Senate building is being built?

shocked

I think the old one is ok but I guess change is constant.

I hope they don't build one of those unflattering modern designs though?

To be located opposite the bookshop, beside HSLT. That are of land beside the first bus top when you get into the school.

Work has started already. CBN funded.

wonder if the greenery is vanishing from there . . . . . . . . . .
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by semitunde: 10:27pm On Jul 13, 2015
tpiadotcom:

Federal University Kogi was also shown, although the book lawn with the waterfall looks like photoshop, unless someone can provide a close up picture from different angles.

Many of the pictures of especially the foreign universities here have been taken with high tech cameras. Many of them automatically enhance the pictures, hence more colourful.

Also, I think the weather in many European countries help. They don't have the brown/ orange tinge associated with dust flying around.

OK. My bad, I didn't see the other schools.
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by tpiadotcom: 10:30pm On Jul 13, 2015
^ smiley
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by semitunde: 10:31pm On Jul 13, 2015
tpiadotcom:

shocked

I think the old one is ok but I guess change is constant.

I hope they don't build one of those unflattering modern designs though?

wonder if the greenery is vanishing from there . . . . . . . . . .

Lol. The design is OAU specs. But I fear changes would be made cos the funds can't cover the original design.

Can't say more than that for now...
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by CoolBigSam(m): 10:31pm On Jul 13, 2015
abatically:

Great isn't it? But trust me education is not cheap in advanced countries. The money u pay for the whole duration of a 5 year course in Nigeria is not enough to pay for 1 semester in those universities. So me I no dey complain because we still have a long way to go. Last time lasu school fees was increased and hell was let lose. Some universities abroad pay as much as $20,000 just for one session. That is a whopping 4.3 million Naira. Can we pay that in Nigeria?
Yea true. But the standard of living is relatively high in those countries and in a way makes up for that.
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by tpiadotcom: 10:33pm On Jul 13, 2015
semitunde:

Lol. The design is OAU specs. But I fear changes would be made cos the funds can't cover the original design.

shocked

well, they can modify the scale I guess, without compromising the design basics.
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by semitunde: 10:42pm On Jul 13, 2015
tpiadotcom:

shocked

well, they can modify the scale I guess, without compromising the design basics.

Its what's being looked at currently.

As per the old one being enough, I heard that it was originally part of master plan to site the senate building at its new location. Maybe the old one will become the administrative building. Already, Exams and Records has occupied the new completed wing of the now "old" senate building.
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by tpiadotcom: 10:45pm On Jul 13, 2015
I heard that it was originally part of master plan to site the senate building at its new location

ok,

the old photos also show a lot of palm trees on the campus, those are all gone now, so I guess there are modifications over the years. Now its mainly flowering and fruit trees.

eg, this palm tree in front of Oduduwa Hall, no longer there:

Not sure of the date of the photo.

Already, Exams and Records has occupied the new completed wing of the now "old" senate building

hope its too secure for expo.
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jul 13, 2015
semitunde:

No, I have got lot of friends there though

I understand but still it is nothing to write home about if I compared with old architectures.
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by abatically(m): 10:54pm On Jul 13, 2015
CoolBigSam:
Yea true. But the standard of living is relatively high in those countries and in a way makes up for that.

Niegeians like better things but don't want to pay the price. Better things don't come cheap. Yes standard of living here is low, that is why our educational system has to be substandard too to balance things. If govt build world class universities, how many people can afford to pay 4 million Naira for a semester? Then it will be like education is only for the rich huh. Last time fuel subsidy was removed we all went on strike, now we are paying the price as it only favors some people while the masses are suffering. Now we still buy that fuel for N100 and above and not without queues.
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by tpiadotcom: 11:02pm On Jul 13, 2015
semitunde:

. . . . . .

btw, seems its on Wikipedia already, is this the project:

Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by CoolBigSam(m): 11:04pm On Jul 13, 2015
The glittering state of all this wonderful structures just amazes me.
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by semitunde: 11:06pm On Jul 13, 2015
tpiadotcom:

btw, seems its on Wikipedia already, is this the project:

The link you put here is giving error reports.

In any case, if the location is as I described, then that's the building.

OK. I can see its a pix, this doesn't show the actual location.

Going along that road one, its on the right. But stop area.

I have pics of the architecture design and on going works but I'll need permissions to put them online.
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by tpiadotcom: 11:08pm On Jul 13, 2015
here's the link:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/Main_Campus%2C_Obafemi_Awolowo_University%2C_Ile-Ife%2C_Osun_State%2C_Nigeria_%2812997698895%29.jpg

its also on wiki commons, I think that's a wiki photo site.
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by tpiadotcom: 11:08pm On Jul 13, 2015
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by flyca: 11:09pm On Jul 13, 2015
Universities in China have very cool facilities too.

I was just telling my friend that our school stadia (we have 2 of them), are better than most states' stadium in Nigeria. Masterpiece!
Re: Some Cool Campus Facilities You Really Need To See. by semitunde: 11:14pm On Jul 13, 2015
tpiadotcom:
you have to copy and paste the whole link into your browser.

Who owns that flicker page?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Unilag Students Share The Present State Of Their #350k Hostel(pics,vid) / Unilag-made Car Emerges Third Best In World Competition / E-learning: Atlantic Hall Imposes N175,000 Monthly Fee For Online Learning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.